January 2012 - Happy New Year

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR folks!! WOW I can't believe I haven't been on in months!!! Hope all is well.... blessings to one & all for 2012!!
Weather here has been unusual, what else is new, that's been Texas all year!! We have had temps in the 70's with lots of rain!! Some cold spells. In my area the drought has gone, but still some places in TX are bad!
Have been busy, ill, & computer problems, not necessarily in that order!! Hope I can be online more in the future!!!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Hope you are feeling better.

Snow stopped shortly after my post this morning. No traffic troubles. Going to get below zero tonight. First time in almost a year...weird.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold with temps only reaching 30 and still very windy.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Clear 15° RealFeel® 22°

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

2°/30°/4°/
Past 24-hr Snow: 1.5 in (est.)
Past 24-hr Precip: 0.10 in (est.)
Sunny skies during the morning. Snow flurries developing late. High around 30F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

Rusty,
Oh my, I could feel the warmth the minute I read your temp!

Minnesippi,
Our snow amounted to nothing yesterday, but there were many cars in the ditch anyway.

Celia,
''A bit.'' I know that ''warmth," LOL!

Microb,
Singing Ironwood sounds so neat. We have Cottonwood that clatters like rain, and wind thru long pine needles sounds really neat too.

Hi Cindylove!
We all get busy, but you made it back! I hope all stays well at your place.

Minnesippi,
I would expect you to be much colder all the time since you are farther ''up'' than me :o)

Pepper,
Wind here too yesterday,and it will blow today!

Well, we sure have a chilly morning, but January is already more than half over, sing sing!

(Zone 7a)

36º this morning and snow on it's way. Thew fun part is, it's going to rain after it snows. That makes for treacherous driving when it freezes at night. Mid-40s for daytime temps and mid-lower 30s for night.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

63 right now and sunny and breezy, up to 77, rain band coming down the state...down to 49°.

I'll have to catch up later...things have been busy around here. Garden has been lots of work, since leaves are falling all over everything. Gotta get the gutters cleaned out before rain band gets here.

Cold still with temps only getting into low 30s and windy.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

13°/10°/4°
Through 10am: A brief period of snow by 5am will diminish to a few snow showers or flurries. Cloudy and windy. Temperatures falling into the upper single digits. Winds NNW at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Snowfall of about half an inch through 9:30am.
Wind chills may approach -10F

Winter has moved in and we're making a grocery run this morning. It's going to get worse as the day wears on. I'll be glad to get back home nd put things away.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Clear 35° RealFeel® 35°

Tomorrow will be around 50*...

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

-12° current temp
high today will maybe be 0°

On the plus side...projected 32° by Sunday

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are trying to send you "southern" people some cold.
-10º this morning. Northern MN down to -25º with NW wind.
Wind is calm here.

Mountain View, HI

Hi CountryGardens, I just love this virtual world of cold weather your are sending our way. Nice to read about -10 degrees. Its rubbing off here in Hawaii. I have a sweater on at 59f this morning. Remember our blood is thinner! Clear skies and moderate southerly breezes continue until tomorrow. VOG mostly gone. Went outside Tuesday evening and it was brilliant. Clear skies, no artificial lights. Could see stars twinkling through the trees.. Went outside last night, still clear but you could taste the sulphur from the VOG. Stars visible through smokey haze. But gone this morning.
Great Balmy tradewind weekend forecast but back to southerly winds and possible heavy rain later next week.
Mike

(Zone 7a)

Y'all can keep the minus temps. I'll hang onto my +48º thank you. It rained most of the day yesterday but it was a light misty rain. This winter has been so mild.

High around 29 I think with wind chills in the single digits today. Still windy, at least at work where we are on a cliff, and pretty cold. Didn't take much to get my hands hurting!!

Snow on the way tomorrow from a clipper storm.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Weather in the 70's......clouded over today....may get rain Sat.

I need to water plants in the makeshift GH.

I've been resting.....did a little shopping. Ross Dress for Less has a new shipment of T-Sandals in.......I got two new pair, really cute, a new shirt, and a new Light Green enamel Stew Pot! It goes well with my Moss Rose dishes and fairly well with my plastic palm tree set for the Patio for the summer. We usually do more salads and cold cuts in the summer.....

Everyone take care and stay warm!
Jeanne

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

7°/19°/2°
Through 10am: A steady snow will continue to fall through late morning. Cloudy with temperatures steady near the upper single digits. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snowfall of 1 to 2 inches through 10:00am. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

Rusty,
50*...WOW!

Minnesippi,
YIKES!

Bernie,
Hey! That cold has to pass thru me at some point, LOL!

Mike,
I must say you still paint a perfect picture of Hawaii!
But, tasting sulpher? I could do without that.

Celia,
Grinning. Rain would be nice!

Pepper,
I hear you on the hands hurting. I bought cocoa butter yesterday for my hands.

