March, 2012!! Spring has sprung (or is springing-maybe).

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, we crossed. I have an old desk-top, too, that I haven't done anything with for the same reason. What do you mean by a "cover". Do you mean that Jeff took out the memory card or cards that have all the information on them and the cover is for the memory boards? And you can hook it up to your laptop? Oh, in case I haven't told you, Michelle and Ray said they really enjoyed meeting you when they picked up the rocking chair. I love the chair, by the way.

I keep forgetting stuff I want to tell y'all. I don't remember if I posted on this thread that my sister had a stroke on Feb. 17th. She was in the hospital for a week and in Baptist Rehab in Little Rock until this past Friday (March 9th). Her right side was affected. She lost the use of her right arm completely--she is right handed--and her right leg was not strong enough to support her although she could move it. She could talk but her speech was slow and she slurred some of her words. Well, she is now walking, Praise the Lord--although with a cane. Her speech has improved considerably, too. She still doesn't have the use of her arm--it's like dead weight to her. She will continue with physical therapy two or three times a week. Please keep her in your prayers--that she will regain the use of her arm completely. Thank you.

Oh, one more thing--I have been using Firefox for over a year and would not go back to IE. Firefox is sooooo much better.
OK, I think that's all--unless I think of something else! LOL

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 5:41 PM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn I'm attaching a picture of what he took out. It's 4 x 51/2 x 1 inch and very heavy. It was in the area close to the cd drive. The computer cover is supposed to be very easy to come apart but for some reason mine was very stubborn. I was thinking it would be somewhere in the back but it was more toward the front. Yes that's what he is saying. You can buy a cover/case for the hard drive (what you see in the picture). The case/cover will have a power cord and a USB port. He is saying you can plug it into power and then connect it to your labtop/computer via a USB cable and access the information on the hard drive. There are a bunch of pins on one end of the 1 inch part that plugs in. He had to unplug it from my computer. He also said you will not be able to buy the cover from Best Buy or any type store like that. He said you will only find them at local computer repair shops.
Now let's see if it will let me upload photos. I've been having problems with that.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Now let me try something more interesting!
Here are some of my camellias. The pink one is amazing. It's been blooming for several months. It just keeps on and keeps on.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm on a roll! Let's try some more. Here's my big hellebore. I have several others but this has the best show.

The pink branch is my tulip tree which is now budding out with leaves.

The yellow is a native plant that I can't remember the name of right now. I need to get a label on it.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Charlotte and Marilyn that is the Hard drive to your computer where you store information and the 'box' is an external hard drive box which basically is just a cover and a cord. You really don't even need the box but it just protects the hard drive and makes it easier to use. The computer geeks don't bother with them. Usually the hard drive attaches with a special cord called a ribbon cable to the motherboard. This external drive box just lets you hook a cable to the hard drive where it usually would attach to the motherboard and the other end is a USB which means that you can use it just like a thumb drive or usb stick. The computer will assign it a hard drive letter like 'E' or 'F' and you can copy stuff off of it or you can use it to backup your new computer and then keep it in a safe place. Just for the record you have to have a working hard drive inside the current computer for this to work. For example you couldn't take a computer without a hard drive installed in it and use this external one thru the USB port. I have an external hard drive that I use to store pictures and tax returns so my regular hard drive doesn't get completely full. And yes this is how the computer guy gets information off your machine when something goes wrong with the machine itself. Of course hard drives can go out anytime whether they are 1 month or 10 years old so it is always smart to have a backup of your files somewhere just in case. Sometimes the computer guys can just copy or 'ghost' the information on a hard drive to a new one and walaa all your info is there when you start your new computer (that is a simplified version of how that works)

Just for the record the memory in a computer isn't where you store information it works more like a switching station where it holds some information to help the computer work faster while it is writing and reading files. SO having more memory makes a computer faster because it doesn't have to look for a place to hold information while it works but having a bigger hard drive means you can save more things permanently.

Hard drives as Charlotte said are heavy and a rectangular box - memory is usually a thin rectangle that looks like a computer board with a lot of little electrode thingys on it but it is smaller than a mother board around 1 inch by 3-4 inches depending on what kind of memory it is.

