January 2012 Orchid's For Real!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

the plant

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Another NOID Cym. just starting to open. This one has 7 spikes, so far

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

My old reliable Medium size Cym. in full sun. This is the smallest division of a plant that has been with me for 50 years. Again, NOID

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

The whole plant. There is another spike in the back

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

And last, a NOID Phal that is giving me one flower at a time

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Good show, Carol. Very nice colors there. It looks like you are growing yours in pots just like I do.

Jim

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Laurel, love the Cycnoches chlorochilon. Yellow is Lynda’s favorite.
Jim, as usual, some of the best pix. .Blc. Golden Tang and Rhynchovola David Sander, are wonderful. I think David has to go on my list. I’m supposed to be concentrating on the little “chids this year, but…
Cattleytonia Flying Colors 'Mendenhall' just reminds me of carnival colors, Pinetop. Beautiful
Carol, I have 2 cyms in spike ready to open and one blooming I will take pix and post tomorrow. And all in pots, Jim
Looks like a windy weekend. Batten down the plants again

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Ted, Rhynchovola David Sander is my favorite orchid. The blooms can come at any time of year and they are many and they are beautiful and they are fragrant. You can't go wrong.

After a couple of cold nights, the temps have moderated and we are back in the 70s. A couple of the top leaves on the yellow elder (yellow bells) look singed but that is all the damage I can find. I'm guessing we had a low of 33 degrees. All of the blankets are folded and in the lanai so they are handy if there is to be a round two.

Jim

Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

OCCarol, I think that yellow NOID Cymbidium in one of the most beautiful orchid plants in flower I've ever seen. The flowers are gorgeous, and the way they are held high amongst the leaves . . . just beautiful. I WISH I COULD GROW CYMBIDIUMS! I will just have to enjoy the photos posted here.

MayPop, I wanted to compliment 'Viboon Velvet.' That plant has always caught my eye, though I just don't have enough sun to grow it. I love the subtle coloring along the petal edges.

Jim, I've never even heard of the hybrid genera Rhynchovola! I didn't know that they could be crossed! What a cool thing! Regarding Catts, I think my next will have to be a Goldenzelle or related hybrid. Your 'Frank Smith' clone is beautiful. So is the Arundina. It's an amazing thing to me that it looks so Cattley-like in flower, but plant-wise is so totally different.

I am awaiting at least 5 phal bloom spikes to start opening up in the next few weeks, as well as a couple of cattleya buds!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

This is the NOID Phal that followed me home right before Christmas.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

View of my soaking tub on New Year's Day.
Far left - Sharry Baby
Next Hilo
Right - Lipstick

Bathroom smells like a candy store!!!!

And "Scent of a Woman" who has had buds for 3 months is finally getting ready to flower.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't know how much you want to know, Quilter, but here is a bit of David Sander history. It used to be called Brassavola David Sander. It's parents are Brassavola cucullata x Brassavola digbyana. Then they discovered that B. digbyana was really Rhyncholaelia digbyana. So, that made David Sander a Rhynchovola which is a Brassavola X Rhyncholaelia. I'm not making this stuff up either. :>)

Nice little Christmas Phal you have there.

Jim

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's the first cym bloom. I have not been able to get these to bloom until we moved here some three years ago. Now I have two in spike and this one. Can't find the ID so if you know what kind of cym this is, let me know

This message was edited Jan 7, 2012 5:06 PM

Thumbnail by ted5310
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ted, regardless of the name, It's pretty!
Quilter, I would be spending a lot of time soaking in that tub! Beautiful!

Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

Jim, here I was thinking that Rhynchovola was Rhynchostylis x Brassavola! Do I feel dumb! Thanks for the additional info.

Qwilter, very pretty NOID yellow phal. Love the delicate stripes. And I echo OCCAROL's sentiments . . . what a setting to tub!

ted5310, nice Cymbidium! Great contrast between lip and tepals.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

If I had a bathroom like that there probably wouldn't be any room in the bathtub for me !! What a great room for your plants.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Pinetop, Don't sweat the names too much as they will all change tomorrow. The Rhynchostylis are a vandanaceous genus (related to the Vandas).

Jim

The tub area only looks so "tidy" because the house is For Sale and I am trying to keep the tub area "open". Up until this year I had hanging hooks so also had plants hanging over the top part of the windows.

I'm pretty excited. I got this Noid Cat from Lowe's Death Row 3 years ago. It was pretty much rooted except for one stem. I cleaned all the dead stuff off and potted it in Charcoal and lava rock. I was beginning to think it was never going to bloom for me.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks to me that it was worth the wait. Very nice, mj.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Don't know where to start, I am on Orchid Overload. Just returned from the Sarasota Orchid Show with three plants to cross off my wish list - I think I deserve a pat on the back for not buying anything that wasn't already on my list.

