Who can pass a seed rack without buying seeds?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Evidently I can't 'cause these three jumped into my cart yesterday!

Kentucky Wonder pole beans: now that my neighbor has put in all the 8ft supports I purchased in December, I decided to add these to the same row as bush beans.

Detroit Dark Red beet: I'm planning a Winter garden area for the first time so decided to add these.

Snowball Y Cauliflower: I've never tried growing cauliflower, so this will be a new adventure.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I can. The reason is because of the varieties they put on the rack. The ones you listed are all old fashioned ones that are very cheap. The Snowball cauliflower is only $4.25 for 1 ounce, 10000 seeds, at my supplier. How many seeds are in a pack from a rack?

Much more fun looking at all the pretty pictures on the internet catalogs. Then pick a superior variety to plant.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I can. Well mostly because I dont let myself go in that department. LOL But also because I wont buy seeds from just any company. I have a few Companies I trust, and this one English Lady...Dmail me if your looking for anymore seeds for your Winter Garden. My summer garden always seems to kick into Over Drive when I should be planting out my Fall/winter stuff.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Actually did it today at Lowe's, only because I was looking for insecticide and weed killer...

What did you buy? If I brought 1 more seed into the house my family would kill me. My whole kitchen table is covered...

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Only because I have almost all the varieties already, but I still look :-)

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I bought some kale at a garden supply place Tuesday, but only because the seed packet of the Lacinato Kale that I had ordered had very few seeds in it, so I needed more....Mostly I buy online because the choices are so much better.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

I cant go past one without looking, but mostly i dont buy.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Like others, I can pass by the standard racks of stuff but my hydro store?? Well that's a cat of a different stripe. Those guys only buy seed from Seeds of Change and Baker Creek Seed company. The rack pulls me in like a magent.

Seeds of Change must have been last year, everything I've picked up lately are Baker Creek: Grandpa Otts Morning Glory; Emerald Okra (2 packs); Genovese Basil (2 packs - for some strange reason!!); Armenian cukes (

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I look for local varieties or those that do well in my area. There are a couple of feed or hardware stores in town that carry mostly seeds for local gardens. If I see anything I want to try I do buy. I got a bag of 500 cantalope seeds this past Jan for $14.95 less 20% (hardware store was having a promotion day for Husqvarna and some gun company or other). Seeds are from a very reputable company. I thought that was an awsome buy and we will be rolling in cantalope this summer! Even a common variety tastes way better coming from your own garden ☺!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I forgot to mention they gave DH a free hat with that!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

You can never pass up a free hat!

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I always have to look. There are a few things that I buy off the rack, but not many. I do get ideas about things to order, though.

Warrenton, VA

I believe that it is THE LAW to buy when you go by...!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

In response to this threads title, I think I've managed once in five or six years to do that.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

CountryGardens - the seeds were $1.99 and are from "Southern Exposure Seed Exchange." The cauliflower pkg states that there are 600 seeds.

Most of my othere seeds this year were purchased from Johnny's. I only picked up these three because I decided to expand the garden this fall.

"I only picked up these three because".....LOL, Bee, haven't we all said that.

Seeds are about the only thing interesting in stores... I'm not explaining myself to nobody :0)

Forget how much I spent, look how much I saved. Hehe What are you going to do with 600 Cauliflower?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello, my name is Stephanie and I'm a seedaholic. I have a difficult time passing up a rack without WANTING to buy something. Usually my mind tells me no and I obey. I occasionally don't listen, though.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

The good thing for me is that I usually pass the same seed racks so I know what's on them.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought several packs today, but thats because Im gearing up for my Fall garden. Otherwise, I usually stop and 'dream', but never buy because I have such limited space to plant a garden (currently working on a SFG with 2 - 4'x6' boxes). Oh how I envy those with at least an acre of yard for which to garden!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

You guys/gals are a hoot!

Quoting:
What are you going to do with 600 Cauliflower?

I'll think of something ^_^

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Cauliflower keep forever, so if you plant 20 a year, you have enough for 30 years! Only 6¢ a year! WOW!

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

I think after about 10 years I'd get a LITTLE tired of cauliflower....Now tomatoes would be a different story...

This message was edited Apr 15, 2012 11:47 PM

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

How does one keep cauliflower forever (other than freezing it)? Not that I want to keep it forever, but it would be nice to know how to extend its keeping qualities.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I meant the seed.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
I meant the seed.

LOL - sorry (duh) I should have realized that!

Actually, that's good to know. Thanks, CountryGardens. ^_^

Ohhh bee...LOL

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

It must be past somebody's nap time...LOL....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
Who can pass a seed rack without buying seeds?
I guess I can. I stood in front of two different seed racks this past weekend. Read them from one end to the other, sighed and walked away empty handed. DH was impressed.
All the seeds are just so common. I keep looking for new, different, unusual, exotic.

The only seed rack impulse buy I recall making was rainbow chard a year or two ago. I like chard but the photo on that package would jump out at me everytime I passed it. Good marketing I guess. Kristi

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Rainbow Chard is very good. Customers at our market love it. We pick it small & bag it instead of the big stalks in a bunch. Lots of people use it in salad.

I agree, it is good. Do you remember that small package I mentioned. That photo was pure marketing genius!

Warrenton, VA

wow, I am in awe of all who have declared such discipline! Truly! I get all caught up in possibilities...and the remembrances of certain seeds in my youth...and look at all those new types! By the way, anyone have mashed, baked cauliflower? DELICIOUS.

Gracye ~ I have to admit, my willpower fades when I shop the seed catalogues or go online seed shopping, I can assure you. LOL I guess that is from childhood days that I love the catalogues.

Warrenton, VA

My BEST Christmas gift? A new Burpee Seed Catalog and a quiet, hot bath...ah! Now, that is living! LOL!

That I understand! Far better than being jostled about in front of the seed racks and waiting in the long checkout lines too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Walked past today and picked up three, was really looking for borage,picked up german chamomile, amd red robin mums, didn't get the borage though,Sold out.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Graceye -

Quoting:
anyone have mashed, baked cauliflower?

Don't leave us in suspense - how do you make it?

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I can pass by without buying but I can't pass by without looking. I have less and less set aside for seeds this year.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, it was all good until yesterday, was at Lowe's and found some of the "GrowUm's" green houses for kids. We bought one for our grand daughter about Feb. while shopping. She loved it and this weekend we'll transplant our, excuse me, her plants into big pots. Yesterday, there was a rack that had 2 boxes of these GH's that were on clearance for a $1 each, GREAT!!!

Went back today and the rack was gone. Someone said, "Let's check the dumpster, they probably got thrown away." Okay, dumpster dive, find 1 empty "GrowUm's", good news, got about 10 empty 2.5 gal. pots they were throwing away.. Oh well.. Going to check out the girl says, "Let me check one more place," and comes back about a minute later, "Found them!!" Super... Haggle a little bit, hey, they were going to the garbage.. Instead of a $1, paid .50 each and bought 10 of them, and spent less than what we paid for the 1 in Feb.

Persistence, baby, persistence.... She's gonna love 'em when we use them this fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.