March 2012 in like a lamb!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi all....
Wow it was pouring at my house and thunder and wind when I left for work, and nothing down here, what a difference 40 miles can make.

Gosh your guys those fountains are beautiful! What a great focal point.

Short, did the rose survive the winter, mine are going a crazy, I bought a new climbing pink rose to put on a trellis over the garden room, it can grow to 20 feet long, how beautiful that would be, it is a New Dawn, it states it can rebloom throughout the season, fingers crossed. I haven't been to Indep. lately, thought I was going Friday but may not now, can't decide.

Love the pond it is really coming along, the water lilies are always a little later coming up, the iris grows like fire and will even grow in the ground without a pond. My fish have had more fish, geehz, I don't need more fish. I am cleaning the pond this weekend so I will need to catch all those guys....fun fun. On the bigger ponds to hide the liner they will use some smaller rock (gravel or pea rock something like that) poured around, not much you can do about the sides but add more water, plants, and stuff....

Love the hostas, I have a sum&substance I left in a decorative pot all winter and it is growing great. Yesterday I went to home depot for lunch (costly lunch) and bought 2 more hostas aq drinking gourd (not sure how to spell the whole name and too lazy to look it up) and another that I can't remember the name of even tho I looked twice!

Ok I am hitting send, I think I have keyed this in 10 times and never got it sent.....

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm catching up on tons of threads today. Miss one day and the forums blow up. lol.

Was at the Mavericks hockey game last night. Had a great time and we won also. It was the first game of playoffs. Next home game is Monday and if they win Weds. That will be my next game. I will be too tired from my Texas trip to go on Monday dang it. Going to Texas for the weekend to visit family. They don't know we are coming so it will be cool to see their faces when we show up. lol

My gardens have been sorta cleaned up for spring. Dead stuff cut back but I need to weed now. No time to do it for awhile though. And need to figure out whether I can put my 2 blueberry bushes in the back where my dogwood and stuff are. Gonna check out lighting next week. If it works I will finally have a good in ground home for them.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi happ! Welcome back! Thanks, I hope the fountain turns out to be a nice focal point. Yes, the dark red Rose did very good, I think it even remained green all Winter. I'm not sure about that but every time I looked at it, it was green, now it is really leafy. My friend just loves it too, I'll try to remember to get a photo of it soon.

The Water Irises are doing great. The other water plants you gave me happ didn't do so well. It's kinda my fault that hardy rush died, I didn't realize it should stay in water, when Fall came I potted it up and that killed it I think. I remember when it was in the water it was even multiplying. Maybe I shoulda just left it in the pond this Winter. The others kinda just shriveled up, the changing of locations might not have agreed with them.

Thanks happ, that pond needs some modifications, nothing too drastic but I need to do some things on it I think. If you want to give away some fish, I'd be glad to have them!
If they don't feed themselves then maybe I shouldn't have any! lol Just kidding, I'd get fish-food when I get lizard food.
No hurry, when you get to Indep. is fine, I'll likely be here, I go days not going anywhere. I'm better just staying home, it's better on shopping and such anyway.

Your welcome, Crit, I hope they perform nicely for you. Your's musta leafed out bigger and sooner than mine, my S&S leaves aren't that big yet. To be more certain, the Sum and Substance has a very big leaf. You may have seen Plantfiles - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/364/#b info. on it, 144 square inches for the leaves it says, that's 12 inches by 12 inches, very big. That must be several years down the road because mine aren't that big either and I still have the tag! Here's a good photo of the guy's hand next to one for scale. - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/16807/

I was by a favorite spot for rocks, so I couldn't resist getting about a backseat and a passenger seat full, in kitty-litter buckets of course. My car is small and it weighs it down I can tell.
It sits all low but it doesn't rub on the tires. I think I looked all official like a highway worker when I was there getting rocks, I had on my orange safety vest and everything. Cars were getting over like I was on official business! I stumbled one time but I got up quick in case anybody saw me, luckily for me no cars were coming when I fell on my backside! I hung my Sombrero on the passenger seat's headrest, that musta looked interesting to cars behind me. Kitty-litter buckets hold 40 lbs. of litter so I'm guessing, I had 8 buckets times 40 lbs., extra, in there! I think collecting rocks has become an obsession for me, I just love the way they look in the yard, now I just hope I don't ever have to get rid of them. If my friend here ever gets mad and says, "ok, get all the rocks out of here or find a new place to live", I'm in trouble! I bet I have a dumptruck of rocks and I don't own a dumptruck!

