The biggest challenge in my garden is...

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)
There are a total of 151 votes:

Too much sun.
(12 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Too much shade.
(19 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Too many weeds.
(38 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Too much water.
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Not enough water.
(6 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Not enough time.
(30 votes, 19%)
Red dot

Poor soil.
(21 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Other...tell us!
(24 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Weeds are a problem for me. This year, I am pulling the weeds once, then putting down Preen in most beds. Some, I am leaving as I want re-seeding. I almost think it's easier to pull weeds, preen, and start annuals in containers, and then plant out--or buy a few six packs. Although, six packs have become four packs and keep increasing in price.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Between lining my beds with weed blocker fabric and using at least 2" of bark mulch, weeding my beds isn't an issue, it's the lawn that has the problem.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Burmuda grass It took us a few years, but we did get rid of it by digging out every single tiny piece of root!

As to my vote: Poor Soil! We have hard red Carolina clay.

After ridding ourselves of the Burmuda grass we put in raised beds. Now we enjoy a grass-free existance and lovely fresh, organically grown vegetables.

As to weeds - we smother the walkways with fall leaves to a depth of 6" or more. No more weeds!

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I love your beds, Honeybee. In part of my garden, I've mulched the paths with weed barrier cloth and pine straw and kept the raised beds for cutting garden and perennials. I'm thinking I may do the same with the veggie part one of these days and hopefully minimize the weeding there too. DH thinks he needs to till every year and I keep telling him 'no'.

Carpinteria, CA

N.E. exposure in most of my garden means no sun or little reflected light in winter. I plant Clivias, Geranium 'Biokovo', almost any Bromeliad, Tasmanian Tree Fern, Leucojum aestivum, black mondo grass, maidenhair fern. These plants compete with one or another predominating as the light levels change with the seasons. I am in coastal So. California.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from meezersfive :
I hesitate to say these, but ....too much garden. We've got a full acre and beds everywhere, which are over whelming when I am less and less capable of bending, and getting up and down easily. We've laid weed block and planted lots of perrenials but it's still a lot of work. I'm looking out now and see all the spring clean-up and am getting tired even contemplating what needs doing.

It will get done.

Only a half an acre here but I definitely hear what you are saying. No way to get all the weedy invasive grasses out any time soon. And then it just comes back from the neighbors on both sides via runners and seeds blowing in the wind. But a lot of cardboard and weed cloth is going down so that will help. And I think a lot of gravel areas as well. I guess where there is a will, there is a way. But sometimes I wonder.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I picked time, but need to add weeds and mosquito's...as one is buzzing in my ear as I sit here on the couch...
Lots of beds, (killed him :) ) adding more to include veggies as well. I want to do more but just dont have the time.

Hinsdale, IL

I said not enough time. But I bet, If I ever put some money into a irrigation system, I'ld have plenty of time for weeding and pruneing.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a problem with a Lobber Grasshopper, they are destroying my favorite flowers and they do like the hydrengeas. You can't spray them or prevent them, so every morning I spend time with my scisors and cut them down as they are sunning them self on the top of the bushess. It is a terrible way to start the day, but it helps to prevent them from eating all my garden. If anybody knows some solution, I will be thankful. Etelka

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Weeds, gnats, fire ants, heat, lack of time, age creeping up on me, no help, etc. What's the use of gardening this year? Luciee {;^(

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Quote from kiseta :
I have a problem with a Lobber Grasshopper, they are destroying my favorite flowers and they do like the hydrengeas. You can't spray them or prevent them, so every morning I spend time with my scisors and cut them down as they are sunning them self on the top of the bushess. It is a terrible way to start the day, but it helps to prevent them from eating all my garden. If anybody knows some solution, I will be thankful. Etelka

Etelka, Early in the season when they are just coming out they are small, black, with a red stripe….Smack 'um with flip flops! My neighbors laugh at us stomping around on these things, but it does cut the population before they can get to that big yucky size! :-)))

