CLOSED: Free Seeds for recent DG Subscribers (October 2011)

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

paper plates with drying seeds all over the kitchen. Lots of zinnias, marigolds and Blue Stars (Dogbane). I have chocolate mint cuttings for anyone who wants them for two forever stamps and your address label.. I'll provide the return envelope.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Pretty amazing, still. A woman as a pilot of a starship? So ahead of it's time.

I especially liked the very first Star Trek pilot: Majel Barret as the powerful "Number One" who seemed so much more professional than pretty-boy Captain Pike.

She was TOO far ahead of her time and had to be softened down to "Nurse Chapel" before she was palatable to the audience at that time.

Corey

Do you remember scenes in a hydroponics lab?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

No, only Sulu fussing over some carniverous plant.

Sorry about the long OT drift following from "trillium"!

Corey

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Do you think we should make a new thread SF fans or trekkies?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm transporting down to the surface.

C

Jeanette wants your address, Corey. Did you see her post on the "Back Porch" thread?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I sent it by Dmail, no longer following the long "Back Porch" thread.

Corey

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Miss you on the back porch. :/

AWWWHHH.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Especially after a weekend of not checking it daily, that thread got LONG.

The are a fun, rowdy, bunch of friends.

Corey

Sent you a stuffed envie!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Cool! Thanks, mittsy! I appreciate that!

If any of our Iris seed packets name a cultivar on your want list, I'll send it along (or if I find any trillium).

I just acquired some veggie seeds from Pinetree, if you're interested:

GOLDEN SWEET SNOW PEA PODS - - 67 days - Indian Heirloom, lemon-yellow pods, 6' vines need support
CAROUBY DE MAUSSANE SNOW PEA - 65 days, 2-3' vines extra tender OP
WATERMELON RADISH - 37 days, mild, red flesh
FRENCH BREAKFAST RADISH - 25 days, mild, elongated, red w' white tip

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi mittsy

That sure was stuffed! What a great variety of hollyhocks and marigolds! Thanks very much.

We used to have rather few marigolds, and now we have 6 varieties.

I was especially interested in the "Orangeball" marigolds - if they're like Redball, I want to grow some of those myself:
"three feet high and flowers the size of grapefruit"

This is great!

Corey

Thanks for the offer on the veggie seeds but I am pretty well stocked. I'm going to plant my peas as soon as we hit Cocoa Beach., beginning of December.

Concord, NH

i wanna try zinnias you all make them sound so easy and there beautiful

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Those marigolds sound wonderful! I'm going to have to try some of those myself!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Rick, I've got about six different kinds of tomato seeds to send out to you next week, I'll get back to you later on this.

Al

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

GardenSeeder - make sure you have a spot with absolute full sun for zinnias. They are prone to powdery mildew otherwise. I have learned to thin plants and prune them so that none of their leaves are touching eachother/anything if I don't have them in FS. Good luck - they are a flower I cannot live without. :)

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Even in full sun with all this rain i lost all my zinnia seeds so far to mold. :(

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Corey,
Can you send me a dmail with your address? I have some freshly harvested seed from this year that I'd like to send along. I also have a bunch of old seed (commercial, trade, and some out of my garden) from 2008 and 2009, if you're interested in some older stuff....

edited to add dates

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 5:51 PM

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Al! I know that the stash is chronicly low on tomatoes, and what we had left recently were from you.

- - - -

Thanks, Sunnyg! (You have Dmail.) Both would be very welcome.

What I try to do with older seed, like 3 years old or "unkown age", is to send a larger packet so that even if the germination is only 50% or less, the person can still get enough plants to try them and see how they like them.

If it's a pkt of unkown age, and we only have one pkt of it, I only count it as "half a trade" so I might send 15-20 instead of 10-15.

We have enough fresh seeds that everyone should get 10 pkts of fresh seeds, plus some older ones.

Corey

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds good! I only have small amounts (leftovers) of some of the older seeds, but I will send them along and you can divvy them up as you see fit. I'll gather a bit more info for you for some of the seeds, and then they'll be on their way.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> I'll gather a bit more info for you for some of the seeds

Thanks! I always love to put as much info on a label as will fit. That's why I use mostly 2"x3" Ziplocks: I have 1.5"x1.5" also, but then I find myself using fine print or leaving out info someone told me.

I realize that most people are more interested in SEEDS than labels, but I figure anyone can always ignore everything after the name.