Crit, that little donkey is cool, can an adult ride it? I don't think we can have one here but I'd get one if I could. How long have you had your donkey? I was wondering if they get any bigger.
Haha.. I remember in the movie Cowboys And Aliens, 007 Daniel Craig won't ride a horse, in real life even it says. I remember in the movie that was funny, all these horses were leading the group and a donkey with 007 was always in the back. One funny time, they came to mountainous terrain where the horses were struggling and the burro went right up it! I had to Google that because I couldn't remember the movie where I saw that but I just thought it was hilarious! - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2027717/Cowboys--Aliens-star-Daniel-Craig-doesnt-horse-riding.html

How about those Mavericks?! They are really doing good.

I don't have any family in Tx. anymore, my brother took a better job in Southern Ca. Now, I just need to bug him for a vacation there and to plant some palm trees and stuff in his yard.
Well, on second thot, 2 of his sons, (my nephews), are still there, the oldest one is at Texas University, he's a Longhorn!

Have a nice trip, drive safe, Pepper!
Will

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 10:18 PM

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 10:00 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

50°/67°/41°
A shower or two around the area early, then partly cloudy during the afternoon. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%

Pepper,
The rose sounds like a beautiful change!

Crit,
I love him too. He is just the right size!

Will,
When you are done, the yard is going to look great! With mulch, I hope you have time to actually sit and admire it and the pond.
People who plant the tender stuff now are in for a suprise. I don't think we're going to freeze, I hope we aren't, but I won't rule it out.
Wilted anything is a big disappointment.
LOVE the birdbath! It's a real treasure!

Crit,
Ditto for your birdbath too!

Whew, a lot of reading and I have a whole bunch more threads to catch up on.

My neighbor asked me over after dinner to walk her yard and look at her flowers. She's been busy getting her house ready for the "Tour of Houses" they asked her to be in. I love her yard. It's one whole block, and they bought another block behind them that was just the old school yard. She plants everything I love, so it's a real treat to water for her when she is gone :o)

I ''sat'' at DD's yesterday, literally, in the large round playpen she has. GD scoots all over and GS rolls. They are so much fun to be with.

Yesterday, I sowed all my tomatoes, peppers, cabbages and brussels sprouts in the house. Peas are planted outside and we got 6/10'' of rain last night. Woo Hoo! Next, I'll go thru my flower seeds and see what else to start in the house.

Still weeding too. Took all afternoon to do one small bed because the chickweed wants to hang on.

Anyway, it's wonderful to be outside working!!

Here is an under progress view of the backyard left portion, which is most of it..lol. I plan to get rid of that little red wagon, it has rusted out and is just an embarrassment, it's also coming apart now.
I need to get a skimmer for the pond, I weedate in there and clippings went in the water! My new mulch plan is only to go down to that second from last privacy fence pole, before I wanted to go all the way to the last pole where that weedblock ends but I'll prolly be taking that up now to back it all up a ways.

How about my pot of hardy Mums? I remember I was sweating how hardy can "hardy Mums" be? Well, pretty dang hardy! Even my "Big Twister" Bush by it has some green on it.
In the Mums photo you can see a pile of mud, but this photo musta been before I scooped mud and put down blond bricks. In the photo of the privacy fence up there, the Mums aren't there anymore, it woulda been by the wheel barrow's front tire in that photo. See the Big Twister Bush there? In that photo you can see it wayyyyy back there between that birdfeeder and that swingset looking contraption, actually it's next to the Persimmon, I wanted the Mums to be with another Fall interest plant.

Speaking of donkeys, poor donkeys, they are being abandoned by ranchers in Tx. and La. that used them to guard their cows and other livestock but they don't have that livestock so they let the donkeys out. They said farmers find a bad place in a neighbor farmer's fence and let their donkeys in there. The neighbor tells the cops that he "woke up and found donkeys on his property"..lol! - http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-donkeys-abandoned-lingering-drought-080836493.html

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I will have time to admire the landscaping when I'm finished. But, do you ever really finish?! lol I had a bit of a moment recently when I was out there yesterday, the bees were visiting the little Gil-Over-The-Ground flowers that I plan to cover up with mulch! I felt bad! How can I cover up flowers that give honeybees so much pleasure? I loathe that Ground-Ivy! Well, I think that I came to the conclusion that I really shouldn't cover up so much ground with mulch, I may only cover about half as much ground as I planned. It just means I'll have to be more diligent with the weedwhacker, yardwork and unfortunately, the other RU - RoundUp. There is still going to be alot of mulch go down believe you me!

I did some work over by the privacy fence that I've been putting off. I offered to scrub all that moss off of the fence with a wire brush and the hose and paint it but she says she likes the moss. I put down those blond bricks but eventually when I get enuff rocks I'd like to have rocks for all the borders. I haven't unloaded the 8 buckets of rocks out of my car yet. I didn't really want to let on to my friend that I got more rocks but she walked by my car and she informed me about my cargo. She says she doesn't like the rocks but she hasn't stopped me from using them, like she has stopped me from doing other stuff outside, I think deep down inside, she likes them, but she doesn't want to say! Anyway, I plan to have something between the mossy fence and the border, just not sure what.

