Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1205582/

Hope this works out ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Seems to have worked ...

I'm off to be a 'prep cook' .. offered stir fry for supper and now everyone is out and I am left to be the chopper, shredder, slicer !!! Something tells me my shoulder is going to groan over this !!!

Enjoy your day everyone ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks, I started earlier today to switch over then got busy...LOVE the fall leaves..oh/oh it's a coming!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, it's a-coming We have rain from 3am today and it's now noon.......
and it's only 8c! brrrrrr
I picked some mint this am and I'm going to make jelly!
Betty - sounds like you're doing a lot of work on your mom's b-day party - don't overdo!

Marilyn - same goes for you - don't overdo. Your poor shoulder!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not hard work Susan, just keeps me busy!!! lol that I need, you know the old saying about the devil being unable to corner you if keep busy..out of mischief is my main goal.

No rain until Saturday/Sunday..
was thinking of going to look for wallpaper tonight for my bedroom, give it a new look..was really country and now I'm trying to modernize it..doing it in black/white/red..I'd say I'm 1/2 done..did the back bedroom a few months ago from country to modern and like it...

Might give me something to do this weekend.

Susan .. 8c at NOON~~~ we had 8C at 6am ... but it warmed up to 25C

As much as I do NO want to think about it, I know the leaves are going to start falling. My grands were here today and both are SO happy to be going back to school .. Brooklyn is going into grade 8 and can hardly wait to be done it so she can go into HIGH SCHOOL !! Austin is just missing his mates .. he's going into grade 5 and is filled with all sorts of ideas for science projects !!! Looking back, I don't think I was EVER excited to go back to school LoL

Stir fry turned out well .. and I DO have a bit of an angry shoulder .. but not quite as bad as I had thought ..

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, it's 7c now, and it's the Hot part of the day LOL
Leaves are falling here - just don't turn colour :-(
I used to love going to school - new outfits, and new friends!! And that was for all years except Grade 3

Finally went and took a pic of the Sunflowers I have been talking about.
They were planted from seed, and ar well over 7-8' high .. just now heading up into flowers .. gonna be lotsa happy birdies around here ..

In the pic as well is one of those 'FAUX WASPS nests' .. now .. I have NO idea if that is what kept the wasps at bay this year (I have 2 up) .. but, the incidence of them buzzing along and through the patio has been diminished by I would say at least 80%

Looks like we MAY get a KABOOMER storm .. there's such a BEAUTIFUL breeze outside .. but the clouds are hovering overhead and the skies are darkening ..

Off to check on supper

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

They are indeed tall.. I had several faux hives and I found them to work...they are very territorial and so once their hive has been deserted and they see these they move on..imagine someone thinking of manufacturing such a thing. Lol

Stayed home today, not up to par, slept all day and now I'm heading to bed but not sure I'm very tired..how were the pies "M"?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hope you get the rain you want, Marilyn - gentle, soaking, rain with no damage!!

So far NO rain or thunder boomers, in fact, it;s quite 'close' in the house .. perhaps it'll happen more towards morning.
Am going for a quick trip to the border to pick up a parcel .. would prefer not to have to drive in the rain!

The Blueberry pie was good Betty .. I think I may have enough to make ONE more, or, blueberry tarts perhaps .. will look up some recipes for them online now that I'm up for a bit.
Sure hope you feel better today ..

TGIF, hope everyone has a terrific LONG weekend ^_^

~M~

Guess I should not have been so quick to dimiss the weather .. this article is about MY area .. the storm narrowly missed us, but, we had ICE CUBE sized hail .. have a pic still on my camera. We sustained no damage, unlike some in the area ..
Scary stuff .. and .. both dogs knew something was UP well in advance of the storm ..
Here's the link ..

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=162041

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Did you send it my way "M" ..lightning in the sky, winds are up, humidity is highest it's been all summer! Something is brewing...

So glad I've nothing planned for the weekend..family is busy on last summer outing/school shopping etc soot will be me, myself and I..

Betty .. I would remove anything from outside that could sustain damage from BIG hail .. we were SO lucky .. only a few CHUNKS fell on our property !!

