What's happening in your neck of the woods friends , Fall/11

Victoria Harbour, ON

When next I need a chesterfield Carol I'm thinking of getting something similar..the big couch,love seat and arm chair takes so much space in the family room.

Glad you are up and running Susan

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

well, I'm up, but with my bronchial cough, I'm not running....... feeling a little run-down, actually......

Victoria Harbour, ON

I say 'running' because you are like an energizer bunny running on batteries...I'm starting to feel lazy after hearing all you do!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol well, I just cleaned the inside of my car - vaccuumed and used "spot shot" on the carpets, and upholstery, and used Orange Clean on the hard surfaces. I'm about done in - so tired and only did the inside.... geeze - what would I be like if I had washed the outside?!?!?!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning..

Watching 9/11 Memorial ..prayers for the families who are remembering and re-living the events of 10 years ago and for the heroes who lost their lives...both American and Canadian!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Beautiful service or Remembrance .. I think everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing 10 years ago on this date.

Another VERY warm day here .. I take it NorthWestern Ontario is setting records these past few days ..

What an amazing moon out there last night !!!!

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Kids all came over this morning now all out on bike trail..unexpected visit by all but nice..now I know why I cook so much when I do cook...homemade stew..sure smells yummy! Guess this beautiful weather has everyone enjoying!

Should be outside, still much to do before next weekend...

Did run into town before 8am and habpve everything ordered between yesterday and today..so Saturday should be well organized for mom's 80th.
Now if it's a sunshine day it will be perfect!

Hope the stew was good Betty .. usually always is ..

WEATHER change here .. cooler .. and, a thunder boomer on tap for later. Add to that a forest fire burning just about 20 miles north of us and it's kind of a dreary day.
As well, a home about a quarter mile west of us burned to the ground around 6am this morning .. heard the fire engines and had NO idea .. seems lucky no one was injured .. but the house is just sticks !!!

Physio was challenging .. Mondays are always the worst .. but, as the week wears on I creek back to life LoL
See my doc tomorrow .. and will try and find out if he'll order an MRI, and then something to knock me out before I go into it !! I have claustrophobia to the MAX !!! Since it's my shoulder, my face would be covered .. soooooooooooo .. gonna have to do some heavy thinkin on it too ..

Best get a handle on supper before the storm hits

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

hit some rain coming home from work bit it's sunshinenhere so west watered everything ...trying to keep a few flowers alive until mom's party Saturday. Started to burn rubbish in back pit but too damp ..had hoped I could clean it out before the weekend but think it is a no go!

Sorry to hear about the fires "M", thank goodness no one lost their lives..hoping they don't get any closer to you..

I feel for you..had that MRI and I'm not claustrophobic and I had a terrible time! Got to say I will have to be next to dying before I'd get it done again!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!
Anyone got a 'clue' on how to THICKEN jelly ? I made more cranberry jelly, I guess the berries have ripened and changed .. this batch did NOT set (thicken)
I am going to put the jelly back in the pot and redo it .. BUT .. there are so many options .. add more sugar, add more pectin ..??
Anyone had any experience with this ?

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

try adding a little lemon, and more sugar, while cooking it some more.
Lemon apparently helps the pectin set, so you don't need to add more pectin.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh, and did you process it in a hot water canner?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M check on the pectin website- I think they give suggestions about what to do if it does not thicken.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I started the antidepressant meds Sat night. I a on the lowest does for one month while body gets used to it, then will increase. Sat night had lots of nausea and finally got up and took gravol, but during the day I am constantly drowsy and wanting to sleep in fact that is what I did most of Sunday. Gets a bit better each day .
Monday I started physio for the back/leg issue, have exercises to do twice a day, always tough to get me to do that but I will persevere.
Today had the 3rd dental session and then to the doc to have the basal cell carcinoma removed, will not have biopsy results for 2-3 weeks she says.
Tomorrow I cancelled my accupunture and am just staying home. Have a couple of peony roots to get in the ground as they arrived last week. It has been rather cold and miserable here, hope it improves tomorrow. I hear some areas in eastern AB and Sask had frost and there was snow in some areas of Manitoba!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oooooh Carol - sorry to hear you're going through depression - I know it's been tough on you lately, but didn't realize it had gotten so bad. ((((((((Carol)))))))))) I'll keep you in my T&P

Yikes - I'd heard there was frost in Edmonton last week, but hope we can stave it off for awhile longer in Calgary - at least until after the weekend, so I can get plants in (have some re-potting/pulling up to bring into the house).
My datura has a bloom on it (the one in a pot) but my brugs aren't budding yet. One has to be potted as it's in the ground, and I know it won't bud this year. It's quite large though......

Susan and Carol .. thanks for the info .. am going to re do everything this afternoon .. I sure hope it thickens, be a shame to have to label it 'PANCAKE SYRUP', specially since we don't consume many pancakes in this house.
Apparently, the ripening of the fruit is the root cause of the lack of thickening this time round. Kind of fascinating to read about fruits interaction with sugars etc ..

