CLOSED: Free Seeds for recent DG Subscribers (October 2011)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

This thread is for "New Bee" seed requests, information and questions.
"New Bee" only means that you joined DG in the last year or so and are a paying subscriber. (Not necessarily "new to gardening".)

Anyone is welcome to trade for seeds or generously contribute seeds.

For the cost of postage, and a list of wishes, we'll send you at least 15 packets of seeds in a bubble mailer.
That's all there is to it, thanks to all those who share seeds with us.

To get your seeds, send whichever you prefer:

1. $3.00 by PayPal, and a private Dmail to me (RickCorey_WA) to get my PayPal ID and send me your address and Want list. (This is the cheapest option, and easiest for me.)

or

2. A First Class envelope with 5 or 6 First Class stamps, your printed address, and a Want list. (I'll supply the bubble mailer.) I'm in the Address Exchange (http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/) as RickCorey_WA, so you know where to send it.

or

3. A bubble envelope containing 4 or 5 first-class stamps, your printed address and a Want list.
(Even the empty mailer will cost you $1.71 to send, so this is the MOST expensive option.)

Be sure to send:
- - - your DG screen name & real name & return address,
- - - a list of "Wants" and
- - - postage OR a big bag of your saved or leftover seeds

Don't post your address here in the public forum, send it by Dmail
or put it in the DG Address Exchange: http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/
(You have to add your address to be able to see everyone else's.)

You can list specific or general Wants:
annual flowers,
perennial flowers,
vegetables,
herbs,
vines,
shrubs,
trees,
lilies, iris, hibiscus, hollyhock, morning glory, marigold, zinnia, alyssum, lobelia
or other particular plants.

It helps a little if you say what hardiness Zone you're in. If you really like a particular thing, adding a specific name to the common name makes it more likely that I'll find the right seeds.

I should warn you that I have been "behind" since I started and may not get your seeds to you for multiple weeks. Don't hesitate to remind me if you're in a hurry. Feel free to NOT send postage until you hear that I have shipped your mailer!

Everyone, new and old: if you would enjoy donating seeds for new members, that would be great! We can also trade (Dmail or post a list of your Wants).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There is another "New Bee Seed" request thread over in the "Welcome Mat" forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182272/

There is also a "New Bee" Chat Thread over in the "Garden Talk" forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

We came from here:
- - - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/
- - - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182370/
- - - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1191453/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We need four stamps worth of postage ($1.71) to return a bubble mailer. The extra stamp goes into the "pot" for postage due. If you don't send a bubble mailer, we ask for an extra stamp to pay for the new mailer.

Please make sure to use enough stamps when you send to me.
An empty bubble mailer is now $1.71 (four stamps). That's why I urge a 44-cent First Class envelope and let me supply the bubble mailer.

If you are kindly sending seeds to share, it takes a fifth stamp if you go over 3 ounces, and I would be dleighted to reimburse your postage.

Please let me know if I may add your screen name to labels for seeds that you donate.

First Class "Package" ... bubble mailer
1 ounce $1.71
2 ounces $1.71
3 ounces $1.71
4 ounces $1.88
5 ounces $2.05
6 ounces $2.22
7 ounces $2.39
8 ounces $2.56

Please feel free to Dmail me with questions, and don't hesitate to remind me if I'm slow.

Happy Gardening Everyone,
Rick Corey

Here's a list of things we had multiples of, and I don't expect to be out of soon:

(P.S. Anyone (even an Old Bee) who sees something they like can have it for a trade & postage,
OR for some of your saved seeds this year or in the past or next year.)

We had multiples of these, and most should still be "in stock"

==================
Fresh Flowrs & crops from Betsy (Inthegarden)

Winter Melon oblong, Benincasa hispida (Asian Cucurbitaceae) TWENTY POUND MELONS!

Angled Loofah, Ribbed Gourd, Luffa acutangula (edible Cucurbitaceae)

Garlic Chives, Allium tuberosum, Gai Choy (reseeds & spreads by roots)

Trailing Fuzzy Bean Vine, Strophostyles helvola, [A/B] edible vine 1-20', reseeds. Needs 80F to bloom?

