Money Matters - Part 8

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Its hard to grasp the implications of the big problems.
So I grasped a dozen + cans of basic veggies at Target for 49 cents each. The same thing the major grocery chains usually run for a dollar each. Strategic food shopping is one of the few ways I feel I have some tiny impact on my budget. But then I wonder if I should bother. Canned green beans have only 20 cals per serving and almost nothing registers on the nutrition label.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Question - How does this work when the price oa a barrel of oil is going UP and the price of gas is staying about the same? Aren't "they" supposed to be gouging us about now?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Oil price is much more volatile than gasoline price, but that will go up if oil stays up.

And gasoline is much more volatile than oil! Hee-hee!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Have read that oil at $90 or above is break even price that keeps OPEC and citizens of same "happy"or profitable. Heating oil is definitely up and likely to rise seasonally as winter approaches. Will be interesting to see how Europe copes with this winter being predicted to be quite a bit colder and harsher than normal, like last year. Hard to be the highest bidders when the costs of borrowing to pay for same has gone up.

Any one hearing about the "oil rush" going on in North Dakota? Evidently boom camps are being built as we speak. At least it's in shale not tar sands or bottom of ocean.

I see a strong possibility for a major loss on Wall St in the next week as European concerns couple with the inevitable failure of the 'supercommittee'.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

while we can still afford"laughter as the best medicine"

A frog went to get a loan at a bank.

The loan officer's name was Ms. Patty Stack. When the frog told Ms. Stack that he wanted a loan, she asked if he had collateral. He showed her something that, to her, looked like a marble and said "this is what I have for collateral".

She took it to the bank president and said "there's a frog out there who wants a loan, and this is what he has for collateral (showing him the marble)". She said "do you know what this is, and should I give him the loan"?

The bank president said "why, that's a nic nac, Patty Stack; give that frog a loan".

i feel better!

Was widely reported earlier this year that GE paid no federal taxes last year. What was not reported was that their return was 57,000 pages long, filled with myriad breaks, loopholes, etc. Their CEO is the leader of the presidential jobs commission. To boot, they recently relocated their successful x-ray division to China.

One piece of good news. They caved in and will not charge the 15% Christmas tree tax.

Some heluva good jobs commision choice...sending jobs overseas.
I just keep hoping that the oil price makes shipping all this carp, too expensive! Fat chance eh?

Carp?? Sounds fishy.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Does he say, do as I say, not as I do?

Along with all the plastic and dollar store 'carp' we get from Asia, we now have actual Asian carp ! LOL
http://www.biosonicsinc.com/pdf/PressRelease_082710.pdf?gclid=CKDL_LK2wKwCFcjb4Aodvw5ArQ

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

See and this is the reason it's a problem.....
"were imported into the southern
United States to keep aquaculture facilities clean
and to provide fresh fish for fish markets."

Why can't we use what we have? I'm sure there is a native fish in the thousands of lakes in the US that could keep the facilities clean....UGH

Yes - let's use our prisoners!! Just the lifers who can't swim. ^_^

This makes me think of Victor and the ?? Forgot what its called for a cold.

Nose drinking cups

Open cups connected to a hollow stem, also called "sucking cups". Drinking through the nose is known from the Northern Song Dynasty. In Jingdezhen Tao Lu translated by G. R. Sayer in 1951 there are the following entry # 65, page 90, "Southerners practice nose-drinking. They have pottery vessels like cups or bowls with a small tube like the lip of a bottle fixed at the side they apply their nostrils to the tube and snuff up the wine. The cups are used in summer to snuff up water and are called 'nose-drinking cups'. The water enters the throat through the nostrils and provides an indescribably delightful sensation. The people of Yung-chou already do this. It makes one guffaw to record it." The source Tao Lu is citing is a Treatise on the Geography and Natural History of the South of China, dated to the eleventh century or, mid Northern Song. During the Kangxi period the nose cups (in floral form) were produced in susancai palette and sacrificial blue in lotus and peony shape as the Song practice of inhaling beverage through the nose was reintroduced as a brief amusement for the Kangxi court, somehow posssibly related to the emperor Kangxi's extensive travels through the newly conquered Southern China. However, this practice is said to have been short-lived but again becoming popular during the Guangxu period, with cups in the shape of a flower head. A larger type was decorated in the famille rose palette and a smaller, decorated in green. Known cups from this period are inscribed at the stem as, being 'remembrance cups from the autumn military exercise at Anhwei in the 34'th year of Guangxu', i.e. 1908, the year in which both the Guangxu Emperor and the Empress Dowager Cixi died.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Wow! I'm at a loss for words, Sherrie!

Two thoughts

1- what people did for entertainment before the Internet...

2- Must not have been THAT indescribably delightful- they all quit!

Yes - like the Neti pot!

Except that you get to swallow!

Ideas like this may have driven them to the 'invention' of opium !!! A somewhat more "successful" form of entertainment..
8 ^P

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Spend less, bater more

http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2011/11/16/50-bartering-sites-frugal-student/

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cool, Thanks.

Bater more? I'm already a master bater. ^_^

oh my

Some say best Black friday ever- Yeah sure

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes, Victor, but can you bundt?

Sally, seems to be the most violent also what with pepper spray (keep that vinegar handy) to "flash robs " another reason our private lives need to be monitored as a security measure.

Had to laugh when one shopping tip from a store manager was that if you are going to buy a large screen tv. to make sure it will fit in your vehicle first!

This message was edited Nov 25, 2011 6:12 PM

Cannot understand going shopping today. People are nuts. Bought lots online today! Almost done.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Did a little online shopping today for the grandies. Shipping some things directly to their houses, so I don't have to send it myself. Hoping their parents don't mind wrapping them for me.

Worst Thanksgiving week on Wall St since 1932.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

UGH!!!

Europe still.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's a handy site for anyone with money left for electronics purchases. It reviews all the data (historical prices, current prices, and even new models in the pipeline) and tells you whether you should buy, or wait. I plugged in one camera model to see how the program works, and it said to wait; there was an 83% probability prices would come down in 2 weeks.

www.decide.com

That's because there is a 94% probability of a financial meltdown before that!

Thanks Darius. I can't go to that other site without being sad for the family who got stranded in the mountains, and the dad left the vehicle to try and find help, and died. He was an owner and reviewer on...can't remember the name....? CNET.

Market is UP today. Help - I want off this roller coaster!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Anything to keep our minds off europe and on shopping!

A friend remarked that it was ironic that we could spend almost and entire day giving thanks for what we have and then as soon as the leftovers were put away go out en masse and seek to acquire more and better. But, then if we consumers don't do our utmost, waiting in the wings is the collapse of economies world-wide.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Reuters headline from today: "Wall Street Jumps on Euro Zone Optimism, Retailers".

My prediction for tomorrow's headline: "Wall Street Slumps on Euro Zone Jitters, Retailers".

Probably right!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.