What's happening in your neck of the woods .. 2012 :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Still pretty cold here but supposed to start warming up and above zero by the weekend! Of course I had to go to the hospital yesterday and today. My appt yesterday was early( blood) and then doc at 945. At 9Am they called me in because nobody else had showed up! So I was home before my appt time!
Driving was slow as roads tended to be rather slick but most people are being careful. Neighbor Marie took me today.

The dogs go out and come in again very quickly- they have not had a walk for about 2 weeks now -= tomorrow should be dog walker day but it is too cold and I know they will not want to go. Fortunately since they are senior dogs they are not complaining.

Tomorrow is a stay home day. My cleaner will be coming also and I have no appointments to keep!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yaaaaay for an early app't, stay-home day, and your cleaner coming lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Mornimg all, having a cold bitter day but you in the west know what that is all about!

I'm working from home today, not really what you can call work, maybe answer about 10 or so calls so will give me the opportunity to clean one more room (drawers/closet) and play in the craft room. Normally I take Fridays but we have signings Friday and I feel I should be there..

Wonderful Carol that your appts went well and you can just relax today..how did you make out at the dog show? We're they able to sell more beds on Sunday?

Susan, here's hoping you vehicle starts this morning and you have a sunshine day at work!!

"m" you feeling better?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'll have no trouble with my vehicle. Don't have to plug it in much, except for the bitterly cold days like we're having.
I just have to warm it up so it's comfortable for me to dive it lol I'm such a wuss! I'll be glad when it's brighter both going to and coming from work! So many accidents on the roadway, but yesterday it was "downed" cars sitting by the side of the road, with 4-way flashers on. SOMEBODY wasn't looking after their car!!

Sunshiny day possibly - only a few clouds............

Victoria Harbour, ON

Meant in your life Susan. Lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I knew what you meant, Betty - time will tell, time will tell..........

Victoria Harbour, ON

All the work lunnies must be having bad day..was working from home..about 12:30 got an e-mail from niece who works in another office, seems she was expecting a VERY/VERY/VERY IMPORTANT document, e-mail went on and on..I sent her an e-mail saying if it was that important I'd rush to the office...waited 10 minutes, no response, so, snowing, wind blowing, few white outs drove the hour to the office..no sooner got in did she call apologizing for me coming in..said she called the courts to have documents sent to her...shaking my head here..

Said why not switch the phones to her and go home...AS IF, by now I was aggravated enough that I said now that I am here, here I will stay...

WHAT is wrong with people..does nobody know how to work as a team..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

team? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sometimes NOT, Betty.........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The official temp seems to be about 020 but my thermometer on the north side of the house is reading -16!
On our way here!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Yep the thermostat was turned down at work this afternoon so it must be warming up.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Stormy here, already for bed..taking hot chocolate with me..great loss to Canada shi team having Sarah Burke succumb to her injuries..believe originally a midland native!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Writing from bed on the tablet,excuse any mistakes!!

Leg is still pitching a fit perhaps it doesn't like -40C either!!

Am hopinhg for a miraculous recovery soon!

Toodles

M

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is not good "M", don't you be rushing, get comfy, get that hubby of yours and Lorna to spoil you like you've been spoiling them, play the patient and enjoy .. I have netflix on my tablet/solitaire/scrabble and crosswords..should be enough if you've a few on yours to keep you busy..bet those furries are snuggled up and enjoying the comfort of your bed..wow that is cold..slight storm passed in my neck of the woods, not a tremendous amount of snow, maybe a few inches at most but it was the wind causing havoc with whiteouts..

Came to work today and have been looking at the clock, another 3 hrs. and homeward bound. A stop at the stained glass studio, pick up of some thread and in for the weekend..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Still pretty col d here, better start warming up soon.Supposed to be above 0 on Sunday!

I was out this morning, had to have some stitches removed from a bit of facial surgery lastFriday, did a few errands and stopped at Safeway. Gentleman ahead of me moved away after paying but stood by the cashier with some bills in his hand and whispered to her, thought he wanted some change. After she totalled my bill I waited for the amount to come up for my debit card and in the mean time he handed her some money and some change came out. I said - you need to put it through for my card and she said no this gentleman just paid your bill! I was stunned! It was about $80!He was a total stranger. I had a hat on but probably it is fairly obvious I have no hair. What a nice thing to do!

