What's happening in your neck of the woods .. 2012 :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I have finished sewing dog beds. I do have more cut but without polyfill but the fund raiser is this weekend so I am done, took down the sewing machine, returned the kitchen table to normal ( and in the process finally took most of the indoor Xmas decorations down to the basement.

We will be having another fundraiser early March so if necessary can sew some more beds after we see how much we sell this weekend. I always have lots of fabric.

Tomorrow having a bit of surgery on my face ( temple) where I had a basal cell carcinoma removed in the fall, this is just to get a bigger clean margin. And next week starts my 3rd chemo cycle.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Sitting up for a bit here .. my hip is pitchin a fit STILL .. am married to ice packs ~~

Carol .. would love a bed, and may take you up on that closer to the spring. Right now we have 4 on th go, but one is looking mighty 'tatty' !!

Weather has returned to the normal January chill .. that north wind is awful.

Back to bed :-(

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" maybe that walk you did didn't help??? best rest now in hopes that the pain will quickly subside.

Carol, you put so much effort out, sure hope they all sell but then that would mean you'd be back to sewing again..but, you must enjoy it as it's a project you often undertake..may I ask what the charge is? Your procedure isn't something you have to spend a night in the hospital is it? How many more rounds of chemo do you have..

well, just a light mist of snow..if we were going to get a storm it's pass us by...I am working from home tomorrow, NOT taking chances that it's stormy and I have to drive in..actually I might work on the Christmas quilt and see how far I get with it..promising myself I'm NOT going to get dressed all weekend..wonder if that is possible?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty we charge from 20-45 dollars for the beds depending on the size. We make them with fleece on one side and denim or cord on the other. They are pretty simple really and easy to make- actually the cutting and pinning the layers is what takes the time so I do it like a production line. There are two other volunteers who sew but I get them all cut and pinned and ready to sew for them. I store all the fabric and have a large craft table in the basement so it is convenient for me to do it.
Last year we made $700.00 at this agility trial fund raiser( all the profits go to rescues)

No my procedure will just be a few hours at a dermatology surgical centre. They slice off a VERY thin layer and check the pathology, then take another layer and check pathology again etc. etc. So how long it takes depends on how much they have to remove.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - sounds painful, but I suppose they give you a local......

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

'M' better take care of the hip or gardening may take a hit.
Betty, Christmas ...... didn't we just finnish that? You are way ahead of me that's for sure.
Carol the beds look like they are what work best, easy to move and I bet they fit in the washer too. Better take a book and a snack/drink if you are going to be there for a bit. My mom and sister said it was the longest wait ever! Is someone going to drive you?

We have gotten colder here and it seems that we are finally getting a winter minute. It's getting lighter for longer periods so it makes the days better here.

I think I will soak my saved Geraniums to see what has made the winter, might get out the begonias too.
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan yes a local anaesthetic.
Ann they even suggest you bring a lunch!

Hiya ..
Up way early this morning to take my son Murray to hosp for a scope (tummy) had forgotten what eary morning rush hour traffic was like!
All went well and i had him home by 11.
The hour wait to get called into the surgical daycare suite was the longest, the procedure took 15 minutes.

Babying my hip for a bit, it didn,t much like all rhe walking again today,

Supposedly getting snow overnight, sure has cooled off!

Hope your appt went well Carol.

TTFN

M

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My little surgery went well, I was there at 730 and all stitched up by 930 although had to wait another 30 minutes for the doc to check the last slide. It is aching a bit now so I will take a Tylenol. Have a huge dressing on ( mostly for pressure I assume) , take it off tomorrow and then just small dressings for 3 days, then open air and stitches out next Friday.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - as it's on your temple, I imagine it would hurt to eat? I hope it's healing well.

my DH got some bad news today - go figure..... it's Friday the 13th...
He got let go from his new job, at 2:30 today. He's only worked there for just over a month, but one of the bosses (Nicole) doesn't like Bob. Nicole's boss likes my Bob, and he said if something changes and she's no longer there, then my Bob will get his job back. However, she's been there for 5 years and I don't suppose she'll be leaving the company.......
Last May, on Friday the 13th is when Bob lost his last job.......

