What's Happening in your neck of the woods...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Melanie my DIL Just called with an update on Greg..after travelling along with winter storm for over 1,000 miles, missing the ferry they were to have taken, having the rest of the ferries cancelled due to storms, being late for rendezvous with racing team finally they were able to load truck with Greg's snowmobile...oh/oh. Big truck comes on ferry, loses control smashes into them, Greg's machine gets hit, goes through the cab of the truck..couldn't detain the ferry so now when they reach the mainland of Newfoundland it's to the police station to report accident and not sure if Greg's machine is driveable and truck needs repair...I'm almost afraid for him to at some post get not the mountains snowmobiling, either with his machine or a rental..something g is telling my kid not to go snowmobiling..kind of comedy of error except its not funny! He was sooo looking forward to this trip, feel so badly for him.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Poor Greg.......... well, at least he's well, and unhurt!!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Wow Betty .. Greg should have come northwest! The skidoo fanatics here are in their glory, that's if they can shovel themselves OUT of their driveways !!
I got up at 1:30am to check out the woodstove and 'conditions' .. good grief .. ended up going out to at least make a path or two for the dogs .. I'll take some pics in the morning.
Can well imagine there will be no school.
Sure hope once Greg gets to Nfld he re thinks his adventure, eats lobster and comes back!!

Am totally wound up now, think I'll grab my book and read a few chapters ..

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Mornimg all..no snow here, actually kind of mild..

Guess "M" you are getting winter all in one swoop..no fun having hubby away though. Look at the time, you really are up early..will make a long day for you.

Waving to all!!

As promised, a few pics .. and now that I see we can load 5 at a time .. all I'll say is it's ALL self explanatory !!
Bones and muscles are aching like mad, AND, we are to get 18cm MORE over the next 2 days .. HELP !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Yikes, now that is some snowfall you had! Ours is melting as quick as it is falling..calling for rain possibly tomorrow. Just hoping not freezing rain

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh no!! not More Snow?!?!?! Marilyn - it's enough, k?!?!?!?!?!

Rassling with the big snowblower is NO fun, dang thing has a mind of its own fer sure. I tend to like the smaller one ... it may not throw the snow as far, but it is much more user friendly.

Apparently a Colorado Low is headed our way .. all the radio and TV stations are pushing the panic buttons .. we have enough of everything and don't need to go anywhere .. just hate I had to cancel my physio .. but. I'm getting lots of exercise !!!

Betty, I'll take snow over freezing rain ANYTIME ^_^

Off to watch Coronation Street !!

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Calling for Colorado low here as well, doesnt give specifics as to areas though...no you don't need more right now. I'm amazed you can handle the big snowblower. I nought one 3 rears ago, haven't used it in 2...was really a waste of $$$

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Corrie - that reminds me - my sisters Alice & Evelyn will be meeting former cast members of Corrie, in March, in Winnipeg.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all..

Storm missed me..oops did I stay that? Day is not over is it

If its in your neck of the woods please stay safe!

Hiya .. and welcome to the RE BIRTH of Spring .. the labour pains here in North Western Ontario are pretty much unpredictable .. snow one day, freezing rain the next, but, if we can just get through this month, I would imagine we'll be overjoyed with the birth of a new season .. POLLYANNA strikes again LoL

Not much happening here .. bits and bats of snow .. headed for town today .. I have an irritating dry cough that seems to enjoy my attempts at sleep. I close my eyes and am just drifting off, and, 'tickle tickle, wake up Marilynne, time to cough for 15 minutes !! As much as I dislike 'cough syrups' I think I am going to have to purchase one so that I can get some sleep !!

Susan ..I wonder which Corrie stars Alice and Evelyn are seeing .. would be nice to see some pics.
One of my colleagues. a REAL Corrie afficiando, has been to the set in England and to a get together in Nova Scotia where she met, and had a pint with, several of the cast .. don't know why, but I do enjoy the series :-)

Should get a bustle on ..

Have a safe weekend

~M~

PS .. Betty .. how did Greg make out ?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Everything here is melting "m', you just don't know how to dress and what weather will be like from hour to hour! You sure haven't had an easy time of it health wise this winter...no wonder you are looking forward to spring.

Greg finally is enjoying snowmobiling in the mountains of Newfoundland. Thank goodness..now am hoping weather will be nice for his travels home tomorrow..he'll be one tired guy! As a mom I'll feel better having him closer to home.

