March, 2012!! Spring has sprung (or is springing-maybe).

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Finally got this photo off my phone
Jeri, Mary, and Busybee Mary

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Cindy you were not suppose to post that one with my mouth running!!!! LOL!!! Of course, as you all know it's running most of the time!!!!

We did have fun and I got tons of plants!!! Now I'm dead tired!!! So I'm headed first to the tub and then to bed. Maybe pictures tomorrow!!!

Ripley, MS

I just asked on another thread if you made it Cindy, I love that osteospermum. They are so beautiful!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Yes I did make it Sandra. I was determined I was going this year. Jeri I only took the 2 pictures and you were talking in both of them . LOL Jeri I forgot to buy the Mexican Heather at Halberts that was 3.00 for a full gal. I stopped at Lowes and a skimpy 4 inch pot was 3.99. Needless to say I did not buy it. Looks like I will be digging up my clumps I have and separating them.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I know you all had a great time and bought lots go goodies!! Sure wish I could have been there!!

Jeff is leaving tomorrow. He is driving back but plans to take about four days going back. He said Kristi does,t like to drive and he does. Seems he actually wanted to drive out when they moved from Dallas out to CA but his job timing wouldn't allow it so he shipped his car then. We made that drive when he was about 16. Guess he wants to do it again.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I think I'm gong to take a few of my brugs out today. What are you all doing about your plants you have been overwintering?? I checked the 10 day forecast and it not going to drop below about 58 for the next 10 days. The high is between 75 and low eighties. It has been HOT here all week. I had to break down and turn on the A/C. It's the earliest I've done that in a long time!!!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Charlotte, I guess Jeff may want to just decompress and think about things while he drives back. My husband likes to drive too. I don't always understand it, especially when there's not much to see between point A and point B, but that's the way they roll!

I hear you about the A/C!! I've had mine on for 2or 3 days straight now and it's the earliest I can remember. We turned it on for a little while a few weeks ago too but not for long.

Looks like y'all had a grand time! I need (well, want really but same thing) a nursery run, but my favorite nursery is clear across the county. Maybe tomorrow....

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Lovely flower pic, Cindy! Jeri, Mary and Mary, y'all look great! Sounds like a fun time was had by all. I am certain all of you brought home tons of plants...we are gardeners, its what we do ;o) I wish we all could have been there! btw, Cindy, I don't see a picture of you...

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone!

Oh look at y'all, you all look really good! Love the flowers! I want to change my beds, grow something different, bored with what I got.

All my plants that were in the garage are all outside now, I think that we're done with freezing for the year.

Dave always drives rather than flies, he's too hyper and gets too giddy when flying, he's always got to be doing something. It takes 4-5 days to get back there when you drive, so that's about right. We always spend the night in Amarillo, Albuquerque, maybe Flagstaff, and there's another but I don't remember the name of the town. Oh well. Gallup has an excellent Denny's that's ran by local American Indians, we love that Denny's, it's the best one we've ever found.

I've had my ac on every day lately. I wish it would stay 80* forever!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Cindy, looks like ya'll had a great time! I know that you did!! I love that Osteospermum, it looks beautiful! I really wish I could get back to Forrest Hills....... I forget Cindy, how long a drive is it from your house to there??

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Forgot to say I saw a dogwood in FULL bloom this morning! Hadn't noticed any others blooming yet, but this one was covered in blooms! Mid March.........boy does that seem early! But, like you , I had to turn on the AC last night - turned it back off this morning.....

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm doing a lot of cleanup this year seems like- maybe because it was so hot last summer and I did almost no cleaning up. I finished cleaning everything out of the second bed I'm taking out and cutting down all the vines and all the small trees that had somehow managed to grow up in that bed so now the hubby can mow that part of the yard as well. Made a little headway on the overgrown used-to-be rose bed but that'll take another couple of hours to finish. But I'm starting to think I may get it done after all.

My son came over on Wednesday and cut down a bunch of small trees for us so we have been busy cleaning all that up. I had him cut down my double red althea that grew right at the edge of the pond. I sorta feel bad about cuting it down but those flowers just made a MESS of the pond all summer long. Plus I have a lot of daylilies planted around where it was and they really need more light. It is weird how different it looks out there now. I'll have to post a picture this weekend when I get a chance to take one. I have a seedling from it so I'm going to plant it somewhere else in the yard where I don't have to scoop the flowers out of the water every day.

Just an FYI I went into Lowes in Bryant on Tuesday and they already had racks of clearance stuff. They had some lilacs for 7.50 a pot and some Armeria for 1.50 each and of course the same person who said she was NOT going to be buying new stuff bought 10 Armerias and 1 Euphorbia plant. However, I am happy to report that said person planted all 11 of those plants as of yesterday! I am determined to keep from having a million pots on my deck this summer full of stuff I don't know where to plant. We'll see how well that determination holds up in the face of the clearance rack at Lowes:)

Oh and guys I STILL have a bazillion iris rhizomes that it looks like I'll be stuck with so if you know anyone at all who'd like some please steer then my way.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm doing lots of clean up myself. I've been out all morning taking some stuff out of the workshop. It's hot and humid and it's really needing to come out or I'm going to have to turn the a/c on for it! LOL I have lots of repotting of brugs and other stuff that going to take me a month or so to finish!

