CLOSED: DJ'S " APRIL " PERENNIAL SWAP SIGN UP

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

How beautiful, Jaxe! Is that a current picture? How old is yours?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Ok dh forgot to tell me the box from Kathy came...I just found them...just wanted to say holey moley. It was packed to the top and past.... really really nice. Their getting a well deserved drink..I will post pictures and names tomorrow afternoon way too many to do tonight. I have to get up at 3am. But wanted to tell you all what an amazing box and how sharing Kathy is. The box is just unbelievable. Just wait and see. Amazing.

Cannot wait for mine to get that big~!!!!!!

Kathy really packs a box with a punch. I can't wait to see what she sent you, happ.

OK, I just googled how to propagate Lady Banks Rose....sadly, those of you interested in starts will have to wait til the Fall.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous, Jax. I had a huge one (or two) in CA but haven't gotten one planted back here. Must get on that. :)

WWKathy has been very busy!! :-D)))

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

jsx i want your gardens :) love the roses mush to do today ya all have a safe weekend
susie

Question are there any hostas that can be grow in open sun ?? i want some very dark green ones like
samples i have been looking at are .

first frost, captain kirk, blue angle ,split milk, ice age , i have many varigated ones & They do well out i the open so far anyway 2yrs. i don;t have much shade at this time i have planted a couple of trees but they are to young to make shade yet .

my day in the house with daddy so painting rocks while he sleeps :) &will be here also .
susie

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Some can tolerate full sun, Susie, but they might not look as good. But your climate is much cooler so I don't know how that all factors in.

Here are some that take sun:
August Moon
Fragrant Bouquet
Francee
Gold Standard
Honeybells
Minute Man
So Sweet
Sum and Substance
Sun Power
September Sun
Patriot
Royal Standard

OK SO NOW I HAVE TO GO SEARCH FOR THE DARKER LEAVES oops sorry for caps .

ok who was it i saw wanted violets or house plants i have a mind block this morning my friend diane has about 200+
let me know please

Elk Horn, KY

I wanted voilets:)) mite not have been me u were thinking of tho..:) i have So Sweet hosta, email if u want to setup a trade:)) also have first frost & blue angel.

just a few pic's to share with you all .
#1 is SDB IRIS 'CORNHUSKERS AUTUMN
#2 IS MY HORSERADDISH IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE SOME
#3 IS A SPICY CHINESE TYPE PERENNIAL LEAF LETTUCE LOVE IT
# 4 IS I BELIEVE A YELLOW LAMIUM & IT IS TAKEN OVER ONE OF MY BEDS
# 5 IS MY DAPPLE WILLOW

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

MYSTERY SOLVUED

Garlic mustard, Alliaria petiolata.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2012 6:22 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9

Susie, when I get my herb bed re-established,, could I get some of your horseradish please.Not now but later this year maybe? I have a few of those hostas on the list above I can share with you later too.

ok sound great . off to the out doors to play i the dirt . back later

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok...here I am...Out in the garden trying to get some things planted that I recieved. All my tade plants are healed in til I figure out where I want them and see what might not have made it thru the winter. It started to sprinkle a few min. ago and now thunder. News said it would turn to that white stuff overnight (2-6"), whew, glad I got my trades done for the month. Only have one nonperishable trade yet this month, next week, wanna put some plant goodies in, lol.
Thankyou all for being so kind...with the trades and with kind words all (very humbling). If I get obnoxius just let me know, lol.
I'm so glad the trades sent this month have made it to their new homes and hope they show their best for ya..... Carole, I hope you like that daisy and get ready....it gets 48" (flowers are about 4" across), it is one of my favorites cuz it blooms all summer. It's just one of those plants that makes ya smile. I want to try and get them all dug up, divided and back in the ground in the next week or so. Ya, I know, plans.....but they are all big enough now that the centers will begin dying out if I don't, just waiting for them to green up a bit. I will put some in a holding bed for future trades, along with so many others I would like to get to.
Still working on the kitchen, I should spend all my time in there but....I love gardening. Who needs to eat anyhow!!!
Later gators...supppers calling. Kathy.
Oh my, I almost forgot, so sorry. Thankyou Stephanie, just loved the box of goodies you sent!!!! Have to get a pix posted, I forgot and planted them a few hours ago and mother nature is taking care of them with a drink. 1) 5 joe pye weed 2) 1 sedum (autumn I'm thinking tho not sure which) 3) 4 hosta 4) 1bleeding heart . This was a side trade and I must admit I totally forgot. How sweet it is to recieve a unexpected package that has so many goodies. Lol.