OK finished with the computer lesson girls:) Charlotte how is Jeff doing? Off to bed I go talk to you guys tomorrow:)

Booneville, MS

You guys are making me feel lazy. I haven't had time to do anything in my yard yet. But I do have things blooming everywhere.
The pictures are making me itch to get outside and work. I love your camillias, Charlotte.

How is your arm doing, Sandra? I hope it is well enough for you to work outside like you like to.
I'm trying to get caught up with everyone. My schedule is so hectic right now I barely have time to breath! lol

Terrye

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I made another dent in the jungle that I previously knew as my garden yesterday and I am so sore today I can hardly move, but there is a smile on my face over what I was able to accomplish. Now to pick up all my debris and haul it to the compost pile. 2 beds down and how many more to go. LOL!!!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri that's the part I hate doing! I can fling that stuff out of the beds! LOL But it always seems harder to gather up all the debris!!

Karen his dad is not doing well at all. He had a really rough day yesterday. He was feeling nauseous and decided the morphine was causing the problem and didn't want to take it. Jeff had to call the nurse and she talked to his dad and he still wouldn't take it. Jeff finally told him he was going to have to check him into the facility if he wouldn't do what the nurse said. I got an email from him this morning and he said he taking the morphine ok today and is even talking about taking the stronger they have on hand. He hasn't eaten since noon yesterday and doesn't want anything. They brought oxygen out several days ago and he has him hooked up to it today. He had a really hard time getting him to the bath room and back. He said it's like running a race for his dad. He also said he talks ok but what he says is not very coherent. The nurse is coming out today. Don't think he will last much longer.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte and Karen: thanks for the info on the computer. What I was thinking about are the memory boards. I guess I would have to go searching for the hard drive "board" or whatever you want to call it but "I will think about that tomorrow!" ROFLOL Today, I have better things to do. :o)

Charlotte; your camellias are gorgeous! Your hellebore is huge! Mine will look like that someday, hopefully, but moving them up here to Harrison has set them back a bit although 3 of them are blooming, which was unexpected this year. My blue hellebore still has not bloomed but it is very small--maybe next year.
It certainly does sound as if Jeff's dad can't last much longer but you never know. I thought my ex would have left this earth months ago but he is actually doing a little better than he was a couple of months ago. That is not to say that he is getting well--short of a supernatural miracle from God, that is not likely to happen. Anyway, Jeff is certainly to be commended for leaving his family in CA to come to AR to care for his dad during this time! You raised him right, Charlotte!

Charlotte Poor Jeff - Waynes mom was like that the last 3 days of her life. She would talk but you couldn't understand her very well and most of it really didn't make sense. She insisted on staying on the couch - she refused to get into her bed unless it was dark outside which would have put her much closer to the bathroom but she wouldn't have it and getting to the bathroom was really like Jeff said 'like running a race' she would be out of it for hours afterward. They had ordered her oxygen the day she died but it hadn't been delivered yet.

I'm sure the end is very near and I am praying for Jeff, his dad and you. You certainly did raise him rights since what is doing is not for the faint at heart!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks you all! That's just who Jeff is. Even though he is an only child, he has always been a very caring, compassionate person. Of all his football awards the one that I thought was the most important and showed what kind of person he is was when his team mates selected him for the Sportsmanship award. As soon as he knew what was in store for his dad, he made the decision to stay here with him - never considered doing anything else.

Marilyn, I've had that hellebore for about 9, maybe 10 years. I read an article in Southern Living about them and was really intrigued. Then shortly after that I was in Glenwood (working for the US Chamber of Commerce) and stopped in a little small nursery at noon one day. They had a small plant that looked like what I could remember from the picture. It was not labeled and the owner didn't have a clue what she had and don't think she even remembered where she got it. I went ahead and bought it and it did turn out to be a hellebore! It's the one that I get so many babies from. Some of the babies I transplanted a couple of years ago are now big healthy plants that are now blooming!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

It's very satisfying to see what of your plant "babies" thrive and grow into a lovely, mature plant with lots of blooms, isn't it? That is how I felt about the little "Hot Lips" that Sandra gave me and about all the other plants that my DG friends have given me over the last 5 years. I wish I could have brought them all with me to Harrison but I had to pick a few favorites and the hellebores were among those! :o) Kathy Ann gave me my first hellebore--a green one and it is blooming profusely even as I type! :D

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeff's dad died last night around 11 pm. Jeff said he ate a few bites of a hamburger at noon and then wanted to stand up for a few minutes. After he sat back down Jeff said he went to sleep and just steadily started going down hill. It was just the way Karen said her MIL went.

