January 2012 - Happy New Year

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Snow again this morning. I need to get to the bank, maybe later.

(Zone 7a)

Love the pics, Mike!

40º now and partly cloudy with a small breeze.

We had rain and then snow on Sat. Most of it has melted at our house. We live on a slight incline so water all runs away from the property.

Darrell was born in a Year of the Dragon. Woohoo!

Mountain View, HI

Winds are turning back to the south this week, still dry and the VOG will return. Not expecting rain for another five days. Have to start watering pots.

Rusty56 - Don't worry about the earthquake. They corrected it from a 5.0 to a 4.7 and most of the aftershock were less than 3.0. I was out in the garden when the quake struck and did not feel a thing. My wife was indoors and held her breath for a moment while the house rattled and wall plates shook but no big deal. The fun is trying to guess the magnitude and then check it out on the computer. Center of this one was about 12 miles from our front door.

As I drove down the hill into Hilo town this morning I was able to see the whales breeching beyond the harbor wall. Great sight this time of the year.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Storms last night with plenty of hail. Today it was sunny, mild and calm. And at 5pm the sun was still up!! Going down but still up! lol

(Zone 7a)

Snowing now. We have about an inch so far. 36º

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Here are some of the recent shopping trip pix. The new green enamel cooking pot.

It blends with my Moss Rose dishes.

I haven't had an enamel pot for sometime, so we will see how it goes.

Today it is still warm and clouded, but no rain all weekend.....maybe tomorrow and Wed.

Jeanne

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Sandals

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

brown sandals....perfect for seventy six degree weather in January!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

This is my makeshift greenhouse with the plastic rolled up to let the plants have some air since it is so warm outside.

There is jasmine going crazy under the canvas top.

The mexican fan palms both need cut back desperately. I was going to use the brown fronds to make the hut with, but that never happened, maybe in the Spring.

I wanted to switch pictures but it wouldn't let me.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 12:19 AM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

GH with plastic down

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
(Zone 7a)

Those sandals look comfy. And your yard looks like it's on an island somewhere! I love it!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from microb :

Rusty56 - Don't worry about the earthquake. They corrected it from a 5.0 to a 4.7 and most of the aftershock were less than 3.0. I was out in the garden when the quake struck and did not feel a thing. My wife was indoors and held her breath for a moment while the house rattled and wall plates shook but no big deal. The fun is trying to guess the magnitude and then check it out on the computer. Center of this one was about 12 miles from our front door..

I used to earthquakes when I was living in Southern California for years...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

26°/30°/20°
Sunshine to start, then a few afternoon clouds. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Rusty,
I heard about the earthquke too. There seems to be one every day somewhere in the world.

Celia,
I think my DH is the dragon too. It fits him. I'm a rooster and it fits me.

Wow Mike!
I wondered how close it was to you. We have a girl in Alaska who also barely feels the shocks, but we all gasp, LOL!

Pepper,
Eeek, hail! We got mist, turned to a bit of snow, and wind. That was our ''big'' weather.

Jeanne,
The pot is a beautiful color.! Funny how things go from calling it apple green, to moss :o)
I love the sandals too!
A hut. That would be cool!
The greenhouse is small, but packed!

A day at DD's. Have a good one yourselves :o)

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

59°/80°/61° Sunny

Texas gal, neat little makeshift greenhouse there...glad you posted pics of it. I keep telling DH we could do something like that with our canopy. Do you put a light in it for warmth?
I like the color of your pot, would look very nice in my kitchen. I have a glasstop stove and think it says no enamel cookware, or cast iron. Sandals are cute too, I have so many sandals and flip flops...drives my husband crazy. ;-)

Mike seeing whales...how cool, once in a great while I'll see one off our coast...but it is very rare. I lived in S. California growing up and been through some bad earthquakes, but they were 7. something, the 4 points never concerned us much.

Pepper I hate hail, it can really do some plant damage...we don't get it here too often thank goodness.

Got my garden workbench all cleaned off yesterday, some little birds have been using it to keep warm in and left lots of bird poop all over it, I'm ready to start planting some seeds now. Cut back the pepper plants since they are sprouting some new growth. Our 80 degree weather will end in a couple days and then back to normal which is 70/40's. But no thirties in the next two weeks..thank goodness, cuz plants are sprouting out new growth.

