October Weather - Time to get ready for Winter.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

48°/64Windy with a mix of clouds and sun. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

Pepper,
Yayy! I figured you would bring it back to life!

We had wind yesterday, but it was our last nice day. Look out today!

My SIL has blueberries. The bushes are still really small, but I got to see a pink berry on it's way to blue :o) I hope your's do well. The fall color is nice. I was suprised that my Ribes odoratum had fall color, but it is of the goosberry family.

Grandbabies, yesterday :o)

They move so much it's hard to get a non blurry picture. Our boy is the talker and mover. She's more serious, but makes quiet noises. She has a great smile :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

One more :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

VERY adorable Billy!

Speaking of "grand babies" the kittens are starting to take their first steps :) Time to get a play pen...lol.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The twins are wonderful. Double blessing.

(Zone 7a)

Woohoo! More bebe pics!!! Just as adorable as ever, Sally.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Coolish with temps only in the 60s and blustery.

Varigated Sedum. A bright spot in the garden.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Awww the babies are so adorable...doubly so.
I've been busy with this garage sale and now remember why ten years ago I said I'd never have one again. :) But I made some money and cleaned out the garage and closets and got rid of some things. Today is the last day and then we are off camping and kayaking for the next week.

Still got up to the lower 80's most this week, but this morning nice at 63. Supposed to climb back to mid 80's for a couple days...at least I hope because the spring waters we kayak in are cold! But the mid week a cool down, weather shows on Thursday only up to upper 60's...I'll believe it when I feel it. Yep...that will be the day we cook some chili over the campfire.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week...sounds like winter is just around the corner for many...I sure like seeing the weather reports and garden changes in other parts of the country.

Wekiwa Springs...water always 72 degrees year round...Feels ice cold in hot temps and warm when cold temps.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

44°/67° Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph.

Minnesippi :o)
Awww baby kitten steps!! But more true than you know, if they could be where they could get stepped on. I have many sizes of boxes that would make great play pens :o)

Pepper, I ordered a varigated once and it didn't come back the next year. That one is so pretty, and strong!

Sunkissed,
Grinning, I co-hosted one once and have never done another, nor will I. It drove me crazy to be tied down to the garage all day. The money was nice, but not enough :o)

Oh dear, I don't do cold water well at all. I'd be making the chili, waiting for everyone to come back, LOL!

How beautiful is that place!

Yep, frost/freeze comes this week, pretty much on schedule. The tree leaves that were so pretty are dulling already. I took terrible pictures of all the flower beds just to remember how my ''makeovers'' look. It did make me realize I do have more blooming than I thought, but it's here and there. I need bigger bunches of here and there :o)

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty partial to those babies :o)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

My Internet is not on yet AT & T cancel twice again so I final told them about Internet so I hope will be before 18th If not on Internet again I will report them again!!!!

Went to Warsaw, MO today for Heritage Days. It's a festival celebrating the pioneer days. They make sorgnum with horses turning a wheel, make homemade apple butter the old fashioned way, kettle corn over the fire, and the people doing all this dress in period costumes. They also offered carriage rides that lasted about 10-15 minutes and were alot of fun. I will download the pics tomorrow and start posting them. Fall colors were kinda muted which disappointed me but it seems to be that way everywhere this year.

Weather was chilly this morning but warmed up alot in the sun today. When we came out of the woods the sun really knocked us for a loop. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

44°/63° Chance of a shower or two during the morning, followed by partly cloudy skies this afternoon. High 63F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Rusty,
That really makes me mad! There should be no reason to not be able get internet hooked up and be on right away. GRRRR!!

Pepper, that sounds awesome, especially the carriage rides! It sure makes you glad for modern tools, inside the house and out!

Our colors started out promising, but I was noticing how dull they are already. Same difference, LOL! It is a bummer tho. I can't remember the last time even the hillside along the river was beautiful and bright.

It wasn't bad here yesterday. The wind was still chilly and the sun clouded over.

The boys sure had fun gathering the hedge balls for Grandma yesterday. They wanted to stay at the cemetery and look around. We checked for the pennies they dropped in a box that holds a vase. You pull the vase out and set it in the opening. Naturally Grandpa had a bit of change in his pocket, so they got to do it again.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

the twin grandbabies what a blessing they are. Such beauties they both are.

Jan

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Jan! I couldn't imagine life without them!

We had a passover shower that barely wet anything. Now it's breezy and chilly. It made 60* :o)

Got pretty warm today with temps reaching 70 and sunny.

