Yarden maintenance schedule for March

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Our lawn looks horrible this year!! Last summer must have been all crabgrass. Now its all winter weeds. But with a big backyard, and other stuff going on, we are reluctant to devote all the time and $$ it needs. We're taking the "if its green and less than 6 inches tall its a lawn' approach.

Digging wild violets, in flower beds, trying to prevent more wild violets!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, me, too, Sally. Our lawn never looks good.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

A sincere apology to Ruby for my contribution to getting off topic on her thread. Please forgive me. It sometimes can happen without intent. And, thanks to you Gita for the timely reminder. But, you know how easy it can be - we all have enjoyed reading your very long post describing your day of baking with no time for garden maintenance, and of course all the great info shared about Dancing with the Stars past and present

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 11:07 PM

On the schedule this weekend is pulling the plastic netting off the length of the stream, waterfalls, and small reservoir pond. Then comes the fun of scooping up the algae goop and lifting the leaves that made it past the netting. Then comes a few chemicals to discourage the algae goop.

Next will come the shaping of sweet betsy and cutting back the butterfly bush. I've a small amount of dieback on the fringe tree to take care of. (I can't wait for its sweet scent!)

I've some fertilizer spikes left from last season to hammer in - I hope not too soft to take the whack. Last chore (at least for this weekend ) is to reinforce the support on the wayward black dragon (its bright green tip are so pretty) and to suck up my fear and crawl under the cryptomeria to clean out the dead needles - snakes sometimes under there waiting for the birds that frequent that tree.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 11:50 PM

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita, I've learned the same thing about the lawn ("Unless you use "Starter Fertilizer" when you seed your lawn--you are not supposed to
use regular lawn Fertilizers at the same time--or even close to the same time.

Once the grass seed is fully up and you have mowed it 3 times--then you can use Lawn Fertilizer to feed your lawn.") From what I learned, the "regular" fertilizers can be too strong, .. and maybe too much nitrogen? I may be wrong about that, but I do know that over-nitrogen'ing a lawn is not good for it either.

Me personally, I'm trying to steer clear of chemical fertilizers and am just using compost as a top dressing for feeding and amending. That stuff can be put down any old time. (I am NOT good about remembering schedules, so I'm taking the idiot's way out, LOL!!) =)

As far as yarden (I LOVE that word!) maintenance for me, I did all my cleanup the end of February, so now I'm just waiting for my Winter Sown babies to be ready to put into the ground.... and praying that my Winter Sown butterfly bushes will germinate already!! I'm scheduled to be off work on Thursday, so I think I'll get out and weed the driveway-side bed that day... just to be sure. ;)

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh my gosh, I forgot about having to clean out the pond this spring. With all the leaves that fell into there over the past couple of years, that I could not get out, not much space left for the fish. Hubby says he will help this time...we will see....lol

All that black sludge from the disintegrating leaves is what is so nasty in the pond. Our 'pond' is really a reservoir for a 'pondless' stream that didn't work out quite that way ---and so there is water in it. No fish. Plenty frogs. But the bottom is smooth river rock laid over landscape fabric that essentially covering drainage pipes. The leaves stick to those smooth rocks and get really nasty. I need to rdrain the water, power blast the rocks and then suck up the muck with a vacuum. That won't happen this year!

Speedie - my butterfly bushes spring up everywhere. I love the scent and the look and the fact that the bush can be so easily rejuvenated -- but I sure wish the babies wouldn't go far and wide. I bet those you've sown will do just fine. Ours land and sprount between pavers.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Speediebean--

Here is a picture of a bag of Millorganite. This is the by-product of the Cities sanitary Water Treatment facilities.

It is a very good lawn and garden fertilizer (not used on veggies or edibles).
It is clean and odorless and the consistency is tiny black grains. The N-P-K formulation is 5-2-0
It is an Eco-friendly product. Slow release. I have now used it for 2 years, and my lawn is gorgeous.

HD here carries it. You will find it wherever the Lawn Fertilizer bags are.
It comes in a 40lb bag and costs only $13.82. A fraction of all the Scott's prices.

Please Google it to learn of the process it takes to come up with this product.

Gita

edited to correct the NPK formula

This message was edited Mar 26, 2012 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

What do I need to do to protect new spring growth from the frost tonight?

