What's Blooming in Your Garden VII

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's time for a new thread as the season is changing, some of us further North has experienced their first frost, where as in the deep South we gardeners still keep our eyes peeled for first frost forecast for the season. Please continue to share your gardens' photos with us.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1215768/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is the wild-forest of our cottage garden, which will under go drastic transformation in a few weeks as I'm getting ready to plant our Spring Bulbs garden -- again. Yes again, for I haven't done so in several years. So hang loose and enjoy the process with me.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Few late blooming of Four o'clock. The plants is very controversial It's a love-hate kinda plant. Those love them for their beneficial property of 'warding off' Japanese beetles. Those that hate them, think they're invasive. I fall in the former group who love these plants. But if you take on the later group's position. I can respect that as well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What's not to love?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Zone 7a)

I'm firmly in the 'I love them.' camp. I wouldn't have garden without 4 O'clocks.

Our hummers are gone but I leave the feeder up until the end of Oct. for the migrators from farther north.

Lovely, lovely pics.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine are in bud now. I started them late. I purchased them over the years and separated them into colors. My garden balsam is also blooming. Here is a pic from a couple of years ago. I just love the pinky lavender.

They are far less invasive further north, because our shorter season results in fewer tubers. But there are plenty of seeds around!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

4 o'clock

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hummer yesterday

Thumbnail by jmorth
Athens, PA

I have asters and mums flowering. If it would stop raining long enough, I could get some pictures to post...

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

mistflower

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 7:28 PM

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

blue mg with friend

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 7:30 PM

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

coneflower

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I just bought 5 Veronicas, called First love, will planted this week, it is shorter then a purple Veronica, but my bees love them. Already started with pansys, I like the small ones that I found in lots of different colors and they smell good in the evening. Here is the Veronica First love

Thumbnail by kiseta
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

monarch cats on tropical milkweed

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

white salvia

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 7:29 PM

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

red turk's cap

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 7:29 PM

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

pink turk's cap

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

blackfoot daisy

Thumbnail by catzgalore
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes! this thread is rocking with everyone's vibrant colors of blooms. Please keep those photos coming everyone.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

This is Don Juan. I love it for the perfectly shaped blooms and its fragrance

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Mmmmm!!!! I love Don Juan! I can just imagine the smell and hope I'll get at least one more bloom this year. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I too, like OH81, have 'Don Juan' in the garden. Woodspirit1, that entittled itself for a frame as you had it. Beautiful!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

That truelly is a gorgeous photo. :)

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, sadly, I couldn't keep it here at home. It just wouldn't do well; not enough sun. So I transplanted Don Juan this spring to our little museum where I am a very active volunteer and do a lot of the gardening. It only bloomed a little but now seems to be settled in and is doing well. I think tonight is the last night of the year as we will probably get frost. I will have to cut brugs in the a.m.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

those monarch cats are adorable!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Woodspirit1, I can relate with your concern of sun/shade issues in the garden. I'm slowly adjusting to my steep learning curves of what I wanted for my garden, and what my garden can accomodate my desires. Besides, small trees over the years have grown bigger, so places where I used to have sunny spots now they've become a 'woodlands shady area'. Best wishes with your Fall projects.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Late blooming butterfly bush is a bonus. :)) How I prolonged the blooms, is that I deadhead their spent blooms every-so often to encourage it to produce new ones all through the growing season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I hope this isn't off topic but "growing" in my garden two years ago at about this time was this little guy. He was climbing on my hardscape, and I was afraid that one of the many birds in my yard would make him lunch.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's a wooley bear caterpillar. I offered him a lift to the ground.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Which he gracefully accepted.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Off to his new home. Headed straight for the ornamental grasses.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Our garden is so rich in beauty. We're very diverse so any topic is a welcoming topic. Donna. I think you're really brave, did the 'hairy fella' sting your hand? lol On the other hand I do enjoy butterflies and moths.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

They don't sting do they? As a child i picked up many of them. Never been stung. Lol not sure how i became so grossed out by caterpillars as i got older but i still think the woolly bear is cute. Won't touch em but they're cute....

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

No, he didn't! He was on the wall for some time, and obviously confused. But mind you, I didn't pick him up! I just extended my finger and he climbed on board. It must have taken him forever to get to the top of the wall. And he really is cute! Of course, I had fun with caterpillars on my parsley a few weeks before, so his little biological group had already gotten a heads up from me. They looked gorgeous amongst the salvia, nibbling on my parsley flowers.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Zone 7a)

I agree wholeheartedly with Lily. A diverse garden is a perfect garden.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh! That's parsley flowers?! I was going to ask what that combo was, how pretty. :)

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Those caterpillars sure are busy eating that parsley! Here's what's blooming for me now, waterlily colchicum:

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Asters and Autumn Joy sedum of course:

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Amethyst Falls oregano:

Thumbnail by lisabees
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Lisabees, all of your images are lovely but the oregano blew me away. I used to grow Kent Beauty. Yours is just as lovely - I should get both!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.