I got some "possible" good news today....... the head guy in Calgary, John, came to tell me that it's been approved by Montreal to have my position become perm, now it's Washington's and then Paris' decision. If either of them don't want it perm, it will stay temp for awhile longer, As John said "it's stuck in Washington now". The decision is to be made by Feb 10th.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, brrrr. We are in deep freeze this morning, thinking if going to town but sitting herein Jammie's I'm not feeling that energetic, I could so just stay in Jammie's.

Worked from home yesterday, got on a cleaning frenzie..managed to do closets, drawers (purging) feels great to open a drawer and seeing everything ironed, folded and in order. With not feeling well over the holidays I did not finish Sil's afghan, managed to to that yesterday so could drop it off if I go to town. Then Santa quietly all evening and pinned rows of blocks for rag quilt so got much accomplished..should force myself to brave the cold as furries have to eat and I'll not be able to play with sewing unless I buy thread..drats to a kittie who oee'd in my sewing basket..not cheap to replace all the thread.

Alberta Ann, why must you wash your geraniums?? I keep mine but set them in the laundry room where it's cooler and dark?

"m" hope you are. Behaving yourself, could it be from the walk you did the other day?

Susan, I'm just sick thinking that someone who also has to work for a living could be so cruel as to have someone lose their job..here is hoping he finds a better job and you get full tme employment.

Carol,glad the procedure went off without a hitch. Got to tell you that is a reasonable price for the beds...my sister does rescue for American Eskimos, maybe I should tell her about how you make funds then perhaps I better not seeing as I'd likely be the one dong them. Lol

Well, must get a move on if I want to get to and back from town before the masses

Bit worried seeing as I did not notice gas gauge was at empty and the light came on..doubt I can warm her up before heading out..never do that..guess mind was somewhere else..should dress warm incase I have to walk. Lol

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty
I soak them because I have just the plant and it's roots so to spark it back to growing I bring it into the light and soak the roots. I knock off the dried leaves and pot up the plants after 24 hrs of soaking. I do it this was so as not to bring in bugs that will drive me nuts. When I took all the soil off last fall I swished the greenery in a bucket of soapy water then let them dry in the sun before I brought them in.
They look fairly sad all dried up however the stems are firm so most of them will send out new leaves when brought out again.

Susan sorry to hear about Bob's Job! I did hear that lots of jobs are coming about soon for the spring so will look forward to hearing that Bob is back to work.
Alberta Ann

Gawd, the 'ups and downs' of a Friday the 13th !! Bob's job loss almost smacks of 'nepotism' .. I know from experience that nepotism runs rampant in hospital settings, very distressing for people who are very qualified trying to get ahead but being past over for someones sister/brother et al ..
I sure hope Bob finds employment .. as Alb Ann says, Spring usually brings about many job opportunities.

Glad your procedure went well Carol ..

PURGING .. well Betty, that should be my MIDDLE name, but, as I have said in the forum before, MY middle name is PROCRASTINATION !! Glad you organized and I do hope you can replace all the thread, it'd be the colours I'd miss ..

Am about 30% better in the hip dept .. the walk was no doubt a catalyst that set me back a bit, but, wouldn't have missed it for the world !!

Family brunch at DSinL tomorrow, should get busy and go into town and pick up some sausage rolls from a local bakery. But, hydro has me entrenched in LAUNDRY WEEKENDS !! Have load 3 on now ..

COLD here, but, sunny ^_^

Enjoy your day

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ - glad you went on the walk for Lorna, anyway - also glad your hip is on the mend.

