Who can pass a seed rack without buying seeds?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Grayce, no, it won't hurt plants at all; just critters with soft bodies. Not good for lungs, though.

I can't figure out why my peppers didn't germinate; I just read up on saving pepper seed and I did it correctly. And I can't buy these seeds; they're from a friend in France who got the seeds from a pepper he bought in a market in Hungary....They were nice long sweet peppers, too, and my favorites. I hope he sends me some more!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I do save pepper seeds its just so easy to buy seeds and Im not very patient, or organized.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I save seeds as well as buying. I tend not to care for "mixes" of colors (I'm more a flower person than edibles as far as my garden goes) so I pick single color packs of seeds and keep seeds from them. I also snatch seeds when I'm out and about--garden centers, commercial plantings, even the zoo:lol: I like options=)

I also like some of the package artwork even when the seeds may be duds. I still get the Shumway catalog and love the drawn pictures in it and Renee's Garden has some beautiful artwork on their seeds packages.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Grayce -

Quoting:
is THAT why my carrots and marigold seedlings up and disappeared on me one day?

Probably! It's amazing how much fodder these pests can consume in one night.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I bought two 6 inch containers of curly parsley-potted up and by the following afternoon when I got home from work, all I had was inch high stems on both plants. Culprits were a pair of big fat lime green caterpillars. This happened to me two years in a row so I sort of gave up on parsley:lol:

I'll bet the caterpillars made beautiful butterflies, but I know that's not what you bought the parsley for...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Betting they did too:) Eh, I can always snatch up some at the grocery store:lol: I think I just need to sow my own in bulk and have enough for all of us:)

Those caterpillars love my fennel, too. DH takes them off, but I figure I have enough to share...

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Black wasps will feed caterpillars to their young. Hmm... I haven't seen any wasps yet this year.

I've seen a couple of bumblebees, so that's a good thing.

I haven't seen many wasp this year, I'm usually plagued with them, but let them thrive to keep all the spiders and cats in check. Where could they have gone? weird.

Warrenton, VA

Went into my sister's house today with my mom. We'd gotten her some groceries and wanted to get them to her. Mom said that she wasn't into planting much, but there, on the counter were three seed packets. HA! Even non-gardeners get bitten by the bug!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.