May I say .. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTY !!

Hope this year, as it unfolds, is one of the BEST ever ^_^

Hugs and Happiness

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Thank you "M"' it has been a good day!

Managed to get a stained glass piece for front window done, now if I can find 2 hooks up she'll go..2nd piece for same window, can't make up my mind which will stay..I'll post once hung and get your thoughts...

Off to make a call

I am almost positive BOTH pieces will be beautiful Betty .. Do you have TWO windows in which to hang them LoL
I'm some help huh ?

We have had a steady fine snowfall all day .. you think it isn't accumulating, then you go outside and there's about an inch on the patio .. will be glad to see the end of it.

There's a World Class XCountry ski 'Loppet' being held here in TBay this weekend. It's about 35K or more of Xcountry skiing mixed with a bit of searching for 'items' .. almost like a marathon on skis. The sponsors are so happy to have all this snow ^_^

Making a pizza for supper .. best get on it ..

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty
Many happy returns!!! Have a super day.
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy Birthday Betty!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ - will have to see which Corrie cast she's meeting. I told her I want some pictures :-)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, thanks for birthday wishes, did have a wonderful day!

All you all getting this horrific wind? Yikes, enough to blow you away..we are blessed though, USA sure is being hit hard..prayers going their way...

Nightmares all night long, at 4 am thought maybe it would be best to get up but fell asleep, back into bad dreams, sure glad that night is over. Will have to take a nap at some point.

Finished my stained glass window yesterday, need to put feet on jewelery box this morning then it's done and weathe as it is might get to finish the king size Christmas quilt I'm doing for SIL then I can strike 3 things of my to do lst.

Not getting too excited as there are more than a dozen more slated to be finished.

Now what exciting things will you all be doing?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Spent yesterday at our rescue booth at a 3 day dog show.Rather disappointing for the organisers - entries very low this year, probably because there are too many shows - many of the big sheltie breeders for instance are in Florida at USA sheltie nationals. Many classes only 1-2 dogs- they will probably lose money this year. It is a nice group, they do two indoor shows a year., always have two free spots for rescues. This year they put us right at the front as people walk in the door! Not a lot of business of course as it was a weekday, general public will come on the weekend but we did sell a few beds and raffle tickets.

Betty ever hear of a Barbet - one in the show - had to look it up when I came home - French water dog - never heard of it before. There were 18 gorgeous Golden Retrievers but most of the other classes were really small. I was talking with a lady with a Lab Retriever who has shown and done well at Westminster.He was home for the winter and going back down to the Maryland to his handler next month to work him out of his `couch potato`mode and get ready for showing!

This week is my `break`week- no chemo, finished 4th cycle,two to go. Hope the long break will give my cold a chance to really clear up and the back of my right hand ( which is the one we use for chemo IV) is very red and sore although improving- have to ask the nurses to use a different spot next time - I think they used two veins too close two weeks in a row.Was thinking I should call in to ask about it but this morning it is looking better so will not bother - a nuisance on the weekend as you have to get the oncologist on call paged and I don`t like to do that unless really necessary.

Looks like a nice weekend here weather wise but I see the Brier is on TV so guess what I will be doing!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi everyone.
Just waiting for the Shaw guy, we have changed our home phone for a Shaw one. Got tired of Telus not listening. Now they are phoning to give us a deal! After I gave them notice that we are switching. Go figure.
Nice weather here too Carol, look after your hand, hope your cold goes away for good.

My sister has a friend who has a friend in Calgary who is an artist. Her name is J.A. Mack and I just love her work. She is going to have a show of originals at my sisters place at the end of April. I think I will celebrate getting my early retirement money in June and spend it ahead of time. Just might buy an original as so many of the colors Jennifer uses are ones that I am drawn< insert joke about artist> to.
She does have a website so her older work is on there but she will have some new stuff at my sisters.

Some of my overwintered Canna's and Begonia's are starting to pop up so I have to keep some lights on. and I think I will start some of the slower growing seeds this weekend. I know I have been saying I will start them but I have been procrastinating.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Watch out girls, think they said this front is heading west.