Camphorweed, Golden Aster, Heterotheca subaxillaris [A reseeds]

Cowpen Daisy, Butter daisy, Verbesina encelioides [A reseeds]

Sweet Autumn Clematis, Sweet Autumn Virgin's Bower, Clematis terniflora

Texas Bluebonnet, Lupinus texensis [P Zone 3]

===================
FRESH COMMERCIAL CROPS from RCorey & RisingCreek:

RADISH Daikon 'Minowase', 52 days, sow summer or fall, long, white, mild, comm. or from RCorey 2011 (LOTS)
RADISH 'Scarlet Tipped White Globe' , comm. 2011 from RisingCreek
RADISH 'Sparkler White Tip' 25 day, bolts & gets hot easily, comm. 2011 from RisingCreek
RADISH 'Early Scarlet Globe', Dependable, early, 20-28 days, Self-sows freely, sow spring or fall, comm. from RisingCreek
RADISH 'Scarlet Turnip White Tip Radish', heirloom from 1880's, comm. 2011 from RisingCreek
CARROT 'Danvers 126' (lots) comm. 2010
LETTUCE 'Grand Rapids', early (55-68 days), loose-leaf, thick leaved, light green, frilled, comm. 2011 from RisingCreek

OTHER EDIBLES, 2009-2010

Snap Bean "Blue Lake" Bush
English Pea "Thomas Laxton" 60 days O.P. 2' - 3' tall bush 3" - 6" spacing
Lima Bean "Burpee's Bush" Fordhook Phaseolus lunatus
Snap Bean "White Half Runner" Phaseolus vulgaris
Runner Bean 'Painted Lady' Phaseolus coccineus 6'-10' tall edible ornamental

=====================
FRESH COMMERCIAL TOMATOS from Lycodad:

Roma, - - - - - - - - - - 75 days, 2011, DET short stake, compact bush, plum type for sauces, salsa & salad
Wisconsin 55, - - - - -75 days, 2010, SEMI-INDET tall stake, med red globe
Large Red Cherry, - 72 days, 2011, INDET tall stake, for salads, great old-fashioned taste
Costoluto Genovese, - 75 days, 2012, INDET tall stake, taste great, Italian Heirloom beefsteak type
New Yorker, - - - - 65 days, 2011 , DET short bush stake , great taste, early growth
Ace 55, - - - - - - 75-80 dy, 2011, DET short stake, great taste beefsteak type, for salads & slicing, disease resistance
Juliet, - - - - - - - -65 days, 2011, INDET tall stake, mini-roma grape type for salads, great taste
Early Giant, - - - - 60 days, 2011, INDET tall stake , great taste beefsteak type, for salads & slicing, early season growth
Floramerica, - - - - -70 days, 2011, INDET tall stake, red for salads & slicing, great disease resistance

EARLY COMMERCIAL TOMATOES from RCorey, 2011
Manitoba . . . DET . . . extra-early & cool
Stupice . . .INDET . . . ultra-early & cool
Glacier . . . DET or semi-det . ultra-early
Ildi (Cherry). . . INDET . . . extra-early, Yellow Grape size
Jaune Flamme. . .INDET . . . mid-season French gourmet heirloom , just 10 seeds

MID-SEASON COMMERCIAL TOMATOES from RCorey, 2011
Vorlon - purple-black tomato
Black Russian - mahogany red, heavy producer, rich complex flavor - sweet with spicy and smoky undertones
Old Flame. . . INDET . . . mid-season
Pruden's Purple. . .INDET . . . mid-season (small qty)
Marglobe. . . semi-det . . . mid-season
Omar's Lebanese .INDET . . . LATE . . . huge fruit

==================================
FLOWERS:

RCorey's saved Delphinium elatum "Pacific Giant" - OP Hardy Perennial - light blue w purple edges (LOTS)

"My" White Alyssum plus chaff - looks like Lobularia maritima 'Snow Crystals' - from Rick Corey's garden 9/2010 (LOTS)
Alyssum "Carpet of Snow" - commercial seed from Lake Valley Seeds for 2011
(The stash also has LOTS of: Alyssum "Wonderland White" Lobularia maritima PELLETED [A] from Syngenta Seeds 2009 )

