Plant propagation... the basics II

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oooooo that makes me mad. Who do these cops think they are anyway?! Spoilin' an old fart's fun.

Ooops - sorry Dave. Perhaps better for the fireside chat, but still . . . ..

Sharon - thank you I will send my addy by dmail if you have the CA poppy. Carolyn I remember that post from Crit - but I don't think there's a particular time to sow them. I just think they do better sown in the ground and able to come up on their own where they are. For one, I know they did not like being grown in containers in spring or being transplanted. Of course, I just figured I could grow ANYTHING, but it just didn't work that way with the poppies.

JB is not alone in being down - you know that this is the time of year for almost everybody. For some reason I am not this year. Call me crazy (you have before). I am taking cuttings of houseplants and many of the annuals I brought into the house are doing very well.

I also want to tell you that the Coleus I brought in are doing very well despite everyone's foreboding - I have them in a window facing E/SE, they are in very fast draining soil - in fact it's a soil-less mix of pine bark fines and peat moss - and I've only been watering them very little with a spray bottle aimed at the soil. Every other day or so. I have to tell you my favorite is a beautiful rose/wine color and with the sun shining thru it from behind it is so pretty. It's getting so large (!) I may just take cuttings so I can be sure to have more for spring.

Nothing new today - still tidy-ing the garden and will start wintersowing in a couple of weeks, I guess. I do use milk jugs - I know we've gone 'round about it. I hadn't thought of it really before but I guess it does obviate the need for cold/moist stratification of many species if you sow them early enough. I have not really planned that far ahead and have done most stratification in my refrigerator. I guess I best get planning...

This message was edited Dec 29, 2011 12:52 PM

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

What a week. What a miserable week. But, the good news is, I am better and today Theresa and I cleaned out the greenhouse. I found cuttings of blue hydrangea growing, The April Blush camellias are alive, some sedum is growing, of course Christmas Cactus, Jasmine and Goldfish plant and three different begonias. We really threw out a mess of stuff because with me being so off balance for so long, I was not watering as often as I should have for the entire time between Sept. and now. That just destroyed hundred or more cuttings from last year, My Kleims Hardy Gardenias all but dried up. I do not know if I can save them or not. They were doing so well, but the problem was, during the day the heat went as high as 105 and at night it was down to 30s. I had to get out there and turn off the heat, then back on again in the evening. In the hours between I had nothing open because it was too cold and the sun was so hot it just baked the babies. Oh well, maybe next year. Anyhow, I have another month before I take cuttings of CC. In the meantime I am going to do an inventory and update the website and DG and FB.

I am tired and think I will sit with my little brown and white fuzzy pooch and rest with a glass of Merlot. Tthat sounds like a plan. It is nearly dark and it is not 5PM yet. I hate these days, but they are getting longer by the seconds. See you tomorrow. JB

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Gosh, I wish they would tell the growers that CA poppies do not transplant well, and the Iceland Poppies as well. They sell them here in 6-packs and the Cal poppies in gallon cans. I bought a 4" container of a special CA poppy from Annie's Annuals last year. I hope they have reseeded. I will be just direct sowing...much easier. If I don't have to watch them like hawks, maybe I will have better luck. I will just sow them when I get the chance.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Evelyn, do you need seed. I have many from last year. Mine are starting to come up but it was 65 degres today.

Just checking in. Still way behind. Sharon.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

We might catch you Sharon!! It was 49 degrees here today. Can you believe that?? jen

It is 50 degrees here.

Sharon ~ Thanks for the offer of seeds, but I have plenty and just need to sow them!

Jeanette ~ Wow, a heat wave for you. It has been much warmer here than I ever expected for this time of year. Hardly any precip at all. We need moisture. I hope that CA is not going into a drought year, as we do more often than not. The last couple of years have been good for moisture, but brutal because of storm damage. Maybe we can get a happy medium!

OH, BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE! ^_^

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

JB - have a question about a Christmas Cactus.

I had one years ago that I loved - can't remember what happened to that one!