I have hostas that are leafing out and tulips that are about to bloom, or are blooming already. The tulips are mid/late varieties, so I don't know if they'll be able to handle a light frost.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS---

Your Hostas will be OK! They are very hardy--and just emerging here.

If your Tulips are not blooming yet--they should be OK as well.
IF they are in full bloom by now--the blooms may have some damage to them.

These plants--you just have to let Mother Nature do what she does best. Let it be!

If you have potted up, or put out any annuals or herbs already, any potted up cuttings or divisions for the Plant Swap--
you may want to cover them up, or put them in a protected area just for tonight.
With this warm weather, people get impatient and buy and plant early annuals. NOT a good practice.

If you have planted Pansies, they will be OK--absolutely.
DO NOT worry about any Perennials. They are cold hardy.

Take a deep breath--Relax---All will be (almost...) well!!!.......:o)

Gita

Thanks, Gita!

I don't have any annuals to worry about. I haven't even wintersown them yet, but that's more due to my lack of initiative. :-)

Today I see that my Korean Spice Viburnum is ***just*** about to burst open. I was so looking forward to the wonderful smell! I'm hoping the blooms don't get damaged in the frost.

I just got some plant stands on wheels for the spring swap gift table! I hope this is something that some of you would want as a gift! May needs to get here soon...

Also, does anyone know to transplant wintersown candytuft? I got great germination, so I have a ton of little candytuft starts. How closely can I transplant them in the perennial bed if I want the area covered in white flowers by next spring?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--

Candytuft is one of my favorite plants.....

They do spread out and clump. I would think that 10"-12" apart would be reasonable....
assuming they will grow well.

Bedtime for me....Gita

Crozet, VA

Lots of work going on I see, or at least thoughts of work. hahaha Due to rain here both weekend days, I didn't get outside to do anything. Really a downer too when there are only certain days I have to work in yarden, and then something like rain comes along and prevents me from doing it. I know we need the rain, but why can't it come mid week?

I can identify with everything that folks have written. Same thoughts here and same hubby problems too. As far as mentioning my hubby, I wouldn't have much to say without including him due to the past four or five years of him becoming my labor for a lot of things that I am unable to do myself. It looks as though this year most of the yarden maintenance is falling on me to do. I am a good weed digger and weed piler and bagger. I just have trouble getting the bags to the compost pile, so have several bags sitting around different places that I have weeded.

SSgardener, I too was a bit concerned about possible frost last night. I let it cross my mind and hoped for the best. It is really, really early for many of things blooming here. I remember my dad having a Peach Orchard when I was growing up and the talk in the spring always involving the worry of frost. I also remember an old photo of my mom in her 1950's hot pants shorties standing beside several of the blooming trees with about an inch of snow on the ground. I always loved that picture. Oh yeah, I believe most of us here have heard of Geritol. I believe I even tried it in my early thirties when I began feeling as though I was near death. Didn't help what ailed me though, so I wouldn't be a good spokesperson for it.

Missingrosie - I hear you and can really identify with your sentiments on the broken off pieces of plants. I debate over what to do with those pieces all of the time. Often times, I just take the lazy man's way of doing things and stick the broken piece beside what it came off of and hope for the best. I always have plans of having more energy and inclination later after it has taken root to decide what to do with it. I hate seeing viable things shrivel up and die.

Rosie, you also mentioned a Fringe Tree. How old is yours and how large? We were gifted one by my father in law probably about three years ago. Ours at this point seems to be about four foot high and probably the same circumference. It is planted along with other things in a bed and I am wondering how large it may grow in the future.

Anyway.....thanks everyone for your input. I love hearing how things are going for everyone and the questions brought up are a good learning opportunity also.

For those reading who brought things to the seed swap for me and sent them to David and Pat's, we will be visiting them on Thursday and I am looking forward to seeing all the goodies they have been caring for until I get there and get them. I am looking forward to seeing the gardens of yet another Dave's Gardener. I am sure I will see some lovelies.

Have a good one all.

Ruby

Ruby - I think the fringe is maybe 10 feet tall and 8 feet around. It is a small tree. I would put in in the space you might set aside for a japanese maple or a redbud. It is VERY beautiful (graceful and fragrant.)

