January 2012 - Happy New Year

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sunny & warm again today. Winter is now one day shorter.
Unlike pepper, I am not looking for snow. I like muddy roads!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

18°/48°/27°
Through 10am: Clear with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 30s. Sunny.Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph.

Microb,
Grinning, Too hot? It isn't 100° :o)
Our January is too dry. We have no rain, no snow cover and we really need it for the tree's and plant's health.

Pepper,
A change in the weather here too.

Bernie,
I can already tell spring is on the way

How about the moon? It is sooo bright!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Full moon tonight :) It was beautiful over the horizon this morning.
Beautiful days for January - 54° in the back yard yesterday although news said the high was only 45. Today is supposed to be mid 40's again. highs in the 20's by Wednesday with snow predicted. Yay :/ I would be perfectly happy if the winter stayed like this.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

26°/51°/28°
Plentiful sunshine. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

We have another lovely day and a good opportunity to walk outside. I've been walking the flower beds, looking at the frost bitten iris and dreaming :o)

I also walked a half mile. It was a bit breezy, but I'm going again today. It's SOOO good to see some sun!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Don't forget about the Extreme Makeover Home Edition this friday Jan. 13 at 7 pm...
It's about Joplin for families of 7 homes...

(Zone 7a)

Oh! Thanks, Rusty!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Bernie, I love muddy roads too!! The muddier the better!! LOL!! If you can't tell me what color my truck is then I've got enough mud on there. If you can see the black I need to go to town and get a pizza. LOL. Any excuse to kick up some more mud!

Mild day with temps in the 50s. Tomorrow we will be in the 40s with some flurries tomorrow night. Thursday our high will be about 20. That will be our high, not the low. lol.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Look like going to snow tonight!

This message was edited Jan 11, 2012 12:37 PM

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Back from camping...only dipped to 33 coldest night...so not the upper twenties as predicted. Three nights around that and then slowly climbed back up to 70's/50's. By the last day...back in shorts and flip flops. Sunny and blue every single day...can't get better than that.

Thunderstorms today 66°/75°/55

Garden got a bit of damage from the cold nights, but not as bad as the past couple years...hope that was the worst of it. I took in most the vegetables and tropicals. I have learned to keep them in pots.

Me and grandson playing Indians with feathers he found on our camping trip...was nice to have a visit from them over the weekend while camping.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

record 52° yesterday (49° 22 years ago)
Just started snowing - up to 2" by tonight with a high of 34° at 7am this morning. Dropping to 18° over night. Looks like we will be getting winter for at least 3 days. :)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

As this morning was not right so here's the right one this time!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/joplin-mo/64801/watches-warnings/329440

Snow working it's way here. Over in Kansas and upper Missouri right now. Accumulations around an inch expected. Have lots of wind in front of the system with sustained winds of around 20 mph and gusts up to 40 mph sometimes. No wind advisories here yet but they do in Kansas. Under Winter Weather Advisory since 6pm until 9am tomorrow morning.

Mountain View, HI

Winds have turned light and variable which usually means dry mornings and then afternoon clouds build up in the interior of the island and sometimes produce afternoon showers. Temp. around 70f this just how we like it. Winds will stay light or calm for a few days so the forecast is for possibility of VOG on Sunday. Very little activity with the Volcano. No active flows but lava visible in two of the craters.
Did I mention we also get regular light earthquakes. If you google "recent earthquakes Hawaii" you should get a local USGS site that records them. Red squares are last 2 hours, blue squares last two days and yellow squares last two weeks. Bigger the square, bigger the quake. We don't feel most of them but anything 3.5 and above will rattle the windows and plates on the walls. Things are relativiy quiet at the moment.
Mike

Mike

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We got rain, rain, and more rain! Our street flooded for awhile, a couple of hours or so.
We are fine...no water in the house or wind damage. Still thankful for the rain. Grass seed really needed it,

Feeling a little better. Having a fibromyalgia flare....weak, and pain. This weather doesn't help. It is supposed to be 30 deg Fri am. Fortunately plants are in the makeshift greenhouse still.