The crazy neighbor had one outside all summer, one of many plants she takes in and out of her basement winter and spring. This CC was in a pot of old soil, plastic pot cracked with age. She said it didn't do anything all summer and was going to toss it. I brought it home.

I took the plant(s) out of the pot and saw almost no roots. One section had green on it, but nothing that looked like new growth. The other section was just a brown callus with no roots. I broke a piece off and saw it was lush and green on the inside (!) so I potted them both in a fast draining mix and hung in a south facing window.

I began to see tiny new growth on the green part. The brown callus was green from where I took the "cutting." I thought that would encourage new growth, but it hasn't. I pulled it out of the pot just now figured it was a gone-er, but when I tried to break a piece off see that it is still green inside. WTH?

I packed it tightly into a 4" plastic pot with the same mix and watered it till it drained. I don't have any special tools or products and no $$$ to go out and look for a miracle. I would like (1) the brown callus to send out shoots, and (2) the green part to push out more new growth.

Can you give me some CC propagation advice here?

Thanks.

A.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Poppies need a good cold period or they do not do well, they naturalize here and do poor on Winters without long enough real cold weather or rain. Poppies in containers probably do poorly because they don't get enough cold. I'm thinking.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have found that sometimes in the older cuttings, you need to be sure they did not have any bacteria on them. IA diluted bleach wash and a thorough rinsing. I put mine in water to restart them although some people do as you do and put them in small 1 in ch or 1 1/2 inch pots, using one or two cuttings to a pot. the medium should be pathogen free, well drained and maintained between 70 and 75 deg. during the propagation. I use misting and keep them moist and warm during the propagation time. You must be sure you do not get any disease during the moist time because that is when the disease causing organizisms spread and can really mess up your inventory. That is why it is necessary to start out with a clean , pathogen free soil to start. Also be sure your containers are clean.

Maybe you should try starting them in a warm window, with a wet papertowel and some water on the bottom of a clear container, put some hydrigen proxcide drops in the water every few days and wait and see what happens.

Sometimes I start mine in water then move to the coca coir and keep it moist and warm.. it works for me. Much of your success will determine the location and type of soil you use. You need to find what works for you and is available in your area.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JB, the ccs aren't something you would put in a quart ziplock bag then, right? Jen

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Jen, some people do put them in bags, I have never done that but I have read that they do. The University of Conneticut says remove 2 to 5 segments sections and leave them out overnight to dry. Callous tissue will form on the pinched end. Place the cut end about an inch deep in the moistened medium and then place it in a clear plastic bag. Secure the bag. Place it in a bright area but not direct sunlight. check after a few weeks for roots, when they are an inch long, remove to individual pots filled with a peat-based medium.

So, it can be done that way also, but I just do not do it because I do too many.. It really depends on how much you do and what works for you. All these methods work but not for each individual. Just like seeds. Heck, I can not een sprout a seed. You know that. LOL.

Quote from hellnzn11 :
Poppies need a good cold period or they do not do well, they naturalize here and do poor on Winters without long enough real cold weather or rain. Poppies in containers probably do poorly because they don't get enough cold. I'm thinking.

So far, winter has not been very cold here. It may, however, turn on us any moment now. One never knows what to expect from year to year. Last year was brutal.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I know I bet you love it though. I am loving it as long as we still get rain. We had one good rain year and I don't want 7 more years of drought. We need more rain.
Snow too.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You are right Dawn. We don't have any snow pack yet and the ski areas aren't even open up here. Which means for summer that we may have a lot of forest fire hazards.

Very cold, and we still have the couple of inches of snow and ice that we have had for over a month. The ground is frozen solid. No snow for insulation. May have lost some plants.

Some nut in L.A. has been setting many fires in garages! They had better catch him and hang him up my his toes! We have enough fires in CA without ones intentionally set, though many of the brushfires have been set by people, intentionally or not...like throwing their ciggies out the windows.