Lobelia Crystal Palace - commercial seed from Hazzards for 2011
Lobelia Palace Blue - commercial seed from Hazzards for 2011
Lobelia Cambridge Blue - commercial seed from Hazzards for 2011

Bells of Ireland - commercial seed from Lake Valley Seeds for 2011
Foxglove/Foxy Mix - commercial seed from Lake Valley Seeds for 2011
Hollyhock Seeds - Mixed Colors - commercial seed from Lake Valley Seeds for 2011

===========================
fresh flowers from gardenseeder63's garden:

Black-eyed Susan
Bog Salvia / Bog Sage / Salvia uliginosa
OUT [s] Yellow Solidago / Goldenrod - Many [/s]
OUT [s]Queen Anne's Lace / Daucus carota OUT [/s]
White Spirea - Many (shrub)
White Liatris - Many
Large Yellow Marigolds - MANY
Radishes
Mixed Morning Glory

=======================
fresh flowers from maithyme's garden

Awesome Pink Hollyhock - blooms second year - Perennial Zone 3 - from maithyme
pink / white Hollyhock - - blooms second year - Perennial Zone 3 - from maithyme
Yellow Hollyhock - blooms first year planted - Annual in Zone 3 - from maithyme
Pink Columbine - Perennial Zone 3 - 2 feet tall - from maithyme
Baptisia / False Indigo / Blue Wild Indigo / Baptisia australis - 3-4 feet tall - Perennial Zone 3 - from maithyme

=====================
fresh new seeds from mittsy's garden

Red Hollyhock - dwarf, double 9/2011 - from mittsy
White Hollyhock - single - 9/2011 - from mittsy
Hollyhocks - White Icicle - white, double, tall - 9/2011 - from mittsy
mixed Hollyhocks - single & double - from mittsy
French Marigold - yellow - double, small - from mittsy
French Marigold - yellow - 2009 - from mittsyAfrican Marigold - yellow - from mittsy
Dwarf French Marigold - Tagetes patula - yellow - 2009 - from mittsy
Marigold - orange - single - from mittsy
Marigold - Orangeball - Tagetes erecta - from mittsy

==============================================
fresh new seeds from JonnaSudenius August 29, 2011:

French Marigold - Tagetes patula - “Jolly Jester” [A]
Creeping False Holly - - Jaltomata procumbens - [A] vegtable (make jelly)
Great Burdock - "Cardone" - - Arctium lappa - - - - Biennial Zones 3a-10b
Catmint “Cool Cat”- Nepeta subsessilis - [P] Zones 3a-7b *** mint: runners may be invasive
Delphinium elatum - - - - - - - purples - - [P] Zones 3a-8b
Bladder Campion - - Silene vulgaris - - -[P] Zones 3a-8b
Big Betony - - Stachys macrantha - - - - [P] Zones 4a-8b *** tolerates part shade & clay
Korean Mint - Agastache rugosa alabaster [P] Zones 4a-9b
OUT [s] Flowering Onion - - Allium aflatunense - [P] Zones 4a-9b[/s]
Heartleaf Oxeye - - Telekia speciosa - - [P] Zones 5a-8b
Allium cyathophorum var. farreri - - - - - [P] Zones 5a-8b
OUT [s] Amica montana - yellow medicinal herb [P] Zones 5a-8b[/s]
Nettle-Leaved Mullein - Verbascum chaixii [P] Zones 5a-9b
Peach-Leaved Bellflower - Campanula persicifolia [P] Zones 3a-7b

==================
from Heather (hmacdona from Calgary)