Bob's previous job was lost because of nepotism...... on Friday 13th of May, so if that's what happened in this job, it seems appropriate that it was also Friday the 13th........
Anyway, he's going to apply to an industrial temp company (branch of the temp agency I'm at my job with) on Monday.
He may also apply at Lowe's or Home Depot (both in our neighbourhood). Who knows - a temp position can become a perm one, right?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all, almost time to call it a day..near finished a rag quilt, likely 2 hours left to that and short 8 blocks for a Christmas king size quilt top..it has been one of those days, sew/sew/sew and everything goes perfect..almost want to continue but noooo tomorrow is another day.. So funny, my sister called, my mom dropped n and Sharon is finishing putting rows together to her rag quilt..here we are gabbing and in the backgrou d she could hear me sew and I her..lol now that is a bit obsessive!

I'd be marking all the Friday the 13th Susan and staying n bed that day..still very. Fair.

"m" hoping tomorrow you will be more mobile and no pain for your outing. As for purging tomorrow I'd like to go through bedroom #2, just find that with making Christmas pressies since October I've left the dusting and corner cleaning , now it's catch up time before garden time.

Carol, didn't know you could wash roots, thought only requirement was to bring inside before freezing!

Think I'm due a treat. Then off to bed..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan I understand there are two more Friday 13 this year - better mark them!

Most of the day out at the agility rescue trial, I think we probably sold about $ 400 or more worth of beds
( that's actually not many beds) and still tomorrow, lots of people check out the beds and prices on Saturday and come prepared to buy on Sunday. I have not been at a trial for over 2 years - could not go last year as I was not long out of the hospital - so it was nice to see a lot of old friends and aquaintences.

Weather supposed to start deteriorating tonight and winter arrives tomorrow - they are predicting day time highs of low -20's plus snow. I filled up with gas this morning before I went out to the trial and got milk on the way home so supplies are fine. Of course this week Tuesday I have to go to the cancer clinic and Wed is chemo! I will see if somebody other than my 89 year old neighbor can drive me up there - would rather she stayed off the road! I have a couple of other options.

Susan eating is no problem - the incision is rather high but it is very itchy I think from the tape and I am supposed to keep it covered for two more days!I just now took off the dressing and redid it with less tape since I am home in a relatively clean environment.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Must. Have been a long day for you Carol, you'll sleep well tonight! Maybe you will break your previous record of $700 ..hope you do.

Bitter cold here today, don't think they are calling for much snow this week, maupybe it's going directly your way..let's hope clear weather for you're chemo

Yawning away..Dave iPad in bed, will do a few crosswords which will surely put me to sleep!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

**Marking the calendar**

Itchy means healing, Carol - so that's good!

After service tomorrow am will be filling up the car - too lazy today. Bob & I just took a "down" day. Don't feel like doing much. Started out with a terrible plugged sinus and Boy did it HURT. I don't think I've ever had such a painful plugged sinus. Took some ColdFx (look-alike version) and it sure worked! I feel "human" again.
hmmmmm Bob's vacuuming - one way to forget how he's feeling........ well, it was only a month, so he didn't get TOO attached to the company....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes but in this case it is almost certainly the tape ( because of the location. ) I just now took off the tape they gave me and put a couple of band aids there instead and it feels much better!

I'd like to go to bed but don[t dare since it is only 830 and I would sleep 2-3 hours and then be awake and take ages to go back to sleep! I took a sleeping pill last night, don't want to do it again!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, smart thinking .. I should have stayed up a bit later, here I am at 2 in the morning watching a movie, wide awake..drats, almost tempted to get up..doesn't take long to get days and nights mixed up..you could be allergic to the tape.

Susan, hope by morning you are feeling better..poor Bob, I'm sure he is in shock.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well in the end managed to stay awake until almost 11PM! Thanks to the old TV!

Using bandages instead of the tape and the itching disappeared. Odd because i have never been allergic to any tape, maybe the chemo has changed a few things!

Started to snow last evening, everything is white and still snowing. Glad I went to the agility trial yesterday and don't have to go today!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sometimes body chemistry changes, I was never allergic to penicillin until several years ago. Will the others man the booth for sale of beds?