Well it is over 60 degrees here again today. I am wondering if it is too early to wintersow, as we are usually covered in snow or soggy with rain this time of year. I think I will sow some, but not all, anyway. I have been hanging onto these too long. i just really do not know how long seeds keep as many have germinated that were quite old, nothing like the books and websites say. Yet I am sure some of them are just plain dead. It doesn't take too much effort to sow them directly, so why not?

Athens, PA

Evelyn -

I was reading about the pyro in your neck of the woods. I had thought they had caught him though - did they catch him? I hope so.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Think they have someone arrested. A suspect. Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Where did everybody go??? JB, where are you? See you haven't been on all day. Sharon, what are you doing? Oh, BTW Sharon, I have been meaning to ask you, How the variegated Bougainvilla is coming along with it's roots, and what ever happened to my dwarf Oleanders??? Been holding my breath.

Amanda, what are you up to? Gosh, it is so quiet out there in never never land.

I had my hair appointment today, and it is fine as long as it is winter and I can't do anything in the outdoors anyway. Monday I had an appt. with the dermatologist in Spokane, and he burned a couple of moles off of both of my ears so they wouldn't bother my glasses. Then my hair appt. in Newport today, and tomorrow we go over the other direction to Colville to get my new gun.

Did I tell you how I hate appointments? Ever since I retired I have hated having to be anywhere at a certain time. During my working years I think I spent 3/4 of my time in meetings. Where, by the way, nothing ever got done or decided. That is why I would tell the President, if I could, to never, ever, have more than 3 people to make a decision. With 3, there can be a majority. Period. That's it.

Hope I woke you all up. If so, please drop by for a cup of coffee and bring a new plant. Jen

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hiya Jen!

I've been off for a few days. I had a mega virus take over my laptop and it took me a few days to get around to working with it. Then it took me most of a day to get it worked out. But I fixed it myself! Woooooo.

And on top of that the house we live in/rent has a MAJOR plumbing problem. Water backflowing into the basement from a break (?!) in the main.

I have my coffee (okay had it several hours ago) and I brought my new plant - a friend sent an amaryllis bulb to me and it made my day.

Have a good night.

A.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am here. I sliced the end of my right index finger. I have to type without that finger and that makes it difficult. I sliced it trying to get my friend Esther Mae's walker out of the trunk of her car.

Jen, so far both plant cuttings are green. I am going to check on them this weekend and water where needed.

I have about 8 coleus cuttings still alive and looking good. The rest failed. I think to wet. My winter greens are doing great. I will take a photo tomorrow. I am going to harvest some tomorrow to thin the patch out.

We have had 9 straight days in the mid to high 60s. The weather has absolutely been beautiful. And I have done no gardening and the Christmas decorations are still up. Long story.

The photo is violets blooming barely but growing roots like crazy. Behind them is two rows of snapdragons.

I will return tomorrow. Sharon

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Pawleys Island, SC

Hi Everyone,
Sounds like everyone has been crazy busy. Mom had shots put in her eyes again yesterday, so I spent the day with her trying to help in any way I could. I can't imagine what that must be like.

Amanda, I hope everything in your house will be ok and not flooded out. That can be such a terrible mess.

Jen, I agree. I hate to have a specific time I have to be somewhere. It seems as if that 1 appointment messes up everything else that day. I've been that way for a long time now. I like to be on a schedule as far as when I do things, but I like it to be set up at my pleasure.

I got some seeds in that I had ordered and I started 3 jugs in my attempt at wintersowing. I hope they work. My plan is just to keep planting as I get jugs. We don't use much milk and we have quit drinking soda's, jugs and bottles are sometimes scarce around here.

Gotta Run, Linda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Amanda aren't you glad the plumbing problems are a rental and not yours??? OMG! Big problems and money. I know you are inconvenienced, but so glad you don't have to pay for them.

What are the shots in mom's eye for Linda? Doesn't sound like fun.

