CLOSED: 5th annual 3 B-House Swap

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi my name is Cindy (aka purpbutfly) and I am hosting a 3 B House Swap

Bats, Birds and Butterfly House
The swap is moving to Spring so there will not be one in August like there was last year. And I will have it at this time every year.

I am opening it February 20tht, and will take names until March 5th, then posts your buddy name and address on the March 6th. I would like to ask you all to mail your buddies house so that she may get it before the first day of Spring, March 20th. If you are not in the address exchange please dmail me your addy.

It does not have to be home made, it can be bought. If you want to make a homemade one it can be made out of ANYTHING,( old cowboy boots, cowboy hats, cans, gourds, you name it.) If a bird can get in it, it's a house, but bat houses and butterfly houses are a special type of house. I posted some links, that tell about bat and butterfly houses. Pictures alone do not qualify, but if you want to decorate with pictures that will work.

Anything goes so long as there is either Bat, Bird or Butterfly with a House, inside decoration or outside decoration. Here are some links to give you some ideas for your houses.

When signing up please specify what type of house you want

http://www.landsteward.org/page.cfm/10613

http://www.butterfly-gifts.com/bird-house.html

http://www.batconservation.org/content/Bathouseimportance.ht...

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/birdhouse.shtml

1) jab91864/Julie......Bathouse received from Tina

2) warriorswisdomkathy/Kathy........Birdhouse received from Kris

3) FLStu/ Stu.......Bat house received from Cindy

4) Tina_A/Tina......Butterfly House received from Fruity

5) Cville_Gardener/ Carole.......Eastern Bluebird house, but will be happy with any kind received from Kathy

6) ClanCampbell/Chris.......Birdhouse received from LK/taters55

7) rouxcrew/Joy........Any of the 3-B's received from Chris

8) FruitoftheVine/Susan.......Any of the 3-B's received from Nancy

9) taters55/LK....Birdhouse received from Stu

10) Mud_Elf/Kris..........Birdhouse or Butterfly received from Joy

11) purpbutfly/Cindy..........Birdhouse please ^_^ received from Julie

12) NF2932/Nancy... Butterfly house received from Bev

13) Sundownr/Bev...........any house will be fine! received from Carole

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by purpbutfly
Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Count me in!!

I would really prefer a bat house, it was on my list to add to the yard this spring. If that is not possible for my buddy I will take a bird or butterfly house.

~ Julie =0)

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Gotta Get back into this one Would love a Butterfly House As # 1 Choice But could also use a BlueBird . if that is easier :)))

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I want in too, so do my birdies in the yard, today 18+" of snow!!!! Today they're hiding in my blue spruce just outside my window, they are thanking whom ever for their brand new home, lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Cindy, as this swap is due AFTER my obligations to some quilting projects, I do plan on joining. I will be re-purposing for this swap.

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

I want to be in too. I don't care which one is sent although I would love a butterfly house to go with the butterfly garden I'm planting this year.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

This is an interest thread?? I'm interested. ^_^

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I better get in on this one too :) Maybe someday I'll actually have a place for my birdhouses LOL..

I'd like a birdhouse for outside, please :)

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I want in again too. I still have room left on my fenceposts around the yard for birdhouses. I would be happy with any of the three!

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Waving to everyone.

Now that's one cool looking birdhouse, Joy. Did you make it or find it?

Cindy, it doesn't matter to me which one of the three B's my buddy sends, will be happy with the one they choose.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

There is a guy who makes the neatest bird, bat and butterfly houses about 45 minutes from me. They are way over the money limit but all use old wood and details and last a long time. I have his butterfly house and several of his bird houses.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

I have listed the participants, but there are some that have not listed what they would like to have.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I would like an Eastern Bluebird house but I will be happy with any type. :)

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Add my name too please? I would like a birdhouse.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2012 12:35 PM

Add me to Please!! Would like birdhouse please.. Or maybe a butterfly house?? Hummmmmm

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Birdhouse please!!!! And Thankyou!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Geez Loiuse..... been trying to post for two days now. I would love a bat haouse, something that I've wanted for a few yrs now. If not available, an outdoor bird or butterfly house will be greatfully appreciated and used.

Hey, Elfie..I recognize that birdhouse :) I almost kept that one for myself..I just loved how rustic it is!

Heehee,,, Mine, mine, mine,,,lol

Aha...thought I recognized it too.

