October Weather - Time to get ready for Winter.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Sunkissed, your squirrels are nice...I have a huge doggie who is digging every night in my veggie garden...grrr! I need to take a picture of it!
Nice, warm day today, still no rain.
My asters are blooming big time.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and breezy today. Rain coming sometime in the next few days they say. I'll believe it when I see it.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

We are having off and on showers here due to strong east winds and a tropical low to the south. The last three days were lovely barely making it to 80... and we enjoyed our fire pit again the last two nights. But we were going camping in St. Augustine for five days and were to leave Sunday. We are waiting until tomorrow to totally decide but looks like we are going to have to cancel, I don't want to sit in the motor home all day long. Also winds predicted to be up to 30 and too high for driving the motor home on the roadway. Nice thing about being retired is we can always wait out the storms. :)

Our fire pit the other night...DH says he's gonna build us permanent one real soon...this one is about on its last leg.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

WINDY today..gusts form south up to 60mph.
Sunkissed - we have been warmer than you this week? Wow! high 80's all week (which is just fine with me!)
high 70's today with rain on the way tomorrow. Too windy for a fire - and too many warnings/restrictions as well because we are so dry. Almost a month (or longer) since we've seen real rain.

Similar weather to minnesippi but with highs in the 80s. Under burn ban also due to being so dry.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Well I cancelled the camping trip..gonna be wet and windy until about Tuesday. Rained hard all night long, but I like to sleep to the sound of rain on the roof. We don't get hard all night rains that often.
Minnie and pepper I hate fire bans...they happen here in our cooler weather time when you want to have a fire. Hope you all get some rain soon.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

66 riht now, overcast. Sitting on the deck with my coffee and my critters...waiting for the rain. Weather is shooting for 77 today.
One more cup of coffee and i will start tootin around in the garden if its not raining. Have some sorry looking plants that are screaming for water.

Windy with temps in the 80s again. A bit too hot for me right now. I want the temps back in the 70s.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi EVERYONE!!!!! Wow! Y'all have been busy! It is good to hear from everyone. Nice plants! Seems like there is bad weather everywhere.......either too much rain, or not enough.....temps in the high eighties here again.....we are still 24" (Yep....2 feet under the rain level we need.....very dry.) Sorry to hear about the headaches. You should have been weened off of the Zoloft. I weened myself off, so not so much withdrawals. I know it helped, but I was like a ZOMBIE. I think much clearer, faster without it.....well, most of the time.....DS would take offense to that last statement. haha.

I didn't think I had been gone that long. But it has been a week! I have been underthe weather......literally....Ragweed, I guess, I have an Upper Respiratory infection that will NOT go away. So I guess I will have to go to the Dr. this next week. Was sick last Sun. so didn't go to Lunch with my DD. Do not want to get her sick. She is on a new job, can't afford to miss any work!

Kittens are soooooo adorable. Reminds me why I fell in love with my two. We got them when they were four days old. Eyes not even opened. They have never seen their own mother. They were bottled fed around the clock for weeks at Daughter's house. Instead of hearing their Mother's meow, they heard kids screaming "Mom", so I guess their little brains recorded human sounds instead of "Meow". You should talk to them alot as well as love on them.

Ours were rescued from a warehouse where one of their brother's were killed by a forklift. DD has one, we have two, all others (BOYS also) were given away.

Dusty literally calls me "MA." He can say it in several tones from the short to the very long "Ma....ah ah ah" if he is upset it's "Ma...ahahah NOW!" Then you know he's had it.

I tell him, "IN A MINUTE!" He'll only take that for awhile before he starts over. He'll throw his weight (all 16 lbs +) at the door so the door bangs back and forth. He's very demanding, neglected, and vocal when he does not get attention. He OWNS this house, all in it, and runs it well! Rusty complains rarely, but when he does, better go see what he wants. He will complain if the litter box is not clean or if something is amiss. Then he very quietly meows, "mere.......". Because I tell them "mere" instead of come here!