That 'Blue Fortune' Hyssop sure is funny. It didn't sprout from it's branches, it seems to be sprouting from the base pretty vigorously. I've got plans to put it by the shed eventually.

Here's the dark red Rose on the $5.99 Harbor Freight trellis. It's got many leaves already! You can see my big old Sombrero shadow!

I saw today that Soapwort has little pale pink flowers, they are pretty too. That's it in the blue fish next to one plant of Creeping Phlox. The Creeping Phlox gets more solid in color than that eventually, it just started flowering the other day.

That big Rose-Of-Sharon cutting has started budding afterall, Crit! After it gets more leaves, I'll unpot it from there and put the roots in that stuff that the Missouri nursery sent me Dogwood and Hazelnut seedlings in, it's good for shipping and I'll soak it beforehand. This isn't prolly an ideal time to do that but I didn't think it lived until now. It's in the pic with the little tiny leaves but a pretty big stick looking thing.

Here is my big pot of DitchLilies that I got from Happ and 2 pots of Irises from bulbs that I got from Imames at the Fall RU 09'. I just love to have pots of stuff on-hand. To onlookers (and neighbors), bunches of pots sitting around can't look good. But, they are all in the master landscaping plan! Fairly soon, I should be able to reduce my pots by about half when I get to see what is just pots of dirt, which is alot. I think a lot of stuff didn't get enuff cold to come back, but I don't know for sure. I water and care for potted plants just like I do planted plants.

Thanks for the compliment on my birdbath billyp, that thing was a hassle but I'm very glad it's here. Concrete statuaries and hardscaping lend a nice addition to a landscaping IMHO. I think they give an appearance of an invested and well planned landscaping, (which this one isn't really). I was on the code enforcement, cops and interested neighbors landscaping plan, but it's starting to come together now, after about 10 years!

Yeah, I hope it doesn't get too cold either, I gotta say I am tempted myself to put my houseplants, tomato starts and other starts out right away. I'll prolly chicken out tho and wait a couple weeks. I'd like to see more forecasts, for example, Thursday they are saying a low of 42°, that can't be good for Tomatoes and stuff. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Oh, here's that Rose-Of-Sharon, Crit, the pic is bigger offline so hope the little buds are visible on DG.
It's the big stick up close.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

45°/69°/54°
Sun and clouds mixed. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph.

Will,
The wagon made a good planter for a year. And yep, everything is greening up and looking good. Especially the mums! That's the best thing about spring, anticipating the changes seeing what lived and all enjoying the new blooms!

What a horrible ending for the donkeys and those who have to round them up! We had a guy just outside of town who adopted five or six donkeys many many years ago. He learned to take a pair of pliers out with him because when they latch onto you, they won't let go.

About the only way to sit outside and stay there a little while, is to take a cup of coffee out with you so you have to sit and drink it.

Chickweed also provides early flowers, but I figure these things are in everyone's yard and they don't do yardwork. It makes me feel better about pulling mine.

For easy mowing, I'd leave the blond bricks and set rocks just behind them.

For the buckets of rocks, after you use them, plant something small, like deep blue lobelia or white alyssum (annuals) or acid yellow alyssum, or forgert me nots (perennials) between them. It will make both look good

All your pictures make me want to get outside and get busy, LOL!

A quiet weekend without the boys. My neighbor sent me home with a bouquet of Viburnum and lilac blossoms. They smell so nice! She cut a huge bouquet of daffodils, tulips and lilacs to decorate their church with.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the S&S info Will. That is mine, although my leaves aren't that big. May be because it is in part shade.

The burro is a mini, so I would hate to put an adult on him. But the other one we had was a regular size and he is like the ones they use in the Grand Canyon. You could set on him with no problem, but the little bugger wouldn't lead so couldn't ride. lol

So sad about the donkey's in TX. I've heard the same thing about people with horses. We actually got ours from a friend who went out of the cattle business. That is what he had them for.

I use a lot of rocks around my gardens. I have several different varieties I've picked up over the years, and here we have tons of sandstone which will match my house. I'll get you a pic of one of the beds.

Thanks on the ROS Will

Here is my regular Lilac!

Here is a few nice plants I have in a holding area, I plan to plant them this year, somewhere!

I hope I have everything in the right order, that's some of mine.

All my stuff started out pretty small, so in a few years maybe they'll have some size.

Will

Oh boy, 3 other posts with 15 pics didn't upload, I hope just reattaching them works.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Nice birdbath billyp, crows have to drink too! By the way, aren't they bad luck? I found a funny bit here - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_crows_considered_to_bring_bad_luck
When I was a kid my Dad climbed a tree and got 4 little crows, named Eeny, Meeny, Miny and Moe. He tried to get them to talk by putting a tape recorder by them, but they never talked.
I wouldn't do that myself, that was too high up for me, plus I wouldn't want to upset the mother like that. I went with him (I didn't climb the tree), I remember the mother was swooping at him when he was up there.