My pink dogwood over my koi pond has started blooming. Hosta are popping up everywhere. Although I'm taking a lot of my brugs out I can't really place them until more stuff finishes coming up. Don't want to sit a big huge pot of brug on top of something.

Tomorrow I'm going to work on raised beds for our neighborhood community garden. A couple of guys have already built a few beds and we're going to build more tomorrow and then fill them. They already have compost and dirt to fill with.
Now I'm going to have to decide what I'm going to plant in my space.

Ripley, MS

I have been doing lots of cleaning too---inside the house, Amanda came and got the girls last night and stayed until 11pm, so I did nothing last night but plop down in this recliner. Got the kitchen done all but mopping, now for the living room. I make them sit at the bar to eat, but somehow I still wind up,with crumbs everywhere when they are here. We had some rain earlier today.
Karen, I have planted a few euphorbia the last couple of years and have lost them all. I hope you have better luck with them than I did.
It is time to put out your fertilize if you want to broadcast it. March is the month to store fertilize in the beds!
I have mine ready, but need to get more leaves out of the beds before trying to fertilize them.

Whew Charlotte it is humid isn't it. I think I notice that more than the temp. Last night even as it was getting dark it was still so humid I was sweating like crazy. I didn't know you had ANYWHERE where there wasn't a plant growing!! HA HA! I love the look of your backyard and I have no idea how you keep up with where things are planted but don't you love walking out there and noticing something coming up and the remembering oh yeah that is the ???? I bought last year. I think I am always surprised that things come up again because I look out there in winter and think everything must have died as bleak as it looks and then spring comes and wow I forget all the things I have gotten planted.

Sandra we cross posted but I hope this one works out I had never seen one before and this one was on the clearance rack (looked like the pot had been knocked over) but was in really good shape so we'll see. If it is fussy I'm sure it'll die:(

Karen I'll take some of those off of your hands, I have places for them.

Charlotte which brugs are you taking up? I wish I had a good place for them. I want a brug garden, one plant of every color. Is that community raised bed in full sun and does it get water every day during the summer?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Christine I'm not taking up my brugs. I'm moving them from the workshop to the outside. After I get them out then I have to figure out spots I can put them in!!

Yes our community garden gets full sun and we have water running to it. We have a neighborhood pool and tennis courts and we just happened to have some space next to the tennis courts. There were several trees on it but they were all cut down this fall and we also cleared a bunch of shrubs. We will each have our own bed (that is the folks that want one). We also have a pavilion that is getting a refurbishing and we can use it to get out of the sun and take a break. The person drawing it up is an architect and he has really done a nice job laying everything out. Our beds are really professional looking. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post.

Karen, I too will take some irises off your hands. I am certain we will have a RU/luncheon in the near future and I know the rest will be grabbed!

Took a few pics in my yard this morning. Mostly my mid-season daffs blooming. It's hard to call mid-March 'mid-season' isn't it? Supposed to be in the 80's again the next few days. A/C still running because it's so hot and humid outside. I'm off for a run and then dig some hellebores at my neighbors. This afternoon will watch DGD play soccer...always fun!

These first 2 daffs were a couple of new ones I planted last fall.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

A view from the deck of the dogwoods about to bloom and redbud, and the Encore azaleas in one bed.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Cindy and Jeri:--sounds like y'all had a great time together. It is good to see the smiling (and talking) faces! LOL

I suppose I will have to get out and do some clean-up in my flower beds when I get back to Harrison in a week. In the meantime, I will be in central AR helping out with the kids at MIchelle#2's house while she is away. Her aunt is terminally ill and she is flying up to visit her for a few days in Ohio.
We are having unseasonably warm weather already--in the mid 80's! I wanted it to stay around 75F for a while! LOL

Elaine, the photos are lovely! Spring has sprung for sure!

You ladies have a good weekend!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm pooped tonight! I spent a big part of the day working on the community garden project. I screwed together 4 or 5 raised bed boxes, spread dirt in them after we finished building them. It was hot today - it's summertime - spring has already passed!!
After that project I went to Home Depot and bought eight 50 lb bags of sand (400 lbs). I loaded all 8 bags on my cart at the store but had someone load them in my truck for me. Then I took up a section of bricks in my brickwalk. I've got to relay a section as tree roots from the huge pine tree in front of it have gotten into the walkway. I'll do some more work on it tomorrow.

Here's are some pictures of what we are doing a the park. It was me and the guys!! No other women were brave enough to show up! But they've figured out I can keep up with them!! LOL

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue

You got 'em Kim and Crissy just let me know when/where you'd like to get them and I'll try to make it happen.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

When I got home this afternoon I discovered a bunch of stuff blooming. Didn't take time to go in and get my good camera but just used my phone.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I bet you are pooped!!! What is that first flower? The leaves look like a passion vine but not the flower.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri it's a tree peony. I got it from a coop a year or two ago. I have another one but it's not as far along as this one. I have them in large pots so I can move around if necessary.