Ok, DAve, now it is your turn. We have let you off long enough. It is getting late you all, going to bed 'cause of another big day tomorrow. ttyl, Jen

I just a long post. Maybe I will be back tomorrow and tell you my adventures.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok Evelyn. It's your turn. Jen

It's on the chat thread. I forgot this is the propagation forum...LOL!!!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

LOL I'm headed over there next.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well I am on early. If I do not get on early, I do not get on at all.

I took photos of some of my lettuce. I think I am going to thin it today and toss the removed lettuce in my salad. I planted a whole row of cilantro but only have two plants. That is really not a problem because I do not use much of it. I planted it for a neighbor. I planted three different spinach and they are just putting on their second leaf. I thinned the turnips weeks ago but forgot the radishes. The wind is blow like the devil yesterday and today. I do not garden on Sundays so hopefully tomorrow will be less windy and I can do some gardening.

I have really been consciously working on not ordering any more seeds or plants. I have no appointments this whole week so I plan on getting the seeds sent out. Plants will not come until spring.

Burpee will finally send tomato plants to Nevada so I may order some. That way I can get them in the ground earlier. I am going to call the nursery and find out when they are getting their plants.

Dawn, those onion smelling bulbs should be coming up for you. Mine are popping up everywhere. That is the one with the pretty little blue flower.

We were in the mid 60s all week and I did no gardening. I had something I had to do every day and if I do not start early, I never get started.

My new puppies love to dig. They have been digging on their side run. They will be 4 months on the 9th. Still to young to train big time. They may never get in the back landscape.

Have a great Sunday. Sharon.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Looking good Sharon.

Have any of you ever tried grafted tomato plants? I was looking at a site the other day, can't remember who it was, maybe Burpee, don't know, and they had a lot of them on sale prices.

Jen

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I noticed them starting to pop up. I don't see tons of them yet though. I am hoping they spread. I spread some into different areas to see if they would spread better in various light and soils.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Grafted Dawn???

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Ok I'm here... sorry for the delay in response.

Poppies do not like to be disturbed. I have tried several in pots and even bought some from the local nursery. I had some good luck last year with them just by direct sowing them into an area. I have lots of lttle ones growing in the area from last years crop. I really love the dried pods. they would make a great addition to a floral arangement.

I've been in a funk since the hospital stay but I am determined to get out of it and get some stuff planted.next week is my goal. its not like me to have a bag of soil and it sit for a while.
I've been tron between getting rid of everything and just doing stuff for me and the grow to sell stuff line of thought. I guess its not too fun lately and sfter all thats what its all about is to have fun.

Jennette have you thought about taking him to visit his friends? I realize its a long ride but maybe if it was organized the rest of the family would be more apt to not freak out. it sounds like he just wanted one more adventure before he calls it quits. Just an idea. it sounds like he has good brain function just a bit of prior planning would have helped.
I know my mom took my grandfather back to his birthplace to visit family. she is always talking about it and he was so happy after the trip. of course their idea of running water was the creek near by... just a thought.

well not much else to say
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Dave, good to hear from you. I think if you force yourself at first that once you get started you won't want to stop. Once you get into it pretty soon you can feel yourself feeling better. Hope you do. Have a good one.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey guys, do you remember me telling you I was going to take cuttings of the blue hydrangea a few months ago. Well, they were in water a few days, then I moved them to soil and they are growing like little weeds. I am so excited. The temps are so difficult to control with this weather I was sure I would loose them too, but I did not. The one camellia survived also. And the sedum. I am so pleased. Just had to share.

Ah, JB and Dave are back!

Dave ~ I sure hope you feel better. I know personally, that I cannot be consistent enough to run a business, so I do not make that commitment. I love business, and would do it if I could. I hope that you feel well enough to at least take care of the projects that you have started. Sometimes that is all you can do. Jen may be right, though. Many times I feel awful and I get started in the garden or seed-starting, and I forget how awful I feel. Is there anyplace that you can go for walks? I think that helps too. (Just my 2¢ worth!)

JB ~ I love hydrangeas. That is wonderful that they all have roots now. You just started them in water? Did you put anything in the water?