This crazy weather.....hot, cold, warm cold, cold warm, cold hot, hot cold, you feel like you are in a spin cycle ...........LOL.

Houston flooded bad Monday, and two tornados hit fortunately not anywhere near us!

Jeanne

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 12:27 AM

(Zone 7a)

Eeeeek! That doesn't sound like a good time at all! So glad no water came into your home.

22º headed for...I lied. It's 19º now. It's only going to get colder.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Cloudy 20° RealFeel® 0°

Got snow, snow and snow! then so chilly...

Dogs ran so crazy to play the snow...

Track on deck!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

We got nuthin! Hardly a dusting.
14° headed for 20° today, then back to 10° over night. MAY get some more flurries on Saturday.
Wont be above 30° for at least a week or more. I guess winter is finally trying to come.
Knew it would happen sooner or later. :/

Jeanne - hope you feel better. FM sucks.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

14°/18°/9°
Through 10am: Periods of snow. A brief lull in the precipitation is possible around 7am. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph. Chance of snow 75%.

Thanks Rusty!

Sunkissed,
What a doll of a Grandson! I love the feathes :o)

Mike,
Google earthquakes in 2010 and you find one almost every day somewhere. I can't imagine a bit of harmless ground shaking. It would almost be funny if they weren't such a destructive thing in the first place.

It's snowing here, but little accumulation yet. I see dirt in the garden and grass.

The old coffee pot has had a touchy start button for a while now and I wonder every morning if it will work. I got our new one out of the closet while DH ran a knife around the button. Both work now :o) I'll dry out the new one and put it back in the closet :o)

(Zone 7a)

23º and mostly sunny.

Sad to have to replace something when it works just fine.

Mike, I have a brother who lives near 3 volcanoes and he says they get tremors they can feel quite often, too. We get them here, too but most of them aren't felt.

COLD!!!! Temps only got into low 20s, with wind chills in the single digits. We have quite a northern wind blowing which makes it feel even colder. Some flurries off and on but they are done for a few days now.

Lots of slick spots on the roads today but not as bad as I was expected. 4WD wasn't needed though I came close to using it a couple times.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's now still chilly!

Partly Cloudy 14° RealFeel® 6°

snow still here and melt very slowly...

Highs in the mid 30s and sunny today. Not too bad compared to last couple days. Managed to run errands without my coat on but I still kept it handy. Too cold to push my luck too far!! lol. Last I heard we had more snow coming early next week. That could have changed but I haven't heard.

Mountain View, HI

Warm and dry with a light wind from the South. We did get the VOG. Smokey blue haze all the way down to Hilo. Its likely to hang around for a few days. At time you can taste the sulphur in the air. Asthma sufferers really have a hard time.
Mornings are the worst. No night time breezes to blow the VOG around so it just kind of hangs.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Presently 34 deg. It is supposed to be close to freezing again tonight. What plants that arent in the makeshift greenhouse are covered with sheets.

I forgot what the high for Sat is, but then it is supposed to be back up in the seventies first of the week. I guess we will have this flipflop weather for awhile longer. At least it's getting cold enough to kill some of the bugs and germs while warm and windy to bring in all sorts of pollens........

My right leg is doing better, plus I got to rest for almost a week, until we went grocery shopping yesterday. Spent most of the day in bed today.

Youngest granddaughter is here for the weekend. She hooked up the WII. We played "winter sports" with a fire in the fireplace. It was very nice. I offered up hot chocolate, but had no takers.

We have to go to the pharmacy and other errands tomorrow so good thing I rested today. I had planned to take the tree down this weekend but I guess it can wait. (Do we see a pattern forming here? Granddaughter just asked if we could just leave it up........I said, "NO!") I do plan to rest most of the weekend and next week.

Have a great weekend!