Just got in from stained glass studio, what a drive, wind was almost picking up my vehicle..held on so tightly that my fingers were numb..now all prickly! Got home and the neighbors shed was picked up and thrown into a tree..looks wedged, am hoping they will not cut it down..on their property but mostly overhangs my pond..a few feet more and I would be minus a gazebo..drats, could have gotten a new one. Lol

Carol, I haven't heard of the breed..so many new breeds now, what was it, 11 accepted into Westminster competition!! Just like craft shows, there are so many that few attend, they become same ole/same ole.. You should call with your concers carol, I'm sure they want to put your worries at rest! Call now....

annabell does she have a website?? I'm with Rogers, called a few weeks ago, not p,eased with the bill, said cancel my services please, right away the put you through to a rep who says if you stay with them they will take 30% off the bill for a year because you are a great customer...I say, how come then you don't call me offering this discount, why offer it to entice newcomers, what is wrong with me...sooo cheaper bill for a year!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Ann/Betty - that's just the way the services work - threaten to leave, and suddenly they find they can budget you lower!!
We recently had a different Energy provider come to our door trying to entice us away with lock-in big deal. I stay loyal to our current cuz "better the devil you know...."

So many different breeds of dogs - I saw a Whippet with its owner yesterday. Bob thought it was a greyhound, but it was much smaller. Don't see many of them around. I just learned a new dog term today - Sighthound. Apparently greyhounds and those with similar body types track their prey by sight and speed rather than scent and endurance...... Learn something new every day, eh?!

Carol - hope the cold improves quickly. As for your hand - guess they would just use the other one for awhile? Or are the veins the same..... I know mine are almost invisible, so getting an IV is difficult - can't find the veins in my hands........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan no we cant use the other hand because I have Lymphedema in that arm so just do the blood work on that side. I will just have to be sure the nurses stay as far away as posible from the sites that were used last cycle but of course sometimes it just depends on where they can get in.

Whippets have been around for a long time- nice dogs. The Foothills Sighthound Club was the other 'rescue' group at the show with us. Betty apparently the Barbet is a very old breed in France but numbers are small. The wikipedia note ( dont know date) says less than 100 in North America.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh wow, can you imagine the cost of getting one??? wonder if they are high strung.

Susan, you finished with numbering books for the libary?

"M" which shall I pick, if any..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Oh my Betty .. as I said before .. BOTH are so pretty .. I really like the flower, but the colours in the one on the left are very appealing .. what does everyone else think. I'll say #1 ^_^

No wind here, just kind of a normal breeze .. but temps are cooler than the last few days.
Had about an inch or 2 to shovel this morning before we left on a jaunt into the city. MANY great deal at Can Tire, and, I bought 12 packages of seeds .. if you're into 'seedtapes' now is the time to buy them as they are plentiful.

The sister of my Aunt who just passed away, is now in hospital .. she is 96 and is confused PLUS she has pneumonia :-(
Found out this news just after getting home so will pop in to see her tomorrow sometime. Spoke to a cousin and we both think (we are both nurses) that she won't be going 'home' to her home this time.

Carol .. did anyone ever suggest you have a permanent access device initiated for your chemo and blood work. Either a PICC Line or a Hickman .. so much easier on the viens in your hands/arms

Time to figure out supper .. looks like leftovers .. works for me :-)

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

sorry to hear about your Aunt!! Guess now that her sister has passed on there is nothing for her to fight for..

Wind seems to have died down. Last hour, was snowing to beet the dickens..

Chilled, had a bath, decided to hand sew a few seems on the Christmas quilt, it's so heavy so I was nice and toasty under it while I stitched..one side to go..trying to decide if I've done enough today and should just lay down and read Frankie Flowers 150 fresh ideas for containers than Ann bought me yesterday and bring some stained glass magazines to browse through or give myself one more push and get the other side of the quilt done...couch looks mighty inviting..

Left over Greek salad and chicken souvlaki is ready to warm up..easy supper!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M No - I know lots of people have ports but I have no idea what the guidelines are- Maybe people who need more frequent and harsher chemo. Anyway my hand is looking pretty good already= redness and swelling has faded .

Betty are you picking one to keep - if so personally I would keep the one on the left.

Just made a trip to Safeway - needed some grapes - going to try tomato juice ( got one small can) and also some applesauce - those nice small containers.Also have been drinking chocolate milk. And got some salt and pepper wings for supper. Chicken goes down well!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - all finished #'ng, and have most of the books on shelves. Had 3 people besides Bob & I putting everything together. I had to leave at 3:30 to keep my haircutting app't, and then returned at 5:30 until 8pm and Still haven't put them all on the shelves - 800 or so items to put in numeric/alpha order, so will take awhile.