Clarkia elegans "Double Mix Clarkia" 18-24" tall rose, salmon, white, purple & crimson
Blue Licrorice (Agastache) tall Perennial
"Tidy Tips" (Layia platyglossa / Layia elegans) Annual Wildflower Western USA drought tolerant, reseeds even in Zone 3
Nemesia, Annual, part shade . . . Requires consistently moist soil.
Chilean Glory Flower / Glory Vine (Eccremocarpus scaber Family: Bignoniaceae) [TP Zone 8a] flowers first year from seed
Pulsatilla vulgaris / Pasque Flower (Anemone pulsatilla / Anemone serotina) drought-tolerant [P Zone 4]
Tricolor Daisy / Chrysanthemum carinatum / Ismelia carinata
Sunflower "Moonwalker"
Larkspur, "Rocket" Annual 24-36" tall
Cosmos "Bright Lights Blend" / Cosmos sulphureus, drought tolerant annual reseeds freely

==============================================
From many Friends of the Stash, older seeds

Shasta Daisy 'Amelia' (Leucanthemum x superbum) 3'-4' tall, full sun [P Zone 5a - 9b]
Formosan Lily Taiwanese Mountain Lily [P Zones 5 - 10] 2-8' tall.
Dwarf Pomegranate Punica granatum 'Nana' [P Zones 7b - 11] Shrub 24"-48" tall
Edible Hibiscus (Abelmoschus manihot) Glossy, edible foliage. Tender Perennial as Annual [TP Zone 8b-11]. 4'-6' tall
Castor Bean (Ricinus communis) tender perennial as Annual [TP Zone 9a-11] reseeds
Orange Coreopsis 'Calliopsis', 'Golden Tickseed' (Coreopsis tinctoria Family Asteraceae) Annual. Reseeds.
Morning Glory 'Heavenly Blue' 8'-10' tall. Sun to partial shade. Some say may be invasive.
Moon Vine, MoonFlower Bush Annual or [Tender P Z 8-11] 8'-10' vine MAY BE INVASIVE
Red Trumpet Vine "Red Sunset" 20-30 foot long [P Zone 4-10 ] . Reseeds & runners. MAY be invasive
Mexican Hats [Perennial Z 3-10 or short-lived P] 24"-36" tall Full Sun easy from seed
Red False Yucca / New Mexico False Yucca (Hesperaloe funifera) [ P Zone 7 ]
. . . 3'-6' tall full sun heat tolerant, drought tolerant, needs well drained soil
. . .Evergreen Shrub, Cactus or Succulent, no spines, soft leaf non-patented
Ornamental Millet 'Purple Majesty' (Pennisetum glaucum) dark purple/black. 2'-5' tall , dramatic, unusual
Double Hollyhock "Peaches & Dreams"
Dinner Plate Hibiscus
Northern Sea Oats (Chasmanthium latifolium / Uniola latifolia) ornamental grass considered invasive by many
Dianthus Mixed Colors Red-Pink-White-Purple
Light Pink Hollyhock
lavender breadseed poppies / Papaver somniferum
Yarrow / Sneezewort / Achillea Froelich, mostly pink
"Meadow Phlox" / "Wild Sweet William" / Phlox maculata 'Alpha' / Perennial Zone 3?

===========
TREES:

Texas Sabal Palm "Texas Palmetto" (Sabal texana or Sabal Mexicana) Palm Tree Zone 8a or 9b 20-50 feet high
Mexican Buckeye up to 10' Tall [Zone 7a-9b] (Ungnadia speciosa Family Sapindaceae) blooms Late Winter / Early Spring deciduous shrub / tree
Pink Mimosa Tree / Persian Silk Tree - (Albizia julibrissin - Mimosa arborea) Zones 6-10 direct sow in fall 30'-40' tall
Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica) 12'-30' tall 8'-10' apart full sun pH 5.1 - 6.5 (acid)
Desert Willow, Desert Catalpa, Flowering Willow, Orchid of the Desert 6'-30' feet tall 6'-8' apart Zone 8a-9a

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 12:26 PM

This message was edited Oct 28, 2011 10:35 AM

This message was edited Oct 31, 2011 11:06 PM

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 4:10 PM

This message was edited Feb 20, 2012 4:04 PM

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 4:43 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I have to say it every time: You're doing a superb job, Corey. :)

Ever think about public office?

