Our March Orchid Madness

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I picked this up last year for $15 at a flea market where Carol lives. It's a NOID but finally bloomed. It just sits under a Magnolia tree and seems to like it

Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Encyclia cordigera in full bloom

Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Jeweled Ludisia in full bloom

Thumbnail by ted5310
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

A full spray of Dancing Ladys

Thumbnail by ted5310
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Jim,
My wife saw your Den farmeri and she told me to put it on my list

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Gorgeous pics, Ted. I've been circling around the Jewel orchids lately, and yours are so pretty. Nice foliage.

I've finally got Phaius Microburst 'Wild Thing' to show off along with Jim. Here it is beside its pious sister the Nun.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Gather around Qwilter and other fans of unusual orchid blooms. The Sarcoglottis sceptrodes has opened.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Now for something completely different, here is an update on the Cattleya maxima. I put it on the essential list and you can see why.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Another from the essential list is the Dendrobium Nobile hybrid. Years ago I found this orchid on the orphan table at HD with a Cattleya tag on it. Check out the number of flowers on this plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I couldn't resist taking another shot of Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A second bloom has opened on the Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Last fall I thought whatever was in this pot had died so I put it in the scrap pile to recycle. I was looking for a pot yesterday and found these lovely blooms. It looks like a Bletilla to me and half of the remaining tag says: Bob'. Anyway, it was a nice surprise.

Jim

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 5:53 PM

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, I started with weird so I'll finish with weird. This is an update on Bulbophyllum mandibulare.

Now I'm going to sit back and anxiously await news from Laurel on what she adopted at the big Atlanta show.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

My Orchid collecting friend went to the Philly Flower show this past weekend. We were just discussing our weekend Orchid purchases. Here we both came home with the Coconut scented Orchid.

Jim - that green fuzzy Orchid is more the wierd!!!!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That Den. Nobile is just fabulous, Jim. Such pretty flowers and SO many!

I've been reading up on Bletilla, since I ordered some. No wonder you thought they were dead, they act like perennial bulbs, evidently. Lose leaves completely in the fall and lay dormant underground until spring. Nice find, and happy that you didn't pitch them! They sound like my kind of orchid!

Second flower stem on Cym. Kenny's Wine.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Ted. nice show. I've been looking and looking to find a name for your NOID Cym but no luck so far. It's a good one at any rate. I also like your Encyclia.

Elaine, Nice pic of the two Phaius together. I'm glad your wild thing finally bloomed.

I've also been looking for a name for my surprise Bletilla and think I have found it, The best I can do is Bletilla straita 'Big Bob'. Having the 'Bob' to work with helped in the search. Hear's another picture of it.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Great show, Ted! Do tell where this flea market is...are you shopping in Little Saigon? I really like that cym.
dzzy, Love those Phaius!
Jim, The Sarcoglottis and the Bulbo look like they can feed themselves! LOL! I can't believe you were going to throw out the Bletilla!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Great pix as usual,Jim. I have been looking for a name for that yellow cym. myself. The shot is a little on the green side. The actual flower is a pale yellow. And so the culture sheet on Bletilla straita 'Big Bob' needs to add, will grow well on scap heap for recycled plants. Gotta love it.
As far as weird goes, I'm still hung up on that Gongora smaug

dyzzypyxxy. I have that Cym. Kenny's Wine. It was one of my NOID cyms and now it has a name. Thanx

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Carol,
When I looked it up I found that it is in Old Downtown Orange, Not Santa Ana. But not too far from you.
It is a small one, but I picked up the cym, a few cactii and an old plant stand that took a coat of paint and now holds some Begonias.
http://oldtownfleamarket.com/
When: Second Saturday of every month from 7am to 3pm
Where: 146 N. Grand Street, Orange Ca 92866 (off Chapman just east of the circle)

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Ted! I'll have to check that out .

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Great pics...
Love the Dendrobium Nobile too, and I'm on the hunt for the Den. farmeri.

Jim have fun with taxes...we get ours done by mid/late Feb. every year...I hate doing them and
it's a PIA with all the farm stuff...
Finally got the Phal's together for a family photo on one side of the porch,
Somehow I lost the pic for the orchids on the other side of the porch.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2012 5:42 AM

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Elaine,
Did your "Yellow Bird" look like this..
Here's a pic of my noid Brassavola with 3 blooms open now at different stages...
I did a google search and found a pic of Yellow bird that looks identical.
I just love this little one.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Here is Den. Burana Pink...it's really a bit more yellow at the throat, and lighter, I think cause it was cloudy it came out darker..

