Critters Big and Small Vol.11

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We came from here in case you would like to revisit http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1201443/

With the onset of fall and rut season about to begin the deer are out and about a lot right now. I hadn't seen our "spring doe" since early July. The last time I saw her she had a very visible limp. She showed up yesterday in the neighbors garden with 3 or 4 fawns(or possible at least one small yearling) with her. I have know way to be sure if one of them is hers or not. But she is still limping badly so I fear the damage is permanent. I will worry about her all winter now.

She is on her way out here.......

This message was edited Oct 11, 2011 11:48 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Was trying to determine if this is a young buck. If it is, this may be her fawn and soon he will be pushed out on his own.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Young doe......

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Another enjoying the garden!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

awwwww.....time to go!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

So beautiful, Nanny. I'm sure the neighbor's must not enjoy them as much though. ;) Thanks for the new thread.

A dragonfly, they were very busy reproducing last month.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Mating dragonfly.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

How sweet Nanny, I love the peering from behind the tank at you. The animals seem to adapt to things like that. I can't tell you how many birds I see living normally with only one leg around here. They do learn how to take advantage though and know people feel sorry and so they play the sympathy card...it is pretty obvious because they'll come right up to us thinking we'll give them food.

Burn the dragon flies have been mating here also, two were on my hammock, I tried to get a picture because I thought it funny to see them on the hammock...but they got spooked and took off...still together mind you...lol.

Here is a critter in my backyard...don't think I've posted it here, have on other photo pages...a very pretty skink.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Since we go camping in our RV I see FL deer often. I always take my camera on my walks through the woods...this is one of my favorite shots of the many deer pics I have.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

I love watching dragonflies...didn't see as many this year here. Nice shots burn!

That is so cute sunkissed! I have seen deer everyday since last Saturday when I walk our dog around the neighborhood.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wonderful pics. everyone. I'm so jealous of those that get to see Deers in close proximity. I occassionally spot them from a distance. By the time I fumbling for my camera they would be long gone. lol Great jobs! Love those dragonflies too burn.

Was camping last week and was photographing wildflowers when out of the woods next to the field I was in came a running buck. He put on his brakes and came to a stop snorting at me and we both were taken by surprise. I didn't know if he was going to charge me or what...but had the camera in my hand and on...so I quick took a picture of him. He turned and took off and I'm sure he was just glad the camera wasn't a gun. I've never been that close to a buck before and sure he had never been that close to a human before.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Awesome photo!! I have run into a couple of bucks here and there and you do have to be careful....especially during rut season. We had an older on that would just look and move on, But there is a younger one now and he is more aggressive. He will stomp and snort and move towards me. I head his warnings and I move on ...quickly!

While kayaking got a great couple shots of a great blue heron

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Here is a great clear shot showing the full breeding plumage...what a beautiful water bird...

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, sunkissed. I've seen many-a GBRs before, but haven't been so lucky to capture one that's in breeding plumage. Sure is a grant looking bird! Beautiful Buck shot above. Nan, uh I wished not to be so close to 'em bucks. lol

A Tri-colored Heron and turtles while kayaking in the Wekiwa River

Thumbnail by sunkissed

A close up of the Tri-colored Heron...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily I do have to say it was one of the greatest I've ever seen also...and it didn't seem to care about me photographing, guess they are used to kayakers taking their pictures.

And of course what is a kayak ride without seeing a gator...just a little four footer, but all we saw out there...which is okay by me...lol.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Aye ya! My knees feel weak just thinking seeing those gators in person. lol

nanny if you look close enough you can see his nostrils flared up...yeah I couldn't do much but hope he'd go back into the woods...I mean we were both face to face long enough for me to get the picture, but glad I got the picture...one I'll always remember the story behind it.

Lily my DH loves to kid around with me and try to get a closer look at them...but I always remind him of the paddle I have in my hand and wouldn't feel to good to get walloped with it...Him...not the gator...my brother did that once...he said he'd never do that again. :--(

Sunkissed...yeah not much you can do...I have had a couple of those surprise run ins while in the woods! Fantastic shots from you kayaking...Gorgeous Herons....all of them!

PERTH, Australia

Hello all. I tend to neglect this forum, which I should rectify, because there are amazing critters that I never see.

Yesterday, I went to a town 200km south of Perth. I stopped by the Leschenault Inlet on the way down and again on the way back. Lots of kangaroos with joeys. I have 4 shots to share.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This one jumped over towards me to show off her prize.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Another with legs and a tail sticking out of her pouch.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

The big bulge on the one closest to the camera has a joey snuggled deep in her pouch. The one in front of and just behind that one has the joey poking its head out.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Love them all Margaret. My favorite is the mama showing you her baby. Too cute. Gosh, they are powerful animals.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wowwies! How socialized those mummies are! How precious. Margaret, do they just give birth and raise one "Joey" at a time? How neat is that?

PERTH, Australia

They really are powerful, GG. Those back legs can easily disembowel.

Kim, the roos will typically have a joey in the pouch and an almost embryonic little one semi-permanently attached to a teat inside the pouch. The female will give birth to a joey, which at birth is about the size of a jelly bean and looks nothing at all like a kangaroo. The embryonic new-born will make its way up its mother's belly into the pouch, where it will lock on to a nipple and remain there, growing slowly over several months. In the meantime, its older sibling will continue to grow and eventually become too large for her pouch, which then allows the developing joey to occupy the pouch and then the mother will give birth again and the cycle is repeated. I hope I've got that right.

Oh I love the photos, what an attractive animal...and very interesting facts of the babies. What a remarkable site to see in person. Thanks for sharing the photos Margaret.

Oh wow....So glad you got those shots and posted them here!!! AWESOME!!! We would love to see more critters from Oz here!

PERTH, Australia

A pleasure, sunkissed and nanny. The kangaroos are also amazingly soft to the touch. I wouldn't try petting a roo in the wild because I'm rather attached to my intestines, but in large wildlife parks, the roos are so tame that they can be approached with ease.

Hmmmmmmmmmm! So, Margaret that is a polite way of saying you do not want the crap kicked out of you??

PERTH, Australia

Yes, that's one way of putting it. LOL. Actually what an aggressive roo will do is rear back, using its strong tail as a support and will kick forward with its hind legs. The centre toe is huge and can rip another roo or a hapless human apart. They will also use there front legs to do a bit of "boxing" with, but its the hind legs that can do enormous damage.

By the way, nanny, I thought of you the day before yesterday. I was "down south" and was talking to a guy as I was watching an osprey nest (surprise surprise). A jogger came past and he called to her to watch out as he'd just seen a very large tiger snake (deadly) close by. Without missing a beat, she said "cheers" as she jogged on by, avoiding the grassy part where the snake had last been seen. You learn to live with their presence and take the necessary precautions - such as long grass near water.

She was either very brave or very stupid. Upon hearing that warning, I would have had three options; jump the grass and jog on water; retreat, or end up in the nest with the Osprey!! I am absolutely terrified of snakes of any kind!!

NO....one does not learn to live with them!! l would have said "cheers" & promptly made a U turn back the way I came! lol

A few of you have already seen this....This is at a nearby farm I drive by on one of my routes into town. They have a bit of everything so we all call it MacDonald's Farm.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

And goats...which I just love. I want to have goats sooo baaad!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56

A neighbors dog...Bear!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

LOL, what an hilarious bunch.

Margaret nice set of photos and great info with it.

Nanny love the dog, he look more like a wolf then a dog. :)

sunkissed, love the Heron shots and your skink.

I finally got my laptop.That was a long wait. I have a bunny to share.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.