The fringe tree isn't a 'look at me!' kinda tree when leafed out -- but it does have a nice form. Then comes winter and the leaves drop off (pretty yellow in fall) but then spring comes and for about 2-3 weeks WOW. When you have one-----you want three (can't have those even numbers) but you will need to make room for iit. I grow blue star amsonia under it with no issues (except those things are spreading too far and wide) and plan to take those out and instead put in the dwarf plumbago. The red bronze leaf of autumn will go well with the yellow fall color of the fringe and the blue of the plumbago flower will go great with the green lleaf of the fringe in the other seasons ---plus it will let sun through to the plants below. You will like the carefree plumbago too since you have to be very economy minded with your motions. Xeriscape flower takes a beating!

Crozet, VA

Have to admit that after writing this I will be doing some research on the Amsonia and the Plumbago due to not recognizing either of the names.

Wow, you have a large Fringe Tree. Ours is beautiful, but I am thinking it is definitely in the wrong location, or either some of the other plants growing near by may have to find new homes as our tree grows. Everything is doing okay for now, all getting sufficient sun.

Will check out the names you mentioned and see what I think might be suitable later on. Thanks for the info Rosie.

Ruby

Forgot to say that the fringe was planted in 2001. It grew fairly quick then slowed. I moved it three times - twice because it needed more room ( since I thought a shrub and it was needing more space ) and once when we landscaped and put a small reservoir pond in its place.

Regarding the plumbago - I was refering to the dwarf.

The flowers intense blue.

My fav upright pretty intense blue bloomer is Dark Knight another gutsy can't kill it shrub. When the leaves brushed... The best fragrance fills the air....but there is none similiar to compare for the description. When I want another, I just jam a piece in the ground right time of year. It does pop up where you don't plant but real easy to yank out. I cut it severely back - can whack to ground- and back it comes. (caryopteris)

Gita, heehee, I had to giggle (I'm sorry, no offense meant) when I saw the pic of Milorganite 'cause I am very familiar with it, we sell ooooodles of it at work all the time. =) I have even used it myself a few times, but it was done rather haphazardly, before I decided to "get serious" about working on the lawn. When I say "haphazardly", I mean, thrown down one year like in the middle of the summer, then maybe again the following year sometime near the end of summer... no real "plan" in mind. But, as of this past Fall, I definitely have a "plan" in mind, a very easy to follow idea of what I'll do with the lawn, and when. I'm trying to not over-commit myself while still not being negligent, and it's a fine line to balance on for sure! So far, my "brilliant plan" (HA!) is to do the corn gluten and compost early Spring, water as necessary late Spring/Summer, then over-seed and more compost early Fall. DH reminded me of the KISS method: Keep It Simple, Stupid! ;P I could easily incorporate Milorganite into my KISS lawn care program, I think; when would you suggest I put it down? And, how many times per year? Thank You!! =)

As for now, my only "yarden" maintenance in store will be mowing of said lawn tomorrow, as I am off work then.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

speedie--

In the last 2 years when I have decided to use Millorganite on my lawn--
I put it down around NOW--as the first spring fertilizer. My lawn seems so lush every spring!
Need to mow it-desperately-but I have worked yesterday and also today.
They are calling for T-storms later today.

I do not have a lot of Crab Grass--so i do not use the pre-emergent fertilizer.
Sprinkled some around in the rougher areas by hand.

Weeds are more around the borders of my lawn and in the beds.
As I walk around--I pull up the ones that are easy to pull up. Need to dig up all the Dandelions--
they are blooming already!

I checked yesterday on the Millorganite price at my HD. It is only $12.37. Can't beat the price.

Gita

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

I am glad you guys have been busy outside, we have a new little one at our house (besides the tomatoes & peppers, and I have been doing my duty to spoil him. I bought some white vinegar to kill all the chick weed since when I tried pulling it up all those little seeds went flying (ps the Shelties don't like vinegar) Other than repotting my tomato seedlings and some coreopsis (boy are they tiny) I have been walking around my yard with the dogs looking for new growth and checking out my yellow Green Giant. I swear it is starting to go green again. My son hauled some old horse manure out to fertilize with and I've remulched again. The japanese maple just put out it's new leaves and they seem to have made it through the night. That should be the end of the "cold snap" we had. Haven't planted anything in the raised beds yet. Did some research on squash bugs and have decided to start plants from seed a little later, seems the general wisdom says to plant out after June 1st and maybe avoid the worst of those buggers.

Pamspace, yellow Green Giants? Cool, I bet those are pretty! We sell the regular ol' green ones at work, but I've never seen yellow ones.

