Colors are nice....but ahhhhhh show me your whites

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Exquisite!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Guess with me being a zone cooler they show up a little later to the party - such a beautiful scent though! I see them and smile thinking of you, my friend...hugs

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I love the fragrance of the Brugmansia in the evening. This Double white is one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by picabo
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Rockin' backlit photo, Picabo....LOVE it

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree Picabo ~ that is a beautiful Brug photo. I can almost smell it from here. lol

I thought of this thread earlier today and marvel at how I am never too old to learn.

The butterfly ginger is giving me one last flush of blooms, albeit smaller flowers. I was working in the greenhouse and savouring the smell of it coming in the window.

Do any of you cut the ginger stalks back to the ground after blooming? I tried that this summer and sure enough, just like the cannas the ginger will develop more blooms. It has been a good summer for fragrance. Kristi

Thumbnail by podster
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Pod, Mine are just starting to bloom the first time. Can't wait for blooms, should be any day now. I did cut the cannas way back and they are already blooming again

Hi Chantell, Thank you.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Picabo, nicely done!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Did not know this 'cutting back' trick...hmmmm

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank You Donna :^))

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure how fragrant, but starting a new garden, I sometimes put in "place holder" plants like mirabilis. There are new white anemones here, and a baby rose that hasn't bloomed yet, and some baby grasses, and I find that white mirabilis is a good one season place holder that fights back weeds and can be removed. And it punches up the fading anemones. Of all the mirabilis, I think the white has the most refined leaf shape.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

This is probably the last flush of blooms on the butterfly ginger for this year. It has been a fragrant one.

I will definitely use the ' cut and come again ' treatment on these next year.

Amazingly it still has buds. I have moved it near the greenhouse where I can set it indoors on frosty nights. I hope to savor the fragrance a while longer.

Thumbnail by podster Thumbnail by podster
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kristi that is so lovely. Between that and Picabo's brug it must be heaven.

The smell definitely is heavenly. I feel like a dog when I go out in the evening and sniff the air... I start following my nose. lol

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I wish we could grow them here, early bird!

Ah... but you could. In a larger container that you could store in the garage/basement/enclosed porch. Just a thought. Mine is actually in a container due to our drought conditions. I didn't want to lose it. Off to work...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I too have been pleasantly surprised and blessed by the ginger STILL blooming - I don't know how they're doing it...but the front of the house greets me with that amazing scent each evening and the nigh blooming jasmine is COVERED on my back deck with blooms....ahhhh life IS good!!!

Can you believe it for this time of year? Amazing.

Will you be affected by that hurricane/storm Sandy?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It was 80 here yesterday. 80!

My feverfew, nasturtiums, mirabilis jalapa, salvia and anemones are all blooming. And some of the roses I installed this year are producing their first flowers. NOW!

Oh, I hope you get to enjoy the new rose blooms a bit before.... {{{ shiver }}} winter weather.

I always think the fall bloom colors are beautiful even though bittersweet.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, I agree about fall. Since I plan my garden around fall it's not so bad. When things bloom I think - I got it right!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have moved the last of the tropicals in the Greenhouse. My Butterfly Ginger is still blooming. I leave them in the ground all winter. This picture was made last week

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

A cluster of Lakeview Jasmines. Another favorite. One year it was about to bloom when I needed to bring in the plants for winter. I decided to bring it in the house. BAD choice...That wonderful fragrance on that 6'tall plant covered with blooms almost made us all sick. LOL First thing the next morning it moved to the Greenhouse.

Another favorite is the Night Blooming Jasmine. I don't have a photo of (and I lost the plant a couple years ago) Tiny white flowers but oh the fragrance. Hope to find another one.

Thumbnail by picabo

Enjoying the last of everyones' fragrant white blooms for the season.

I was surprised to find one last flush of Brug blooms this a.m. and tonight is to be dipping to frosty. The white Brug had 6 blooms, the yellow opened with one, the roselle popped its' first blooms way too late and the peach actually had one bloom. How odd.

Thumbnail by podster
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I always hate to see the Brugs go away. Now plan for Spring. LOL

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

So gorgeous.

