CLOSED: Free Seeds for recent DG Subscribers (October 2011)

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

We're here to help Corey.
Albeachrealtor-waiting for seeds seems tough at first, but once you start really getting into trading, ordering, and discovering new plants you love, the waiting becomes part of the fun. Everyday I await the mailman, even when I know I don't have anything coming. LOL. I know when you get your newbee package you will enjoy it. Robyn

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ohhhhh geez, Corey - I hate that you regret it but even crazy me knows my limits.

WE are all thankful for your OCD - just think once the stash is organized it'll be easy as pie!

Thank you thank you thank you.... :)

A.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you for doing this Corey. I too am sorry you regret taking it on. You are a great person to do it with your organizing skills and such. Keep up the good work!

Mount Olive, NC(Zone 8a)

I received my newbie seeds and boy oh boy was it worth the wait!!!! Great job Corey!!! Remember "Good things come to those who wait" :)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey - beware the Ides!!!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Idesia polycarpa?

huh?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

That was the only match Plant Files found for "Ides". I'm terrible with common names ...

a small joke ...

... VERY small ...

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I caught one of those when I was fishing once...

Al

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

ba-da-bing ... ka CHING!

(drum roll plus rim shot)

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

LOL!!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

^_^

ok folks, I'm slow, I still don't get it. In my defense, I am kind of short so alot of things go right over my head

Corey ~ You will be getting a very small package in a few days. More to come later in the season.

Evelyn

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Evelyn! I've had a note to send you my light-blue-purple Pacific Giant delphinioums for MONTHS.

Monkeymomr, that probably just means that you have a NORMAL sense of humor. Ides of March, plant name Idesia polycarpa, carp-the-fish ...

perhaps it's a sign that it's time to split off a new thread. I was HOPING to get all the mailers out, then declare a holiday and start a new thread, but new requests are coming in faster than I'm clearing them.

But I did just decide to get the price break on bubble mailers:
250 6"x10" #0 from ULINE. I won't run out in my lifetime!

Don't be so sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil grin here ^_^

Corey .... this was a request posted by littlenettie on another thread to another DG'er. Thought maybe you would have what she is looking for.

''do you have seed for the bug pink cornflower i have the big purple one but can,t find the pink one.would love to have some seed or a plant.''

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey - now is not the time to fall down on seed duties.
I am going to be stern here with you because I am also behind on my tradelist. I have 6-8 trades to fill, and it's way past time for me to do it. Spring is right around the corner and I feel bad. If I am starting seed now, so are they and will be disappointed if they don't get my seeds until April or May.

You know I HUG you. :D

I'm just saying - sort of a challenge - or a pact - or commiseration?

Whaddya say?

A.

OOO

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> pink cornflower i have the big purple one

I don't recognize "cornflower".

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Spring is springing!!! Bulbs are poking up through and temps should be unusually high all week! Am getting ready to start my seeds, so i'm with amanda. :) you are doing a great job corey. Don't lose focus now. Because before you know it it will be busy time in the garden!
*high five* you can do it!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey just has to get brave enough to dip into the bag with the "unknown" seeds and ship those off with a few that may have been requested. It's got to be incredibly hard to be Cupid, a Leprechaun, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus all rolled into one seed hoarder.

Corey you can do this!

So can I. I am pulling up my tradetracker now, and going to get brave enough to send a pile of annuals to a nice lady who is new to DG since she said she would be thrilled with anything I send her. :)

Also have a few trades for folks who are not so new, and as they like butterfly plants and actually live in like, Zone 9 or so, have probably got new plants going all year round.

Okay - I'm going to put my seed where my mouth is (GAH!), stand up and just do it. Thanks for the kick in the pants, Outlaw. I will post my list of trades completed (or packaged up!) by the end of the day.

A. a/k/a "Seed Slacker"

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

Corey, sent you email; when can you ship my seeds? It's getting warm here.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Alright I collected and packed trades for these 6 people:

Nilly
Yakmon
Lamarion
Catsgalore
nativeplanter
scbuttercup

I will label and get them out tomorrow or the next day. Will post when they've shipped! Corey still has a chance to match me. :D

Coneflowers are bachelor buttons aren't they? I have seed for pink BBs. Tell them to send me a dmail if they want some. The flowers are only about 1-1 1/2 in. so I don't know if these are the ones they are talking about.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Bachelor's Buttons are Centaurea cyanus

Coneflowers are Echinacea purpurea and various species and cultivars.