Carol - my sister Alice had a pic line - said it was ever-so-much easier. I don't know what the requirement was for it, but was in Manitoba so may be different. What's a Hickman?
Salt & Pepper chicken...... yummm!

~M~ - sorry to hear about your aunt's sister passing, and your aunt - at 96 maybe she figures she's tired........

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, wind has died down, clear out there but is bitter cold!

Am hoping same weather is in the east for Greg to make his trip back from Newfoundland...sure hope I didn't send it your way.

Nothing planned for today except sewing, life isn't too exciting today. Lol

Thanks for you choice..will put hooks up this morning, hand the more modern one and see if I like the thoughts of something in the window..

What do you have planned in your neck of the woods..won't be long spring will be here and we'll all be outside playing ..

Read a few chapters in Frankie Flowers container gardening book, I don't do well with containers but will try this year!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Snowed last night! March is actually our snowiest month.And last year, when I forgot to renew my snow clearing contract in April we had two huge storms! Fortunately I had neighbors who helped. Not making the same mistake this year. Just laid around yesterday watching the curling, plan to do the same today!

Except I have to wash some small carpets - having a problem with my senior cat who has stopped using his litter box( which is in the bathroom) . Fortunately usually he is peeing on the bathroom floor in a spot out of my way but I also discovered yesterday he has peed on a couple of small carpets on the landing and downstairs bathroom so need to get them cleaned up. Had him in to the vet a couple of weeks ago- blood and urine all normal so no idea what is causing him to do this - very frustrating. He is almost 16.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hung the stained glass of choice..nice and bright, l ikely nicer if the sun was beaming through..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

YEE HAW !!! And that is not a HAPPY 'yee haw', it's the kind of exclamation I made when I put the dogs out at 4 this morning !! I had wondered why the house was 'BANGING' .. COLD weather had returned, in spades, .. it was
-22C with a bit of a wind and boy did the dogs make it a quick jaunt !! Still cold .. so .. looks like a house work day.

Betty, I have a couple of those small suction cup stained glass pieces in a couple of windows, very pretty .. but. very much smaller than what you have made, I guess you'll have to give the piece a 'test run' to see if you like it, all I know is it's just awesome when the sun hits them and the refracted light spills onto the walls and floor ^_^

Carol .. if you are almost done this round, I doubt whether anoyone would suggest a PICC line or a Hickman .. but, if you needed any further treatment it sure would be a slick option. Lorna had a PICC line when she went through her ordeal in Wpg .. so much easier to monitor blood values, but, she had to have samples taken 2-3 times a day.
Good to hear your hand is feeling and looking better. Rule of thumb for IVs is, you go UP from the last site used.

Best feed the woodstove a log .. it's HUNGRY today ..

Stay warm all .. supposedly going to be +6C here on Tuesday !! Believe when I FEEL it !!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Our weather is much the same "M"' just starting to warm up now..by end of week could be wearing short/shorts...warm when sitting where the sun is beaming through..

Just put a turkey roast/dressing on again..if I wasn't so old I'd say I was pregnant and craving turkey. Lol. Love thos butterball rolls of pure white meat you get from Walmart..from freezer to oven to table..

Guess not just your wood stove is hungry ..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M yes I expect ports are for people needing lots of blood samples and chemo. My regime is blood and chemo once a week for 3 weeks and then a week off. I have two more cycles to go. Hand is still a bit swollen and red but much improved. I may call them tomorrow to see if in fact it is just a case a wait and it will get better or if there is anything to be done actively. Will ensure we stay away from that area next time!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, better to be safe than sorry! You must feel like a pin cushion?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just talked to the triage nurse, says most likely just leakage from IV site , take Ibuprofen and put heat on it. Forgot to ask if wet or cold! So it is dry heat and pills. Looks a bit better this morning - pink now not red!

Snowing all night, supposed to last for a few days, glad this is my off week!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad they have given you some input..

Please keep the snow, coldest day of the winter today, lordy everything frozen, was fretting, needed gas and gas station attendant could open it..took a bit.

By Wednesday they are calling for rain and almost 50..no wonder people are catching colds/flu

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - so glad it's getting better, and dry heat is good for everything, right? :-)

Yes, it's snowing - March is "coming in like a lion" so looking forward to "lamb"...........

Bob's birthday tomorrow - gotta figure out things to do with no $$.................

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.