January 2012 Orchid's For Real!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Scott, my point was that these big box stores are all different. Just in the Tampa area, the garden centers vary greatly, both in the knowledge of the staff and the variety and quality of the stock. The ones closest to me are really bad. I looked at the orchids in the local Lowes today and all but a couple were phals, including an entire table of blue ones for $37.50. I saw two small Catts and one bedraggled Dendrobium. There is a HD over on US 19 that is pretty good but it is a bit of a drive to get there.

Elaine, you do have a point. I have about 190 orchids now and am looking for quality, not quantity. Everything I have collected lately has been special.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Sorry about your weather in Fl. We have been having your warm weather for the last week, but winds are expected later this week. Our night temps have been staying above 40 too, but this is turning into a strange winter for the whole country. Good luck to all of you in the south east!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I couldn't believe it when my Mother told me it was 37 in Sebring just a few minutes ago when we talked. I'm with Carol. I hope all your plants take this well and you don't lose a leaf. We have been above 50 the last few nights and they call for 48-49 lows Wed thru the weekend. So as Carol said, thanx for the weather.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

We really can't complain. So far this winter has been really wonderful, and both the ground and the Gulf water are still pretty warm. That's going to help keep the plants from freezing tonight. Also will help us to warm up quickly again. Weekend's going into the 70's with lows in the 50's.

That being said, the 'chids aren't out camping tonight. They're all sitting here in the dining room with me. It's 40 outside, but still dropping.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is the latest from frigid Florida. Just before I left for the gym this morning at 6:30 AM, I checked the lanai where all of the orchids reside and it was 54.5 degrees. The new greenhouse works! Then I went out in the yard and put my hand in the fountain only to find pure water, no ice. Tonight will be cold again but not as bad as last night. The weather folks were talking about lots of freezing temps all over the area but my yard escaped the worst of it. Living on a lake helps. Back into the 70s for the weekend.

Jim

Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

Hello All! So nice to see this thread, the photos, and the plant stories. I've missed it. 2011 was a heck of a year by me, with 3 hospital stays, abdominal surgery, and the loss of two relatives, including my dad. I'm glad to be back. And glad to see familiar names! What a cheerful pick-me-up.

Amidst all the troubles . . . . I DID IT. I GOT TWO BIG CATTLEYA PLANTS TO BLOOM!!! I brought them to my folk's place in PA, and hung them on the garden fence, where they weathered 3 tornadic storms, two official floods, but a heck of a lot of sun. I guess the newly tropical northeastern summer weather was to their liking! The first was Blc Hausermann's Jade 'Addison,' which I got from Kawamoto on May 1st. It bloomed on August 29th on a new growth. Here it is in a spruce tree in the lawn where I hung it just for the photo.

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter

Here is the second. Blc Merrily Murison 'Larry,' also from Kawamoto. I'm especially proud of this one. I receive in March 31st, and it grew beatifully for me. What started out as a new growth just grew and grew, and it came into bloom on December 18th. The blooms are just fading now. The fragrance was of hyacinths, and I kept it by my chair as I recovered from surgery. I think it just about the most beautiful flower I've ever grown. I hope I can keep it for many, many years.

And another shot of Blc Merrily Murison 'Larry'

One last shot -- closeup of the lip (sorry . . . but I feel like a proud parent!)

Best of luck to all of you with outdoor orchids during this freezing time . . . it's 13 degrees here, but we're none of us outside!

MaypopLaurel, I had a beautiful little bloom on one of the orchids from Marble Branch. Thanks for introducing me to their website! BTW, I loved the oncidium pusillum (sp?) you posted a while ago. Such a pretty little plant.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

PtP, your catts are just gorgeous. Way to go on getting them to flower. It's neat to hear you say you kept it by your bed as you recovered from surgery. Our Master Gardener program here has quite a big group that work on Hort Therapy - the healing powers of growing plants.

I am just a beginner with catts and have not yet had one put on a new spike. But I just got one - Blc. Chia Lin 'New City' - with two fat buds that should open in the next few days, so I hope to have a bloom picture to show. Waiting like an anxious grandmother.