I meant cornflowers. LOL.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Sorry folks, I'm the one that confused everybody on this thread. Nettie was talking about Centaurea montana, something completely different than what I was thinking...

Al

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Glad we cleared that up. :D

There ARE a lot of flowers named similarly.

When I worked at Garden in the Woods in Framingham, MA several years ago I found that the folks in the horticulture department didn't like to use common names with the word "weed" in them because it somehow lessened their value/importance to the public in encouraging the use of native plants in home gardens.

I am still planting my seeds and my ws'ing jugs, which is kind of a moot point, but they will still grow. I chilled the ones that needed it so they may have a chance. I need to get after it!

As I've said before, COREY! You are doing a GREAT JOB!!!!!! Don't fret, don't sweat. It will all get done in due time.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 9:49 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

HA!

Seeds are ready waiting to go. For some reason it's always the trip to the post office that delays my shipments.

Corey - don't listen to Patti!!! I hope you're sweating like I was today in this 80 degree heat!!! :P

xox

For Corey: OOO

A.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Happy St. Patrick's Day All!! Keep thinking green!

Al

Amanda ~ No 80° here.....

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

not here either. I'm thinking about quaking.

Quote from RickCorey_WA :
Thanks Evelyn! I've had a note to send you my light-blue-purple Pacific Giant delphiniums for MONTHS.

Perhaps it's a sign that it's time to split off a new thread. I was HOPING to get all the mailers out, then declare a holiday and start a new thread, but new requests are coming in faster than I'm clearing them.

If it isn't too much trouble...SOME of us are still on dial-up, or is it just me?

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Rick, I'm sending off another envie of seeds to you today. Many are from trades or the robin- or from you!- and I have taken what I can use. The rest I either harvested last fall or bought within the last year or so. Again, I have used what I wanted with good results, noted where relevant.

I'm sorry you are having such a struggle with all this. It's a wonderful service, I just hope it gets easier for you. I guess it's a steep learning curve, right? I've only been a member since 12/11 and although I thought I knew a fair amount, DG has been a revelation. I haved crammed, though, and feel that I've absorbed enough to feel less ignorant and overwhelmed- and my success rate has risen exponentially! Now, if I could just figure out why the petunias are so slow this year, and why the Platycodon doesn't want to germinate... Oh, and the Agastache... And a few other things...

Keep up the good work!

Best,

Pam

Pam ~ Petunias are ALWAYS slow. And such tiny seeds. I love them but they take such patience. I have a new respect for the companies that are in the business of growing them. To get a 6 pack of them for a couple of dollars is high, but when you take in consideration the time it takes to grow them.

If you want a lot of them, the solution is to grow your own though, huh? They probably are seeded with machines and grown in huge greenhouses. Are you sowing yours outdoors, as in wintersown? When did you start yours?

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I started pelleted seeds inside with heat on Feb 21, and they germinated in a week. Last year I started them a month earlier which was too soon, they were blooming weeks before the weather was ready for them. But those were Shockwave and these are Avalanche, which I've since learned are smaller. The other factor is that I used ParkStart sponges from last year. I rinsed them well with a peroxide/water mix, but there must have been something off about them. When I realized there was a problem I got the seedlings out of the sponges and into a good mix with Superthrive, only losing a couple. They seem to be growing, but are still so teeny! Arrrrgh! As you say, they are slow anyway... I may end up buying some after all.

Any hints for Balloon Flower? Lol...

Pam

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

No, Evelyn - it's not just you.

Don't mean to usurp yer thread Mr. Corey, just giving the people what they want. :D

Please follow me on over to the new March thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1247995/

A.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Amanda!

You do realize that this means you accepted running the Stash, right?
The boxes are in the mail!

And the 27-page list of things that owed to dozens of people starving for seeds to start their spring gardens with!

Just kidding. Thanks for splitting the thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.