What's Blooming in Your Garden VII

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

The Hydrangea pictured above is from burger kings garden, where i work, and garden! :) some of the other hydrangeas I've shown are my own in my yard, but from time to time i post Whats blooming at the Bk. :) i think the blue eyed grass we planted is still blooming too! I'll have to look tomorrow.
Here is my sedum, maybe autumn joy? I love this color and hope to get a few more. :) this was from a plant cycle meeting so i had no idea what color it would be. I'd like a very fire red one i saw recently driving by someone garden.

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

birder17, I like you'd be interested to know more about asters and its culture. OH81. Love that sedum. Once upon a time I have had 'autumn joy' in the garden as well.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is some winding down of color in the garden. Will be back with more pix after dindin-- that's in short for dinner. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The above pic. was that of a flowering maple, abutilon. But which cultivar I'm not sure.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More of the Pineapple sage. A Fall blooming variety.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Even though the eastern U.S. has a lot of acid soil, a hydrangea can bloom pink if it is against a house because of lime leaching from the foundation. I have one on each side of a handicappers ramp at the museum. This year one turned pink. I think it picked up some lime from surrounding soil that needed it for what I was growing there.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I live in alkaline land, woodspirit 1. When I moved in the ph was 7.9. Years of composting change clay over hardpan into lovely soil, but I still have to acidify plants like bayberries and fothergillas.

I understand that the Engelmann's aster blooms in the summer. It has white flowers and something that at least looks like it pops up in my yard in summer..

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Same here donna! I literally live on a limestone slab in front of a limestone quarry. CLR is my best friend since we're on well water. Lol just spent hours cleaning my coffee mai am hoping to get some gigantic containers for a few hydrangeas so i can have a blue one. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Our soil is known to be acidic. But, in my very own garden. I've to confess, I haven't checked its pH in years. Some of my hydrangeas turned pink, other blue, and every spectrum in between. lol But that was early in the season. Right now every single one of them are about to turn bronze and goes into hypernation--so to speak. I'm so glad that they're now just reaching their peak of blooms else where. See how we can learn from one another in different locals?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sporadical late bloomer, here is an unknown rose.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Mollineaux, Chrysler Imperial, Fredrick Mistral, The McCarthy, and Carefree Beauty roses are all still in bloom here. It's so fun to look out and see all those big beautiful blooms--not to mention putting your nose in them! Ahhhh

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a treat! I was just given the most amazing plant by a couple who are moving overseas who gave me this plant.. I think it's a type of epiphyte, but not a bromeliad. It's been blooming for months. I need to do some research.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Let's try that again!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

That looks like an Aechmea, and it is a Bromeliad.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have other bromeliads, and they are much simpler looking. I wondered if this was from the same family, and now i know.

Thanks!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The exotic bromeliads are quite stunning beauty. I've what is known as 'Queen's Tears' and I just love those colorful blooms.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Garden Mum, second year. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, they make me nostalgic. Mums were my first venture into gardening, in 1995!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Donna, that bromeliad is pretty cool!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I feel really lucky!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is my Rudbeckia Cherokee sunset, which I have grown from seed. I planted them in pots, so I can bring them in when cold comes

Thumbnail by kiseta
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Black and blue salvia, I got 6 of them on the distressed table, 5 is doing well, hope they come back next year. Dos anyone knows if they loose leafs in the winter, or stay green??

Thumbnail by kiseta
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

this is Lantana Athens Rose, it is a upright lantana, it have not stoped blooming since I got 4 on sale , planted them against the fence it will get 3-4 feet tall.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This year I discovered purple Veronica, coreopsis and Angelonia. They all done well in the heat and the dry wether. Next year I will have Pink Veronica, called First love, I got 6 the other day on sale.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They say if you can do it , it is not braging, so I am sending a picture of Agastache grape nectar, they are still small, I bought 6 on sale, (sales been god to me this year.) hope next year will be in full bloom with the pink lantana, I planted them close together.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kisela, you have a wonderful eye for sales! You got great plants.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from kiseta :
Black and blue salvia, I got 6 of them on the distressed table, 5 is doing well, hope they come back next year. Dos anyone knows if they loose leafs in the winter, or stay green??

kiseta,

I assume we share a very similar climate. Mine (B & B salvias) and other perennial ones will die down to the ground. They return every year, and more healthier than the previous year. I hope that helps. Oh, I avoid pulling on them or cut them back, the brown spent stalks help insulate the plants from the winter's chills. I recommend mulch them to protect them further, then pull the mulch away in early spring. Only clean out the area by pruning them, but do not pull on them.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, I'm going to share a series of photos tittle "What's Blooming, but not in MY garden". Hope you'll will enjoy them. From a nature walk I visited this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Morning Glory that stays open right onto mid day?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here are a few plants blooming in my woodland garden.
This is rabdosia. Just started blooming.
Usually blue, but there are white and lavender cultivars.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This is a new cyclamen for me, cyclamen mirabile.
I've just had it for 1 year. It's blooming now.
It's a smaller plant than c. hederifolium.
I like the 'shredded petal' look.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This is a hardy coleus, plectranthus kameba.
I've had it for about 5 yrs. It's perfectly hardy here and has a late bloom (now).
It reseeds a little, but so far not a nuisance.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This is a woodland aster (aster diveraticus).
Nice to be able to grow asters in the woods.
Not the greatest picture, but gives an idea of the bloom.
Flowers are smaller, not as showy as the sunny boys.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Finally, this is a japanese woodland perennial, leucosceptrum japonicum.
Maybe not the showiest of plants, but for this time of year, nice to have any bloom.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

MG and Goldenrods.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Robin, I'm so glad you've shared that photo of aster diveraticus. I just purchased that very plant from the nature center which proceed will help maintaining the great work there.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More of the Morning Glories.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here goes some more woodland asters.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is the mentioned aster divaricatus;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Andover, MN(Zone 3b)

Love Lisabees oregano pictured near top of this thread. And Lily, the double blooming coneflower is amazing. My favorite rose is Double Delight and this picture shows the last bloom of this season; we had a hard frost 3 weeks ago so lucky to get this one. Hoya and my new garden hat for contrast.

Thumbnail by maithyme

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.