The last of my garden peppers, had to cut them all so I could trim the plants down. The red jalapeños are dang hot!

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I was lived in So. Cal. growing up too... First hit was in 69 or 70 then few years later more, more and more hit in different years so I move to Joplin, MO now I see what happen to all the peoples living in Joplin for years so I was so shock ef-5 tornado hit pretty bad...
It like so war zone and lost 162 lives and 8,000 homes destroy and some of the business , too! So, some of business is Walgreen open last year, Walmart open Nov. 12, Home Depot open Jan 12 and Academy will be open on Friday Jan.27... Some business rebuilt and homes, too...

I just pretty close about 1/2 miles from tornado path...

Rusty I lived in Moreno Valley, then called Sunnymead, from 58 till 62, and then back again in late 69, till I finally left in 78 and moved here to FL.

I think tornadoes have always been the most frightening thing to happen. I was visiting a friend in Springfield in June back in 08 and those sirens kept going off, one touched down not too far from us, boy did it keep me up all night long. We don't get any too bad here, but they still hit here...the worst one was an F4 many years ago, touched down on the other side of the huge lake we live by...I was actually woken up by the sound and debris from it. That was very rare for FL to have that strong of tornadoes.

The one that hit Joplin last year was all over the news here...I can't even imagine how terrible that was for you and everybody there. It sure is taking a long time to rebuild...but it does...the damage from the three hurricanes that hit us back in 2004 is hardly noticeable anymore...still some things I see that remind me...but most people wouldn't even notice like all the slanted pine trees.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I lived in Fontana twice and yes it is so terrible to see and it make me sick in my stomach and sad... Just so beautiful city then gone also it take long time to rebuild in either 2 or more years...

Wish to move some place that is not get any of it! lol...

Mountain View, HI

Its nice to finally get some light rain. showers overnight were moderate. Enough to make the plants happy but not enough to be a problem. Still coming down this morning, just heavy enough to hear it on our metal roof. VOG is being blown over Honolulu and the rest of the island chain as southerly winds persist. Unpredictably muggy weather for the next three or four days.

Aloha everyone for making this an interesting site to read and participate in. No politics, no movie star news, no scandals - how refreshing. I think I will cancel my local paper - oops cant do that. I need to know about the local orchid shows and nurserymans plant sales.

Temps in the mid 40s and sunny all day.

What happened to January being a beast? Mother Nature is just whimpering along while I'm sitting here waiting for a nice big snowstorm to come and give me my snow!! LOL

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Showers 44° RealFeel® 41°

It raining here!
My dogs hate it! lol....

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

You guys really make me warm! It's been a terrible snowstorm here since last night. Temps are dropping fast and will go down to 17F. Snowstorm and blizzard still going on until tomorrow afternoon. I shovelled a LOT of snow and it's back again!
This is the frozen alley yesterday morning.

Adina

This message was edited Jan 25, 2012 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by adinamiti
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

A quick shot of baking soda or table salt will clear that alley right up :)

Its been in the 30's since Sunday here. The snow we got Friday is melting, so if it freezes, everything will look like Adina's alley.

30's for the rest of the week. Down to the teens by Sunday.

Its my baby girl's 12th birthday on Friday...where does the time go?

High 40s and mostly cloudy today. A bit windy too which made it feel alot cooler.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sun coming up as I type.
Looking for 30's today.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
(Zone 7a)

Very pretty, Bernie.

42º now and headed for 50º. I love this winter but we haven't had nearly as much precip. as we should.

What a nice photo Bernie...looks so peaceful...and cold.

83 today, 64 tonight, some neighbors running their air...but feels good to me. Some strong storms to come through in the early morning from a cool front. We need the rain.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Great pictures! It is still quite warm here. It is supposed to cool off some the next couple of days. I let the plastic down on the sides of the GH. The plants don't like it under 50 deg so will keep them warm the next few nights.

I do not have a heater there. I did buy Christmas lights to put in there but haven't hung them yet. Maybe this weekend. So far it's been warm enough not tohave to worry about them.

I would love to see whales! That would be sooooo cool! Of course I guess that would all depend on where they were......like.....not in my backyard! Galveston......maybe.