I Know Pour steph guess we all were thinking trade end of april for figured you under snow yet But you fooled us all & I Also will get a box out to you this next week . they say rain for us tonight but heard nothing about a mix & Kathy our temps are about the same .

most of you know but just to be on the safe side some plants should be pampered for a week or so some even a month before putting them right back into the ground that is strange to them. that way they may even bloom for you this spring summer or fall :)

well my dog is bathed , got daddy to bed My coffee is about done so guess that it is time for my shower then off to watch a movie nothing on tv here so i barrowed 3 of the 400 movies jim & jan have they could open a video store .
gn all

woke up to thunder & rain oh much needed rain everything is so happy look what I Found this morning .

#1 is blue sparks about to open
#2 is scat
# 3 is sunlit trails

still quit wet out there but i had to get a picture everyday seems to be a new bloom somewhere in the garden
don't ya love it .
well i was up & Down with daddy all last night 3 times & jim was up twice with him so now he is sleeping in his chair the heck with dinner I'm going to go lay down & Get some rest .

I wish everyone a bright sunny day be safe all you in the storm zones.

susie

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice.

First rose branch cutting of the year. The bushes are loaded.

Happy Sunday, all. ^_^

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

OH SO SO PRETTY

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

deejay...those iris are pretty!! Dwarfs?
Carole that rose is beautiful, looks like a shrub type. Are they fragrant? Smell for me. If you could find a few branches, maybe where some pruning is needed, you could ship in the box, or after those flowers are done leave the branches in water to get some rooting. Lol, then ya wouldn't have to throw them away. Ok, I'm sorry and I'll hush now. Lol.
Got 3" of that white stuff over night, and some rain this afternoon ( so they say, gosh it better warm up quick or it will be more snow).
Sorry Steph. no pix today, lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

So sorry Kathy I am working today in the office, I meant to bring the tags with me, yes all those great plants with tags! and at least post the names, this weekend has been something....Went shopping Friday evening hit the door really late and found the wonderful box of plants from Kathy, stuck them in som water for a good drink, then off to bed, had to be up at 3am to go to the swap meet.....ugh! We were there all day, came home took baths, and back out the door, think we got home a 9 or 10, I was shot, got up this morning and thought ok I can take a breath and about that time I got called into work!

Just hate I have not had time to post a pic or a list of the names, but guys there are a ton of wonderful plants in that box, it was amazing, then the tags to boot....omg! Please don't think I am not grateful because I am blown out of the water by your generousity!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

She packs a mean box, that's for sure. And the tags to boot. Puts me to shame. :-/

^_^

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

lol, you girls are silly. Had to include tags or ya might not know what they are. Sometimes I just write the info on a piece of paper and stick in the box. Gosh ya gotta know what they are if these would be new to you. I forgot, did I put heighth info, sure hope I did.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I requested a pick-up tomorrow for Jax's box and have emailed her the DC.
Have a good week, everyone,
Alana

SOUNDS GREAT TY

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh my gosh, another gardening marathon today. Wow, with all the new plants Ive grown from all the great DG seed I've acquired, And all the great trades and purchases lately, there was SO much to do. Plus I've stepped out to unknown territory with brugmansia and plumeria, how much fun can I stand?

Here's a tip for those of you who aren't able to make tags / labels. I never mind making my own anyway. In the past, I've received boxes of plants where the sender used a numbering system, which I thought was a very clever idea. They wrote 1, 2, 3 etc. on the packaging the plants came in, and included an accompanying card or note listing 1, 2, 3 etc. with names of the plants they shared. Sorta like 'paint by number' kits if anybody's old enough to remember those. Are they still made? lol

You've been working way to hard and long as it is, happ. Having to work on your day off, especially on Sunday, is the pits. I wasn't ever on call but did work many Snow days from home. Besides Sundays, the only days of the year I thought were a shame having to work were Good Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve. Always thought those should be Holidays and used them as 'floaters' when my turn in the office rotated.

Your box of plants is ready to go to tommorrow, Judy, and includes a couple of early B-day gifts :) I've D-mailed you and Susie the D/C number.

Is there anyone else I haven't exchanged with this month who would like to? Our weather is just beautiful with highs in the 70's or low 80's for at least the next week. I'm in a digging mood.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Well, my thread froze up before I could save a post I was typing, so here I go again! UGH!

I would love to have some Dahlia starts. About 10 of the un-named would be fine for me.

I would also love to have some of the horseradish. It looks so neat!

Very interesting plants you all are receiving. Please tell me, what is a chocolate vine? I love the different mints! Just have spearmint and chocolate mint right now, but would love to get some of the orange, etc.

