Money Matters - Part 8

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The Cost of Living charts (and COLA, cost of living adjustments) done by the US Government doesn't include food, nor gasoline. What's with that? We buy those far more often than durable goods.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, I heard that about peanut butter.

I expect a very volatile week on Wall St this week with the Euro negotiations coming to a head. Huge swings either way are a good bet.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh - I am so dizzy!

Get some Dramamine!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Food costs here in Fla. are much higher than in New England. Ugh!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

agre with you there darius. Not much on the list with the same priority as food and transportation.

Food and energy are also not included in the core inflation number. Go figure.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, that has always seemed crazy to me.

As expected, this has been a week of huge swings on Wall St. They're giddy over the apparent deal in Europe. Don't be surprised by more letdowns as details emerge and actual decisions and actions are needed, as opposed to this framework.

No surprise with the market.

Haven't looked but I must have again missed the chance to cash it all and move to Aruba.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Yeah, next time they say they've got a deal worked out to fix the Euro Zone problems I'm going to really think about selling a lot of my stock "high" since the inevitable low won't be more than a few weeks away when it all falls apart again.

More like days!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, yes, I suppose that's more accurate. I realize that the comment I am about to make is really a simpleton's viewpoint of economics but it blows me away that one country of Greece's size can have so much of an impact on the economy in the United States. I realize it's probably more about a domino effect but it is troubling to me that our economics are so fragile right now that one failing country can practically bring us to our knees.

Yes it is. Quite scary. '08 convinced me that the entire world financial system is a house of cards. With all the complex computer models, etc., we are no better now than hundreds of years ago, when panic was followed by mania, followed by panic...And the funny thing is - almost all of these crises have a common denominator - living on credit.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Happy birthday, Darius!!!!

Yes, here's to a good one, and a good year!

Thanks. Just having minimal needs met will be considered a Blessing!

Happy birthday, D!

Thank You, Thank You!

It's only money...

http://news.yahoo.com/freddie-mac-reports-q3-loss-asks-6b-aid-124449542.html

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

UGH

Pathetic job numbers once again.

When I see Money Matters in my thread watcher, I now start to hear "Its the end of the world as we know it" (Green day or some such recent band) in my head.....

I heard somebody on Cspan radio the other day- (Plays gov't hearings, meetings, stuff like that) He was giving official projections for jobs next two years. Now HOW IN THE HECK can they accurately project anything like that? Doesn't that all rely on assumptions? The projection was for very slight improvement.

My state personnel dept has multiple open and continuous postings for drug counselors, parole workers, and some similar jobs, read: work with hard-to-work-with clients. Starts in the low 30sK$ but with health benefits etc.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm always singing that song, Sally...my son yells at me to stop

Jen, switch to Know your enemy? Thats Green Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Your_Enemy_%28Green_Day_song%29

Within days, the national debt will pass 15 trillion dollars. Not only a staggering number on its own, but represents the entire GDP of the US. So we will now owe more than the total of all goods and services we produce per year. This is where Greece was not long ago.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

yuck!

Ball of confusion- that's what the world is today
http://www.lyrics007.com/The%20Temptations%20Lyrics/Ball%20Of%20Confusion%20Lyrics.html

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Amen to that Sally!!!

Love the Temps.

DeNiro is going to play Bernie Madoff in a movie. Weird choice, but interesting possibilities:

Investor: 'Dear Mr. Madoff. I would like to know exactly how you keep producing these stellar returns each year'.

DeNiro/Madoff: '$#^$^$#^ ^%&% &^%&^%& **&* mother !!#%&&*(&( $@$#@$'

hahaha
I luvvvv DeNiro. I don't think I want to see him be Madoff.
There's a movie in which Bill Murray plays a mob guy and Deniro is a mild mannered police photographer - talk about a reversal in casting. And they were both good in those roles.

I love him too, but he's been horrible for the past 15 or so years. A shadow of what he once was. Only does it for the $$ now.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

The first Stephanie Plum movie is coming out soon. I love the books! Main character is a Jersey girl from the 'burbs who works for her cousin as a bounty hunter. I don't know that I will see the movies as I have the characters developed in my mind over the sixteen books (seventeen is on my shelf waiting to be read) and I know I couldn't listen to the books on CD because the voices didn't sound like the ones in my head.

Futures way down this AM. Europe, of course. Italy now. Seems funny to me there would be worry about Italy paying debts. Italians have been expert at collecting debts for centuries! ^_^

Just in time for the holidays - new 15% Federal tax on fresh cut Christmas trees. Yipeee!

What's the current conversion rate for kneecaps to Euros?
8 ^}

We have to tax all the rich people who are getting that Tree Farm tax break! (Which would work but they will pass the cost along) Why is it so easy to pass a new fed tax but 'so hard' to, say, cut the rate on that tree farn agricultural tax break?

Good point. Farmers have enjoyed special status for years. All special tax breaks should be reconsidered and most eliminated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.