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG, bless him..what a lovely thing for him to do!
There truly are some good people in this world..

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
How wonderful!! A small angel in that line up with you! All the kindness you have showed over time is coming back full circle , I'm so pleased to hear this, you have made my day!!!!!
Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow Carol - how nice is that!! I know there are some angels in Calgary, and so glad you got to "meet" one!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good morning. haven't checked in for a few days and what a story to read! Gives one renewed faith in humanity.

Victoria Harbour, ON

It is so ViolaAnn..don't come across them as often as we should..makes us want to go out and do something special as well.

How has Ottawa weather been? We'll soon have January behind us and I don't really find its been our good old Canadian winter

Oops furries want in

Checking in as well, and adding my 'WOW' re Carol's story.

Pretty much still unwell, and will hobble off to the oral surgeon tomorrow morning, an emergency booking as
my tooth has abcessed. Have drugs to take prior to appt, should be walking like a drunken seaman by ghe time we get there!!!

As always, fogive my spelling errors......using the new technology

M

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" not good situation..you haven't been well since beginning of the year...drats, not good!

did you get an i-pad? so have to check my posts, wow it finds new sentences out of what I type and some not the nicest...always afraid I'll get booted from DG with it's wording.

Rain/rain/rain..even some freezing rain earlier..now calling for snow.
So mild out there, out without a heavy coat..imagine!

2012 is not my year yet Betty ... but, lotsa days left :)

I have a Blackberry Playbook .. nice to uze while cofined to bed .. but oh my.. spelling suffers lol

15cm of snow here and still falling .. thank heavens we have snowblowers!!

ttfn

m

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A couple of weeks ago a friend who was a nurse in the clinic I worked in at CHEO in Ottawa called me - we have always kept in touch and she just read my Xmas letter that my cancer was back. She called to say she was going to ask Victorias quilts to give me a quilt. So I went on line to check this out - it is a group started in USA, now chapters all over North America and they make lap quilts for people with cancer.
This morning one of the Calgary volunteers delivered my quilt- it comes in a lovely bag so you can fold it up and take it with you wherever you need it. Isn't it lovely?

http://www.victoriasquiltscanada.com/

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 3:04 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
Hi
It looks fabulous, I love the colors and that your head scarf matches! I can see all the detail on the back with the swirly stiching. I don't know what the real name for that is but It looks like it was a lot of work. Beautiful.
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, omg how wonderful for you..you look so cozy..I believe they did random freehand quilting? So many organizations out there that do such much good..can't imagine how thrilled you must be. Looks a lot larger than a laptop, almost single size if not bigger!

Colors are also spectacular.. God bless them all!!

"m" spent many a night in bed or on the couch with iPad..so convenient . No snow here, actually it rained so much most of the snow in my yard is gone

Ann, you were sick, are you now back to your norm?

Waving to all

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty the quilting is obviously done by machine and I suspect it is a machine that has quilting patterns programmed. Here is a look at the edge quilting. Dont think it is random freehand at all

There is a sort of wave pattern quilted across the patchwork squares. Everything is cotton so it can be washed. I am told they are all a specific size so even though bigger than a lap quilt they are big enough to cover if you are having chemo in a bed for instance.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 5:18 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Beautiful, probably have someone with a large quilter..at christmasmi bought a series of different quilting templates to mark quilts for quilting..done with feed dogs down following the markings..just a treasure..you must be flying high with so many wonderful deeds coming your way..well deserved for all the good you do with rescue group..just know you are cuddled in, big smile, feeling all the love in each stitch.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - that is gorgeous! How wonderful that people are looking out for you! I'm sure it's giving you a "warm fuzzy", not to mention that you're cuddly in that quilt! Beautiful colours, too!!!!!!

Beautiful quilt Carol, and the perfect seasonto receive it in :)

Survived the 2 extractions, but, it was surely NOT a walk i the park!! Seems nitrous oxide has NO effect on me,
they tried and tried and I eventually just took the freezing and prayed hard!!
Suffice to say i am a hurting unit, but have morphine to console me..

