What's Blooming in Your Garden VII

Athens, PA

Lisa

Thank you, It is knautia. I went to a RU a couple of years ago and had asked for the knautia macedonia. The pastels were extras - I glommed on to them quickly because I love the way they intermingle with other plants. Knautia also blooms most of the year for me which is an added bonus....

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Cool, Carolyn - my knautia is dark red, I didn't know it came in pastels!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have looked at knautia in the seed catalogs for years. I have determined it would not grow here as it does not like humidity.

The cyclamens are beautiful. Lucky you, to find a place they enjoy. A lot of times that's the challenge of growing flowers---finding a spot they like.

For some reason, posts that are written after I post, don't show up for a few days on the home page. As for the pictures, I just don't get out there with my camera often enough. I really should take some pictures. My camera is just a point and shoot. This fall has been spectacular. They mentioned a hard freeze this Friday, so that may be the end of the flowers. I also noticed I have Nicotania blooming.

The woodland flowers are so pretty. The color on the Rabdosia is fantastic. I am going to do some research on that one!

I have a shaded spot but haven't been able to find much that will grow in that little garden. It gets quite a bit of shade, is really wet when it rains and gets really dry through July and August. Plus, we have quite a bit of humidity through the summer and the soil is relatively clay. It's right next to the house. Suggestions anyone?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Regarding pine needles: I have purchased bales of pine needles in the past from a local gardener. They are small bales and work great for mulch. They do have a lot of weeds seeds in them, however. I have also picked up sacks of leaves (not pine) around the neighborhood. Again, they have lots of weeds seeds in them. And yet, if you don't mulch you get lots of weed seeds. :(
I don't put mulch down as heavily as I used to because my little annuals have a tough time re-seeding as well. If it is an all perennial bed and/or shrubs, then mulching heavily is great.
Pine needles do add acid to the soil and the Azaleas and dogwoods love it.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't have any pictures, but my knockout roses, blaze roses and phlox 'david' and phlox 'shortwood' are still blooming here in zone 6b. i also have a lot of random things blooming, like verbascum "southern charm" and delphiniums.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

pgt, that sounds wonderful. Wished you've had pics. to share. Here is some of mine. Late bloomers in the season. My crossvine 'Tangerine Beauty'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sasanqua Camellia 'Pink Snow'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, after our first mix/snow here in 5a, I'm amazed that my aster still looks gorgeous -- such a treat for the butterflies and bees when pretty much everything else has given up the ghost -- here it is on October 28 on the right. Now the roses are done, as are the mums, but the aster is still hanging in there -- Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

dax, those late bloomers bring so much joy. They're here to remind us of the spring to come after the winter of rest. Your asters, is one of my OOA (Object of affection). Did you have to stake them up in a ring support of some sort? Love those 'Firebush' they're 'ablaze' at the end of the growing season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Getting further away from the blossoms, we're now in season for colorful berries.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Yep - the asters have a square cage that is set permanently, makes life much easier and prettier -- here's a closer pic -- when I lift just one flowering stem, it must weigh 5 llbs!

Thumbnail by dax080
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some late blooming clematis, H.F. Young clem. I think. (neighbor's yard).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

my Cherokee Sunset rudabeckia is still blooming, I raised them from seed, maybe I will collect some seeds again and plant them in the garden next Spring. I have been planting pansies all week, and planting for the first time oriental lillies in containers.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Berries on viburnum opulus

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

kiseta, love the 'daisy' late blooms. The oriental lillies are going to be dazzling. Donna, love your viburnum opulus berries.

Common dogwood's berries out the window.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I guess my only Dahlia dicided to bloom after all. It is tall and only has 2 flowers. I wish I can grow some more, but I think it is too hot in Augusta for dahlias, I have seen some nice ones at the Dillard house in Dillard Ga. mountains.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Like you, kiseta. I am a fan of Dahlias but haven't had much experience with them. I think it depends on the microclimate we're. I've seen some of the gardeners in my zone with beautiful Dahlia. Yours looks very nice with the picket fence as a frame work. Nicely done.

