What's Blooming in Your Garden VII

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Thank you! Yes, I used to have Kent beauty too, another nice one (not sure why it's gone, hm)! I also have hopflower oregano, but like these flowers better.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome to the thread, lisabees. All those are very delicately beautiful! But, the colchicum waterlily is unique!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I should have mentioned the colchicum too. I have never seen one in a yard - only in catalogs. It was almost a fantasy plant, especially in groups. And I agree, the delicacy of all three is wonderful. I love the cool colors in a garden. They sparkle in sun or shade.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pic. taken yesterday.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some perennial 'sunflowers'?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Red Turk's caps.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

heuchera caramel....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

NOID Yellow spider mum starting to open.....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

NOID Mum...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

dahlia bonne esperance

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

The last of Aster Jenny....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

So pretty! The soft light of fall really transforms everything.

Athens, PA

Hydrangea Endless Summer - the blooms are huge!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Impatiens balsamina in a pot. I started a second set this year, to have them as early fall color. When I start them earlier they bloom themselves out.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Athens, PA

zinnia violet queen

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

We crossposted. What a difference ph makes - here is my Endless Summer in July.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Athens, PA

Donna - I love the color of the impatiens...

Athens, PA

Donna - a lady several blocks down from me has an Endless Summer and hers' is pink as well.....

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Garden balsam, above, with it's patio tomato companion.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Do you acidify yours?

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

A couple of different Aconitums are blooming for me right now. Here's Aconitum carmichaelli 'Cloudy'.

Thumbnail by gregr18
Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Here's Aconitum japonicum that I got from Asiatica before it closed. It has bloomed after leaf-drop.

Thumbnail by gregr18
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Carolyn, lovely. I'm really in love with the asters. I've seen wild ones in our woods, those that are cultivated in the garden. Can they take some shade and well irrigation. Or do they prefer dried lean soil? I've bought a pot, and not knowing where is a suitable place for them the flower in my shady garden. And the 'Endless Summer' hydrangea. It does live up to its name plus some, doesn't it? For summer has ended, but it's still going strong.

Donna, those balsamina impatiens. I've found whatever cultivars in the circulation flowers their heart out. But those seedlings came back the subsequent year. They don't bloom as well.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't know aconitums came in such a pleasing color. Here they are usually in dark purples that make them look, well, a bit sinister. And your have a pretty shape. I almost mistook it for a delphinium.

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Hi Donna, 'Cloudy' is an interesting cultivar, it does have the lighter almost tie-dyed flowers. It's probably the easiest Aconitum to grow that I've worked with. The Japanese aconitum is very fussy, and looks almost sky blue in natural light.

Also, for the aster lovers, this is a New England Aster called 'Purple Dome'.

Thumbnail by gregr18
Athens, PA

Aconitums are on my list of 'must try'..... I love the late season color and these are so striking.

Kim - my asters are in full sun. I did receive Jenny in a trade 2 years ago and now, she is huge - probably close to 3 feet around. I have bought some lighter purple and darker purple asters to put with Jenny with the idea they should all accent each other.

Donna - I don't acidify my Endless Summer. I do find it interesting that several blocks from me, they are apparently alkaline. Makes me wonder if that lady added anything to her soil....

Here is the last of the calla blooms. I was quite surprised to see Calla Amethyst....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Carolyn & Donna, gorgeous Endless summers! Interesting how different the color can be. Hydrangeas just don't grow like that here in Colorado, so I'm a bit jealous.

I went out with my camera again this afternoon to see what I could find. Here's phlox 'Becky Towe'

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Cyclamen

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Lilylove, I didn't see an answer to your question about asters. They are pretty undemanding but they do need sun. I think in the shade they're going to be floppy & not bloom that well. If you have mostly shade, just pick the sunniest spot you can. Here are some of mine (with rudbeckia petering out in the background). This pic is actually from last week, so those poor rudbeckia are pretty much done now.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2011 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by lisabees
(Zone 7a)

Love ALL the pics! Thanks for sharing, everyone.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks all for your responses on raising Asters. Love those pics. as well here kwanjin. Please everyone keep those pics. coming. Here is some 'encore' Azaleas, their Fall's debut. The spring blooms were awesome, but the late waves of blooms are very nice. As if it's waving farewell for the growing season which will end soon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

My Bk garden! Lol endless summer? Not sure, but whatever it is it's still growing strong blooming like it didn't even notice the frost this am.

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

OH81, was that the same one that started out showing lime green florets earlier? Beautiful!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I planted this 'double blooming' cone flowers in the season. Although the first wave of blooms were long gone. This morning I found one lone blossom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sometimes the late, unexpected treats are the best - the Endless summer that laughed at the frost, the last double coneflower...

We reached 80 degrees yesterday, and we will be close to that all week. 15 degrees above normal. Maybe to make up for our icy spring!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

You've just about to sum it all up in that short statement. I'm thankful for all the seasons.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A stray seedling of impatiens that I didn't have the heart to pull it out off the pathway. lol Now it's giving joy of colorful blossoms. In fact, I have many impatiens in the garden. Although an annual, I don't remember last time I planted a fresh crop. So this is just the offsprings of previous years' planting.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Zone 7a)

It's the little surprises that make Life interesting, isn't it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Well put, kwanjin. Likes the rainbow that came after the rain. Likes a beautiful butterfly taking flight for the first time. No worries, no baggages/burdens to carry just be liberated, and joy with the sun shine and open sky. Here I've angel trumpet with Clerodendron urgandense (I think, blue butterfly is the common name).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Do all asters bloom in the fall? I have a plant that blooms last of July or there abouts. I thought it was an aster, but I know asters are supposed to be fall bloomers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.