January 2012 - Happy New Year

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hope to be best year of your life!

Sunny & cold.

Warmer mid week.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year to all!
Lovely weather in Romania, spring like! No snow, 42F, sunny no wind. Foggy last night.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

What a wonderful sentiment for the New Year, Bernie. Thanks!

39º here. Sunny, calm and beautiful.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Mid 40s for a high, sunny and windy.

Happy New Year!! Hung out with a friend last night and my dog niece and tried to stay awake. lol. It was a long day yesterday.

Today we are prepping for our new wood floors. Have the old carpet up and the plywood subfloor is either almost ready or will be ready soon. The floor should start going down tomorrow. I can't wait ti it's down!! I want the living room back and everything out of my room!! LOL!!

(Zone 7a)

Oh, have fun with that, Pepper. I love getting new stuff for the house.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Happy New Year!
About an inch and a half of snow lastnight AFTER the rain and sleet. Made for an interesting drive home from my folks. Not too many cars in the ditch at 12:30. I suspect there were many more later in the morning after bars closed. Hope you all had a safe holiday as I did.
Very windy today. Gusts came in around 45mph. Shook the house. But the sun was out for a while and the driveway got shoveled.
Not a clue what tomorrow will bring.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

23°/26°/13°
Decreasing clouds with strong and gusty winds. Temperatures steady in the low 20s. Winds NW at 25 to 35 mph.

Bernie,
Thanks for the new beginning.
That's my wish for everyone too.

Adina,
Your little tree looks great! Green grass. Here too :o)

Pepper,
Laughing, just don't bump into anything in the dark till the new floor is down!

Minnesippi,
Now that is weather!! I'm glad you made it home!

I'm staying in today to continue my ''me'' holiday! Usually I start a jigsaw puzzle, but that can wait.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

61°/65°/35° Cloudy this morning, then clear and much colder. Red Flag warning wind gust and low humidity. And we are going camping...LOL.
Kind of stinks that for just the first two nights I'm going to have to drag my potted and tropical plants in to the Florida room, when by this time next week back up to 80. But we will be gone for a week and I can't leave them out below 40...this will be our coldest temps so far this season. Where we are going just two hours southeast of here and yet they show much cooler temps than here, guess because it is between two huge lakes. My boys will be here and maybe I can get them to drag some of my plants back outside again. Yeah I know...good luck with that one. ☺☺

Country Gardens, thanks for the new year wish, and same too you and yours and everyone of my new weather friends.

Adina, love the tree planted in the nice green grass...just watching it grow each year will be fun.

Billy the "me" holiday sounds wonderful, I do usually do that this week also, but DH wanted to go camping.

Minne, I can't even imagine driving in snow, I'm sure I'd be one of those people in the ditch. Those are some strong wind gusts, makes me cold just reading about it. Stay in and drink some nice cocoa.

Pepper new floor sounds wonderful, we need to do that in my DH's "Man Cave", he has ruined the carpet in there. Maybe another project for him since he is RETIRED... ☺

Well I have so much to do today, we head out tomorrow, hope everyone stays warm. I won't be back until next week...at least no rain is in the prediction...maybe I'll get to wear my fuzzy boots this time.

-Sherri

Mountain View, HI

A few light showers overnight but turned clear and sunny this morning. Just a slight breeze rustling the ferns and trees. Temp about 72f. High surf warning up for most of the week but not on this Island. Surf on the North Shore of Oahu is forecast to be close to 30 feet Thursday. We get that information as part of our weather forecast. Because we have a continuously erupting volcano about 17 miles from us as the crow flies our weather forecasters also give us VOG warnings when necessary. VOG is volcanic smog. If the wind goes round to the south or southwest we can get visible volcano smoke drifting through the trees like a blue haze across the yard. You can taste the sulphur when its bad. Might happen two or three times a year. Mostly the tradewinds blow it out across the Pacific ocean and then around to the Kona side of the island. If the wind dies altogether the VOG can just settle in the area for days.

Happy New Year everyone.

