Colors are nice....but ahhhhhh show me your whites

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh my...I must have one of them... I've been dragging my feet trying to decide on a couple of roses to plant. I only have a townhouse so my yard space is limited. I'd already decided on an old one named Felicia...and now I'm eyeballing those two you're describing. I LOVE a spicy scent but obviously easier is better (read disease resistant)....ahhh the choices...

Hmmm their web page states they don't ship to the US - is there someone 'here' that you order from?

This message was edited Jul 12, 2013 11:53 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pickering is probably going to resume mailing here next spring, but I have been getting most of my roses from Roses Unlimited (they are fantastic) or Chamblees (they are very, very good). You can get Marie Pavie from Roses Unlimited. If you want Jacquelyn DuPre the only supplier is Heirloom Roses. I don't generally recommend them. They have lots of supporters but their roses are very small, stay single stemmed for months and take a good year to be strong enough to bloom, despite costing as much as the others.

Do try to get an own root rose. I met Peter Schneider (author of Right Rose, Right Place) last year and he enthusiastically recommended Roses Unlimited. I got roses from them that were in bloom UPON ARRIVAL, established quickly and are quite large. All of their roses are own root.

Pickering Roses are HUGE bareroots. When I was planting on former farmland they were my go to (biggest roses, cheapest roses, cheapest shipping) but two foot bareroots are hard to plant amongst trees.

If "Marie" is your choice then you can go with Roses Unlimited. That's what I'd do. I'm actually going to order two more of them. All of my recent roses are from them, and I've been ordering for ten years. MP is a completely delightful rose, and if you just have a few, it's great to have a bloom machine. People are buying Knockouts for the qualities polyanthas, which are 100 year old roses, have. Intense rebloom, disease resistance, reasonable size. And you'll have something different. I get the "gasp! What is that beautiful little rose?" thing all the time.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Donna - thank you SO much...what great/helpful information. So much nicer to hear from others that have 'been there - bought that' and get their take on it. I will book mark Roses Unlimited for sure. And I do like 'different' - when I bought my townhouse 11 years ago - everything (not that there was much) got dug up - the tree that was original planted by the builders had died years prior....so I got to start from scratch. LOL - which is good or bad depending who you ask. I certainly don't have a Martha Stewart cover yard...but the scent in most seasons....ahhhhhh and certainly not the flowers/shrubs/vines you see in any yards around me.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Starting from scratch can be great, can't it? That's what I did at my last house. No need to undo the mistakes of others. Nothing ho hum. I would go through books just to see what I like. Then I'd figure out whether I could grow it. Then where to put it. And what to add to it.

It sounds to me like you did the same thing. I am in an older community now and everyone seems to have done all their planting after examining the yards around them. So lots of hostas and daylilies and Rose of Sharon and yuccas. But almost no roses other than Dr. Huey, the root stock used for many hybrid teas. I pulled out some suckering thorny Crimsom Pygmy barberries and put in a deutzia Chardonnay Pearls I was gifted. Sweet little thing. Completely hardy. And I see it nowhere else.

Watching it go through its bloom sequence is fun. And in full flower, it's white!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I was searching around for unusual & fragrant shrubs/trees & came across this place in Oregon, they have an AMAZING selection of trees I've never heard about & many, many fragrant ones!! I can just see my entire retirement fund disappearing!! 😝 http://www.greergardens.com/TREES%20&%20SHRUBS%201.htm

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My only caveat about Greer. I purchased from Greer many years ago and ordered a then rare Cotinus Grace from Greer and from Forest Farm (another amazing Oregon nursery). My only caveat is that they sent me the wrong shrub, and the one they sent me was a very conventional and widely available shrub (Velvet Cloak), and I did not know it until it matured two years later. I figured that they ran out of Graces and sent velveT Claok as a substutute.

Forest Farm, on the other hand, sent me two of the correct shrub. I ordered a second one to replace the incorrect shrub, once I realized that I had not received what I ordered. I have ordered a lot of unconventional items from Forest Farm, and I have always received what I ordered.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2013 7:25 AM

Dahlonega, GA

Haven't visited with you in several years Chantell , Just checking in to tell you how much I enjoy the M O O you sent me . I moved it to Texas and have several blooming plants , rooted from it . It's blooming now and would send pictures except my camera broke and haven't replaced it yet . Hugs , and I will continue to lurk .

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

!! Sally !! How are you my friend!?! I've not been on DG for months...so glad I popped in to 'see' you! That MOOs an easy one, isn't she? Now you need to get a 'Lakeview' Jasmine...another easy one with an equally nice scent. The one I had for years sadly got knocked off the deck unbeknownst to me summer of 2012. By the time I realized it...it was too late. Took some digging through notes but I found the ebay seller I purchased it from. The only thing blooming for me is my Tea Olive out in the yard...but WHAT a fragrance!!! So what's new at your end of the world?
Hugs!!

Dahlonega, GA

In Texas for the winter .I'll see if I can find that Lakeview .
Is the tea olive the same as Sweet olive ? My DDinL has one and it's scent was all over the yard . It's on my list for Texas AND Georgia
It's the same old , same old with me , just getting older and fatter .
Don't leave for too long , dear ,I like to keep up with my plant buddies .

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Silly girl...we're aging like a fine wine...don't cha know?! If you want the name of the ebay seller (she's got lots of smellie goods) dmail me and I'll let you know. Hmmm maybe it is sweet olive...I found it in my journal: PlantFiles: Sweet Olive, Fragrant Tea Olive. Osmanthus fragrans http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1450/
LOVE the scent of these blooms!!! Which btw - are white...perfect for this thread

Dahlonega, GA

That's it . That's it . My DDIL has one in her front yard and we smelled it as soon as we got out of the truck about 75 ft away . I hunted and hunted but couldn't find the source of the smell . She came home from church and cut me a blossom from it to smell and I knew I had to have two . One for here in T and one for G. I wish I had known how easy it is to root because I would have taken cuttings from hers. Hers is only two years old in N. Georgia and already 7' tall and filled with blooms . That was in Oct .

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That sounds positively YUMMY!! I have plans on buying one that I've had my eyes on and putting it in the front flower bed against the house beside the stairs...then I can simply sit n sniff. How great is that?!?

Dahlonega, GA

Smart move , but give it some room .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.