Managed to get all the pots I wanted to overwinter outside in ground so they will hopefully have a better chance at survival.

Here's a pic of the carriage I rode in. The mare was tired by the time we got in so she the driver had to keep encouraging her to keep moving but all in all had a great time.

Thumbnail by pepper23
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

56 and WINDY today...got started in the yard about 10 or so this morning, raking - then Harley ended up somehow slicing his chest open chasing a chipmunk so that ended him up at the animal ER...me in tow...until after 1:00. Snuck out of there for a bit to run to the grocery store and get bread & creamer - but not something I was planning on doing today. Left there $530 poorer with a POUNDING headache. Missed my nephew's 1st birthday party - I was out for the count on the couch from 3-6 this afternoon. Still have the headache and didn't get ANYTHING accomplished today. :(
Cooler weather is on the way...still lots to do in the yard (PLEASE hold put until I can get everything done!!) Last week I heard flurries Tuesday, but havent heard any more about snow since then. (Not really been listening though).

Kitties are growing - I gave them each a bath the other night - with very loud objections from Tweek - but I spotted a flea :( so they didnt have a choice. Dont know where they would have picked those up from. Other animals don't have fleas but everyone was treated anyway...so far so good.

Headache, headache, go away....NEVER COME BACK!! UGH!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

37°/60° Some sun this morning with increasing clouds this afternoon. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.

That is a neat carriage Pepper. I'd love to ride in one!

Minnesippi,
I hope Harly wasn't hurt too bad!

Those headaches sure take your day away. I hope you have time to get things done, but if you don't, you don't. I didn't finish my to-do list either. In fact, it needs to be re-written because it's three years long, LOL!

We found a dead flea on one cat and we never have problems either. So, DH ran to the grocery store 7 miles away and they are sporting flea collars before any fleas drop off and multiply.

I'll bet Tweek didn't like her babie's cries, but get them used to a bath now and it will go better for them when they are older.

No words needed :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

Cold, blustery and cloudy with sprinkles off and on all day.

Here's my driver bringing her horse back after a short break.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

43°/53° Considerable cloudiness. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.

Pepper, love the picture! The poor tired horse heads home.

We had the kids last night, all four! Poor little girl is the one stuffed up now. The little boy is almost over his, and the oldest is still coughing. I can't believe we haven't had anything yet as the oldest was the first to be coughing over the weekend. The next in line is still holding his own.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Love all your pics! Powerful storm yesterday, with very low temps, 40F this morning...the furnace is on! Forecasted higher temps tomorrow, up to 68F....strange weather!
Sally, sending prayers and hugs for your grandkids so they get well soon!
Clear sunset from a month ago.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

TOO COLD!!! 42 on my drive into work.

Baby kitties are becoming terrors...they are weeble-walking all over the place. Need to find a playpen - and QUICK!
Harley was throwing up last night - might be from his meds. If he cant keep anything down today, I have to bring him in when I get home. Not looking forward to that for many reasons. I hear the word "exploratory" and that means $$$ that I dont have.

VERY crabby today - still have my headache. Feels like I have my head in a vise. Really tight and it just hurts. DH is trying to be funny to cheer me up - just want to crawl in a hole.

So I will take my crabby self and not share. Have a good day everyone.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I m bacccckkkkkk! BOO! lol...

So, I final got the Internet on today phew!

So, right now I have to catch up read sooner as I can lol...

I got good raining and lightning last nite I slept thru so good like baby! Rusty bugged me so Ju bugged him to leave me alone and slept!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Look alike gonna be freezing tonite thru Oct 20

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp

This message was edited Oct 18, 2011 7:57 PM

Welcome back Rusty!!!!

Cold and blustery today. Only reached low 50s for a high. Under a frost advisory for tonight with a high chance of a heavy frost. It will be our first of the season.

A small group entertaining people waiting to get into the store. Long line of people waiting for homemade cinnamon rolls, homemade bread and a few other items. They were making cinnamon rolls as we were standing in line. Pretty neat.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

44°/52° Cloudy and windy. Winds N at 25 to 35 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

Thanks Adina, they're too new to be all stuffed up :o(

At least the storms clean the sky and you get beautiful glowing skies!

Minnesippi, giggling, but know it's true. They are at that being stepped on age.

Awww, huge hugs for that headache. I hope it's better today :o(

Rusty, big grin over you being back!! Bigger grin over the dogs, and you sawing logs. A perfect end to a good storm!

Pepper, laughing over the wait! At the State fair we stood in line for the best doughnuts! At least the line went pretty fast. Cinnamon rolls are more involved.