Mike

Cold!! Temps in the 30s and the wind blowing like crazy today.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

10°/33°/27°
Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. High 33F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

Sherri,
Grinning over the wind and camping. Are we ALL having the wind? It's really dipping low to get you. Take your slippers with you. You might get to wear them yet, LOL! Grinning, I said that before I reached the end of your post.

Microb,
Volcanic smog. Not knowing much about Hawaii, are the eruptions small? Do you ever get ash?

Pepper,
I pulled my hooded sweatshirt tight around my face everytime I went out yesterday. I had a stocking cap on too. I also invested in coveralls from Farm and Fleet. The kind with suspenders. You wear thermals under them and a coat over them. NICE and warm!

One more ''me'' day :o)

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

was 41.7° at 6AM when I awoke, now at 8AM dropped to 38.5 and steady. Wind was strong during the night and pretty breezy now.
Today up to 48°/29°...where we are camping the prediction is down to 26°, and it is southeast of here.

My Florida room is full of plants. 59° in there now...so they are good...windows can be opened when it warms back up.

Have a great week everyone and stay warm.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Sunny 23°
RealFeel® 10°

So chilly!
Will be chilly windy!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Wind is tapering off here...high only of 25° today - but possibly 40° by Friday!

Just wish I could get in the gardens...:(

I thought I posted a few hours ago....I guess I was going to!LOL
It's much warmer than yesterday, 44F today, sunny and no freezing last night, go figure!
I have an article published today if you want to read it :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3521/

Sherri, love your Florida room!
Mike, are you safe from the volcano? Keep us posted about it!
Sally, brrrr, that cold? I had a few "me" days too!LOL

(Zone 7a)

Yes, Mike, keep us posted regarding the volcano. Not many of us have experience with them and we're curious.

Sunny and 41º. Very nice out but I want Spring and Summer back. LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Still cold with temps in mid 40s and still strong winds. The wind isn't blowing as hard as a few days ago but still blowing.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful day, but a little chilly. Had to run errands and pay bills. DS went to the grocery store. Had chinese food at sister's house since I was sick on my BD. I have pulled a muscle or tendon beside and behind my right knee and can hardly put my weight on it. I am trying to stay off of it and have pain meds, muscle relaxers, cane and crutches, and knee brace. Some times it is caused by a pinched disc in my lower back. It usually clears up in a couple of weeks. I have a referral to a bone dr. if it doesn't clear up. I had this happen a few years ago.......also have had sciatica (sp?) which is similar, but this seems to be more in the muscle behind the knee......I am trying to stay off of it as much as I can. It's been a week now.

Best wishes in the new year!
Jeanne

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

torn maniscus (sp?) ??

Chilly but not as windy.

(Zone 7a)

It's quite wartm for this time of year. We're usually mid-30s but we have almost 50 coming tomorrow. No snow and warmer temps are great for me but UT really does need the water.

Mountain View, HI

Brilliant day in Hawaii today. Lots of sun and gentle breezes.

For the Volcano watchers - Kilauea as it is called is as friendly as you can get. Local residents don't even bother to check whats doing on. This week marks the 29th anniversary of the continuous eruption. Sometimes there are lava fountains, sometimes flows are going into the ocean increasing the land area and forming black sand beaches and sometimes there is nothing much to see. We don't get ash as far away as we are. Years ago some areas had light showers of glass hair falling in their gardens but that only happens at times of good size lava fountains which does not happen often. We visit the national park occassionally and at night you can see the lava glowing. It is possible to drive down to the ocean edge and hike to the point where the lava enters the ocean. At night it is spectacular. Try this website http:/volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus. If that works you should be able to view the webcams. Let me know if it works. Good Luck.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/
Your link didnt work, but I found this...
looks and sounds really fascinating!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2012 12:51 AM

Mountain View, HI

Yes, that's the site I was trying to get you to. Back in the early 1990's, before our forest trees grew too tall we could sometimes see the glow from our front deck.
You probably found out that by clicking the Kilauea update tab you can get a day by day report on whats happening.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

That would be awesome to see - especially at night.