Yeah, that wagon planter did okay last year. The Marigolds in it haven't even shown themselves yet, I'm thinking they may not be back. Here's a better pic of it, it's a mess. I intend to set it out Monday for the city's bulky item pickup. There's another wagon in here just like it but still in the box, I'd like to put it outside and fill it full of flowers or something. I draw the line at putting a toilet bowl out there full of flowers, well, on second thought maybe I'll do it just because! You can't pull the wagon or hardly move it without it falling apart more, I don't remember the wheels ever turning.

Here's one of my Soapworts in the fish and a Creeping Phlox next to it. Have you ever noticed how similar those 2 are to each other? They both have 5 petals in the flowers, just the Creeping Phlox is much deeper of a pink almost purple where the Soapwort is almost white but still noticeably pale pink.

Here is my cluster of Blueberry bushes, it is 3 plants all together. Blueberries are forming and there is lots of them, I'm gonna try to beat the birds if I can! It's next to the red wagon.

Here's one of my 10 or 12 Ozark Witch Hazels coming in! That bowl next to it is just a bowl full of Daffodil bulbs that I threw in it.

Here is my one and only Forsythia!

Here is the Redlily plant that I got from Pepper in Fall 09' and a Purple Coneflower plant by it. Those two are doing some pondside duty. All those little weeds by those plants should be getting very unhappy as I went around and sprayed RoundUp on all the weeds I could find.

Well, I've used up my five pics!

Will

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 9:14 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I'm gonna try the other ten photos later, this isn't working right now. I'm just doing them over and over to no avail.
Maybe their overloaded with photos now.

Here is my old Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana'. That's my other Creeping Phlox by it, it hasn't started blooming yet.

Here is my Peach tree (Semi Dwarf 'Red Haven') bringing up the corner, it had alot of flowers so hope it has alot of peaches too!

Here is my other Purple Coneflower plant coming up.

Here's my Butterfly Bush 'Nanho Blue'.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

This is just a view of my waterpond and some stuff around it.

Here is a Mugo Pine that I got dirt cheap from Lowes as a Fall special last year.

Here is one of my 2 'Mini Penny' Hydrangea's, actually the other one looks better, I shoulda planted this one deeper, but I wanted it to be up a little for the mulch that I planned there, but now I'm not putting down that much mulch so I'm going to be putting some more soil around it.

Here is one of my 2 Golden Spireas.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I would say the rose bush is happy!
I went with a friend all day yesterday to nurseries all over, we started at heartland, omg what a beautiful place we go several times a year and had coupons! I got princess wu....YES! Then some plants for the city planters that I do, and a few for me.

Short, the rush would of been fine in the water all winter, I will get you some more, and I will gladly give you a couple of fish, can't just have one he/she would be lonely!

Mulch is on sale at Home Depot.

Gotta go play will be back later.

Just got back home about an hour ago. Long drive but so very worth it!! We didn't let anyone down there know we were coming except for my cuz's sister. She managed to keep it a secret so when we showed up lots of OMGs were going on. LOL

This Soapwort is really all abuzz with flowers! Look at it in flower today! And that's just one plant that Pepper sent me last year, it's not so little now!

Oh happ, that dark red Rose is doing very well, very well indeed! Thanks, another Rush and a couple fish would be great! That Rush is cool, I was bummed that it died.

Thanks billyp, I'll look up those flowers, I think they'd look good among the rocks too. Thanks for the suggestions Sally, I am open to suggestions, my ideas aren't always the best I've learned, for ex. like black dyed mulch..lol!

I bought six Banana 'Basjoo' plants at Heartland last Summer and not a one has sprouted yet, and I didn't buy the warranty! Heartland had me going on their return policy, I'd never seen one like theirs. They had 2 prices of plants, one with a warranty and one without. They discount pretty heavily from what I saw as the time goes into Fall, it was around July 50% off and after that 75% off.
When I was at Heartland last Summer, they were just expanding into the back part, it looked like it would roughly double they're inventory. I like that place too, it's laid out good too.
I remember it was VERY hot when I was there. I think I was the only shopper there because everybody was staying home in the ac.

That's a pretty good April Fools Day joke there Pepper!

Anybody gonna start a new month, I started the last one.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 8:32 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250068/

This thread is closed!!!!!!!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I have been wanting to get some Witch Hazel going, but never have. I keep trying to start coneflower seeds in my ws'ing jugs, but don't get them to germinate. I know they have been cold, so Hey! what's the deal???? ^_^

Um, Pepper ..... wouldn't your cuz's sister be your cuz also? lol

Guess so. lol

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!!! LINK IN MY POST ABOVE!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.