Jeff will probably be here the rest of the week closing out his apartment and taking care of other business. His dad did not want any kind of service but Jeff plans to have a memorial service at his church when he gets back. He feels they need some type service so they can have closure.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Jeff is correct, Charlotte. The memorial service is not for the one who has passed on--it is for the ones who remain. Jeff has a lot on his plate right now and probably will not even realize how many emotions he has pent-up inside of him until after he gets home. The memorial service will help him to process all those feelings.
My ex has told my daughter that he didn't want a memorial service either but she has already told him that they would be having one because it is a part of the healing process for the family and friends who remain. He agreed with her and said it was okay.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

So sorry to hear of his passing, Charlotte. Will be remembering all of you in my prayers.

Oh Charlotte I am so sorry for Jeff I guess the only good thing about AML is that the death is relatively painless and the process is so short. At least I would think that short would be easier if you had it - It probably makes it harder for the ones who are left behind in some respects. I am thinking of you guys!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Please give Jeff our condolences Charlotte. I know that the past few weeks had to be very difficult for him. The memorial service will be important to him.....

Our dear friend, that had been our neighbor for almost 20 years when we lived in East Camden also passed away yesterday. They had just diagnosed him in December with a fast growing brain tumor that was inoperable. His wife has Parkinson's really bad and he had been caring for her every need for several years.......she will be lost without him. He was 82 and would publicly profess his love for his wife any time he had a chance. He was a very military type guy who was pretty private, but he said he loved his wife more each day, and when he was diagnosed his only concern was that he was not supposed to go before her so that he could make sure she was taken care of! He was an awesome Christian mentor to my kids, they will miss him.

Well, CIndy, I haven't been able to attempt to rake any pine straw. We had a full day Saturday and of the weather was pretty. Then Sunday when I had hoped to get some things done outside, it rained all day!! Had several meetings last night I had to be at so nothing got done then either! I am a little concerned about raking up snakes out in the woods....... but my plans are to make lots of noise and hope they head out before I get to them! Not sure how good that theory is since there isn't any livestock or anything disturbing the area. I still don't have that big bed finished...... I may just end up having to finish it and put out the mulch I have there, and try to use straw in some of the smaller beds.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

By the way, we stopped by Leigh's Mom's house on our way to Monticello Saturday morning and I was roaming the yard to see what type of plants I might want to take home with me on another day - because I forgot my shovel! But, I found these two plants below. The first plant was actually in a yard that was next door to Leigh's mom but his brothers purchased the house last year when it came up for sale...... I have never seen anything like it that I know of. .....

The little white flower was in a bed up close to her back door. Anyway know what either of these are??

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Genna, those look like some wildflowers someone has lovingly, and successfully I might add, transplanted! Lucky you!

The first one is Trillium, and if I'm not mistaken, the second one is Spring Beauty. I could be wrong about the second one as there is another similar wildflower that blooms about this same time that is very similar and the name escapes me at the moment. I'll look it up tonight. It is hard to transplant trilliums, so you might dig them up as a clump. They also like shade or partial sun only so if you have a woodland bed area, they should do nicely there. They do come up on roadsides though. Don't know if you'll be successful transplanting but it's worth a try. Get them while you still can and know where they are!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

well my hyperlink to google didn't work for some reason. But Elaine is right.

Ripley, MS

Charlotte, so sorry, but I know Jeff is very anxious to get home to his family, I know he really needs comfort of being with them now. I am sure you will help him do what he needs to here for the rest of the week.
Give him hugs from all of us.

Well, my post to Charlotte didn't go through. Charlotte, I'm very sorry for the loss of Jeff's Dad, but we all know you and Jeff did all you could do on this earth for him.