I was given some fairly rare hydrangeas by Raulston Arboretum in North Carolina. They were not certain of their hardiness, so when I saw 30 degrees projected I tucked them into my garage. They are two zones warmer than I am, so when they send me their treasures I sometimes have to preserve them by tucking them away.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have two for you today. Both white, both fragrant and oh so lovely. First the star jasmine is blooming again in the birdroom and here it is. It must have 30 blooms on it and it smells so good.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Now, here is the unbelievable one of the two. This was purchased as a yellow lilac and has struggled to stay alive for several years. This year it really grew inches and had a few blooms this past spring. I was out walking and noticed it today. The leaves are brown from frost and these little white flowers are blooming and they smell just wonderful. What happened to my YELLOW? Whatever, it is lovely and trying so hard to be healthy and now we are expecting a storm, so I thought I would show it to you today. It may not be here in a few days. Poor baby.

Thumbnail by JBerger

Pretty, pretty! And am I only remembering the old fashioned Lilac that only bloomed in springtime or is the timing unusual too?

I need to quit looking ~ everyone is tempting me with jasmines.

Hoping you stay safe and everyone else in harms way.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

First of all, the white was yellow and I thought it only bloomed intheSpring. I do have a lilac the lavender color, that is a hybrid that blooms all summer and is more a dwarf. The white one is way out of sinc. LOL Thanks for the safety wishes we are right in the middle of the area where it is going to make landfall. Should be interesting. JB

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thinking of you today JBerger. I saw your gov talking about storm preparations. I hope you are as far as possible from it all.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks Donna. If you want to see it on your PC you can go to http://nj1015.com that is our local radio talk station and they keep the website up and running with all the latest pictures and all. Great public service. You too can see it if you can get the link to open. We will be fine....the waiting is a PITA. If we just knew where Sandy was going to come in it would be easier to know how bad it will be. Have a good day. JB

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

picabo - I knew at a glance that was a Lakeview - she is seriously in my top 5 for scent. She blooms year round for me - including when she's indoors...long as she gets enough light. Such a 'happy' plant! As I was hauling all the tropicals in late afternoon in preparation for 'Sandy' (not to mention tis that time of year) - I realized the Lakeview was missing. My heart dropped. Went down the stairs from the deck and found her over turned pot lying on it's side - the plant 1/3 the way out of the pot. Gotta love that resilent plant - despite this (God knows how long) treatment she had new growth....whew!!!

JB - I mentioned on another thread to check in to DG as you can...prayers headed your way. Hugs

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

WAKE UP! Time to smell the Mandevilla. At least this one, Mandevilla laxa or Chilean Jasmine. First bloom for this young plant and it has more coming and loves it in the greenhouse. Thought about bringing it out on the deck but I did not want to move it just now.
Enjoy the sweetness of Jasmine and the beauty of the Mandevilla.

This time of year people are outside and enjoying all the beauty of nature. I am still a lover of WHITE FRAGRANT PLANTS no matter what time of year it is. Have a wonderful summer and hurry back to me when the weather gets colder. I hate being here alone. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Rose Alba semi-plena (the White Rose of York)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mmmmm - love the scent of these daturas

Thumbnail by Chantell
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Rhododendron 'English Roseum'

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Y'all are killing me. At night I get out and walk through the plants. I love the fragrances after dark, even the simple herbs smell strongly.

I have noticed how the white variegated plants glow in the dark. I can only imagine how wonderful, how beautiful your white bloomers will smell.

Making me want to start a moonlight garden but where in the world would I plant it??? Too many plants, too little space!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Rose Jacquelyn DuPre - the scent is wonderful! First two pics. Four feet tall.

Rose Marie Pavie - a scented bloom machine at three feet.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Donna - would you describe the scent of those two please i.e. spicy or sweet or old timey rose scent?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just went out and picked a flower of each to check.

Jacquelyn DuPre is old timey rose and quite strong.

To my nose, Marie Pavie is mildly spicy. But it produces so many flowers at once that the scent is intensified. The picture shows the buds of Marie Pavie on July 7. Today dozens of flowers are in bloom. It was originally a Pickering recommendation. I needed a continually blooming rose to put around Madame Hardy, asked for a polyantha and they came up with this, so I purchased two. But it is such a strong and beautiful rose, spectacular in its flowering and disease resistance, that the two are now the star of my front bed, and made me look at polyanthas in a whole new light.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.