What is blooming in your garden now?

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

A couple of my newer hellebores

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

Nicknamed the "stinky hellebore."

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

A small collection of early spring color.

The ever-faithful Tete a Tete daffodil.

Lake Stevens, WA

Sharon,
Beautiful hellebores!! Has you Podophyllum started to show! I bought one last year, nothing yet. Are they late or early to show there leaves?

Haven't looked. I will have to ask Linda the timing....I think they are late.

Edited to say ---it was a nasty day today. Still have a few flakes of snow on the ground.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 6:59 PM

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I love the color of this hellebore, but it is one of the down-facing ones so I have to tip the buds to really appreciate them.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Went to Freddies yesterday and bought 4 heathers (2 kinds), a white bleeding heart and 3 hellebores. A new one called Moonbeam. Think it looks like an Ivory Prince and they are good bloomers. Something won't let me post pictures now. Really irritatting. I have loads of crocus blooming, daffs in bud and the neighbors plum is blooming and beautiful
Had to go to WM and get a new mouse. Got a blue wireless one and love it.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I just read the article on creeping phlox and it reminded me that several years ago I put a creeping phlox in a large hanging container and it was beautiful for about 5 years. Cheaper than fushcias and didn't have to worry about it over the winter. Just leave it out.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Nasty weather here today. Sooooo....cold. Everything seems late this year.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

The only thing "blooming" for me are my new chicks. I hatched 14 last Thursday/Friday. 14 random different pure breeds. This one is my favorite. Very soft and fluffy with feathered feet.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

So cute. That reminds me of when I got 60 day old chicks and raised them in my basement when I lived in Seattle. LOL

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Every year on 'chick day' I am tempted to raise chickens again. I love the fresh eggs and rooster's crow.

Julie had SO hoped to do chickens this year, but is still in a state of transition. We raised 100 "pit run" when she was little and it was so much fun. Had a huge variety of breeds.....

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Heathers are blooming, but not much else yet. (Not even my daffodils!) Temps continue to be at least 10 degrees below average with lots of rain and rain/snow mix.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Your new chicks look so sweet! Likewise we have mixed rain and snow. My crocuses are being pounded into the ground by slush falling from the sky. I have no daffodils at home, but the ones planted with my class by the south facing concrete wall of the school are beginning to bloom.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I awoke to snow on the ground for the 5th time in the last few weeks. Weird.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I had an inch of large hail last night. It was frozen in place until ten the morn. I have hyacinths in bud. I saw four gray squirrels this morn also. Have I created a monster?

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

A pleasant surprise---after the snow melted today, I found these anemone blooming on a slope--tucked under a euonymus shrub.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

More anemone.

Thumbnail by kosk0025 Thumbnail by kosk0025
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Those are so pretty. Need to add those to the new garden.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I bought the corms at Costco last year. I didn't get them in the ground until May or so, and then they bloomed in July or Aug, which was interesting. Now blooming again.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My hellebore finally opened, along with mahonia, Indian plum, lungwort, and forsythia. Happy spring!

Thumbnail by bonehead Thumbnail by bonehead Thumbnail by bonehead Thumbnail by bonehead Thumbnail by bonehead
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Beautiful pics, BH!!! Your yard is slightly earlier than mine. Indian plum is always fun to see---the first tree with foliage. Stunning pulmonaria!!!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree on the Indian plum -- our alders are also quite pretty now with all of their catkins hanging down. Hard to capture that on film, it's more of a red haze than an actual bloom. Makes me smile.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Well nothing can be seen blooming now after 8 inches of snow. Ugh. Snow in March isn't nearly as fun as snow in December-January.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

Ugh, is right. Enough! Come on spring!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

But it sure is beautiful. I discovered I have a native red currant. Whoopee. It's pretty.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow! That is a lot of snow for this time of year. I was lucky to only get a few dustings of it and a little very thick frost. almost like hail had fallen, melted a bit, and frozen again.

I love red currant. I have one that needs proper pruning, a skill at which I am woefully deficient.

Richmond B.C., Canada

Last year my DH spent a couple of weeks putting in some French drains in the front yard. They work beautifully but in the process we had to dig up a planting bed to hook into the city storm drain system (all done with permits btw). The soil was re-spread, the lawn was re-seeded and voila! This spring we have some errant crocuses (crocusii?) and daffs growing in the middle of the lawn....hmm....plant more next fall and let them naturalize? It sure is tempting. nothing else in bloom but the brunnera is re-growing. Usually it blooms for me by now.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I have a few errant crocus also. Since they just disappear for the summer I leave them alone. This place is also infested with grape hyacinths. All over the beds and the lawn. The blooms are up about two inches. Guess I should say naturlized.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My daffs just opened - always a cheerful beginning.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

One of my daffs opened today too. Two tone and really pretty. I spent the day outside again and the long bed is looking like someone loves it. Still a lot to do. Got two containers filled with yardwaste. Yippee. I have a golden chain tree, a hawthorn tree, a yew, a baby flowering plum and five roses in that bed. Along with phlox, lilies, daffs, violets, columbine, and of course grape hyachith. And a lot of empty space. This should be fun.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Tip-toe thru the tulips. Found this big boy wandering around the front yard tonight. He was sickly and it took some doing to get him to leave.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Ribes, red flowering currant, 'King Edwards'

Thumbnail by kosk0025

PJM and primrose.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That's a pretty spot. Love the PJM

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I prefer tulips when they have not yet opened up fully.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I have this thing. Left over from last year's hanging baskets. It looks like lobelia but stayed evergreen all winter & bloomed early. No idea what it is.

Thumbnail by summerkid
Spanaway, WA(Zone 8a)

Summerkid I think your blue bloomer is a type of veronica..maybe Georgia Blue but not sure. I have some too. Love that it blooms so early.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.