Enough about the cats....I could write a whole blog about them. They are precious, entertaining, and very loving. They are now 7 yrs old. unbelievable.

Hope everyone has a great week! ( We do love the cooler weather thanks!!!!)

Jeanne

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Rain never came today. Good thing I watered this morning. Went to a corn maze with the DH & kids, then to an orchard, picked pumpkins and apples. Made a "throw it together" pie thing - cooked in on the grill. burnt the graham cracker but the kids loved it. Then made an apple crunch and a grocery list for everything else I am planning on making - both apple & pumpkin. YUM!!

Kittens are fighting over nipples as I type...Tweek doesnt like it and looks to DH (her surrogate) for help. She keeps rolling and flips them off.

Sunday - Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers. Highs 75 to 80. Southeast winds 10 mph. ~ guess I will be watering more tomorrow.

Nighty-night all

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Minn, is this her first litter? You may have to bottle feed some to help subsidize them.....if they aren't getting enough. Only you don't want them to become dependent on that and not nurse, or then she will get too full and it can cause her pain.......hard to know just what to do.

I guess it is better to leave them alone if they are healthy. At 5 weeks you can start feeding them can food mixted with water or milk to help them out. They normally ween at six weeks.

Jeanne

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

52°/83° Sunny. Very warm. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.

MIA here. I read, so I'm caught up. :o)

I've been working daily on moving flowers, tearing flowers out and just trying to change the beds around. I only have a few days of really warm weather left and then we have a high in the low 60's from then on :o(

I did manage to peel and cook down one dishpan full of apples before I lose them. The poeaches, slowly went bad. It was not a good year or good peaches.

Yesterday we took the boys to Hardee's for a happy meal, then on to Wild Cat Den, Weed Park, out for ice cream and Mark Twain's Look Out, built where my cousins used to live. I walked a long Memory Lane yesterday.

Loved everyone's posts!

DH and the grandsons heading up a long line of stairs at Wild Cat Den.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Awesome rocks all over the place.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's just beautiful there.

Thumbnail by billyporter
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Billy, that looks beautiful!
Yes Jeanne, her first litter. They are all gaining nicely. I should weigh them again today though. They all fight over the same nipple...must be a good one ;) lol. They all have access to two...but they like that one. There isnt a runt like usual, so thats good. The girl looks the biggest but she didnt weigh the most. They all ranged from 4.9 to 5.1 oz when they were born. I suppose its time for pictures again... :) tweek has just bonded with my DH and likes/prefers him to help her. She cries at him to move her babies for her and one night she transported them all up into our bed to sleep between his legs.

Lots to do again today. With all the fun we had yesterday, i have catching up to do. Having groceries delivered so i can start baking season. Dont want 17# of apples to go bad. Bake and freeze, bake and freeze. Then learn to can...qyes, learn to can. Mom never did it so I never learned. I have a huge enamel pot tho, just no jars yet. Crap, i knew i forgot something when i was shopping online. Oh well...Fleet Farm trip I guess. Countrygardnens, you might be (maybe billy too) ths only ones who know whaat FF is...lol.
Haave a good day.

Rain, rain and more rain here. In 24 hours we got over nine inches of rain...I can't remember this long of rain since hurricane Jeanne came over. I'm sure it has to be some kind of record. Still raining as I type, temperatures in the mid to upper 70's.

Texasgal I see rain on the radar over TX...are you close to that?...I know...BIG state, but hope you get some of that.

Billy love the pics, looks like a fun place to hike. You are making me miss the mountains now.

Minnie your kittens sound very entertaining, as well as Texasgal's Ma-ing cat. Sounds like a lot of cat lovers on here.

Since we're not going camping due to the tropical mess we are under I'm now going to participate in a neighborhood garage sale this coming weekend...so will be cleaning out closets and getting up in the attic while cooled off by the rain and cleaning out some junk. What else is there to do when it rains this long? I have no idea how I could stand this all the time...missing the bright moon at night.