When my friend's Dad was killed a couple of weeks ago, he had said he didn't want a big funeral, so they called it a 'non-service', but they also knew they needed to 'do something' for his friends to pay tribute to him. So they had visitors drop by the funeral home during a 2-hour period. They had photos on easels and albums of him doing what he loved to do with family and friends over the years. There were also a few framed sketches from his business and a few cute things that meant something to him...more like inside jokes than anything. The family members wore jeans and plaid shirts in his honor - his 'uniform', and a couple of people took pictures of the guests enjoying themselves in the memories. It was very nice, and I'm sure it gave many people the closure they needed.

Booneville, MS

Charlotte, so sorry to hear about Jeff's dad.

terrye

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Charlotte, I am so sorry to hear about your first hubby/Jeff's Dad.

Ripley, MS

Terrye, what have you been doing, hospital work, or store work? We have missed you

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks you all! I don't know for sure what can of service they will do. But I think it will be a pretty traditional service. He plans to hold it at his church. It actually makes a lot of sense for Jeff to have the service in CA. That way the kids don't have to fly all the way here and miss school. Also Jeff's support group and friends are all in CA and they will help him through the process. They are very active in their church and have lots of friends there.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

By the way, Alex has been asking me to find out a couple of things for him and I keep forgetting. Does anyone have any experience growing basil ?? Should I just try to find him some plants, or can he start it from seed? Will it live all summer and then die out when it freezes?

Also, he wants some info on mint.....and what type he should grow.... I told him I know that mint will need to be grown in a pot to keep it from taking over, but I didn't know which types were best to cook with.... anyone??? Kathy Ann ??? He loves cooking with rosemary, basil and all types of herbs......... I know NOTHING about any of them!!! I did purchase him a Rosemary plant around Christmas, and it is planted in his back yard but is not thriving............... and he could probably use most of the plant for one meal !! Suggestions on how to adequately supply his rosemary cooking habit ??

one more thing.............. he wanted to know if there were any plants that would help erradicate mosquitoes?? He has them bad already in his back yard - he has no water in his back yard, but the neighbors have a pond / waterfall in the backyard so that may be a source.

Any suggestions, help appreciated! Thanks!

Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna his backyard has a lot of shade so he's going to have to find someplace in the yard that gets a lot of sun. If it stays shady most of the day he will not be able to get herbs to thrive. If he plants anything in the ground the area he plants in is going to have to be amended.
There are plants that claim to keep mosquitoes away. However he would probably have to plant them every 5 feet all over his entire back yard and that may not even do it!!! LOL Ask me how I know!! LOL I've planted them! There are just lots of mosquitoes in LR. We always have them in the summer. The only thing I've found that will control them is Mosquito-B-Gone. It is a spray that you attach to the water hose. It will control them for almost 2 weeks and then I have to spray again. So if I'm going to have company and plan to be in the backyard I spray the day before. The mosquitoes always start getting bad late in the afternoon. The other solution is to just spray yourself with something like Deep Woods. I keep a can of spray at my back door. I doubt the pond and waterfall next door have anything to do with it. The water is moving and they probably have fish in the pond and they eat mosquito larvae.

Genna, Charlotte is right. The basil will need sun to do well. It can tolerate a little shade in the afternoon. But it will do very well in a pot provided you can put it where it can get some morning and midday sun. Just tell him to pinch the flowers off when it takes off. Then, when the plant is at it's healthiest, take the leaves and freeze them in ice cube trays with water to use for cooking. There are numerous ways to do this but unless he wants to make pesto with them, they are best harvested and frozen at their peak. The plant WILL re-grow leaves well into fall. I'd buy a plant at Lowe's or someplace rather than start from seed. I buy the Genovese basil plants and they do very well. Usually I find one that has 2-3 or more little plants in a cup and get more than my money's worth in case one dies when I pot it up. Use a big pot because it will get big.

As to the mosquitos, the pond next door, if it has moving water, actually is beneficial to the mosquito population. You'll just have to deal with the ones in your own yard like Charlotte says.

Ripley, MS

I think the most recommended plant to keep mosquitoes away is lemon balm, but I think it needs sun too.
There is a tutorial on my Pinterest board on Gardening that shows you how to prune basil to get the most out of the plant. I think I have one on drying it too, but think it is on the food idea board

If he grows the lemon balm and the mosquitoes are attacking, you can rub the plant on your arms and not smell like bug killer, you will smell lemony

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. His front yard does get sun, but I think it is afternoon sun, so the plants may not like that! Is this lemon balm something that is readily available in the nurseries? I have never heard of it..............