Well .. I am awaiting a call/mail to tell me the date for my shoulder MRI .. I also have meds to be used as sedation prior to it .. not fussy on them though, but, am surely not wanting to become overly stressed .. wouldn't it be lovely if the MRI was able to just scan the one area asked for .. kind of like an XRay .. then there'd be none of this being placed into a 'tube'

WHOA is it windy here tonight .. and .. the temps are lowering .. will reboung this weekend though but only to the low 20s
There has been snow (light and non sticking) in some more northerly areas .. and FROST is in the forecast for Tursday morning ..

YAWN ... gonna try for a bit of sleep sitting up :-(

~M~

Well .. it's a 'done deal' .. I RE made the jelly .. added more sugar and lemon .. cooked it longer .. jarred it, put it in the hot water bath, and am now hearing the lids seal "POP" !! We'll see if it thickens, or, if I do indeed have syrup. If the latter happens I'll be looking for recipes to use the 'stuff' in .. as I read it, the berries ripened as they sat in the bowl which decreases the pectin in them which in turn decreases the ability to thicken .. live and learn ^_^

Sure having a hecuva fall day here .. sunny with a brisk wind .. downright NICE :-)

Making a Taco Salad for supper .. haven't made one in years .. best get on with it ..

TTFN

~M~

PS .. hope you're feeling better Carol .. and thanks again to you and Susan for the advice re the jelly.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all, yikes yesterday I was in summer garb, this morning dressed for the fall and now, wouldn't hurt to put a jacket on...wind is high, looks like rain..great night for cuddling..guess that is why I have a kitty at my side.

"m" I have problems as well getting my jams to thicken..think that is why I do freezer jams.

I see on the weather channel that norther Ontario and areas of Alberta could have frost..souks falls had a few flurries as well as Jeralton (?)

I was thrilled to see sunshine predicted for Saturday..icon stayed the same till late afternoon, now it's overcast..watch it change tomorrow to rain! Drats

You would thing with all the technology they could have almost like the gateway you are checked at the airport..simply walk in slowly and it does a total build up of you body so they can see every part of you on a monitor. 3d no less...I'd go for that..you know my thoughts on MRI. but then I never tried sedatives!

Carol, sorry to hear you are feeling down..you've had so much to contend with..perhaps for a few weeks it will do you good to rest and gain some strength..terrible how they give meds to help one ailment and it causes 3 more.

Both you and Susan will have to start bringing in your potted plants..hear that you are having cold nights much like we are..trees out front are blowing and bending with the wind..cold inside so guess it's time to put the heat on!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ if you overrippen the fruit, you're right, it won't thicken as well because it doesn't have a lot of natural pectin anymore. According to a book I was lent today, you could also include some partially ripened fruit as well........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Started to warm up this afternoon, hope I can get those peonies in the ground tomorrow. I have two and there are 6 more to come probably not for another 2-3 weeks.

Feeling much better today, did not nap until late afternoon which is normal for me.

This morning I went out and bought a pedal exerciser. Physio suggested a stationary bike but that means going to a gym, not my thing. She said this would be OK too. Nice thing is I can just have it sitting in front of my lazy boy and pedal away while I watch TV!

Just talking to a family who is surrendering a 10 month old pup to us! Poor decision on their part, at least he is still young enough it will be easy to get him trained. And probably easy to find him a home too.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

10 mo old pup? They probably got it thinking it was a good thing for their family, and now realize it's more work than they bargained for..... silly people! You'd think adults would think these things through.......
It's going to be much warmer tomorrow, Carol - 23c they say! Better take advantage of it now, and I think this may be the last we get for Quite awhile.....
Pedal, m'girl, Pedal!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ohhh 47 degrees here this morning, up goes the furnace to take the chill away! So dark outside, sure reminds you that fall is just around the corner!

carol, so many exercise machines/bikes on the market but they take up so much room...I bought a wii fit program and for awhile I was doing exercising every morning and then got lazy..best I get back at it, could be why the pounds are adding up!

Was looking in the pet store the other day and saw families looking in at the kitties and puppies, all saying 'I want, I want' and wondered how many would give in, get a pet and realize within a few months it wasn't for them? Perhaps that is what happened with this family...just a pup so should be easy to find a permanent home right? Do you have a list of names of people wanting to be matched up with a dog?

Glad you are feeling better Carol...

33.3F here this morning Betty .. furnace came on at 3am and ran off and on til after 8am .. HEAVY frost ..

Am , on the fly here .. I don;t know if you can read the recipe in this pic, if not, I can post it ..
5 minute chocolate cake in a mug made in the microwave .. just HAD to try it .. and .. it worked !!!

Let me know if you want the recipe posted ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

OOPS .. kinda teeny huh ? I'll post the recipe after .. SOooooooooooooo easy ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

When I enlarge it goes fuzzy "m". Yikes frost? Weren't you just saying how hot the days were...weather changes high's/lows daily..never know how to dress

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'd like to see the recipe posted too, ~M~!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's my little exercise machine in place, all ready to go.Friend suggested I pedal during ads while watching TV- that should give me the right amount of time per day! It is accumulative so I just need to try to do abut 20 minutes per day!