Couple of noid Phal's...

Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmm, pretty! My NoID that I think is Yellow Bird did that thing with the rosy petals that turned orange in the end. But mine never had the freckles like yours. Let's see if I can dig back and find the early, and last pictures of it. When I went looking, the photo gallery of Yellow Bird had some with freckles and some without. Who knows.

(and frankly my dear, who cares?)

Seems I didn't take a good pic of it's final coloring, which was bright orange petals and a yellow lip.

I do have one that I bought that is actually labeled as B. Yellow Bird. No spikes yet, but we'll see!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

On most I don't really care about the id...but on this one I kinda wanted to figure it out...

seems I forgot to post the pic of the Den. Burana Pink, but all the trouble getting pics uploaded I lost it.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The show was fantabulous! I am not at all recovered and by shear coincidence our monthly meeting is tonight. We closed at four yesterday but stayed to break down displays and help vendors pack and load plants until almost seven. The botanical garden requires us to leave the floors decently clean. Guest exhibitors love to buy big bags of cypress mulch to pour all over the cork floors and hang orchids from crape myrtle branches hanging in sphagnum moss. The natural jungle look you know. At the end of the show exhibitors take their plants and leave us with the clean up.. Harry Phillips, of Andy's, stayed over to be our guest speaker tonight. The topic is species miniatures. I'd have to be dead to miss it. BTW, we used to call these orchids I love so much "botanical oddities".

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Sounds like a lot of work, but a good way to gather mulch, moss, and branches for home use.

[quote="MaypopLaurel"]The show was fantabulous! I am not at all recovered and by shear coincidence our monthly meeting is tonight. We closed at four yesterday but stayed to break down displays and help vendors pack and load plants until almost seven. The botanical garden requires us to leave the floors decently clean. Guest exhibitors love to buy big bags of cypress mulch to pour all over the cork floors and hang orchids from crape myrtle branches hanging in sphagnum moss. The natural jungle look you know. "

Laurel, that is one reason I hang my Orchids/Hoya's from my Oaks in the best possible place I can find. I love the natural look, even if it means I have to jump thru hoops thru a few months. And I do here, because we get just cold enough to make it necessary. One reason I've moving away from some types to others and mounted as they seem to be easier to manage. And I'm SLOWLY discovering they don't necessary need as much pampering as I thought....

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, yes and you came home with...?

Jim

Carol, there's no way I wanted any of it by Sunday night. After spending five grueling days on my feet for up to ten hours a day all I wanted to do was put my feet up and sleep for a week.

MJS, I hear you. It's best to grow what suits your conditions. Then again, some like hoop jumping. I've seen some pretty creative hoops for orchids to jump through in my day. We were just talking about people buying discarded walk in wine coolers, and outfitting them with shelving and lights, to grow cool orchids last night.

Okay, okay, Jim! Here's the list...
I bought:
Trichosalpinx chamaelepanthes http://www.orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/trichosalpchamelepanthes.jpg
Dendrobium cootesii (photo with Jim Cootes) http://www.orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/dendrochilcootesii.jpg
Podochilus muricatus http://www.orchidspecies.com/podmuricatus.htm
Gasstrochilus japonicus (my third species of this genus cause I love them) http://www.orchidspecies.com/gastrochilusjaponicus.htm
Isochilus aurantiacus (looks like very fine-leaved grass) http://www.andysorchids.com/pictureframe.asp?pic=images/Species/2962med.jpg&PicId=2962&PicNam=Isochilus%20-%20aurantiacus
Paphinia Majestic (4n x cristata) http://www.orchids.com/Paphinia-Majestic-herrerae-x-cristata-P1452.aspx
Dendrobium bulleanum (which ranges in nature from golden yellow to brilliant orange) http://www.orchidspecies.com/denbullenianum.htm

I was gifted by pro and amateur grower friends with:
Two Pleurothallis palliolata divisions http://www.orchidspecies.com/pleurpalliolata.htm
Ceratostylus rubra (to replace my beautiful one that froze) http://www.orchidspecies.com/ceratostylusrubra.htm
Four cuttings that I mounted as two specimens of Dockrillia wassellii (Dendrobium but being name changed) http://www.orchidweb.com/orchidofweek.aspx?id=46
Odontonia Debutant 'Oxbow' http://www.rightplants4me.co.uk/?q=content/plant&PlantID=1784&Odontonia%20Debutante%20Oxbow
Lc. Cerrito x sib.(the x sib. makes it more golden than this photo) http://www.flickr.com/photos/eerikas_bilder/5526791277/

I found (honest):
While sweeping up I found what appears to be (because I have it) a single fan of Tolumnia sylvestris http://www.orchidspecies.com/tolsylvestre.htm

Did I do good or what?

