What's doin in your neck of the woods today? Fall 2011

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I haven't done any Christmas shopping. I just have no idea what to get for anyone this year. Tomorrow we are headed down to Fredrick Md. to look at a new dog. A young mixed terrier for Ric. I have to tell Critter that we are headed her way.
Yesterday I put most of the house plants outside on the patio and sprayed them with a systemic insecticide.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

One big chore out of the way! I re-potted in individual pots all my leafed out, rooted brug cuttings.
I now have 26-- 5"pots to find room for!!! Also mailed 2 of the rooted Brug cuttings to Linda in GA.

Next I have to pot up all my Amaryllis bulbs...whenever......
Spent the better part of yesterday making a big pot of fresh Chicken Stock. Used all I had up over Th-Giving.
It sat in my fridge overnight--so I can skim off the fat. Then I will bag it up in Quart-sized, freezer zip bags and freeze them.

I took the Brug cuttings on Oct. 27, just 5 weeks ago.
Here is one of the bigger ones--one of the pink NOID's. Look at the roots it has grown!!!!
In just FIVE weeks!!! They filled a 6"pot.
Has to be the Pro Mix and being under the seed set-up lights.

You can see some of the potted up ones on the right.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

They are certainly healthy looking, Gita.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I picked up our new dog today. He doesn't have a name yet, He is approx 2yrs old mixed Carin Terrier.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Since we had to go to Fredricksburg to pick him up we got to stop by Critters house for a little while. That little Joyanna has really grown since we saw her last. She is just so smart, too. Not to mention that I also came home with some nice plants. I don't think you can visit Critter without coming home without some plants. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

What a cutie!!! He looks right at home.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

He's precious! Can't wait to hear what you name him.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Name????? ......................"Sparky".........
That is what I thought of--immediately......Gita

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What a little cutie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Cute little pup, Holly. Seems like all my kids bought their kids puppies this year. We had a houseful on Thanksgiving. They all bragged about how house broken the pups were as I kept wiping up the floors. Lots of fog here this morning. Glad I'm not forced to go anywhere.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

RRR--
I heard from Holly that you are the one to ask for a start of the "Blushing Suzy" vine.
Yes? I would love to have one next spring. I have the perfect place for it.

Do you have a picture?

Please let me know--D-mail is OK. Gita

I am only doing winter sowing this year Gita. I'll be too busy helping my daughter at her house in the spring to plant anything under lights. I have seeds for the Blushing Susie vines but I don't know for sure if they will winter sow. If I'm successful I'll take them to Holly's swap and will have one there for you.

Here they are mixed in with the Heavenly Blue morning glories. They never bloom before mid to late summer.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW That looks beautiful together.
Since you will be so busy this winter maybe I will try starting the Blushing Susies this year Roses. You have provided me with them the last few years maybe I can provide you with them this year.

Sounds good, Holly. Especially if I'm not too successful with winter sow.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Somebody somewhere asked me the name of my Nandina. The ones in the back yard are Firepower Nandina the tag reads that they will be 24-36 tall and wide.
The frost on the leaves this morning sure was pretty. I planted 10 of them in a row down one side of the dog yard area.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I also picked up two other ones earlier this year. I can't find the tag for them so I am not sure if they are also Firepower but they do look similar they are also planted in the dog yard area but they are against a different side of the yard.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I also have a Gulf Stream Nandina in the front yard. It should get a bit taller than the Firepower maybe 42" high but about the same width 23-36. It is still pretty small hoping this year was its creeping year and next year will be its leaping year. It has a definite difference in the look of the leaves from the Firepower. I can't seem to find a very good pic of the Gulf Stream but the leaves seem thinner more pointy than the fatter rounder leaves of the Firepower. It will be interesting to see as they grow how they compare.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very pretty!!!!

Nice color on those, Holly.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I have an old fashioned Nandina that is almost 10 feet tall and absolutely the best plant for the place it is in. Not many berries as almost full shade but it is always green and not "heavy". Nice pics. We finally had a freeze here but this week looks a bit above average temps. Have a great week all.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Lets continue checking in as winter approaches, over here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233857/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.