Lovely day here, got my two peony roots planted and some trimming started in the front beds.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh NEAT!! nice and compact! I have a stepper that I used last night. I Could Not get a tiny nerve in my thigh to settle down, and I know that means I will not get to sleep. The other night I didn't get to sleep until 3:30 am because of it.
Well, last night I got on the stepper for 10 minutes, and I'll be darned if that didn't settle down that annoying nerve!
I've tried stretching, etc, but that never works, nor does my hand held massager. But, the stepper Did work, so I'm going to get on it every night before I go to bed and see if it continues to help.
btw - as it's a stepper, I have to stand to use it. Your recumbent pedaller looks like it would be more likely to be used.

Here's the recipe :-)

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well..
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again..
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT !
(this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

This is as easy as it sounds, and tastes like a cylindrical 'brownie'. The one I made fed 3 people

ENJOY!!

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yummmmmmy sounding, ~M~!!
I shall have to try it this weekend!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yummy, must give it a try..mind if I post recipe on another thread?

Carol, very compact..now that is more in tune to what I would use..who knows maybe all this talk of exercise will have me turning on the wiifit!

Yikes, frost in my region, hate to go look at my gardens, was hoping there would still be flowers in bloom for mom's party tomorrow..will wait until I have my coffee before checking it out, don't want to spoil my morning coffee..

Off to check weather for tomorrow??

Betty .. fingers and toes crossed for you for a picture perfect day tomorrow .. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your Mom, and Kudos and hugs for you for all your planning and arranging.
You might remember about 2 summers ago I planned a June 'outdoor party' .. Gord's BDay, Lorna's parents were here, just a first party of summer .. sent out invites, made phonecalls, placed orders etc .. 7 days before we had a DELUGE of rain .. for 2 days straight !! The property was a quagmire .. :-(
I had to cancel .. still am using the paper plates and fancy serviettes !!!

Re the Cake in a Mug .. I used dark chocolate choc chips, next time I would use just 1-2 tablespoons of them, made it too sweet I think, but, all in all .. when eaten warm, WOW .. a good recipe !!

Busy day on the menu ...

TGIF

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well, think Mother Nature is on our side..not the hottest of days nut that is ok..shows a bit of cloud so unless a storm is brewing and moves in quickly it will be fine! Ahhh too bad you had to cancel yours.what I did is rent a hall just incase..covered all the basis!

I'll make note of your suggestions on recipe..can't try this weekend but can make sure I've all the supplies!

Break is over, time to see what else I can get into!

Betty .. wishing you a day filled with sunshine .. make some great memories.
I never thought to rent a hall when I planned that party ... seems ages ago now .. I should really try it again maybe next summer ..

Another heavy frost happening here tonight overnite .. third night in a row .. lots of 'blackened' plants ready to be chucked ..

Helping out at a yard sale in support of Hospice in the morning, and here I am .. UP! I HAD been asleep, but my shoulder saw fit to entice me to get up ..
I must say, the 'new drug' .. actually an 'old school' anti inflammatory called 'INDOCID' is taking the edge off much better than ANY of the narcotics I had taken .. BUT (always THAT but) .. it sure plays havoc with me belly despite taking it with food ..

Best either nod off, or crawl back into bed with my furry entourage ..

Have a super weekend everyone ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I heard tonight that tumeric is a good anti-inflammatory spice. Take with apple juice, rice, or fruit!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Brrr low 40's, sure hope it warms up quickly!

Want to sit and gab, no can do, so much had to be left to the last minute!!

Hope you all enjoy your day!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Have a joyous day, Betty - say Happy Birthday to your mom for us!!

Still transcribing the minutes from the meeting yesterday.
This afternoon we have a Cleaning Bee at the church hall, in preparation for the Fall Supper on the 24th...
I have to be there, cuz I called for it, and best to get some coffee & donuts for the crew! lol

Hope everyones activities turned out as successfully as the one I was involved with for Hospice.
The yard sale was well attended and I have a hunch we made a fair chunk of coin :-)
The weather was OVER the top beautiful .. a glorious fall day here ..

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, yesterday was indeed a glorious day! Everything went perfectly, even mom enjoyed!

Family stirring, best I get breakfast..be back later with photo's and chat

UGgggggggggggggggggg ... here I sit in the kitchen and, in front of me are FOUR (4) BUCKETS of apples from our apple trees .. I'm thinking I am going to be needing more flour and Crisco before I can even start to tackle them. Just baked the LAST frozen apple pie from last fall today.
Love the harvest, but, my body is kinda 'on strike' these days .. altho, my shoulder is feeling, I'd say, 35% better ...

SO HAPPY to hear your BDay 'DO' went well Betty .. I thought of you often during the day ..

Guess I should get going .. supper to prepare, and, perhaps I'll peel ONE bucket of apples ... must find Lorna .. good job for her LoL

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.