This was the last I saw of the moon....oh and that same night I saw a bright blue green meteor coming down with a pretty golden trail behind it...saw it on the news the next day, they say there will be more up until the full moon...of course I can't see anything through all the clouds.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

kittens are weighing in between 24.3 & 26 oz...doing well. "18" has one eye open - he was first born. :)

Still a bit warm and no rain. Ground is bone dry. I dug up sweet potatoes and it took several hours due to fighting the ground. Had a hard time getting the potato fork to go in. Then at times I wasn't deep enough so had to dig some more! lol. I ended up with about a bucket full.

Temps to cool down quite a bit this week. Yeah!!!!!!!!

Zinna.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

49°/81° Sun and clouds mixed. Very warm. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.

Minnesippi, cracking up over Tweek and her bonding. That is adorable!! Yes, always pictures! They will change so much.

You're right. We have a Blaine's Farm and Fleet and I like to go there for bird feeders and seed.

I inheirited most of Mom's canning jars and equipment. I helped her do tomato and grape juice, but she did the majority of it herself. I love to can. Get a Ball canning book. It has the basics and a lot of recipes. I got a pressure canner a few years ago and love to can meats and green beans with it. Soups/chili are on my ''try'' list. I haven't had time to do that yet.

Sunkissed, 9'' of rain and I would have a lake in my yard. It would take some time to soak in too, if it even could. Our water table is not that far down.

Oh boy, selling for closet space! :o)

The moon is big and bright here. I'd love to see meteors. I don't stay out afer dark like I used to when DH worked nights. I used to roam the yard and up the street with the outdoor cats till he came home. I miss those days, and those cats :o(

Pepper, I hear you on trying to get a fork in the ground. I've been using mine to pry iris out!

So pretty! I've been gathering zinnia seed as it dries on the plant.

Maybe, we get rain tomorrow. Better chance Wednesday. Till then, I'm outside all day to finish what I can.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!

For Minnessippi, The mighty Mississippi!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Some drizzles, nothing more. Better chance tomorrow.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, Sunkissed, we got rain!!!!! Areas near us got 5 or more inches. We probably got 3-5 inches. I am sure all of the plants and trees really appreciated it! It was only 81 yesterday so we appreciated also. Plus I didn't have to water! Yeah!

Good to hear from everyone!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

only sprinkles here. :( 82 for a high.

Thanks for the pic Billy.

Babies are opening their eyes...well, starting.

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Aweeeee, so sweet!
Sally, great pics from your trip!
It's been raining everyday since Saturday, yeaaaaah! Temps have dropped down to 55F. I've been busy canning too.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Oh...way to go, Adina. Now, I'm hungry! LOL

Well so glad Texasgal you got rain...about time!

Minnie that baby is so dang cute...I had a cat when growing up named Whiskey and the kitten looks just like her.

Adina...yum...yum...looks great. I wish we could grow a bounty like that here...just too tropical.

Billy there is a lot of standing water and many people are flooded...not my yard, all sand and soaks right in, luckily I'm at the top of a hill. But went for my bike ride yesterday and the creeks are overflowing into backyards. It'll all be soaked in by the weeks end. I've seen it much worse than this. I heard on the news south of us got fourteen inches total..wow.

I have so much to clean up from the tropical storm, sticks, acorns and leaves everywhere. Was still too wet yesterday to clean up but should be dry enough today. The sunshine is back and it is going to be pretty warm up through the weekend, upper 80's. UGH...I'm ready for cooler weather. Maybe next week?

This is Simba...doing what he does best...

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

61°/79° Showers this morning becoming less numerous during the afternoon hours. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%

It's RAINING! It won't be much or last, but I didn't expect to wake up to it.

Pepper, I hope to get much more tomorrow!

Jeanne, fantastic! I hope you get rain regularly now.

Minnesippi, oh, so adorable!!

Adina, how beautiful your jars look!

Sunkissed, living on a hill sure saves your yard! You grow so much for it being sandy. I think I'd rather pick up walnuts. You must have to rake the acorns into a pile just to pick them up.