MINNI ..... I must apologize that I have not posted about the wonderful box of hosta and bh that you sent me! I am MUCH appreciative! They arrived in great shape and are doing well. When the box came I was at a loss as to who sent it, as I didn't know your real name. lol I've been on a hunt to figure out who!

I don't have a real person plant buddy here either. I know several people on DG(like pughbear) that are in Tulsa, but that is about it.

You all have such GREAT stuff to trade. I don't know if I am going to have anything that anyone would want. :-( We'll just have to wait until I'm ready to see. ^_^

crit i will put you down for the horse radish as for the dahlias i will send info on those soon .
have to go pick up a box at post office not sure from who yet :) so ya all have a great day .

susie

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

No worries on the sides I sent - I should have identified myself - but I was in such a hurry to catch the mailman I was lucky to get the boxes taped closed :)

Spent a beautiful weekend in the yard. I got so much done and I was by myself. DH had drill this weekend. Cleaned the gutters, seeded the lawn, placed pavers for a walkway through the east garden, had a bonfire Saturday night, mowed the lawn, got taxes done, fuel line fixed in my wagon, bagged 30 bags of leaves left over from fall and what finally decided to fall this spring. I think I am finally done with the leaves (fingers crossed), got the compost pit finished. I have been working on taking it out of the back yard for 2 years now. It had 8 years of stuff. Got a good deal done two years ago, but as of yesterday the ground is now flat!! BEAUTIFUL dirt coming out of there. Sifted it and used it in some low spots in the yard and took the "chunks" of wood and leftovers and am using it as back fill on a new project to save my front yard. Putting in a tiered retaining wall. That will take some time as well.
Got all my trade plants in the ground and marked. Got two more trades boxed up - on made the mail on Saturday, one missed it by 10 minutes. Found things I had forgot I purchased and got those in the ground too. Want to plant my "tropical bulbs" but right now its snowing...so I will wait until after our frost date to do those.
Whew..Im tired and sore. But am happy I got so much done all by myself. Didnt get a thing done in the house though. :/

Steph

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Okay now Steph. You are my inspiration. I have not really done much other than wander the yards (front and back) noting what is coming up and then rushing back to get it entered into the database. If I am not sure which daffy or tulip it is I place a tongue depressor stick next to it with the date pending it's blooming to let me know which it is. Talk about OCD. Still shoveling snow to get to some beds. Things I have earmarked to send out in boxes are still under snow by about a foot out back and three feet out front. Slowly digging my way to the front bed.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Thank you - but hardly :) If we still had snow I wouldnt even be as far as you! (It was snowing this morning though - and it was 75 yesterday...)
Its amazing what I can get done on my own...with a good nights sleep.
It is my stress relief - and I die all winter...so when I can get out there, I take FULL advantage.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I know what you mean. I would never set foot in the house in the summer if I had a choice. I cannot imagine 75F one day and snow the next. Absolutely weird. And coming from Fairbanks with 80 degrees temp swings that is saying something.

Oh Chris, you sent tags with entire descriptions on them.
1-Iris - germanica unknown
1-Valariana V. fragrant officinalis white 48" x 36" late spring early summer
4-Pestemon strictus rocky mountain blue 30-36"x30" late spring
6-flax linumprenne reseeds if allowed light blue spring - early summer mornings
8-verbascum phonicium mullen 24x6" spring, cut back for second bloom H or dk: pink, purple, or white reseeds at feet
6-centaurea montana "amethyst in white" 18-24 x 24-30" all season if deadheaded
2 + 1 small Veronica blue 18x14" spring only reseeds lightly
10-viola JJ's all season, can reseed
3-hesperis matronalis v. fragrant purple spring 48" can reseed
1-achilea milleforium yarrow all season, dead head white or pink (does not reseed)
2-artemesia parrot feather
3-hanoke grass aureous gold/yellow stripe
3-dianthus deltoides zing red spring 6x24"

I hope I didn't leave out anything, they are doing great. Kind of glad I have not been able to work in the garden, we have horrible horrible winds all weekend, so all of you down wind from me, batten down the hatches....heavens, no tornados but the winds have been horrible. So all my new guys are in a big pot waiting to get to their new home, when I get some time and the weather is kinder, which ever happens first. LOL

Have a great day everyone.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Gald to hear you didnt get hit with the tornados. We were under a watch until 11pm last night. Temp dropped 20° in literally 3 minutes. Big, dark, low clouds...I was ready - the kids werent but I kept them distracted. POURED and probably washed all my grass seed away :/ 28° is our forcasted over night tonight. Burr...I want March back!!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok Joyce....will post pix of those I have.