Jeanne,
Awww, cute sandals! Love buying kitchen things, and to get something that matches is a bonus! I'll bet it's a pretty color.

It's not snowing here yet and most of it swung to the North, so.... Just as well.

43°/76°
CG - Ya all can keep those single and negative temps up there...don't have to send them down here. I am on my last pair of sweats...only have three pair.

Jeanne the sandals sound lovely...I love green!

Mike I understand thin blood all too much.

Minni that is just way too cold!

Billy get the snow boots on and picture that snow for me.

Stay warm everyone. Happy Friday to you all!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sherrie,
ROTFL! I would, but we have no snow yet! I keep looking too!

I only have a couple pair of warm sweats myself. Try and buy a pair with an elastic waist. They all have ties and will fall down if I don't tie them. So, I don't buy them...

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Mostly Sunny 30° RealFeel® 24°

I hope it will be warm today later on...

Sunday will be raining and around 62*

Mountain View, HI

I'm sorry to rub it in but its rare that we see such a perfect day. Virtually cloudless deep blue sky and light breezes. Just drove home and was able to look at the peaks of Mauna Kea (12,000 ft) and Mauna Loa (Smooth domed shield volcano 11,500 ft). Mauna kea still has a little stubborn snow visible. Look back as I drive up to the 2200 level and can see the Pacific ocean horizon stretching for miles and the ragged coast line in the distance between me and the horizon. Too hot to work in the yard. A little over 80f in the shade so will wait until late afternoon to move gravel.
Because the winds are so light the white volcanic smoke rises almost vertically and creates its own cumulus cloud against the blue sky. At various points along the road you can see the cloud lightly billowing above the trees.
This photo was taken 2008

Thumbnail by microb

Cold still. Never got to 30. Snow missed us entirely and stayed north.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They forecast 3 to 5 for us. We got 4" of that lovely stuff.
Lots of crashes in the Metro areas. those clowns can't remember how to drive in snow.
One in Mankato involved 2 semi trucks & 8 cars. News said roadway was slippery at the time. Yeah, right in the middle of the 3 to 5!!
I walked to shop a couple times. No snow mishap here.
Son plowed the yard this afternoon, so good to go now. But to cold, so staying in.

(Zone 7a)

No need to apologize, Mike. I think you live in a beautiful place!

52º again today. Such a great day.

54 this morning, up to 77 and sunny today...my toes are finally thawing out.

Billy no snow yet? Oh well Country Gardens can put her boots on and get me some snow pictures.

CG...I can't imagine what it is like to drive in snow...when I lived in Maine, Mass and Delaware I wasn't old enough to drive yet...but remember trying to walk home from babysitting late at night and slipping all over the place.

Mike great photo of the volcano smoke...that must be something to see. 80 degrees sounds nice to me...will hit that this week here also for a few days before next front comes in.

I took this photo yesterday of one of my Turkey Oak trees...to prove that Florida does get fall color...we just get it in January...lol.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Come rest your toes here. -13º this morning.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

current back yard temp on the digital is 16.7. Cant read the other, it has flipped around in the wind.
Got 2" of the white stuff here yesterday. Sun came out in the afternoon and was melting everything nicely. Roads were okay bu the time I headed home from work - but yes, evidence of many, many accidents.
Forecast indicated highs in the high 20's possibly hitting low 30's.

All I have to say is I cannot WAIT for spring...3 more months....

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

More stupid people are the weather liars. They can't comprehend that snow covered world won't get as warm as black ground. They are probably forecasting 10 to 15 degrees higher than what it will actually be.

Never got above freezing today. Forcast was for 35. It didn't get that high, stayed gloomy and at one point I felt the beginnings of a drizzle which went away just as quick. Tomorrow we are supposed to reach 50 and sunny. I'm not falling for it.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

28°/38°/28°
Cloudy skies. Patchy drizzle possible. Winds SE at 20 to 30 mph.
Cloudy with rain and snow showers this evening, becoming windy with snow showers overnight. SSW winds at 10 to 20 mph, increasing to 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 50%.

Mike,
Tropical paradise! Someone coined that phrase for a reason. How beautiful!
Besides, if we minded, we would all sell our houses and move there, LOL!
We need to see more on the road photos :o)

Sherri,
we have a light layer on the ground now. Sorry to say so Pepper :o)
Grinning, Country, or Bernie, as he's fondly known as......
Turkey Oak, neat name and a beautiful tree! I think Oaks are my favorite.

Bernie,
Beautiful!

It's a wonderfully miserable looking day here! I'm so comfy inside!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Landscape changed overnight.
25 to 35 MPH SE wind most of the night. All the light, fluffy snow is now in big drifts.
I think it all ended up in the groves.

Freezing mist now. Warm, around 30º.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Still warm! Clouded over kind of dreary looking out, but warm.