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Okay, just so everyone here knows, my subscription will be up on the 5th, and I can't renew now due to financial reasons. But wanted everyone to know that I will be sending things out next week to all those I am trading with, etc. So Rick, you will be getting a bunch of seeds next week from me, and a money plant will be going out to jhmjhm11, and txaggiegal will be getting some plum and service berry. What I need everyone else to do is let me know if you are waiting on seeds or plants or anything from me so that I can make sure and get everyone's addies and such out of the address exchange so I don't lose the info. And because Sept was such a circus for me, please send me a note reminding me what I am supposed to be sending too, lol! Apparently, when our money left, it took my mind and memory with it! So please, if I'm supposed to be sending you anything, please let me know!! (And because I am too lazy to type this twice, I'm copying and pasting in the trade threads everywhere, lol! But, if any of you know of anyone who is waiting on me, please let them know to get in touch with me with a reminder! )

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Corey ~ This is one awesome seed giveaway! You are so organized and have already a great list put together. I will be sending you some seeds this month to add to your collection, as I have some interesting ones to contribute. Best wishes!

Evelyn

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Just to keep everyone up to date, a wonderful generous person here has renewed my subscription thru Dec., so I will have plenty of time to get all this stuff sent to everyone who wants it! Thanks again, dear friend! I am so very grateful to you and your gift has made me very happy!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Aww!!! That's so sweet! :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Actually you are apparently subscribed thru NEXT December. I noticed that last night when I was looking at one of your trading posts. Thank goodness!!! You're the only DG person I know from Wyoming, and I would hate to lose you as my resource. ;)

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thank you all! I have the absolutely best friends in the whole world here! Tears of joy here!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Dg is the best! Gardeners have big hearts. :)

so back to the seeds.... :) i have some zinnias that i will be trying to take seeds from. I will mark what color the seeds came from, but I'm not sure that will be the color of the zinnias that come from them.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Those Zinnias certainly do get around! I think everyone assumes that, if it didn;t come out of a vendor's seed pack, there will be some genes from down the street and around the block. No problem!

Have you seen some of the photos of tie-dyed zinnias Zen_Man has in the Hybridizers forum? I swear some of those look like an explosion in a paint factory, or a science-fiction special effect. Cool, like, "too much of that LDS in college!"

Corey

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I have!!!! I love all the different ones he's posted. I only have California giants, and Elegans so I'm not sure any of my seeds will make anything as wild and gorgeous as he has, but you never can tell!!!!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I think the Giants were what gave me some oddball F3 plants.

This year, I knocked down the slug population substatially, but they took revenge by targetting my Zinnias. Few survivors, and late!

Corey

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

What's an F3?
Quite a few of my giants were less than desirable.... Maybe i should throw the seeds away?

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I wonder if that's a sign of virus like the echinacea "aster yellows?"

I'm sure the pollinators don't mind the way it looks. :)

My Burpee "Enchantress" which looks like this and a bright pink has started to bear red flowers! Wonder why?

And no - but I have to check out these psychedelic zinnias in the hybridizers forum.

Thanks!

A.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

That's what i wondered as well. However, not all of them looked this way, even blooms on the same plant different branch? And the foliage shows no symptoms. A mystery. The termination was rather low and the seeds were bought at dollar general. I also had problems with several other packages of different seeds like beans and carrots and sunflower i got there, so i was wondering if it's the seed source. But I'm not sure.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> What's an F3?

In my case, the third generation of zinnias cross-pollinating with anything in the neighborhood. I started saving in separate pkts from different-colored parents to see how that would work.

I think, in general, "third generation after some deliberate hybridizing event".

This year my few zinnia survivors have white patches: I never thought of viruses. It looks a little like paint that peeled off in spots. tell me these are rare, valuable sports!

Corey

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Ok, those are rare valuable sports .

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Lol mittsy! You are too funny. I miss our gardening! I hope to come see you soon. I may have a new factory job soon so I'll be working nights 4 days a week. Still 40 hours though! So if I'm not dead asleep that's more garden time in the day!!!! :)

I'm not sure Corey. Lets see some pictures. Maybe it's bird poo...?