pix: centaurea m. Amethyst in Snow
pix: verbascum phoenicium
pix: flax
pix: veronica unknown, spring bloomer
pix: hesperis matronalis

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

More pix. don't have pix of iris (cuz I'm not sure which I dug, might be one of the black which are really dark purple, one has a red cast and my other has a blue cast), hakone grass, artemesia (parrot feather), and Dianthus deltoides Zing (red). Might be some pix in plant descriptions here at dave's.

pix: valariana officinalis
pix: jjs
pix: penstemon strictus Rocky Mountain Blue
pix: achilea m. (yarrow)
pix: or some of this jj

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 5:25 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Name of that veronica(pix #4 above). Veronica austriaca. I just found the name here at dave's after looking at a ref. book on the description. Been looking for the name of that one for years now. I don't know why I didn't think to look it up here before. Ok, mystery solved.....
Looked up artemesia..no pix or entry ( it should be partridge feather, sorry, my boof).
The pixes on dave's for Dianthus d. Zing were wrong, could check maybe Fine Gardening.com

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 5:38 PM

IF I HAVE MISSED MARKING YOU AS REC'D PLEASE LET ME KNOW

2-- DEEJAY9-----CZIMMERMAN00-REC'D ---*****FOTV/ REC'D****
3--FOTV /SUSAN/------ SCBUTTERCUP / JUDY ---DEEJAY9/REC'D & -WARRIORWISDOM/REC'D
2--CZIMMERMAN00 /CHRIS ----DEEJAY9------POISONDARTFROG
1--WARRIORSWISDOMKATHY /KATHY----HAPPGARDEN----FOTV/REC'D--
1--SCBUTTERCUP / JUDY----FOTV ------
2---POISONDARTFROG / ------JSXTIGER----CZIMMERMAN
1--HAPPGARDEN----REC'D ---WARRIORWISDOMKATHY
1--CHEERMOM /SUE G-----MINNESIPPI
1--MINNESIPPI /-----CHEERMOM
1--DIAMOND9192002 / ANITA-------TATERS/LK
1--JSXTIGER---POISONDARTFROG
1--TATERS55 /LK------ANITA

GET READY YOU ALL FOR THIS IS ALSO ANOTHER VERY LONG POST .

A HUGE HUGE THANK YOU FOR CZIMMERMAN00/CHRIS I HAVE NOT HAD LUNCH OR SUPER
AS OF YET FOR I PICKED UP MY BOX FROM CHRIS THIS MORNING 9 AM AT THE POST OFFICE
& I HAVE BEEN PLANTING ALL DAY ALONG WITH MAKING ROOM FOR THEM .
ITS JUST TO COLD TO PUT THEM OUT IN THE GARDEN RIGHT NOW BUT I CAN PUT THEM OUT DAYTIME FOR A FEW HOURS .

NOW TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL AS I POTTED THESE BEAUTIFUL PLANTS :)
AZALEA -CHRISTINA MARIE :) NAMED AFTER A FRIEND WENT TO SCHOOL WITH TO COOL. LUV LUV LUV IN BLOOM
IRIS -EVSATA
CONEFLOWERS---BRAVADO & POW WOW WILD BERRY
ARGYRANTHEMUM ---LIPSTICK
CORAL BELLS---RUBY BELLS
2 COREOPSIS ----PRESTO
VERBASCOM ---MILKSHAKE
DIANTHUS ---IS IT RASPBERRY SWIRL ??? LUV LUV LUV IN BLOOM
2 COLUMBINES ---- ORGAMII MIX LUV LUV LUV IN BLOOM
GERANIUM ----VISION VIOLET
PURPLE PANSY ----- LUV LUV LUV IN BLOOM
CAMPANULA --- BELLEFLEUR BLUE
CORKSCREW WILLOW LUV LUV LUV
DAYLILY----DAGGY
EE--BLACK MAGIC & 2 OTHERS :)))
SALVIA ---- " NEW DIMENSION ROSE" SO COOL
BLUE EYE GRASS ???? I THINK IT IS
MARGARITE DAISY ---- KELWAYI
CAMPANULA ----??
MUM PINK ---
MUM--SUNNY CAMILLE
MUM-- BETH PINK
MUM-- VANNA WHITE
MUM -- ??

NOW TO SHOW YOU HOW BEAUTIFUL & THEN OFF TO GET SOMETHING TO EAT & PUT DADDY TO BED THEN I WILL BE BACK .
MORE TO COME

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.