He does like to make pesto, and I suspect he is planning on doing a lot more of that this summer while he isn't having to study so much! But I will tell him the suggestion about freezing in ice cubes as well. I am sure he does use it in things other than pesto because he loves basil and cilantro and rosemary!

Elaine..... what are you calling a big pot? 8" 12" larger ?? The only basil I have ever attempted was last year (while he was home last spring) and I promptly killed it ! :(

Ripley, MS

I think the lemon balm grows quickly from seeds, I have had it in day's gone by, but can't really remember.

http://www.dianeseeds.com/lemon-balm.html

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 11:06 AM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

They also have it in all the nurseries around here. Feet and legs are what the mosquitoes attack around here. If he plans to be outside very much he will need LOTS of it! Also he needs to look around the yard for any standing water. Bird baths, containers,etc. He can put mosquito rings in those places and they are not harmful to birds etc. Mosquitoes are just a way of life here.

I must have typed the above on my ipad and auto-correct can come up with something entirely different that what you attended!!! Didn't even make any sense!

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 10:07 PM

Little Rock, AR

Charlotte, I am so sorry to hear the sad news. I knew something must be wrong when you didn't show up for Wildwood. My sympathies to Jeff. My thoughts with you too, as you have seen Jeff go through this with his father. It's not easy on anyone.

Regarding the basil: I have always grown it in a pot with other herbs. It does like some afternoon shade though. I was even able to grow it in bright indirect sun when I lived in my townhome.

Hi Karen!!!!! Keep chopping those snakes.

Genna, my basil always gets very tall, so I put it in a 10-12" pot.

There is another plant, citronella, that is supposed to repel mosquitos. I tried a couple once, but I don't think they did any good. I think the candles would probably work as well as anything if you were having a party but spraying the yard ahead of time would work best.

Hi Sarah!!

My dad is always lecturing me about the 'good' snakes and I keep telling him in my yard the only 'good' snake is a DEAD snake. If they want to live in harmony - or even out of harmony with me they better not let me see 'em!! I use to be terrified of them - now I just get irritated because I always have to walk a mile to find something to chop off their darn heads with:) I still don't like even seeing them but years ago if I saw one across the yard I was done for the day I just couldn't get past it - I think it was like that therapy for anxiety/panic where they expose you to whatever you are afraid of and then you get past it. Seeing them every spring and chopping off their heads has helped me get past the fear.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I had a plant years ago before I ever joined DG that was advertised to keep mosquitoes away. It was a lemony-smelling plant and I really liked the fragrance. I learned the hard way, however, that it made millions of babies which would quite literally take over your flower bed. I wish I could remember the name of it--it might have been that lemon balm but I'm not sure.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Charlotte I am soooo sorry about Jeff's dad. Funny you said that about only children, I'm an only child and know quite a few others, the stereotype of only children is horrible and it's not true at all.

Genna I just went to Wal Mart and bought a Chia Herb Garden, it has complete instructions lol

I just use the candles to keep mosquitoes away.

I'm with you on the snakes Karen, even though I do let the non poisonous ones live sometimes.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Well I had a wonderful day with Jeri and Jim's niece Mary and Busybee Mary. Dolly Cannagirl met us long enough to get plants and visit for a short time. We bought lots of stuff naturally. I am afraid my eyes have overloaded my butt again. LOL I bought a lot of pot stuff and annuals so hopefully I won't be digging but 3 or 4 big holes. I bought some Pink Muhly Grass , 2 bottle brush trees, 1 red yucca, and 1 dogwood tree that will require digging the bigger holes. We all bought a Chenille plant hanging basket(beautiful) and Jeri and I bought a unique portulactica hanging basket. I also bought some ferns for my shaded areas.I got some Osteospermum Zion Copper Amethyst to add some color to my beds this summer. the picture on line just does not do it justice. I couldn't find that special petunia anywhere we got at Rita's a couple years ago that was green and pink. I'm tired and headed to soak. Hope to get a photo of my stash tomorrow. Wish you all could have been there to defend yourself while we talked about you. Just kidding did miss y"all though.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.