Kelly, I miss you too. Not much gardening done as it has been so wet. Weeds have taken over the raised iris beds. I've tried to pot up all the TBs.
Hey, Corey any Trillium seeds in that stock? The white ones, grandiflora?
I think I'll have some Gaura seeds and definately some Moonflower as the plants are full of pods. Does anyone know why some of the Moonflower plants have leaves that are oval and some plants have leaves that are pointy? The oval ones don't have the fragrance that the pointy leaved ones have. Going to try and get some pictures of the difference.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Hey, Corey any Trillium seeds in that stock? The white ones, grandiflora?

My memory isn't turning any up ... I'll have to look. Perennial flower , it looks like, from Plant Files. Fortunately, the only synonym I see is "Wake Robin". Maybe becuase the Latin genus name is short, pretty, and easy to spell!

"May be considered a protected species" ... if so, and we have any seed, you can protect some in your garden!

This is probably the nudge I need to transfer all the one-sy "I don't know what zone but I think they're perennial" pkts into my new alphabetical folders. It's going to rain where I am, this weekend.

Maybe I'll even sort the bags of "I don't know ANYTHING about this one" into alphabetical order.
Then I can look for things no matter how ignorant I am.

Corey

Corey ~ Please do not call yourself ignorant. We all have areas in which we have to learn. I am almost 70 and I still am learning....hopefully! There is so much information regarding horticulture that it takes a while to learn. Give yourself some time. You are smart enough to be organized, and that is more than I can say for myself. And you follow through, even if a bit late, it's OK! No one here is breathing down your neck and you are not on the time clock. (At work, well that's different, huh?)

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Sometimes even the most intelligent people aren't smart enough to know they're not stupid. Lol

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Please do not call yourself ignorant.

"Ignorant" is no insult. Since there is an infinite amount to learn about this world, we're all ignorant.
I'm just smart enough to admit that!

Maybe I should have said "relatively ignorant about obscure plant names, compared to people who have been gardening 10 times longer than I have".

And maybe "more ignorant about this than I WANT to be". I do tend to prefer always doing a very good job, by my own standards, which tend to be fussy and demanding.

If it weren't for the fact that I was me, I would complain that me was MUCH too hard to please, and me should give I a break once in a while! But it'll never happen. So sometimes I have to just ignore me and just get 'er done "well enough".

But my dream is to have the organization (and my knowledge of synonyms) so good that when someone asks for something, I know where to look right away, and find it if we have it, even under a synonym, and maybe even be able to say "this is kinda like that, and it would grow there, I'll toss this in too and she if she likes it".

Meanwhile I have fun organizing and feel guilty about being slow to fill requests.

Corey

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey - you're doing a fine job. I have to keep reminding you.

I'm thinking trillium is not something you would have in the stash as it is kind of a special hard to find kind of plant. It's not something I would send to the newbie stash, no matter HOW generous I was feeling. Ha. IF I had any.

Hope you all have a pleasant day.

A.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

But if you happen to find some in your stash this newbie loves the tough cases!!! :)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> you're doing a fine job. I have to keep reminding you.

Once I CATCH UP, you won't have to remind mee. Untill then, it makes me feel better, but I don't agree. Someone who wanted seeds for their fall planting might not agree, either!

EVERY time I seee the word 'trillium", I see that Star Trek "Organian" episode Errand of Mercy:
"I am Spock. A trader in keevas ... and trillium."
That, and quadro-triticale. I was shocked when I learned THAT was real.
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Quadrotriticale

I thought I saw all the Star Trek episodes, but I do not recall that one.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

me too on the quadro triticale almost fell over when i saw it was real.

kc

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, PRIME episode!! It has to be one of my top-ten favorite from the original series. And not because it was hilariously bad, either!

Kor licking his lips about how "glorious" all-out bloody war with the Federation would be.
Kirk agreeing with him that the energy aliens have no business preventing Human / Klingon genocide.

Spock doing the straight-man shtick as he and Kirk jump and run through Klingon security guards.
That's almost as slpstick as "A Piece of the Action".

The infuriating pacifist aliens driving both Klingons and their brother-at-heart Killer Kirk crazy by, being wise and non-violent and refusing be driven into anything rash.

Niether Kirk nor Spock ould find a logical or reasonable soultion, so kirk revrted to type and started blowing things up ... Spock just shrugged and handed him grenades: he knew his Captain!