Headed for 46° today. Record is 47° set back in 1885 or so. Sure wish Spring would spring and take over already :)

(Zone 7a)

We're getting closer to Spring by the day. We're supposed to have a high of 50º today and we're at 32º now. It's sunny, it's beautiful and it's out-of-character for Jan. in northern Utah.

Mike, thanks for the volcano link.

Mountain View, HI

Wonderful day in Hawaii, light breeze, puffy white clouds drifting across a perfect blue sky, temp about 76F and no rain.

If you don't hear from me you know the weather is remaining perfect. Forecast to stay this way for the next four or five days.

Semi retirement has its benefits. Not having to work on a Thursday and living in an "off the highway" rural community I have it all to myself because most other folks are working. Its quiet, no traffic on our gravel road. Went out to the mail box for the paper at about 8am, not a soul around, watched the sun coming up airbrushing the trees with a golden pink glow. Cotton candy pink clouds were drifting overhead above the forest trees so close you could almost touch them.

Mike

(Zone 7a)

Sounds like Heaven, MIke.

Waaaay to warm for January here!!! Our high was 61!!! Crazy!!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Will be up to 65 today! Yes, it's so crazy weather change....

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

39° at 6am! WTH?!? High of 42° today. SO feels like spring! Not good - spring fever in January...and next week sounds like we will dip sub zero and get some snow...
Sure Nature- tease me with spring and just take it away... :P That's okay. I will still be generous in planting for you when spring finally does come.

Highs in the high 50s today. I'm used to snow and heavy coats and too many layers this time of the year. I want that back!! LOL

Mountain View, HI

Baby its cold outside - sorry but for us it was this morning. Got down to 55f - what the weather forecasters call "extra blanket" weather. Beautiful clear morning. Still a little snow on the top of Mauna kea at the 12,000 foot level. Temp rose to about 80f by early afternoon.
In the 20 years we have lived at this location we have had temp drop as low as 48f.. Ten miles up the road in Volcano village, at the 4000 foot level they can get frost.
Mike

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

31°/42°/27°
Sunshine to start, then a few afternoon clouds. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Catching up.

Jeanne,
Ouch! I hope you are better by now!

Microb,
Very interesting. I love to watch volcanic action under the ocean. It is beautiful!
I hear you on the trees growing up too. We used to be able to see fireworks from two towns to our north :o)
I live in a small town and the neighbors either worked or weren't outdoor people. I've always had a quiet day here. It's wonderful!

It's been beautiful here and I've been outside, and also taking advantage to clean up the sideporch. I never met a box I didn't save if it had a good ''bottom,'' LOL!
I spent Wednesday with the Grandkids and we got the boys last night. There have been two visitations, luckily for those who lived a full life. The last was a woman who was a horse shoe champ :o)

Rainstorm last night with very strong wind. Temps have dropped down to 35F, still raining no wind today. Dyson dark.

Jeanne, thanks for the link, great views of the volcano!
Mike,so interesting to have a 29 years continous eruption!!!!!Wow!!!

Adina

(Zone 7a)

We have snow!!! 36º now and about 2" of the white stuff.

Not much change in weather since yesterday. Still too warm. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

SNOW?!!!!

22°/42°/27°
Mostly cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon. Winds light and variable.

Yesterday was nice, but a chilly wind. I took the boys out anyway for clean, fresh air. I hung clothes too. They got to hand auger holes in the old peach stump we are going to get get rid of this year. It's cut ground level and softened nicely.

This morning, as I was letting the outdoor cats in I heard a hoot owl up north, and up. One was in our front tree. Love to hear them hoot. Always worry about the outdoor cats becoming a meal.

Mountain View, HI

Too Hot! 80f very little breeze and lots of sunshine. A couple of weeks ago it was too wet. No rain forecast until Wed or Thursday.
January is traditionally our driest month.

Getting colder. Winds shifted directions today on us so some change coming. Mostly cloudy all day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.