No snow here, my boys sure are disappointed, especially Kyle who just bought a snowmobile and everything he got for Christmas pertained to snowballing..not a happy camper..back to sewing, 4 more rows to sew and rag quilt is done..it's what one would call, coat of many colors seeing as I used up scraps but warm it will be.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Been busy playing concerts and managing the ticket sales. That's over now. If Fabricland calls me about anything, I tell them where to go. I do not like ANY business to call me unless I ask them to do so.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - I gather you're not going out today? We Just Got Winter, eh? lol
Do you have a snow angel to clear the driveway, etc? It's a windchill of -30c now......... with the base of -18c.
not going to get warmer until Saturday Jan 21st............ brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Good thing it will clear up then - it's the night of our Robbie Burns dinner - 6pm. Carol, are you interested in attending? Tickets are $18 each.
We'll have roast beef, turnips and potatoes, haggis, oat cakes, fruit cobbler, trifle, and for Entertainment we have 2 pipers, highland dancers, a harpist, and a celtic choir. Our own choir will also be having a sing-along of songs made popular by Robbie Burns.

Victoria Harbour, ON

ViolaAnn, when you purchase a membership they ask if you would like their flyers /emails/calls when big sale is on..I so would have taken advantage of the 1 day sale but didn't want to drive all the way to Barrie!

You will be glad to have a rest, am sure a lot of energy is used up even for ticket sales..easy part might be playing?

Susan you make it sound good enough for me to buy a ticket.

Managed to burn supper..drats, glad no company is coming..I just had to go downstairs and finish sewing a block together...shaking my head here as I know better

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I hired a company last year to do the front sidewalks - so at least it gets cleared once every 24 hours. Found a small company last year that was not too expensive.
I usually do some in the back since I park the car there and have a neighbor with a snowblower who also clears walks and driveways in the back lane for some of us who are getting on in years.

Thanks Susan - no thanks, I avoid large gatherings whenever possible.

Bandages over incision also started to itch this morning so I am just putting a small dressing on top of the polysporan which holds it in place. My nurse friend who clips the cats nails came over this morning and told me it was OK to do that - she was an infection control nurse for 25 years so I trust her judgement in things like that.

To say i am 'sufficiently suffonsified' is saying the least !!
My sister in law put on a most wonderful spread for brunch/lunch/afternoon munch LoL
Was a great time, just always find it kind of stressy when there are young children under foot.

So Calgary got winter .. am wondering if it'll continue east .. keep hearing it will .. nice and mild here today .. wish I could have walked the dogs, but Gord did .. my hip is still grousing :-(

BUSY upcoming week ... bed early fer sure tonight, just hope I am not up at 2am AGAIN !!!!

Take care everyone

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

hahahaha Betty - rest assured, we don't burn the dinner on Burn's night LOL

Carol - I seem to recall last year that you said the same thing, and obviously I'd forgotten lol Ah well, my memory..............

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is as much a medical issue as anything else Susan - I avoid crowds where I might pick up an infection. I do go out shopping - Safeway etc but not to places where I have a lot of close contact with others -I even have signs on the doors that ask people not to visit if they have a cold or other infection. Last year I was not that long out of hospital and still too weak to tolerate visiting for more than 15-20 minutes even when they came to my house!

M I think we are going to keep winter here most of the week so it may not come your way soon!

A neighbor, whose husband does all the cooking, brought me a big slice of meatloaf with gravy for supper. Mmmmmm!

Lorna is the same as far as going out in large groups , or, being around someone with a 'catchy' health issue. She has no spleen and that, paired with her blood disorder, makes getting 'something' a double whammie.
She takes vitamins and ALWAYS has hand sanitizer in her pocket, and she is a religious hand washer.

MEAT LOAF .. now there's something I haven't made in awhile!! I bet it was good ^_^
Am making a casserole I got a recipe for yesterday .. have to pick up the fixins today.