Only to find, when bringing the new siblings out to the patio that my 'Little Stars' has finally opened two flowers today. Such a thrill.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Cym. Sarah Jean with two flower spikes about to open any day.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Mj, your noid catt is just beautiful, and another prize-worthy photo, too!

Next off the wish list for me was Encyclia 'Green Hornet' which the lady who sold it to me (and the tag) says is an Epi . . ?? This one has a second spike coming, too.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Last is this Onc. Tolm. cross called Ester Oka 'Lake View'.

Anybody think I should re-pot? The pot is 2in. clay and the roots are in the bottom half of the pot with nothing on top of them.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

One bud on my Chia Lin 'New City' opened this morning, and the second is halfway.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

The lady at the Plantio la Orquidea booth says they have 'David Sander' and the yellow Spaths back at the greenhouse. Both are on The List for me.

They are holding Open House next Friday and Saturday 9 to 4 there btw.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

One of these might be the next thing to be added to my list.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Carol, the yellow HD Cym. is beautiful! I don't think I could have passed that one up (not that I have space to cram in another Cym..

Ted, the second flower on the Cycnoches has opened. They are larger than Cym flowers, probably twice the size, on those shriveled up sticks. I've got a Catasetum relative also blooming but something might be going on with the flowers. I'll post in a day or two.

Mjponies, don't you love it when an orchid is not on it's way to heaven? Very pretty. The flower is going to really look nice when it matures a little.

Elaine, you've got the fever. Sorry, no known cure as of yet.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Looking good, Elaine. Wait until dark and take a big sniff of your Little Stars.

I've heard Green Hornet called a bunch of things. Mine says Encyclia but when I post it, someone will tell me what it really is called. Confusing, I know. You will love it as it is in constant bloom.

I have a couple that opened this weekend. The first is L. purpurata werkhauserie 'Monte' X C. gaskelliana coerulea.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Another look.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The second orchid that opened this weekend is Angraecum sesquipedales 'Star of Bethlehem'. Large flower, very waxy with a 10 inch tail.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Another look.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh, forgot to show this one - (slapping my forehead) I have the bathroom orchid studio like Qwilter's just waiting for some orchids. And a new tub. Not that I don't love the antique claw-foot tub, but I'll tellya there's a reason they don't make bathtubs out of metal any more. I'm arthritic and really love my hot soaks, but that tub lets the water get cold in about 5 minutes. It's been on the "Honeydew List" ever since we bought this house to replace the dear old tub with a nice whirlpool like Qwilter's.

Windows face south so the light is great for orchids when the sun is low enough to hit the windows. Summertime, the overhang outside shades the windows so it's not quite as bright. Still, if my Cymbidiums don't stay cool enough outside the bedroom window, I could bring them in to the bathroom for a cool vacation. They do have nice foliage.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Star of Bethlehem is very cool !!

I have one marked Brassavola nodosa Lady of the Night, is that the same as Little Stars ? I have it under lights right now but I'm planning on mounting it....any culture hints ??

Elaine I want a new bathroom too !! Probably won't happen tho.

north coast nsw, Australia

P. Gary Romagna x Pinnochio has opened one of more buds to come. As one flower finishes another opens.

Thumbnail by breeindy

side veiw....

Thumbnail by breeindy

and Lc. Fireball Flame 'Jairak Waxy' has opened a few flowers but just can't seem to take a good photo, the colour keeps coming up not as nice as it really looks.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Mj, your Lady of the Night, B. nodosa is similar but not the same as 'Little Stars' which, if I remember correctly is a cross of B. cordata. The flowers are very similar and both smell absolutely wonderful at night, but flowers of 'Little Stars' are smaller. Here's my first B. nodosa in bloom back in the summer. So far, in my limited orchid collecting experience the Brassavolas are my favorites for their lovely fragrance and delicate flowers.

They're also easy care - that's another trait I'm always looking for - they like more light and less water than (supposedly easy) Phals. Do really well mounted - this one is on a small chunk of cork and has just about devoured it. The lady at Selby that I bought it from says she has some that stayed outside through both the last bad winters and never missed a beat, so fairly cold tolerant, too.

Elaine

This message was edited Jan 9, 2012 1:53 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

You're correct, Elaine. Brassavola Little Stars is (B. nodosa X B. cordata)

Jim

Elaine,
Thanks, I just ordered a bunch more cork, and my SO cut me up a bunch of cedar that I have drying now too. I'll have lots of mounting material.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.