Here it is with its adoptive siblings, two Bc. Little Lulu's

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Welcome back, Pinetop. I am glad to hear you are on the mend. I really like the color on Blc Hausermann's Jade 'Addison'.

Elaine, just wait for Chia Lin to bloom and enjoy the fragrance. It will make your day.

Jim

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome back, Pinetop. Hopefully this year will be better in every way. I'll be sure to pass on the compliment to Gary and Mark at Marble Branch. As for the Onc. pussilum, it has been renamed Psygmorchis pusilla for a number of years. Mine took a brief break and opened a flower today on one of its two spikes. Thanks for reminding me a photo is in order. Congrats on your Catts! They are super floofy! What great colors.

Franco, sorry for not chiming in. Welcome and good growing. Nice colors on that Onc.. Right now I have Tolumnia Orchidum 'Sunburn' in bloom. The third spike opened this week.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Actually I took a couple of pics of the Psygmorchis but was not happy with them. Here is one of the better ones.

The BIG news is my two year old Cycnoches chlorochilon (or is it three?) finally blooming! The first part of the name sounds like something to eat in a Mexican restaurant. No? This orchid has lush leaves that spider mites love all summer and fall and then after battling with those I stop watering after Thanksgiving. The youngest cane starts to spike and the flower buds form. Then all the leaves fall off leaving a cane that looks like my poor old finger and a magical flower. Here is a slight profile.

And right on.

We are warming a bit too. It was a sunny day in the greenhut. Here is Maxillaria sanguinea up near the roof.

And a shot of the plant.

And one closer of the flowers. It has so many hues going on there. This is a pretty easy orchid if you have lots of light. It likes a good deal of water too.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

PTP, both of those Catts are beautiful! Love the colors!

Laurel, how do you make yourself stop watering a healthy looking plant? I finally marked the tags on the ones that are supposed to have a dry rest in winter, but today I broke down and gave the ones sporting new growths a little bit.
Love that Cynoches and wish either of my Maxis would bloom like that! I'm lucky to get 1 bloom on mine.

Jim, do you keep the pool heated? I'm thinking that would help keep the lanai temps up a bit. I'm glad all that money and confusion wasn't wasted! LOL! Haven't turned on the TV yet, but it looks like all the Fl. citrus growers are going to be stressed again. Orange county, Ca. has given up growing citrus for growing houses and car lots. It's a shame, I used to enjoy watching the crops change in the fields on my way to work, but now it's all under developement.

Thank you all for the comments and compliments.. I had forgotten, dyzzypyxxy, that horticultural therapy is a field of study. For a gardener, that's like forgetting the nose in front of your face! I love seeing your plant in bud. Is there anything more exciting than the anticipation of seeing any kind of orchid in bud on the verge of bursting into bloom? Can't wait to see the bloom photos!

Hi Maypop! I knew you were going to call me out on the name change of Psygmorchis pusilla! I just couldn't remember it when typing up my comment . . . my old 'Golden Nature Guide to Orchids' still is the first thing that comes to mind when I'm trying to recall names. I really love that little plant. Where did you get yours?

Hello Jim! I was perusing past months' threads I had missed. You posted so many beautiful photos. I get the impression from your comments that there are more orchid plants than leaves on the trees around your yard!

Hello occarol, and thanks for the compliments! I echo your difficulties in trying to stop watering plants.

I bought three such orchids last spring: Cyc. chlorochilon 'Norman', Ctsm. pileatum 'Oro Verde' and Ctsm. pileatum 'Red Pena.' All three summered in Pennsylvania, with the Cyc. growing like gangbusters. All three still have their leaves even thought I've *mostly* kept them dry. The leaves do show spider mite damage, and I every so often wash each by hand with Ivory soap and rinse thoroughly. The Cyc. chlorochilon has a bud spike just shy of an inch starting from the lower stem; no signs of bloom spikes from either Ctsm, but I can't remember whether or not they bloom with the new flush of growth in the Spring. MayPop, I guess I really should cut out the watering completely . . .?

I have another question for you all, which I would really appreciate your comments on. I had another Cat (Mem. Crispin Rosales 'Costa Mesa') which had one bud which opened to a deformed bloom. I'll have to see if I took a photo, though I think not. Basically, it had one petal, a lip, and two sepals. I thought perhaps it just didn't make enough food to form a complete flower, but I am noticing that the green of the newest leaf is mottled in appearance. Do you think virus could be the culprit? I don't want to take any chances if that might be the case. If it would be helpful, I can try to take a photo of the leaf.

