Our March Orchid Madness

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Ted, to answer your question on the size of Dendrobium spectabile, I'll post a couple of pictures of her and a yard stick.

Jan, thanks for all of the info on the Sarcoglottis. I'll give it my best shot.

Elaine, gotta love the Puanani. Great color.

Quilter, that Gongora is a good one for weird flowers as is the Sarcoglottis sceptrodes and its beautiful foliage. Put on your buying shoes and have at it!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

That lava burst 'Puanani' is outstanding.

Thanx, Jim. I really like that plant.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Jim, my personal favorite is your Sarcoglottis, foliage for when it's not blooming, and the blooms are a bonus.
D's SO and I were in Lowes today getting PVC fittings to replace Automatic waterer's for a couple of the horse's stall's and he was on one side of the store and I was on the other...he DC'd me and told me to come over to the Houseplant dept...there was a Orchid there he was sure I was going to want.
Sure enough and NO tag...but it has FRECKLES !!!!
LOL...and a great price to boot...9.98 blooming and a few more buds coming...NICE healthy plant...not one I ever really expect to find in Lowes.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like a Brassavola cross. Well worth the $10. Good buy.

Jim

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, I'm very happy with the purchase. After it's done on a mount it goes. My favorite way to have the Orchids.....
I've seen similar one's going on Ebay for much more for blooming size,Makes me think I better keep a better eye on Lowe's especially with the litte Tol's they have had lately. Some very cute, even w/o their tag's orchid's at a great price.
Certainly better than I would be able to afford at an Orchid show. At some point I'll get an Id on it. And if I don't well,it's got freckles !!! I don't really care !

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Great buy, Mj! Love those Brassavolas - don't forget to go out and take a sniff of it in the dark in case it's got that night fragrance thing going. Some do and some don't, my yellow surprise one did, Little Stars sure does, but Little Lulu didn't have any scent.

Lowe's sure does seem to get some interesting orchids! I have a new store near our place that I've been haunting.

north coast nsw, Australia

dyzzyphyxxy- I think your Phal's older leaves are just read to fall off maybe. Looks healthy enough, your probably going to repot it once the flowers finish anyway and can check out the roots then just to make sure. You have some nice orchids there, that Howeara has interesting flowers.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've been reviewing posts and photos in hopes of catching up. Been very busy and the Atlanta show is now days away. We start setting up the exhibit hall at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens on Wednesday. Vendors set up Thursday and the show opens Friday. Please come if you can. I honestly have been so busy I did not pre-order a single plant! (: Guess I'll scope out whatever shows up.

Carol, thanks for worrying about me. Our weather was horrific. We had tornado watches and warnings that kept getting extended and when I went to turn off my light at 11:30 I saw there was a weather advisory until 5 a.m.. After the freeze several weeks ago I hardly slept. Everything was fine in the morning.

No time to set up plants for photos but here are snaps of a few 'chids blooming in the greenhut. Pad.Orchidum Magic Wine is starting to open. Lots of spikes though I don't know what will be open by the show.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

This little one, Dendrobium rigidum, came home with me from the Redland show last May. It likes to grow dry and sunny.

My Miami neighbor gave me a small keiki cluster of NOID Den. last summer. It has only a single bloom which appears to be Den aphyllum. I'm excited about this because Den aphyllum makes a spectacular specimen plant. Assuming I live so long and have no greenhut disasters.

Not the best of Encyclia bractescens but man is it loaded with blooms.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

A better shot of the Oeoniella from last week. This is a very beautiful and fragrant mini that is hard to capture because of the white color and pale green throat.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Glad your OK, Laurel. Being from the midwest, I know how scary that can be. Beautiful plants Love the Dendrobium rigidum

Thanks Ted. I'll probably not be around this week much but want to let everyone know I'm peeking in when I can from my 'droid. I start running around tomorrow.

Ann Arbor, MI

Elaine -- Are the leaves on your variegated phal striped on the sides or is that just a trick of the light? I like your Howeara -- never heard of them -- are they an oncidium relative?

Jan

Jan thats what variegated means green with the yellow stripes. Theres alot of variegated plants there alot less common than the ordinary green type though. Its a nice phal hey!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel, great show and it's good to hear from you. I'd be excited about the Den aphyllum as well.

My Cattleya maxima opened a single bloom yesterday.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My Dendrobium nobile hybrid is covered with buds and is beginning to open a few. When in full bloom, it is unbelievable.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Dendrobium Upin King 'Serenade'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel's Cym Leodogran 'Cradlemont' has simply exploded in flowers.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This first picture is Phaius Nun's orchid and the second is Phaius microburst 'Wild Thing'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My new Gongora smaug (Gon. clavidora X pterodactyl) has opened a bit more. You can really make out the pterodactyls.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Laurel, Glad you're ok. Also happy to see your greenhut freeze wasn't a total disaster. Very nice pics.