Gita, you don't think I've missed my window for the Milorganite do you? I must say, compared to the dust bowl I've always had before when I was happy to have weeds 'cause at least they were green, what I've got now is wonderful!! It's about 90% actual grass now, and I've got the chickweed and dandelion problem like you described, just around the edges. Bah! Like you though, I hardly notice any crabgrass at all this Spring so far. Yippeee!!! =) I've seen dandelions in bloom in my grass as well, YIKES!! Don't like those things, grrrrrr.

I, too, desperately need to mow, but now that we're getting that rain that was called for, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do it tomorrow. =( I don't know if that's a good thing or not. ;) (I can always think of **something** to do with my day off!) heehee

Its too early to see any Crabgrass, sweetie. It is just now sprouting.
; ^)

Milorganite is a gentler, lower, and slower N than typical lawn fertilizer. I think it's safe about anytime.

My lawn is 90 percent bittercress, chickweed, speedwell....

Well, that explains why I haven't seen any yet, huh? LOL!!!!! Silly me! =D And, I think I'll add Milorganite to my early spring, and early fall "schedule". =)

I hear supper calling, so I'll see ya later, have a great evening and thank you for all the helps! =)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I hope the "World" wakes up and sees the benefits of Millorganite!
I sure am going to "push" it at my HD when I get out there. Shamelessly!
A 36lb. bag of this stuff sells for $12. 37 (I checked). The NPK ratio is: 5-2-0. (corrected from my earlier post).

With me--it is always HONESTY--and I think customers know when someone is "selling" something,
versus sharing the honest opinion of one's experiences and acquired knowledge on a product.

I have a bit of a queezy feeling that maybe the Scotts and VIgoro people may not like it....whoever they are!
Then again--one little ME is NOT going to topple an Industry giant!

As for all the "necessary" fertilizers--I usually stick with all the Espoma "Tones"....They are ALL organic.
Rose Tone--Bulb Tone--Holly Tone--Plant Tone--Lawn Tone (??), etc....

Well--You know--more and more people are shying away from the whole Chemical stuff.
Millorganite is totally Eco-Friendly. SO! To me that means that it is NOT going to hurt the waters of the Bay.
Nor your dog or cat if they eat some of it. I this true? Is that what "Eco Friendly" means????
I have to read the bag info....

Lets face it--everything we put on out lawns ends up as a run-off into the rivers and the tributaries--
which, eventually, run off into the Bay and affect all the grasses and kelp and all that....which affect
the fish and Crab and Mollusc populations in turn--as many of them feed on all the healthy grasses in the waters.
The over-fertilized water grasses grow to too thick a water cover--and cut off all the sunlight from the others.

I just don't want to see a summer when i can no longer enjoy a few crabs.....or local fish.....or Oysters----:o(

OK! I am getting off of my Soap Box! Phew! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Heeheeheee, I just LOVE that photo of the crab with the hammer!! =)

Yes Ma'am, the "Tone" products from Espoma are all organic, however, there is another product line that I prefer (also organic) because it contains the micorrhyzae that is often found in healthy soils, so it becomes "active" (for want of a better word) much faster. Just a few days when the soil is warm, and only a week or so if the soil is cooler. (as opposed to several weeks with the Espoma "Tone" products). That's just a personal preference though, and in no way means that I think there's anything 'wrong' with Espoma products.

I, too, "sell" very strongly products that I firmly believe in and actually USE myself. I will gladly tell customers "I've not used that, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness...", but I do, very actively, go into detail about those with which I am personally familiar. I even take pictures and then take my camera to work to show people "Look, this is what it looked like BEFORE, and then this is what it looks like NOW." LOL!! I did that with my lawn recently, had a guy come in and want to seed his lawn last weekend. I told him all about what I've been doing with my lawn since last Fall, what I did at the end of February, and showed him how my lawn looked before my work, and just 2 days before I saw him. He was floored, and very appreciative of the honesty. Honesty and integrity are sorely lacking in "sales" these days, and people really know when they are getting it, and appreciate it.