So far we've seen two waves of Robins, hundreds of them at a time flocked in our Cherry tree, along with several Cedar Waxwings we usually only see in January. Companions were a lone Red-Bellied woodpecker and several Cardinals. Some of our year-round residents are woodpeckers, Eastern Bluebirds, and Cardinals. Just yesterday I watched a pair of Bluebirds already making their nest in one of our boxes. I can't wait to hear the Phoebes and Carolina Wrens sing again.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2012 11:11 PM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

There are a number of robins in the backyard now and cardinals all over the place ... the bright red males colored-up preparing for mating season are stunning in the trees and on the ground when you look out the window. There are splashes of red everywhere! ♥♥♥

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

I've seen Bluebirds ,cardinals, chick-a-dees , wrens , crows, & I Have a red headed woodpecker also feeding on the suit cakes . My brother has 4 birdhouses all made . They need to be painted yet .

well off to play

If I knew that whoever is going to be my buddy for this swap is wanting a birdhouse- I almost bought 2 today! Such cute homes at a consignment shop called "Things On Douglas". I go there all the time cause they have very kitschy types of items (some consigned, but a lot are new!).
The problem is that a lot of these are one of a kind- so if you don't buy them when you see them, they will probably be gone the next time you go there lol.. it's happened to me before!

Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and grab those 2 houses anyway LOL

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Chris....... if you see it and it's special and at a good price, grab it or regret it. I have a 'gift' closet with my some-day-a-gift stash. It also comes in handy if i'm doing a house project. Don't hesitate to buy them and gift them to yourself if your buddy isn't a bird-house person. You live once.

I also buy future repurposed yard art stuff that eventually make it into projects. For example, recently bought a spring bed frame at an estate sale for $25 that will be going into the garden as a trellis. This is one made a few yrs back out of two adult and one child frames. I don't have arecent picture right now of the plantings that were put around it or the chinese wisteria that's now in it's second year on it (replacing a honeysuckle that prooved too invasive).

Thumbnail by FLStu

Stu, I love the idea of those bedsprings- the next time I'm on my other computer, I'll post a picture of what my late husband did with some 'repurposed' items.. it's so fun to figure out what it's going to become :)

You're right about grabbing or regretting lol.. I've done that before!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Love your bed springs project, FLStu. I've been on the lookout for some to make trellises like that for my new clematis, and I'm sure I'll find some when the weather warms and yard sales get going full speed again.

Meanwhile, I snagged these old treadle sewing machine drawers to turn into planters once the weather warms. Well, the weather hasn't really been very cold at all this year, but you know what I mean. I'm chomping at the bit to get going outdoors again. :)

Oh, how often I haven't grabbed things when I saw them. They are never there when I go back. ;-)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Cvlle. Consider saving the one with the good handle and back plate and maybe changing the borken handle out with a drawer with no back plate. The hardware is great. I use one in my family room for remote controls. They also can be great guest hand towel caddy's for cloth towels rolled and stood on end, or paper towels placed on end the long way down. They usually just need a bit of furnature polish to bring back their vintage glow.

I'm really thinking we need to talk Stu into hosting a Trash To Treasure swap for us ^_^

Wow, I love those!! Lucky you :) I've got to get going to garage sales, flea markets, etc again .. Once I have a home of my own with a YARD, I'll definitely start doing that.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's a good idea, FLStu. I have more ... and one that looks quite a bit better as-is. I do use it for storage in the kitchen or dining room sometimes. Also, I set it on the dining room table and fill it will potted plants for a centerpiece. They are so much fun. ♥

I hope you are in your new home soon, Chris. ^_^

Has anyone heard from Cindy lately??

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

She posted a few days ago on another thread, that she is taking care of her Mom.

Ohhh,, did not know her mom was sick. Hope she will be ok??

Hello Peepers, lol

I think I've finally got this thread up to date. Sure would like to get some more people to join. Please feel free to post this on other threads you're on ^_^

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Just a little bump up hoping some more folks will join in.

Picked up a butterfly house just in case I need it for my swap partner...lol. Being rural sometimes opportunity for things like that are limited.

Have a Great day!!

We live in the boonies too, Julie, and know what you mean about seizing an opportunity.

I have never had a Butterfly house.. Do thy really live in them??

Kris, i don't know if butterflies actually live in the houses....but when there is rain during sring and summer they need a place to go to keep dry (that's what I've heard anyways)

4 more days and you will have a name..........................

Cool!!

Winnetka, CA

Hi Cindy... I would love to participate. Can I join in?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

BF house I received from Fruity in this swap last year. I love it. ♥ It also came with a stake to get it higher off the ground and I'm going to attach that soon for this season. I saw my first bf here yesterday! This weather is really unusual.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.