Love the old guy hoofing it!

I went out yesterday and burried the 5 pots of flowers that never got planted. I also brought in the plastic lawn chairs and tables from the yard. We still have heavier chairs on the porch. With the wind we're going to get, I'm glad I did all that.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh so chilly this early morning and JuJu was jump to my bed and keep warm of my legs!

It now 38 and real feel @ 26...

Yeah bp big grin over me! lol... And very bigger grin over my dogs! lol...

This message was edited Oct 19, 2011 9:25 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, I wonder if a dog on the legs is better than a cat trying to get on your pillow? LOL!

It's windy and gloomy and 50*. The grape vines are doing a little skirt raising dance in the wind.

Cold and blustery. Barely reached 50 today and mother nature had to work it to get that high!! lol. Frost last night and now under freeze warning til sometime tomorrow morning. Lows to be around 29-30F.

Bp, the group was having alot of fun. I didn't notice the guy hoofing it til I went back and looked at the pic. lol. I was paying attention to the guy singing and playing gutair. LOL

Here is the guy again with a big grin on his face. Loving all the attention.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

40°/55° A mix of clouds and sun with gusty winds. Winds NNW at 20 to 30 mph.

Pepper, we did hit 50°, but had the cold and blustery too. I didn't go out till late afternoon and it wasn't too bad. I used the hood on my coat tho.

Laughing, all of them looked like they were having fun, and if they have fun, so do you. That was a great idea to have them entertain as the lines went thru!

Minnesippi, I hope you're feeling better! (((HUGS)))

I took a lazy day for myself yesterday and tried to keep catching up on threads. I also made another batch of green tomato rice. Again, we ate half of it as it came out of the pan, LOL!

Well, we need more kitty pictures.

We let both outdoor cats in. The indoors have the flea collars.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Second picture

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Third and last. No one stays in the frame for long, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Everyone, let's congratulate Pepper for the lovely photo with which she won the domesticated pet section at this contest :

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2011-daves-garden-county-fair/index.php

I had a few pictures too, 2 of which on the 3rd place at different sections.
So cute, Sally!
First frost on the broccoli yesterday.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Adina, we are so proud of our Pepper!

I voted on a couple I thought were yours :o) Congratulations to you too! I haven't had time to check the winners, but thanks to the link, I will.

Your broccoli looks good! The frost should sweeten it up. Do you dust or don't you have problems with cabbage loopers?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

All white here this morning. Not snow but frost. 26º at 7:30 AM.
Now we will be getting nicer weather. Hopefully none of that stupid wind.
5 markets left. Not much to sell. We covered the strawberries. Will see how they came through the frost.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

34 when I rolled out...might make it to 50 today. It didnt yesterday.
I've taken more kitty pictures and had every intention of bringing my SD card to work so I could load them...wouldn't you know it - I left it at home. So in the next day or so I will upload more babies. They are so silly right now. Learning to walk, play fighting, "25" even is practicing his pouncing. Its so cute.
Have a vet appt scheduled for the 29th for Elsa (annual exam), Harley (stich removal), and the babies (first check up and deworming). Good thing I have a minivan. Might bring Maggie just so she doesnt feel left out.

The weekend is taking forever to get here and I have so much to do...maybe I will bring it a day early. Need a day for myself I think. :)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, still doing markets. I guess squash and pumpkins! Did you grow pumpkins?

Minnesippi, I am melting just remembering my own tiny sillies growing up. Can't wait for pictures!

Grinning, are you sure Maggie wants to go?

I think you deserve a day for yourself. It really isn't going to get much warmer till Indian Summer, and that doesn't last :o(

Have a good day everyone!

(Zone 7a)

Woohoo!, Pepper!!!! Great photo!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the weather that will be frost advisory:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp

It's so chilly this morning!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No pumpkins. Squash was gone long ago. We plant early varieties & sell early at better prices.
We are selling onions, hot peppers, beets, carrots, strawberries, & radishes. Also our eggs of course.

Adina, loved your pics also!!

I think frost skipped us this week since all my annuals are still blooming their heads off with no damage whatsoever. Temps reached mid to high 50s which is a bit warmer than I was expecting. Another freeze warning for tonight. Since I'm down in a holler I think I'll get lucky again. lol. Radishes covered up with a sheet just in case.

Butter making!!! And boy was it good butter!!!! Only downside was they weren't selling any, just giving out samples.

Thumbnail by pepper23
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

"Norma"

Thumbnail by minnesippi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.