Thanks all!

Carol, I look at it as if they are going on vacation and pick a date. The weekend of Thanksgiving is my deadline. There is NO watering after that except the ambient spray from hand misting other orchids near by. Most orchids need some kind of drying off period even if it just means watering less frequently, some combined with a drop in temps and some not. I have started tying colored yarn for warm and very dry, cool and very dry, warm and drier and cool and drier. It can get very confusing. I grow a lot of Dendrobiums. They seem to have a greater variety of growing conditions than some other groups. It's hard to keep track and not confuse them.

Pinetop, I got Psygmorchis from Erich Michel Orchids when he was at our Atlanta show last year. It would probably be easier to get it from Andy's because Erich's business is really growing species flasks for other growers and not a single plant mail order business. If you decide to get this orchid be aware that it will be in almost continuous bloom, hopefully for a long time, and then die. It literally blooms itself to death. I don't know how long mine will keep going but the month without one or more flowers is only the second month in ten since I've had it.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ha! I hear you about the Dens. I have quite a few myself, and without knowing what type they are, I'm lost. Andy's lists that info on the tag, but the last vendor I asked at a show said " it depends on your temps". Big help! And then there are the ones from the box stores??? I did read somewhere that kikis usually mean over watering/feeding. Have you any opinions on that?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I've never heard that about kikis. I have one now on my David Sander and also 5 flowers.

Blc. Golden Tang is looking good.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Carol, once I drop back on watering I stop feeding altogether. When I see buds or keikis I start to water again. If the plant isn't going to bloom but is resuming growth it needs water. After a week or two of re-hydrating I start fertilizing again. Watering can keep the plant from resting and encourage new growth, so yes, I agree. The problem is some can get by with little or no moisture in a relatively high humidity, lower temp gh but others will start to desiccate and not rebound. Some can take the shriveling like Den. kingianum and Den. aggregatum. Others like to get completely dry and then have a light watering or spray. Even if you know your Dendrobium section, like Callista or Latouria the culture of individual orchids within the section can vary slightly. Here's some good info that I should probably add to the Stickies. What do you think? http://www.staugorchidsociety.org/gallery35.htm

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Speaking of Rhynchovola David Sander,

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Nice!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry, we cross posted, Laurel.

Carol's Florida Gerberara 'Snow Ballet' is doing well.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It's a great year for the Spathoglottis plicata. I have three different colors going now.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And the second:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And the third.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Pinetop, I forgot to mention that Catt you're worrying about. You have reason to worry. Sometimes false spider mites can produce those symptoms. That it may be virused is a reasonable assumption. Get it completely away from your other orchids and treat it with a miticide or ditch it. If you keep it don't return it to the collection. It will be some time before you know if it is okay. You will need to see evidence of new clean growth. Even then you cannot tell without testing the plant because the plant can resume a normal look and be a carrier.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

laurel, yes that helps alot! Thanks!

Jim, Spaths looking great! Can't find them around here.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Jim those Spaths are so pretty! D'you remember where you got the yellow and the white ones?

I've got about 6 clumps of the purple ones going now. So great to have all those generous flowers going in January.

Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have two yellow ones. I think one came from Apopka and the other from Lowes. The white/pink one came from Apopka.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I definitely need to make a trip to Apopka! When you get a minute, could you give me some thoughts on growing Cymbidiums outdoors here? New thread yesterday with my questions.

Elaine

Thanks much for your advice, MayPop, regarding the likely diseased cattleya. I ditched it :-(
I'll just have to take comfort in the three new orchids I bought the other day :-)

I found the photo of the orchid from Marble Branch that bloomed this past November. Cattleytonia Flying Colors 'Mendenhall' The bloom lasted a good month!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful, Pinetop. I love the color.

Jim

That is a great color. Sorry I've not posted anything new. We still have family visiting from out of town.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Since I've been slacking, I'll post my few barely opening orchids today, and get some better shots later.
This NOID cymbidium is recently purchased from HD

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.