Critters Big and Small Vol.11

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Oh my GG, you came face to face with a bear, and you proved to be more intimidating then him!!! Why in the world did you have to scare him off like that, we wanted a picture of it. lol

Well Nanny, you didn't have any reason to be scared, with GG around. She's a bear Whisperer.
I'm glad the turtle made it across in one piece.

Margaret, that skunk is here every night and sometime early morning. You really don't know. what your missing. All that pungent "Parfum du Canada"is something out of this world. I could maybe market it. and send you all a sample.
I almost wore it one night, I open the back door to free a moth that I had raised, but the darn thing kept sticking to my finger and didn't want to go. I finally manage to gently pry it off, but it fell to the ground. when I looked down, to see where he had fallen, there was that skunk at my feet. I backed up in the garage and close the door. That was a bit to close for comfort.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2012 6:25 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
PERTH, Australia

Burn, your generosity is overwhelming. Thank you so much for the offer of the parfum, but I must decline. The postage would cost too much. Good for you with the moth.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL with y'all. Burn, down here we have Racoons, I guess that's as annoying as skunks, not particularly their parfume, mind you, it's just their behavior. Something I only like to admire from a distance. lol. Okay, here I've the elusive Preying Mantis.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

All the talk about bears but no pics...so..here y'all go. I took these several years ago @ 600mm + mind you...

Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

awwww. cute little bear!

Okay Margaret, if you are really interested in that parfum de canada, you can go take a whiff of a Frittilaria bulb. That's pretty darn close to the smell.

PERTH, Australia

Wow, Mike, great shots, but that 2nd one is amazing, they way it's resting comfortably on its paws.

LOL, Mrs Ed.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Love the bear shots Mike!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Real great shots of the bear, Mike. Thanks for sharing it.

Chipmunk munching on a pear core.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice catch of the munching chippie there Burn. :)

Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

Wildlife in my yard..... Corythucha marmorata nymphs (Chrysanthemum Lace Bug nymphs)

1. is the nymphs
2. shows the adult

Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great photography there Mike! They look incredibly errie! So they just feast on your Mums? (Chrysanthemum?).

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Neat looking nymph, love how clear your macro shots are. We see detail of the lace design.

Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks burn_2007

Quote from Lily_love :
Great photography there Mike! They look incredibly errie! So they just feast on your Mums? (Chrysanthemum?).

Thanks.

(ref: http://bugguide.net/node/view/51599 )
Feed on several species of plants of the daisy family, Compositae.

Life Cycle: Occurs on various composites in fields, chiefly goldenrod and asters. May severely injure chrysanthemums. (2)
Reported from Solidago, Aster, Ambrosia, Helianthus, Rudbeckia, Echinops (3)

This message was edited Jul 15, 2012 10:28 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Youngest GD and I were taking a walk around the neighborhood and spotted this doe. The next day I saw her with twin fawns. I suspect they are the ones eating our 'maters!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, how neat to enjoy nature with grandkid like so Nan. Hope you've some extra 'maters to share with the growing twins. Great Blue Heron this evening;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Ba.....d Doe yet so pretty, would that be a fawn in the grass not far from her?
Kim nice Heron, I can't get close enough to one, to get a good pic.

American Kestrel near my son's summer home.
And one of my heron shot.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice one of the Am. Kestrel Bernadette. I'm still looking forward to opportunity to photograph one in my area, but haven't yet. I do have the advantage with the GBHs however, being so close to the water. What are more difficult for me to get close up shot are Great Egrets. They're abundant here, but my camera can't catch a good in flight shot :((

Nice summer home, how is the weather there this time of year?

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Kim, the home you see, is not their, but their neighbors. The weather is very warm, we're in the 90F. It's not in the 3 digits, and I feel for those who are. No rain here in the pass few weeks, but about an hours drive from here they had severe Thunder storms and even hail. We might be getting some tomorrow.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow...amazing array of pics everybody!

During the Summer the deer mostly visit our yard at night (although we do see them during the day while driving around near home). This doe decided to stop by and visit so I obliged her by putting out some whole corn for a snack (naturally she kept her distance till I went back in the house).

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Burn...no fawn in the grass ...those are bunnies! No doubt the fawns were nearby tho.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I found this critter while at the beach last week, it is actually dead, but still thought it was a great photo op, the fly is a bonus. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

sunkissed, nice specimen of the crab, couldn`t tell it was dead from that pic, and great bonus. lol
Great shots of the Doe, Nuts.

I will start a new thread, this one is getting long. Thanks for a wonderful mix of wildlife everyone:
Follow this link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272464/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.