Take care and stay warm!
Jeanne

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Wasn't cold, about 30º.
Lots of snow melt today.

High 40s for a high, very windy and sunny. All in all a nice day.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Clear 28° RealFeel® 28°

Academy re-opening today at 8 am...
Joplin Tire Center open and cut the ribbon...

This message was edited Jan 27, 2012 5:37 AM

It was 70 at 6AM this morning...that is summer temps...and we got spit for rain...south of us is getting a nice heavy rainfall...the lucky ducks. Up to 78 today and down to 56 tonight...just a teeny cool front.

Rusty good to hear all the grand openings.
Pepper sounds like great weather.

Jeanne hopefully you wont' have to worry about anymore freezing temps this winter...I'm keeping my fingers crossed...my plants are telling me it is spring.

My poinsettia is finally got some red on it...kind of skimpy compared to most years.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
(Zone 7a)

Sunny and 35º for our high today. Cats are asleep in the front door sunny patch.

Dreary day. Drizzly off and on all day and temps got colder this afternoon. Still not bad out temp wise but definitely need a thick jacket.

Mountain View, HI

Transitioning from muggy southerly winds to fresh northeast tradewinds. Should get more night and early morning showers and pleasant, low humidity weather.
Just enough rain to keep the plants happy. Not quite enough to create muddy paths.
No earthquakes, no change in the volcano. All is right with the world.

Stay safe Adina, your snow storms made the news all the way here in Hawaii. My parents live in England, my home, so I take an interest in European weather. England has been hit with some severe windstorms this year.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

1/16th of an inch of snow today...34 was the high. Will drop this weekend but back in the 30's next week.

DD turned 12 today. Party tomorrow @ the bowling alley. My baby girl :)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

24°/38°/24°
A mix of clouds and sun. Winds WSW at 15 to 25 mph.

Sherri,
I want your day of cleaning benches off and starting seeds, LOL!
Big WAH! I want fresh peppers! Those are beautiful!!

Rusty,
I don't know which is scarier. Tornado or earthquake. I think I'll go with tornado.

Mike,
I don't watch much news, do politics at all anymore, or even turn the tv on during the day. I will watch it at night, but I'm usually in bed by 8:00 or so, so I live in a world of my own making and I'm happy!

I love to hear rain on our metal roof. I just love rain anyway.

Pepper,
We still have Fbruary and we're all going to groan when you get your snow, because we will get it too!

Adina,
I always feel so sorry for you, having to scoop out just to get to work.
Wow, that is icy!

Minnesippi,
Happy Belated Birthday to DD. I'll bet that was a fun day. I haven't bowled in years... and years.... and years, LOL! I never bowled much, but it was always fun.
My DD's was the 12th and she's 35. I still don't know where the time went.

Bernie,
That is perfect ''country!"

Celia,
Us either. We are going to go into spring very dry.

Jeanne,
Aww on the Christmas lights in the greenhouse :o)
ROTFL over the whales!

Rusty,
The town is coming back.

Sherri,
Poinsettas have a color all their own don't they? It's pretty, skimpy or not.

Well, I spent the day at DD's yesterday. Both babies have ear infections and colds and she just needed help. So, we took off early in the morning. The boys are here now and her husband is off this weekend. The babies are on medicine and it should be kicking in.

Mountain View, HI

Cold and clear this morning, 56f - sweater and jeans instead of T shirt and shorts.

HIghs in the mid 40s today. The sun was shining and the wind kicked up her heels again and decided to make everyone cold. lol

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Sunny 34° RealFeel® 26°

Got build for Payless and cut the ribbon last Friday... Ya!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Payless....as in shoes?????? Do you ship? Take paypal? hmmmmmm.........
Do you get to chose what you order????????? I can help! Tsandals!!!!!!!

Pepper, Mn,, try to stay warm.

It was gorgeous here today. I hope we do have a short winter and Spring is just around the corner! That would be fantastic!!!!!!!

We are thinking of putting the little blow up pool back up this year. It is 3 1/2 f t deep and about 13 ft round. It is good to soak in and cool off when it is 90 up.....won't be long!!!!!
We might be seeing blow up whales in the pool, Billy! LOL!

Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.