Jen ~ How is your weather? Most of us are having a "heat wave" this winter. I know it won't last, or at least I don't think so. Some years it warms up in February and I think Spring is here. I know that this is not spring and winter is around the corner. At least I think it is. Most years you hear me complaining about winter, especially last year as it was so severe and it lasted so long. Some people think all zone 8's are alike. Not at all. It just is an average of minimum temperatures. And ours is 20°. But we never know when it will be here and how long it will last. Maybe Alaska is just taking all the snow....it sure is hard on them.

Amanda ~ I installed the modem to the desktop. I have been putting off this call to HP for almost a year, and shame on me. It still took almost 5 hours on the phone and a re-image of the hard drive to convince them it was not the software. As soon as they sent the modem, I opened the box and followed the instructions. Luckily for me, there were pictures, too. That helped me know how to put it back after I took it apart. If it wasn't for the laptop's modem breaking down, I don't know when I would have done it as I kept avoiding the unpleasant task of talking to people in India. It annows the H**L out of me that so many corporations are sending so much work overseas. That is a major contribution to our falling economy. I do not know why anyone can't see that. Oh, that's right, the corporations own the politicians. They are the ones that are driving so many of the small businesses out of commision. Whoops! No politics... LOL!!^_^ Oh, BTW, how is the basement and all of your plumbing now. Is it all fixed?

Sharon ~ How are you doing?

Dawn and Nancy ~ You must be watering like mad right now. I can't believe we have to water so much in December and January.

Linda ~ Are you warm there. too, right now?

I am sure I missed a lot of you so please, "pipe up".

(I probably should have sent this to the "back yard" - the chat thread. At least half of the comments, anyway...)

Have good day, everyone! ^_^

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 10:38 AM

Athens, PA

Oh Evelyn - Amen, amen, amen, amen. I couldn't agree more. I hate having to call Dell or Verizon- same deal. Drives me nuts.

We are supposed to get about 1-2" of snow tomorrow. I am thinking I need to get moving on my WS. I couldn't agree more though - you get monkeying around with seeds, plants or whatnot and soon you have forgotten about feeling on the not so hot side......

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Nice to see you Evelyn, glad you are o.k. and Carolyn, how the heck are you? Yes, I looked up how to propagate hydrangea and it said how to do it, but I got them cut and something came up and I did not get them in the soil, so I stuck them in water. At least a week passed and then I decided I had better get them in the soil, so I potted them using some rooting powder and kept them real wet. They are growing. Did not do anything the way the paper said except use the rooting powder. What can I say? Just lucky I guess.

Our weather here is crazy. It was in the 20s a few days ago, now it is nearly 60. Rainy and going to get real windy.
I gave up complaining. As long as it is not snow then who cares. Hugs to all and it is so good to see you all back.
I owe Dave an email but I have not had a chance to write it.

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

First off Hello everyone,I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not if not please just ignore it or point me in the right direction.I pruned my roses back a bit today and since the veggie garden was nice and tilled,I decided to stick the cuttings in there,I dipped them into some rooting hormone and stuck them,think this will work,and if so will they be ready by May to move to pots.Thanks for your help and again,I'm new here and if this wasn't the right place I apologize.
Tom

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Tom, I am sure someone will answer you. But just for kicks, Seedpicker in Texas has a wonderful tutorial on starting roses. It has been a few years, but I am sure you could either find it or she would send it to you. I will see if I saved it and send it to you.

Jeanette

For the rest of you, some place in there I have posted, but don't see it. This computer anyway!!

Ok Tom, I did save it and here it is: But, when I saw how long it is, I decided to send it to you via D-mail instead. Jeanette

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

Thankyou Jeanette,Seedpickers thread on rooting roses was very informative and probably the best tutorial on how to root roses I have read.I will definetly give this person's method a try this spring or fall.Tom

Pawleys Island, SC

Hi Tom,
It should work well there too. I might suggest mulching them heavily as well. I haven't seen the info on the tutorial, but I have found that when they are dormant is when they root the best for me.
Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.