Jim looks like it's Den. season at your house. Very nice ones.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Potinara Hoku Gem 'Freckles' opens dark and then reverts to yellow. The first picture is from a week ago and the second one was taken today.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Dendrobium smilliae has opened a bit more and there is not a hint of pink on it. I do believe it is the alba form.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly' opened a new flower yesterday. Gotta love the sequential bloomers.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll leave you with this simple little NOID Phal. It's as pretty as any of them.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Jim, fantastic show. Love those pterodactyls, and the Potinara is gorgeous.

You beat me to the posting on Microburst 'Wild Thing'. Mine's just about to open its first flower. Looks like you've got yours growing in a bit more light than mine - might account for your Nun's orchids being a little stronger color. Do yours get a bit of sun?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Jan, yes the leaves on that Phal have some yellow striping on them, but unfortunately, the plant seems to have less and less of the variegation as it grows. Oh well, it's worth growing for the flowers anyway.

Howeara, I'll bet I've looked it up 4 times and keep forgetting what its relatives are. It is Leochilus x Oncidium x Rodriguezia. They're quite small plants with similar form to the little Oncs. When I got these (I bought 4 of them) they all had spent flower stems that were 10in. or taller. This little one is the last one blooming, but I've nested all the pots in a clay bowl together, and hope they'll put on a show in the fall.

Ann Arbor, MI

Bree -- Thanks. I wasn't sure I was seeing that right. I have Phal schilleriana that has variegated leaves, but this one looks like it came off an agave --- didn't realize they "made" phals like that. Cool. I assume Phal schilleriana is variegated naturally, but this looks like the product of specific breeding. Do you know if this is the case? I ask because I've always love variegates of any sort, (the more unnatural the better) but it always seem like they are a lot less hardy than their natural counterparts.

Jim -- Interesting potinara. I've noticed that my cattleya does this a too (opens dark and lightens over time). Is this common? You Catt maxima is beautiful by the way.

Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Cattleya maxima, Jim. The lip is breathtaking. Love the graceful form as well. Found what looks like an Encyclia cordigera . . . but not quite . . . at Trader Joe's for $7.99 so, of course it came home with me. I will post a photo in the next day or so for your consideration.

Glad to see you post, Maypop! Best of luck with the show. Wish I lived closer!

yeah schilleriana does have naturally mottled leaves and not varigated. I supose they may be varigated ones out there but then they'd look like dyzzyphxxy's phal.
Varigation is natural, its a flaw in the plant, like lack of Chlorophyll and yes the plant would usually be weaker.
I think dyzzyphxxy's Phal is interesting though and would go for a higher price flaw or not.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Good morning, Everybody! Beautiful stuff this month. I'm enjoying the photos.

A quick plea for help: I brought home a beautiful Amazon Lily mid-February. Only yesterday did I realize it was accompanied by a HERD of mealy bugs under the newest leaves. I've picked and cleaned with Q-tips and alcohol, and used my "natural spray" to no avail. I've got orchids as well as potted tropicals that I've separated. I think the bugs have gone beyond where I can see them, maybe into the roots. It's time for something not-so-natural, I'm afraid - something systemic.

Any advice on something I can grab at Lowe's and use on everything; safe for orchids?

This was a tough lesson on keeping things jam-packed together in a window. These things have spread like wildfire. Thanks!!

Scott

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Scott, did you try Neem oil? It's safe for everything, and it's my next go-to after the mild and natural stuff fails.

Beyond that, the "Bayer 3-in-1 Insect, Disease and Mite Control" can be used as a douse, as well as sprayed. Chemical warfare stinks, but sometimes it's necessary. Blue bottle at Lowe's or HD.

Elaine

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My advise is Bayer 3 in 1 Insect, Disease and Mite Control, Concentrate. Active ingredient is Imidacloprid.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

We cross posted, Elaine. Great minds work alike.

Jim

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks to both great minds! :o) I'm off to Lowe's now that I know what works...

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Scott, kill a mealy for me.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Better post these poor babies before they get any more tattered. They can all take the 40 something nights, but not the dry winds we've had all winter. Coelogyne cristata was loaded with spikes, but many dried up. It's in the orchid shack now, and recovering nicely.
Zygo. 'psycho' is just starting to bloom (no scent), NPP 'Kathleen' is my new one (nice scent), and is a houseplant till spring arrives, and Zygo. redvale 'Fire Kiss' has been sending up one spike at a time all winter, but its lips got fried in the breezy 90 degree heat the last two days (very strong scent).

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL

Scott, Bayernette those mealys pronto!

Carol, Coelogyne cristata is just spectacular! You should really be proud of that specimen. The Zygos are lovely too. My Zygos always get ratty looking after a time.

Spent the day running around doing show errands and stopped by an orchid friend's house to pick up supplies. He gave me two pieces of Pleurothallis palliolata http://www.orchidspecies.com/pleurpalliolata.htm I'm all warm and happy.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 5:07 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.