Simba is so cute!!

I managed to dig all but one kind of Tulip from the garden last night and replant in the Harry Lauder Bed. Same for the Fall Asters. The dirt is really sandy and was rock hard from no rain. I did bring better dirt over to fill in under the poor plants.

The huge rock is what DH dug out of the yard. He thought he wasn't going to get it. I thought he was. If he didn't I would have done it myself, and he knew it :o)

Before...

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

After. Now I need a picture showing the asters planted. It got too dark last night as I was finishing up.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Warm again and some scattered showers tonight. Tomorrow, chance of storms.

Aster and mum. Aster looks half dead now because I forgot to water it once. Now I water it every day. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

52°/73° Through 11am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibility conditions will improve around 7am. Mostly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the mid 60s. Winds light and variable. Showers this morning then scattered thunderstorms developing during the afternoon hours. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%

Pepper, I love the color of the aster. Is it naturally short or did you pinch? It's funny, last year I liked the blue violet aster the best, this year the red violet looked good to me. I have one pink rescue and I'd like to have more, but my favorite is the rosy pink Alma Potsche. I can't wait to see how all three colors look, planted together.

Yesterday was another beautiful day outside accomplishing! Maybe I can get out this morning too. So far, we have no dense fog. I can see country lights. I can see the moon too so we have no clouds. Day is breaking, I'm dressed and having breakfast. I will get out and plant tulips early!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

IT IS RAINING!!!
First time we have had more than a sprinkle since July 16.

Looks like it will last most of the day. Yippee!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Lucky! Its not here yet.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Not bragging, just being thankful, we got rain for the second time in a week. First since April at my house.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Still raining.
I washed & helped candle eggs. I am setting up a CSA for eggs for the winter. If it works good, I will continue it for next summer. So far people are happy. Store bought eggs are despicable!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Finally raining here. Swimming pool in the parking lot here @ work. The ground is so dry its like it wont accept the water.
Fun night for puddle jumpin :)

COME ON RAIN!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Hello Everyone!

I just use my step-son's laptop and check in so I let you all that I have Internet on tomorrow after 8 pm... Yaa! About time I get cheap internet for a year...

I post tomorrow as I get my Internet on...

Take care,
Rusty & JuJu

No rain today. I could see the storms that are south of here and I could see the storms north of me but nothing here.

The aster is the same height as I bought it. lol. I just planted it a couple weeks ago. It looks nothing like that now. Now it looks almost dead. I don't know if it will survive thru winter for me or not. Barely any green on it.

Butterfly on zinna. It's a bit grainy due to zooming in so far.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Yeah...Rusty...your own Internet. Check in once it is all set up. Nice out this evening...got a bit up there in temps today...but not uncomfortable. Plants are looking good from all the rain we had over the weekend. But all that rain brought back the skeeters...ugh!

Rusty, glad you are back!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

58°/67° Windy with a few showers early then partly cloudy for the afternoon. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Bernie, wasn't the first rain in a long time, relaxing?
I remember my great aunt candling eggs.

Lou, that is wonderful! It takes one time to start breaking the cycle.

Minnesippi, more rain!!

Howdy Rusty! Glad you're back!!

Pepper, no growth does make it sound iffy. I guess it still could make it thru the winter.

Still a nice picture. I call it dreamy rather than grainy :o)

Sunkissed, oh no. Mosquitos! One thing about it here. It's too cold to hatch them.

Yesterday morning I did get the last few tulips planted and moved a daylily I remembered was in a hidden spot. Then it rained. Last night it rained better with thunder and lightning! We have a total of 7/10'' which is a good start. We were pretty dry again.

One half of the garden with no tulips or hollyhocks around the edges. Hand turned except around the hook since it will fall over in the wind with heavy feeders hanging on it.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Checked my aster today and it has some more green on it so as long as I keep dumping water on it, it should be ok.

Weather was decent except for the wind. A stiff breeze today kept things interesting.

Fall color on my 2 blueberry bushes. I need to find a home for them in the ground.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.