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

kiseta - There is something called NOLO BAIT that supposed to kill grasshoppers. Do a Google search

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Too windy, not enough water, poor soil, not enough space, not enough time, too hot, too cold, too many weevils. I daydream about having enough money to buy a nice place in a more temperate climate and quit my job during the summer so I could spend all of my time in the garden.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Katlian, I guess I am living your dream, I have a job 9 months of the year and June, July and August I have a unpaid leave from cooking. I cook for a churches Wedn. night program and in the Summer we rest. Plus I only work 3 days a week. My garden keeps me busy, but the trouble is that since I don't have a sprinkle system, I can not leave home for more then 3 days, everything would be dead from heat. But sometime to go away just for the weekend is just right for me, glad to be back to sit in my little garden and drink coffee on the porch where I can hear the birds. Life is good.

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

HonneybeeNC , thank you for your advice, I have found the NOLO Bait on the internet, it is very highly priced, I will check my local garden center if they have it, least I would save on shipping. It would be nice to have a garden without those ugly grasshoppers. I also have slug problem, but I have been mixing some ammonia , water and Murphies soap in a spray bottle and in the morning I get the slugs. Thanks again. Etelka

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Kiseta, what a nice homey looking place you have - love the curb garden in front. Much friendlier than the usual mown grass and small trees.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you, I have a electric lawnmower and got tired of cutting the grass in front dancing around my electric cord. So I dug the whole grass up and planted flowers, the city didn't complain. This year I have some new flowers, yarrow , salvia and some annuals will be in between. I have seen some people slow down while driving, and it makes me feel like the hard work was worth it.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful work! I would slow down to admire this as well!!!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Everybody is planting a formal, or a cottage garden, I just plant what I like, mostly flowers that I remember from my home town in Europe. Next on my list to sow some Night sented stock, it is sure smelling good in the evening. First picture of the city of Novi Sad, Serbia (but I am a Hungarian) the second is the stock that I just ordered the seeds. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

Not enough room!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Kiseta, I planted some stock in baskets on an old tricycle and the fragrance is wonderful.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Honeybee, thanks for the info on the NOLO bait for 'hoppers. I've been searching for something organic and will definitely check into this.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Not big enough. I went from a large balcony with lots of plants to a small retirement community with room for four large pots. Getting used to making the most of the pots I have. One other thing, all the perennials I planted last year got killed by very dry gale force winds. And Bluestone Perennials decided to change their pot size so I can't by them inexpensively any more, and on my budget, it looks like marigolds and morning glories. :-(

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

WEEDS....since Hurricane Gustav blew through here we have seen weeds that were never a problem before...

Kiseta, aside from smooshing lubbers as they hatch, we have found that wasp spray seems to work very quickly at killing them. One thing I did discover is that the population is determined by how wet winter and spring are. The more rain, the fewer Lubbers...seems they lay their eggs in the ground and lots of rain destroys the eggs. Starting now, March, keep an eye on your flower beds...young Lubbers start hatching in March/April..last year we put a bounty on them...promised my Grandson a dime for each dead one.....he earned a little over $30....

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Bad Back - Considering Earthboxes!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a way to save your back.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1175007/

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Definitely time shortage since I work full-time away from home & run a household. Gardening is my escape!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

It is totally an escape, isnt it? It's my sanctuary and there is never enough time..

Morgantown, WV

My energy level is bad when it gets warm. Trying to get work done outside gets hard for me when it gets in 80's. Only march and already feeling the heat! I have so much planting to do. I have plants ordered and they won't even send them for another month. I am moving some roses to a new bed and replanting miniature roses in old bed. I also am feeding my perennial plants that I have all over the place. I have an acre of land. In the last few years I have been planting and planting. My heart condition makes all this very challenging. But it keeps me active. My husband gets dragged into a lot of work for me. My honey to do lost is huge in spring. But he is so good to me. He is wonderful I. Coming up with new ideas around here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.