Jeanne

39°/60°/40° Sunny

Jeanne like you...we are up and down and plants covered and dragged in the FL room and then we're back in shorts a few days later. Sheesh...when is spring getting here?

Pepper I have to laugh that you didn't need a coat in the upper 30 degrees...heck I need one when it is in the fifties...lol.

Mike you add a nice twist to the weather forum...you should photograph the VOG. I thought that was a typo at first until I read back on your other post. I come from CA...there it was SMOG. ☺

Some pretty cold temps for ya all...Real Feel at zero...Rusty...ha ha...me no feel at zero. But thanks for the snow paw prints.

Billy all you got to do is clean something and it will work again. ☺ One thing I've learned in life though..is always have a back up coffee maker.

Looks like for the next 14 days we will not dip into the 30's again...Yeah...my back can't take the lugging pots around anymore.
Have a great weekend everyone.

Sherri

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Winter is back to normal, so no temp to report. We just takes what comes everyday, no mind if zero or 30 above.
Light snow this morning.

light snow this morning

Mountain View, HI

VOG is thinning as southerly winds pick up. Just means it will be like smoke from a bonfire, blowing past but coming from a constant source. Muggy, humid conditions are in store for the next few days with the possibility of scattered heavy showers coming up from the tropics. Sit around and sweat weather. Temps will about 65f at night and 75 - 80f during the day.
Wonderful cooling tradewinds from the NE not due back until next Thursday or Friday.

Temps in mid 40s for a high today with loads of sunshine,

Well weather guessers were wrong...it was 34 this morning...not 40...sheesh! At least it is nice and sunny. Tonight they say only down to 48°, let's hope they get it right this time...not putting my plants back out until I'm sure though.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Sunny 43° RealFeel® 32°

Later on will be around 60* and tomorrow 65* also maybe shower...

(Zone 7a)

We had a high of 50º today. Storms on their way!

Temps in the low 50s for a high but felt colder due to the strond winds we have had all day long. Snow is slowing melting in some spots though.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

current temp 34deg @ 7pm. High was about 36 today. Sun was out. Got about an inch of snow yesterday.

I have been engrossed in 2 books since Friday. Read The Hunger Games on Friday and Saturday morning, then Catching Fire (book 2) Saturday afternoon and today. Now to buy book 3 on the nook and finish the trilogy. DD is reading Hunger Games now. Maybe I will have to let her catch up before I buy the 3rd one - being she reads like me, it wont be much later than Wednesday before I am buying the third book. Wish my library had them to "check out" on the nook.

From what MIL said today, snow is coming Wednesday through Saturday...I think winter might finally be here.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Mostly Cloudy 60° RealFeel® 48°
plus 50 mph wind...

Highs in low 60s and very windy today. That seems to be the norm anymore.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

32°/27°/9°
Windy with snow showers this morning. Partly cloudy later. High 27F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.

No time to catch up. I got up late :o)

Instead of cleaning closets yesterday, I cleaned the computer after looking at my bookmarked pages. Then I defragged :o) That was more fun!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Mostly Cloudy 20° RealFeel® 15°

Yesterday, hit up to 69*...

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

12° now. headed for lower by the end of the day and below zero over night. Light snow falling...more to come.

Drive into work was okay. Home will be worse. :/

(Zone 7a)

Be careful, Minnesippi.

Our temps are cold but not like MS's. 16º and warming. A bit.

Mountain View, HI

Fresh southerly winds have blown the VOG a little east of us. We are on the mountain downslope for southerly winds so they really pickup speed and make the Ironwood trees sing. Knocks all the dead twigs and leaves from the trees. Heavy showers and possible hail reported on the northern islands of the Hawaiian chain this morning but still dry where we are. Lots of sun and in the 70s. Maybe heavy showers popping up anywhere later today. The warm winds dry out the ground real quick. Have to look back on earlier postings to remember only two weeks or so ago we were complaining about the unstoppable rain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.