I've been wallowing in both variety and quantity of Hollyhock seeds from mittsy - we now have LOTS of fresh Hollyhock seeds! I was impressed to learn that many are hardy Perennials - like down to Zone 3!

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks to maithyme and mittsy, here are 14 new additions to the Stash.
Many Hollyhocks and Marigolds, plus a pink Columbine and Baptisia.

=======================
from maithyme's garden

Awesome Pink Hollyhock - blooms second year - Perennial Zone 3 - from maithyme
pink / white Hollyhock - - blooms second year - Perennial Zone 3 - from maithyme
Yellow Hollyhock - blooms first year planted - Annual in Zone 3 - from maithyme
Pink Columbine - Perennial Zone 3 - 2 feet tall - from maithyme
Baptisia / False Indigo / Blue Wild Indigo / Baptisia australis - 3-4 feet tall - Perennial Zone 3 - from maithyme

=====================
from mittsy's garden

Red Hollyhock - dwarf, double 9/2011 - from mittsy
White Hollyhock - single - 9/2011 - from mittsy
Hollyhocks - White Icicle - white, double, tall - 9/2011 - from mittsy
mixed Hollyhocks - single & double - from mittsy
French Marigold - yellow - double, small - from mittsy
French Marigold - yellow - 2009 - from mittsyAfrican Marigold - yellow - from mittsy
Dwarf French Marigold - Tagetes patula - yellow - 2009 - from mittsy
Marigold - orange - single - from mittsy
Marigold - Orangeball - Tagetes erecta - from mittsy

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow - that's great - thanks Mittsy and Maithyme! And of course, thanks Corey. ;)

I came across this Garden Tip and thought I'd share it with new seed sowers.
Seed Germination (to check that seeds are viable)
1 pint of water (distilled is good)
1 ounce of 37 % Hydrogen Peroxide

Put seeds into a small glass or ceramic dish. Cover seeds with the water mixture. Soak seeds overnight or until seeds sprout. Change water daily or when it becomes cloudy. Wet coffee filter with mixture, fold into quarters. Open out, place seeds on one quarter, refold. Insert into a plastic zip baggie. It acts like a mini greenhouse. When you see roots, pot up in sterile potting mix.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Are you sure you want a final peroxide concentration of 2%? That's pretty strong.
I've seen 0.1% reccomended for soaking seeds:

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

0.1%:

1/4 teaspoon of 35% H2O2 plus one pint of wiater

or
1 tablespoon or 3% per pint

I've had this recipe for several years. It's just a suggestion. Do what you want.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you to all who have sent seeds to The Stash recently! I'm filing them away, and splitting and making labels for the big batches.

I've listed the biggest packets from the first three people in the first post in this thread.

Just today I added 10 tomato varieties from Lycodad. Some of those had so many packets, with 20 seeds each, that we could plant hundreds of acres!

Many thanks to:

JonnaSudenius
hmacdona
maithyme
mittsy
Lycodad
sunnyg
gardenseeder63

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Susan / gardenseeder63, I just got your package!

Thanks very much, especially for such big bags of what look like all-fresh from your own garden!

I'm going to try to make room for some Bog Salvia in my beds next year - I read that they don't really need wet feet, so my dry summers shouldn't phase them. And that's despite their species name I looked up: uliginosa - what a mean name to give a pretty flower! At least it only means "of swamp and marshes", not "ugly"!

P.S. Now I'm behind on splitting and labelling also, but Robin warned me that would happen at this time of year. Trust me, all bags of seeds are stored in tubs with dessicant and WILL be lovingly split and labelled and filed and given away.

Large Yellow Marigolds - MANY
White Spirea - Many (shrub)
Bog Salvia / Bog Sage / Salvia uliginosa
White Liatris - Many
Black-eyed Susan
Yellow Solidago / Goldenrod - Many
Queen Anne's Lace / Daucus carota
Radishes
Mixed Morning Glory

Corey

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the update Corey. Been busy here too, but I expect the winter weather will slow me down soon enough.

Have a great day.

A.

Concord, NH

your very welcome corey,and yes they are all fresh seeds of this year,enjoy susan

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

From the size of the bags, I think that HUNDREDS of new DG subscribers will enjoy them!

Corey

Concord, NH

smiling.......

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

(bump)

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

♫ Where have all the flowers gone?...♫

Al

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey I was just thinking about you and how I can't afford to send you this giant pack of seed. ;)

A.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

Hollyhocks sound enteresting. For some reason I always thought they were a vine. DUH!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hollyhocks are amazing. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.