The other day we had a record breaker 81.......can you believe that? Finally got out and watered the plants in the GH. I opened up the front flap so they can get some air!!!!

Just to clarify on the shopping trip....the cook pot is green, the sandals are brown and gold, and the other pair is sort of coral with flowers on them. I will have to post some pictures.

Tree is still up.......maybe next weekend......or month ......

Try to stay warm y'all!
Jeanne

Mountain View, HI

No change in the weather. Still sunny and Dry.

billyporter - We would love to see folks for a visit but too many people moving in (someone once sang - they paved paradise and made a parking lot) Since we moved here 19 years ago we have had two new stoplights installed in our 18 mile drive into town and now construction has just started on installing a third one just 4 miles from us. In that time we have added Walmart, Target, Ross, Officemax and half the time they are empty but they have really large parking lots. Crazy humanity is getting closer. We are happy to make a 200 mile round trip every three months to go to Costco just to keep them away. Lets start ripping up roads and planting trees!!
Here's another road photo.

Thumbnail by microb
Mountain View, HI

Forgot to say "Thank You" to Countrygardens for that snow picture. Reminds me of my childhood in England and walking to school through the snow drifts.

Heres another road picture. The black lava rock is not too pretty but the rainbow ain't bad.

Thumbnail by microb

Finally warmed up today!!! High 40s and mostly cloudy all day. Winds died down too.

Watching the second round of playoffs now. Picked Patriots first round and won there, now seeing if I can go 2 for 2 with Giants. We'll see.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

36°/29°/13°
Through 10am: A period of steady light snow is likely between 6 am and 7 am. Cloudy with increasing winds. Temperatures slowly falling to near 28F. Winds WNW at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 70%. No significant snow accumulations through 9:30am.
Snow showers early will taper to flurries later on. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 40%.

Bernie,
All we had yesterday, was a bit of mist in the morning and a little wind. It's SUPPOSED to snow today and be pretty windy. We'll see.

Jeanne, I can't even imagine your warm weather in January, LOL!
All the shopping colors sound pretty! I'd like to see pictures, even of the pan. I love kitchen things :o)

Mike,
I hear you! I live in a very small town with really, no extra place to build new homes except to the east. It's the lowest part of town and has standing water off and on in heavy rains. It used to be the old, natural skating rink when I was a kid, LOL! It's actually farmland, but, someone bought some of it and built a house and large machine shed there. I really hate to see it turn into more town. They turned our school house into apartments and there's been enough trouble there since they did. It's also on the east side of town, next to the skating rink. We live 20 miles from our stores and I don't mind the short drive. So, it's tempting to live in paradise, but I won't move :o)
Beautiful picture!
Wow, beautiful, fantastic picture!! I like the lava rock.

Pepper,
Grinning. I don't have a sports bone in my body. If I did I think they would have been broken a few times, LOL!

Another good day to stay in around here today, and I think I will. I don't even have enough garbage to bother setting out.

53° and foggy, will get up to 79° and sunny...and the next three days up to 80°..loving it!

Billy so I am figuring you are saying Country is a he and not a she? Sorry bout that...lol. But anyhoo.l...sounds like you are in for some snow.

And Bernie....wonderful picture...so absolutely beautiful....and the weather guessers have been really off the mark here too. Funny how they record the temperature way off from what it really was also.

Mike, That sounds like Florida, I moved her over thirty years ago in the late seventies and it was so beautiful, orange trees and miles of pretty landscape. Now everything is paved, all the orange trees gone, I can't even begin to imagine how many traffic lights there are, and Wal-marts...and the road construction has never ceased...now they are making these fly overs at big intersections. I guess progress it good, but I sure miss the old Florida. I guess everybody wants to move to paradise. Anyway love the rainbow photos, very pretty.

Worked in the garden yesterday cutting back stuff and raked a ton of leaves....again. Keeps me in shape. Have a great day everyone...I'm going shopping with DIL today, she has the day off. I never go shopping, so ought to be fun.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful rainbow, Mike!
We have snow! It snowed on Saturday and now it's melting, yuck! We had a skating rink in our yard this morning and I almost skate...without skate shoes!LOL
Bernie, awesome pics! Poor toes!
Adina

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sherri, yes, LOL! Bernie is Country, but that's ok. I chose a boys name actually the name of a song, and Pepper was one of the few who knew right off I was a girl :o)

Yep, it's actually picking up from the flurries and the wind is blowing now.

It is very sad to see progress. It's why I like to see a rotting timber or a pile of branches. To some it may look trashy, but I see a self contained world.

Shopping....I even like to just window shop, but it's more fun to get something :o)

Adina,
As long as you are ''skating'' and not falling! We melted yesterday, but no big puddles. Thankfully.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I heard earthquake in HI this morning on tv new...
20 times aftershocks!

Today is Year of the Dragon...

Clear 36° RealFeel® 28°

It will be around 51* today...

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 8:10 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.