We have WIND today, from the west, but, mild temps .. haven't heard a forecast as of yet,

Kinda chuckled when I read about you burning your supper Betty .. with me, it's burning the tea towels !!! We have had this gas range for 2 years, and I STILL haven't given it the respect it deserves !!

Hobbling on !!

~M~

Last pic .. this is Lorna and myself and the wchair athlete I transferred Rick Hansen's silver medal to .. quite the wonderful young man.

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

So glad you were able to do the run "M" !

Just thinking this morning as I pulled out the yard, we are already mid January and really NO winter..before long we'll be thinking gardening. News this morning said this is blue MONDAY, saddest day of the year..ok, I was feeling fine before I heard what day it was.

Not sure what is going on with my body, not feeling the cold at all..must have different body chemicals warming me up

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well the weather reports say it was /is -30 with wind chill -40! And of course today I had to be up at the cancer clinic for blood work at 815 and see doc at 945. I left the car plugged in all night( no garage) - I dont have a timer for the block heater ( well I do but never set it up) as I had to leave about 845. Car started fine. I take a route against the rush hour traffic which was just as well this morning but people were driving carefully and slower than normal. So I was finished the blood work and waiting /reading - I always take a book - at the clinic by 845 and the nurse called me in at 9! Nobody else had shown up ! So I was on my way home before my appt time.

Chemo tomorrow,. a neighbor will drive me and I dont have to be there quite so early.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

it's really brrrrrrrrrrrrrr today, Carol
What time do you have to be at Chemo tomorrow? So good of your neighbour to drive you!
Driving this am was dicey - slippery even on the Deerfoot for a few blocks' distance.......

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Just a quick scan through to catch up.

Susan, and all the rest of you - read an article in an auto magazine saying how with new cars you cannot use booster cables any more. It fries the electronics in all sorts of ways and problems may not show up for weeks down the road, but they will be expensive when they do.
Unfortunately the article didn't state what you should do instead, and I haven't checked with my mechanic to find out what he might know about the situation. So do check it out with someone who is 'up' on the newest information, especially those of you who are in the colder parts of the country.

This is not the article I originally saw, but gives more information and also gives a solution: http://green.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/at-witz-end-throw-away-those-old-jumper-cables/

Keep warm,
~marilyn

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - I'd been hearing this same thing for 25+ years..... and even then some mechanics agreed and others didn't .
At this time I don't know what to believe anymore..........
As you say, "what should you do instead"? Maybe it's a ploy to sell new batteries......... sounds cynical, I know, but in cases such as these, I am!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol nice to have appointments go more quickly than anticipated. Super to have good neighbors.
Cyber, I boosted with my car a couple of years ago and it fried a $ 1500.00 computer so .....I believe that if you don't know what you are doing , give people a ride or let them wait in your car but boosting one ... ?? I won't do it again as it was an expensive lesson.

Have made a couple of orders from Hosta Choice's Sale flyer and also put in my Botanus order as I snoosed and missed the Colchucums(sp?) last fall.

It is bitterly cold here too.
But the sun is shining.
Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yikes, Ann - thanks for confirming re: boosting other's cars........ guess sometimes it pays to be cautious, and I should remember that old information is just that........ too old to be trusted.
Thanks for the "heads up". As you say - if in doubt DON'T!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Absolutely, it doesn't pay to boost others cars anymore. They are so full of computers that lots of damage can be done. I used to carry jumpers cables with me all the time, but no more. I think my new car has SEVERAL computers in it. It's waaay too smart.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Imagine, cars smarter than we lol but it is true, imagine some models are parking themselves! Wish it was cold here, truly do..left work early as the fog was rolling in , pouring rain and expecting flash freeze. So many are sick with that terrible flu and it hers with colds they cannot get rid of, am sure it is attributed to this crazy weather..

When I arrived home you could see the grass in many areas, almost unheard if at this time of year!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol they're smarter me, that's for sure.
I just want to know the silly things Work, and leave Their brand of computering to them........... lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.