OK, back on topic. ;) Today, since the lawn is too wet and squishy from yesterday's rain, I won't be able to mow, so instead I think I'll start the sanding of my new present that DH built for me.... after my house-cleaning chores are done, that is. Brought home this REALLY cool hanging coir basket from work the other day... I plan to hang it from a tree next to where my back yard shady garden area is gonna be, so I need to get cracking on that prep, and the prep starts with my stair-step bench! =)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Just found out the hard way or, the cold wet way, that before using my hoses for this year is a great time to replace hose washers. Yep,

Oh no! **Someone** got an unexpected extra shower! =( Here's a towel and a cup of hot tea to help you feel better.

I have a buckeye in a pot ....got to get that planted. Energy....energy....
does this count as yard maint? -- I have all these empty plastic pots, seed envelopes, porch furniture covers, broken clay pots, rusty tools, and wine bottles that need labels peeled ---and all are covered with POLLEN - So that porch needs emptying, cleaning and sprucing. This weekend maybe?? (Don't wanna do it but would like it done for Easter..)

''I have all these empty plastic pots, seed envelopes, porch furniture covers, broken clay pots, rusty tools, and wine bottles that need labels peeled ---and all are covered with POLLEN -'' Sounds like my deck...

Covered with pollen sounds like my deck.. and my truck, too. =)

Note to self: Installing the new weeper hose requires some semblance of at least half-intelligence, therefore I am exempt. < =/ Good Heavens, who knew you'd have to think ahead when you hook one of those puppies up!? I hang my head in shame, but at least I have learned what NOT to do, for when I hook up the next one.
On the plus side, it's working wonderfully! =)

Even simple things are dangerous in the wrong hands ;0) (or feet)

I stepped on the rake-------it flew up in the air with LIGHTENING speed ------and clunked me in the head!

Step.....Whoooooosh......crack! OW! (did anybody just see me do that??..... let me scurry indoors real quick....)

Yikes!! My goodness, are you alright!?!?! No one saw it, I promise! =)
.... by the way, I think you're my sister. ;)

Speedie - I am one of 14!!

I always have room for one more sister!

Yes, the rake attack shocked me more than anything. It embarassed me too. Like the time I slipped in the mud on the way down to the mailbox....just laid there waiting.....I swear if someone came running, I would have played dead--- stroke a possibility - no? I would have let them cart me off in an ambulance -- no make up and NO BRA. NO WAY WAS I GONNA GET UP WITH AN AUDIENCE. I had a "schmata" on too!

Oh my GOODNESS, you do get into some 'interesting' situations, huh? LOL!!!!!! OK, now I am wondering: what's a "schmata"?? (and, don't say 'nothing, what's a schmata with you?') < =P

ROFL.
I try to step over my garden fence, and trip...I pull weeds from a squat..and fall on my butt. I NEED nice soft soil in the yard LOL

A schmata is a raggedy housedress - the one that you don't want anybody to see!

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

Gee and I thought a schmata is what you say to someone who looks unhappy or falls in the mud. You know "Whats a schmata"?

No, in my world Schmata = "CALL AN AMBULANCE, THIS LADY ISN'T MOVING!"

I'm going to be picking up composted horse manure tomorrow. I never thought I'd be this excited about manure!

It will be my first time gardening with horse manure. Does anyone else here use it in their garden? How much do you use? What's a good amount to use in a raised vegetable garden?

Haaahahaahaahaaa, you guys crack me up!! < =D

Ssgardener, LOL, manure is FUN, huh? =) I've not used horse 'stuff', only cow, sorry I can't help you there. =/

Ok, yarden work in my near future is to get the area ready to put the first of my 2 new stair-step thingies out along that back fence. Tomorrow at work I need to buy some sort of climbing perennial.. haven't decided what yet. =)

I said I wouln't do it (buy on a whim) NOT until the spring clean up is done. But I came across a few deer resistant things today -on sale!

12 pots later.....

Tomorrow I fill the sprayer and put down Ground Clear (that stuff expensive!) I spray it on all the green stuff coming up through the gravel...that should "do" it but then hubby comes back a week later and blasts with with the burner. I guess it makes him feel good. I should post this under Jen's " things that make you go hmmmm" Then I will see about picking up some shattered glass...the bottle tree bit the dust. This time I will cement it into a hole. If I had Holly's Rick it would not have bit the dust - ah, we learn from our mistakes, right? ( the tree NOT the hubby - he tries hard! )

We don't know what to do about those voles or nutria or whatever is tunneling through everything. Tried the home remedies and tried the store bought remedies. Have not tried trapping. condo....condo....
What is harder for you with your yarden maint? Spring or fall?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.