Wow Charlotte those are nice blooms you have going there. I have peonies that are budding, guess I need to keep an eye on them. I have some iris that have some nice buds on them too. Your raised beds are exactly like Dave's raised beds for his veggies. Now I know for sure that he did it right!

Karen I can stop by one day after work or come up there on a weekend if you want, or I can come to your work and get them, or we can meet in the middle at lunch one day, whatever works best for you.

Let me know when y'all plan on doing this and maybe I can tag along...

Do you work downtown Crissy? Kim? I'm across the river but I can do it pretty much any day but Wednesdays - that girls is enchilada wednesday at El Chico for the Judkins clan!! Can't miss that!

I work over by the Heart Hospital on Monday and by the Baptist North Hospital on Tuesday. However, my busy gardening for others season is quickly approaching. So, Christine may end up with mine ;o) However, I will try to make it whenever y'all say...

I work in downtown Little Rock, in the Catlett Prien Building on the corner of 4th and Center (323 Center St. Little Rock, AR 72201) where Downtown Deli was. Karen I can meet you whenever you want and Kim I can run yours by your house and leave them on your porch if that's easier.

Booneville, MS

Sandra, It's both keeping me busy. We've hired some more help in the store and the trophy shop but it;s still crazy. plus with it getting warmer we will be open more hours.
I cut back my hours this week though. Just getting over a bad flare that I know was just from stress and overdo.

I did get a little edging and weeding this weekend but I had two of my grandsons so didn't get too much done. My youngest DD and SIL were in the mountains for their anniversary. The boys stayed with us but I had to send them to daycare one day so I could work. (I am a terrible grandmother!) Not doing that again. The store will just have to do without next time.
Cindy, love that flower! The colors are beautiful.
I can't wait to get started on my pots and annuals. I have't let myself look too much yet. I've got to get some Promix this afternoon though so I'll won't be able to resist looking at the nursery.

terrye

Terrye so glad you chimed in! My goodness you are a busy girl! Makes me tired just thinking of it. No you're not a terrible grandmother, just have a lot on your plate. Glad you've hired some extra help at the store and trophy shop. Don't overwork yourself, it's easy to do.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Charlotte love all your blooms. Sure glad Jeff didn't get caught up in all that bad weather. Being detoured is no fun either.
Terrye so glad to see you posting. Sorry you are having a flare. I'm sure your wonderful place is beginning to wakeup.

I hate it when Spring jumps on you like this year. I can't get the old cut out before the new is jumping up. I put out fertilizer this morn with the help of 2 year old Audrey. Now to get that rain. We have had way too much rain in the last 4 weeks. All my daylilies have rust. I cut the tops out of most of them yesterday ,also transplanted about 15 clumps to the driveway.
This is my stash I got at Forrest Hill . I have planted about half. Some of it is for pots but I won't let myself do the pots till I get the yard stuff behind me.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Terrye good to see you posting! Girl you got to slow down! Too many businesses going! By the way the Tiny Tiers hydrangea you gave me is still living. I plan to plant it in the groung this spring. I had left it in the pot and sunk the pot in the ground in a spot where I wouldn't lose it. It's frown and is really healthy looking.

Cindy love Your stash especially the chenille plants.

I just got back from visiting a friend and took her a few things and she gave me several things. Got to go out and get them in pots until I can get them in the ground. Got my Cajun hibiscus from a coop today and also got to get thm potted up. My caladium bulbs are supposed to be here tomorrow so I'm going to be busy potting!

Jeff called me a couple of hours ago and he was in CA going through the desert. He has been really good to keep me posted on where he is. He should be home by 7 his time. I know he will really be glad to be home.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Goodness, that is quite a stash Cindy, I too love those chenille plants. Charlotte. I put out alot of stuff this past weekend, I hope I didn't jump the gun.

I went to hopes and dreams last friday and bought 80.00 worth of stuff. she just doesn't have the stuff like she did that first year though, nothing in the area of where her mobile home is, just a few things for the shade, the greenhouse was full and around the outside. I did manage to spend alot lol I'm looking forward to going to Rita's as I'm not sure I'll get to spend any money on plants other than right there.

Crissy, that would be delightful! But I don't want you to go out of your way..too much...I know it is out of your way. Just let me know...or I will see them on the porch and know who brought them ;o)) I can probably be home by the time you head this way...maybe. LOL

Terrye, you take care. Those flare-ups can be awful!

Charlotte, I hope Jeff enjoyed his drive back to Cali.

Wow Cindy! That's a lot of stuff! I hope I have that much when I return from Rita's!

KA, if it makes you feel any better, I took out all house plants this weekend. So you know we will have a freeze now! Do you happen to know if Dian is getting in more stuff? I don't want to make the drive if I cannot spend a lot of money...oh I laughed out loud when I typed that sentence. hahahaha

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I took everything out of the workshop!! It really needed to come out. I can't buy any more tropical plants!!!!!!!!!!! I've got to figure out where in the world I'm going to pit the ones I have. My caladium bulbs came late this afternoon. I'm going to put them in pots for now and will give them a permanent summer home later.

Seems like hopes and dreams may be going more toward annuals. I loved her stuff the first year we went!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.