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 6:36 PM

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I count 13 plus the four cuttings. I'll have to notify the orchid police. The link for the Tolumna sylvestris sends me back to the Lc. Cerrito X. All in all, I'd say you did very good. I'm going to have to study more about some of these because they are new to me. It looks like you are on the road to recovery after the freeze debacle. Congratulations!

Jim

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Love those orange Orchids..................

Me too, Quilter!

Jim, if I'm under oath here I have to admit to one omission. How's this for a fanagle? I was nutz for a red form Bulbo. ovalifolium http://www.orchidspecies.com/bulbovalifolium.htm right off but was hoarding orchid bucks while mulling over choices. So another grower came by Andy's while I was lusting and admired the tiny plant ($20). Its pbs grow one right on top of another like a solid chain of pbs. Doesn't ramble like a lot of Bulbos. Really cute. Anywhoo, the plant had five trailing leads, one of which was clear off the mount. So I said, "Paul, have I got a deal for you! This Bulbo. is $20 and has five leads. That one hanging is going to require a new mount. I'll amputate that lead and give you six bucks for the lead." We struck a deal and now I have a two inch (if I'm lucky) piece of this beautiful, if not petite, Bulbo.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The police report will read 13.5 plus the four cuttings. :>) (It's a beauty by the way)

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Love the bulbo at the end there, and what a wheeler-dealer you are, Laurel! That one's unusual to my (novice) eye because it has big petals and a little lip. Seems breeders have been going for the opposite in a lot of orchids. It's a simple, elegant little flower, and what a fabulous color! I like the Pine Orchids too.

I have Lc. Trick or Treat finally holding its flower the right way up, and the little peachy Tol from Krull-Smith has 4 new spikes and another flower open!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Dyz, SO saw the Lc.Trick Or Treat and zoomed in to admire. He doesn't even grow orchids. Very pretty. Does the Tol. have a name? Jim Krull had some pretty Tols. this past year. I'd not seen them there before.

Jim, lol!

I know I've missed commenting about a bunch of flowers. MJS and Ted, you have some real beauties going on there these days. I appreciate the hard work everyone invests in growing and blooming their plants.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

You really scored, Laurel!

I was determined to finally go to the Santa Barbara International Orchid show this comming, but they are predicting a rain storm starting Fri. night here, and I'm not going to drive 2 1/2 hours in a rain storm. I'm watching to see if it passes through by Sun., in which case I'll go then.

In the mean time, I found these blooming yesterday....Pot. 'Cameron's magnatism", Blc.Zul 'Wiaomao fantasy', and Slc. Aloha Jewel SVO X C. Orchidglade SVO

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL

Carol, Santa Barbara comes but once a year. You have to go regardless of weather. If Harry and Leslie Phillips are there say, "Hi" for me. Glad to see someone has Catts blooming. Maybe there is hope for mine. I can't bloom these orchids well if at all. I know this sounds ludicrous but it is true.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Carol, those are all just lovely. Amazing pinks there.

Laurel, that little Tol turns out not to be a Tol atTol.

Zlm. Teipel's Goldbar is its name. Had to get out the magnifying glass to read the tiny print. For those of us like me who have no clue what Zlm. meant, it is Zelemnia - i.e. Tolumnia x Zelenkoa. I have to look up Zelenkoa . . does it ever end with the names??

Now I went on a Google search for that name and got at least 3 different colors on the flowers, none of which look at all like mine. arg. The Tolumnia it came from is Tol. Aleka 'Peaches' and mine does have pale yellow flowers with teeny tiny reddish spots that give them a definite peach cast as they age. Hm.

So then I get to this point and say "who cares" as long as it's a healthy plant that flowers nicely. Knowing it's ancestry lets me give it the right care, so do I really need to know all this?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice growing, Carol. My favorite is the Blc.Zul 'Wiaomao fantasy'.

Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.