My favorite aspect was the way that the Humans spent a lot of screen time sighing about badly they "wanted to avoid war" and "how much they hated war" ... but jumped right into it and fought like dogs for their right to go back to killing each other.

Maybe Net-Flix has it?

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> me too on the quadro triticale almost fell over when i saw it was real.

TOS has some fine shtick.

Some nerd says "quadro-triticale" and Kirk is cluelessly lost in space while everyone around him perks up and mmmm-hmmmms and "Yes, we're familiar with it! Very interesting article in ... "

If I recall (says a die-hard Trekkie), quadro-triticale was key to colonizing ?? Sherman's Planet ?? , which would determine whether humans or Klingons 'got" some quadrant under the Organian Treaty?

See? now we're back on topic. Quadro-triticale leads to The Trouble With Tribbles leads right back to the Organians! Whaddaya mean, thread drift!

anyone have any quadro-triticale to trade? I know where to get Stone Age Einkorn wheat (now called Triticum monoccum). (www.Bountiful Gardens.org)

P.S. My dorm had an ongoing contest where we rushed back from dinner to catch the Star Trek re-run in the TV room. The winner each day was whoever could shout the corect episode name FIRST. Many episodes go for several minutes with just a generic star field or Bridge shot and no distinctive names.

The good ones were good, and you could always say favored lines along with the actors. The really bad episodes were even better, because we could fall on the floor laughing as we mocked them.

Engineering school.
What can I say?

My dorm floor had a Nerd of the Week poster, with photos and explot descriptions.
We fought hard for that honor!

Corey

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

not sure if i should admit this but i have a tribble (complete with noises) sitting on top my computer that is older than my children.
kc

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I thought a trillium was what our government spends every week or so...

Al

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hee hee!

Whar theeeyll be nought tribble atall, Keptin!

I didn't like that part anywhere near as much as Sadist Kirk tormenting the bureaucrat-surgically-altered-Klingon with one of those nasty tribbles. Didn't the Feds have any workplace harassment laws?

I never had a toy tricorder, but looked at them with envy, in my youth, for hours.

If cell phones with flip-lids had been available then, my lid would have been flung accross the floor within days.

I never paid for a licensed phaser in that classic, un-aimable shape, but did buy a toy lastic gun that made "the sound".

Much better: when I went to college, other hopelessly-nerdy trekkies found a local parking garage with steel I-beams that generously made the "photon torpedo" nosie when you rapped them sharply with your class ring.

THWOOP!

Is there any 12-Step Program for Trekkies?
For me, it was a gateway series. I "graduated" to harder stuff: TNG, and then B5.

OMG!

The OMG was in reaction to having a tribble on her computer. Does it multiply too?

I'm pushing 70 and saw the original Star Trek series new, I can remember being amazed that a door would open as you approached, medicine came in hypersprays and communicators, wow, black holes, and nano technology. We now take much of that as everyday living.
Pretty amazing, still. A woman as a pilot of a starship? So ahead of it's time.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Trekkie here too!!!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i had it neutered. lol

Sioux Falls, SD

Hey Corey, I'm curious if you received a packet of seeds from me. I wasn't sure if some of those seeds would be useable or not because of age.

Also... Crepe myrtles! Yay!

Corey ~ I am starting to get back into my seeds. I will be starting a few for fall and getting some ready for winter sowing. I will let you know as soon as I have some ready to send, as there should be quite a few. I will never plant all those seeds in my lifetime. I had better tell my hubby to put you in my will for any leftover seeds I have left...LOL!!

(Mittsy, I will be 70 in November)

For many years I did not have a TV, but when I got together with my hubby (Steve), we had a TV. (I have never met a guy who did not have a TV.) Then I got caught up on all the Star Trek series. I liked them all except for the last one that was supposed to be a prequel. It didn't last and I don't even remember the name of it. Also I am now recording StarGate SG1 series, as they are playing them from the beginning two episodes each on Sunday night here.

I missed out on Battlestar Galactica as I never watched them and there are too many to get caught up on. I think Netflix has them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.