More berries, this I think is one of the pyracanthas (?). (neighbor's yard).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Etelka -

gorgeous dahlias - I just love the form.....

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

This plant seems to refuse to stop blooming. It is Buddleia Blue Chips.

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Green and Gold mum. I have never found the mum plants to be very pretty but these have shinier leaves and I love the gold edging. It is blooming now, even after 2 or 3 nights below 32 deg.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Athens, PA

WS - that is very pretty!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those Pacific mums aren't very showy, however. I found their foliage attractive.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Fatsia japonica in blooms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I find the green and gold very showy because of so many blooms. I pinched them back twice while they were growing and they were really bushy with huge rounded heads of flowers.
This mum multipies pretty quickly, almost invasivey so. I will some to share next spring.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's so beautiful, woodspirit! I'd rather have one of those than a dozen typical mums.

ask me in spring and I will send 2 or 3.

What a sweet offer, thank you. I'll look for them here in spring and, if I can't find them, and provided I actually remember, I'll send you a Dmail. They are stunning.

will do.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Most of my loropetalum got fried by a couple frosts.
But, lo and behold, if you look deep inside, it's still cranking out blooms.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And while most of my plants are settling in for a long winter's sleep,
a few march to a different drummer.
Here is my daphne odora 'Zuiko nishiki' setting blooms.
Unfortunately it's not really hardy for blooms here - the plant survives,
but the blooms will never look as good as they do today.
The fat buds look nice most of the winter.
It blooms mid-February around here, but the edges of the blooms always have cold-injury.
Not entirely successful.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
(Zone 4b)

I would love to have a Buddleia Blue Chip in my garden and it isn`t in there for any lack of trying on my part.

I say in the past 3 or 4 years I have planted probably 4 of these plants. None ever survive more than 2 seasons. ĢI am convinced that they truly are not hardy to zone 5 as is advertised.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is my first year growing the Buddleia Blue chip. I am very pleased with its performance. I was looking into getting a different color. I understand that they are just a small version of the Butterfly Bush.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

For those interested in Knautia I have source: TMSEEDS.com. Knautia macedonica Meltons Pastels, 3-4ft., Blue,pink, rose, mauve, salmon and crimson, z5-9, #90960, 30 seeds $4.99. These were are a T&M exclusive....Donna vib. Opulus is beautiful, I have one to get into the ground yet. Glad to see the autumn color is soo vibrant. Gorgeous....Weer Oh YUMMY, Daphne is the best!!!!! I want to try in a couple of years, after I get some things done, want one close to the house just for the fragrance, yummmm. Have you thought about covering in the spring with remay if hard freeze is still lingering?

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Athens, PA

I love knautia - I have the pastels and then some of the magenta red like the one you have above. I was going to collect seeds from them, but we got hit with that bit of freeze and snow in late October.

I love the way the knautia has the long bendy stems. It intermingles with the other flowers so very well.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I have several babies from reseeding at feet of mother, I love the color, is very unusual, will have to try in other colors one of these years, lol. I love the scabiosa for same reason also, I have talll in blue and white and a shorter var. ochulara in lemon yellow. Love those filler flowers. Love flowers that move in the breezes, like catanche both blue and white, also Gaura l. ( got varigated var. this fall, was told is hardier than Siskiu (sp), hope so.) Has anyone ever grown Donald Wyman fishing wands, sorry can't remember what it is tho, only common name, duh, lol. Thought I memorized that seed catalog, lol. Might be something like Dierama. Lol. Kathy . Oh yah, flax is another that looks great in the breezes,especially in the afternoon when the petals carpet the ground in blue.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Just the thought of flowers moving in the wind is so appealing. When do the Knautias bloom - late June?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those late bloomers are all welcome this time of year. I so love those double coneflowers! Hi Arlene and everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

You know Arlene, I cannot remember when the knautia started, but I do know that it bloomed for a long time. I would have to go back and check my pictures, but I believe it was also flowering in my aster Jenny as well....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Baby Blanket' roses;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Let's all come to join in the new thread ; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1231153/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.