Night, night

M

Victoria Harbour, ON

"ouch M". Yikes, sure sounds painful to me..add that to everything else you have going on and....drats, nothing to smile about, even if you could!

Morphine, that is big time drugs...you will surely sleep tonight.

Darlene called me today..sold Mike's truck..difficult..know she's going on adrenaline and shock..I feel so badly for her!

Time for bed, here I'm praying for a snow day tomorrow..just don't want to go to work..it's been headache city.. Held my head most of the day..yuk

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I agree - "ouch"!!

A tad better today ..rushing it i guess, but, i'm so not liking being in bed. I get up every hour or so and do something, albeit slowly ... very ligjtheaded. Noticed my blood pressure on the monitor yesterday never went off
112/60 !Lower than normal for me, and as i,m o blood pressure meds, I may have to sort that out!

Crisp cool day here .. sadly a young 9 year old girlpassed away from injuries sustained in a car crash on the weekend. Her 7 year old sister is still critical, Mom is ok, as is another sibling.

Life is never fair it seems

M

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oooooooooh so sad, Marilyn......

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hope you are feeling better soon Marilyn! Tooth work is never fun no matter what it is.

Chemo day for me, getting to be pretty routine. One more chemo in this cycle and it will e half way. CT scan next week to see what is happening inside!

Warm and windy here.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just a touch of snow overnight, cold, not so sure it's the dampness more than bitter cold that is getting to me!

"m". Here is hoping that you get a bit of relief today from the pain..

Carol, is the weather co operating for your neck of the woods for travelling for treatment? You will be glad to see these treatments behind you...are you going alone or will your neighbor drive you?

Looking at the time, must run

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

"M" is your mouth feeling any better today? Hard to eat when your mouth hurts.

Carol Warmish and windy here too. I hope the skiff of snow we have lasts through this weather as I think the plants will have a tough time otherwise. When you are at Chemo do you see some regulars and do you visit? Hope you are still getting rides so at least that stress of driving there and back is removed. I guess this will be Hump day for you.

Checked on my stored Canna's and the one I left in a pot,(in my neighbors cold room in the basement) has sprouted! Yikes that means I will have to haul it home and get the lights going. The other chunks seem to be nice and heavy yet so they can stay there for a bit. Have one saved Begonia started and are eagerly watching the others.

Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty and Ann never drive myself to chemo- have a group of neighbors who share the transport and we arrange it all ahead of time. Have to think about a thank you for them when this is done ( probably end of April) Last year I took a group to brunch at Loughead House. When the weather was so bad last week we allowed lots of time. I drive my self the one day each cycle I go up for blood and a visit with the oncologist but as it is usually during rush hour I have a reverse route I use and it works nicely And even with the really cold weather people were driving sensibly ( mainly)-I don't have a garage so I just keep the car plugged in and allow extra time. I could of course drive myself to chemo but then would have of course to pay for 3-4 hours parking every time.

Ann yes I am wondering how the plants will do- there was not a lot of snow protection during that cold spell. My 'new; hosta bed I started 3 years ago lost all the snow and leaves I had careful put there Had no reasonable way to put more snow on it unless shifting from the one end of the yard to another!I always figure on losing on few plants with no snow cover . Am starting to thing about the indoor light garden/ Want to try begonias again but I started them too early last year and will order some plugs from Garden Retreat to use in the post as they are plants not available as seed yet ( mainly Calibochoa)
But I have to admit I am not yet feeling excited about it!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - I've never heard of Garden Retreat - are they online only, or is there a store in Calgary/close by?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Imagine, you are all thinking 'spring'..

Looked out at the gardens this morning and saw something I've not seen before...grass/gardens/garden art..yikes, no snow..great for me but not good for winter enthusiasts, including my boys!!!

Maybe one day next week I'll take a run to the Garden Gallery and walk during my lunch and get the feel of spring..it's so beautiful there!

Thoughts of Spring ;) Automatically makes me feel better !!
,Still having lotsa down time, but, am pushing myself for more UP time!

Good to hear your organized re transport to your chemo Carol, puts a mind at ease.

Mild temps here, record setting!!

Off to shower

M

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.