January 2012 Orchid's For Real!

Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

I am excited to see buds on my Dendrobium 'Eima White.' It's an evergreen hybrid type I bought in the plant district here in NYC two years ago, that bloomed well then nothing the following year. This year, after a summer outdoors where it grew an impressive cane, it's shooting up two bloom stems. Here are the little tadpoles . . .

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

Here's a view of the plant . . .

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The Blc colors look great in the photo, Pinetop but I hear you if you are not happy. Sometimes the next bloom makes a big difference. Also, the month flowers take time to ripen. Sometimes they improve and sometimes they don't.

Baptistonia echinacea is starting to open. This orchid was on its way to heaven two years ago. I got it with new bark on top and rotten medium underneath. It took me a few months to realize what was going on when the plant started going downhill fast. After no blooms last year there are two spikes this year. It looks like bumble bees when fully open. This is a neat orchid.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Here's the plant.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Personally, I love the colors on Waiamao 'plum'! Very pretty!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I was protecting a large rabbit's foot fern in the greenhouse and when I went to move it back outside today, I discovered another Angraecum sesquipedales 'Star of Bethlehem' in full bloom. I didn't even know I had two of them. Here she is:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

So I moved it up with the other one and show them here together.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Both my standard Psychopsis mendenhall and the alba form are blooming. Here they are together.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Those Psychopsis are amazing, Jim. Outer space orchids?

When you discover a second plant you didn't know you had, is that when you know your collection is getting ahead of you?

I do think I'm going back to see if I can get a couple more Bc. 'Little Lulu' from the local folks along the street. He's selling them for so little, I can experiment mounting them on a low branch in my big oak tree and not feel too bad if they don't all make it. It's on the south-east corner of the house so very protected and nice light.

See that dip in the big branch in the top of the picture? Sure will look pretty if the 'chids will live there.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, an orchid might look good on that branch but if it were me, l would probably put a big bromeliad up there.

Jim

We need a new thread for those with slower connections. I want to invite anyone out there with a current bloomer photo to start us off. Just go to the bottom of the forum and do it. Link this thread to the new one so people will not get lost and link the new thread to the old one. If you need help just DM. This is, after all, a shared space. I looked at photos of my current orchids and they are terrible. I am short of time.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

LoL, Jim I had a big brom up there for a while and it kept being blown off. I think maybe the little streamlined Brassavolas might be easier to secure up there.

Laurel, I'll have a new Cym open tomorrow morning. Hope somebody beats me to the new thread, but if not I'll start one then.

Elaine

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Those of you in FL, lock up your Orchids. I'm down for the week!!!!!!! Since you admit you have more than you thought, perhaps a few won't be missed!!!! (kidding of course).

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I have started a new thread here - please join us with lots of pictures and witty banter.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1238309/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.