Stay safe

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Had the a/c off all week but just put it back on as it's just so hot/humidity have a glass liquid barometer and it's right over the top! With that being said I guess it's the reason for headache..time to take some meds...headaches always seem to be brought on by weather!

"M" there is so much out in my gardens that I wouldn't know where to start so I'll just have to take my chanced!

What do you all have planned for the weekend? Largest weekend project here is to cut the grass..Cathy hasn't been well lately and she comes over every Friday to do my lawns, this week I told her not to!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

don't have anything planned for the weekend, Betty - looks like the weather will be warm though. Kinda looking forward to that, as it's been raining on and off for 3 days... some pretty big rain and wind, too. No T&L though, thank goodness!
I suppose I will make more fruit cakes for sale. I have two cooling right now.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I found you and though we still have almost 3 weeks to Fall, it's beginning to feel a bit like it around here at times.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

We too are having fall temps with it being very cool in the evenings but the sun is warm during the day. We had some rain the past two days and now the weekend is supposed to be nice.
I'm off to do laundry and stuff.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Weather is much the same in all our neighborhoods.. It's overcast, feels as though it will downpour at any minute..still in my jammies, playing with sewing, if it weren't for the fact that I need a few groceries I'd be staying inthem all day. Had thought I'd drive to Meaford today but think I'll hold off, likely a lot of traffic.

So here I am, going through Christmas materials thinking of finishing up the 3 "12 month of Christmas" quilts I was doing..Barb, DG Friend who visited last week brought me an entire box of Christmas fabric seeing as none are in my fabric shops as yet, perhaps after Thanksgiving...don't they know that in order to make Christmas presses. We need supplies earlier in the year.

Just realized, didn't have breakfast, no wonder I'm hungry..

Gab after, enjoy your day!!

CHRISTMAS ... glad there are folks like you in the world Betty .. I 'used' to enjoy Xmas .. but .. as the years moved along, and technology expanded, the whole 'Reason for the Season' seemed to get lost, and, with it, my 'spirit' .. I tend to go through the motions mostly now.

STELLAR day here .. 24C .. beautiful breezy day .. and have spent almost all of it outside .. am attaching a pic of Lorna MOWING the lawn in the dogs enclosure .. she kept bugging me to let her try, so I acquiesced and she did a super job :-)
Having a bonfire tonight ..

Off to rattle some dishes ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Lorna never ceases to amaze me!! What a gal...

I'm still a Christmas fanatic, do it while I can..am sure that one day I'll not be able to do what I now do..in the meantime I'll play elf!

Sun was out for first time today about 1/2 hour ago..didn't stay out long though.

A few drops (could count them) fell here and there but not enough to water the flowers so guess to or row morning I'll have to get out of this funk and water the gardens and cut the grass

Gee whizz, I must be bored, watched 'fried green tomatoes' this afternoon and now 'Star wars'. .? What is with that...oh yes, I'm too lazy to turn the channel

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

me too, Betty - so busy making cakes, etc that I never changed the channel on my "background noise"! Kept it on The Food Network most of the day lol
I went out for an errand for Bob (he was doing a bit of a job for our neighbour and Bob needed screws, sandpaper and blackjack), now that he's paid, I will go get some rum for the Christmas cakes :-)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Must be something about the weather that has us thinking Xmas lol

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'd better think summer and work outside....sooo humid..maybe if it did rain we'd get rain the humidity would drop and it would be enjoyable

Have a drink before you add the cake. Lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol I'd better go to the liquor store, and not keep thinking about the cakes - rather, I should be Doing LOL

This was around the time of year my Mom made her Xmas fruit cakes, then put them in a crock to age .. have always said I'd do it one day .. but nver have ..

Say .. is Carol OK .. haven't seen her in the forum for a bit, but, she did say her brother was coming for a visit ..

Humidity is so oppressive .. always feel bad for people with breathing problems as humidity and wonkie lungs are NOT a good mix.

Another firefighter friend has passed away .. this fellow was just in his early 50s .. brain tumor. Starting to feel odd if we DON'T have a funeral to attend every week !!

Best settle in for a bit of a sleep on the love seat ..

Toodle loo

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

When I get back from church, I'll call Carol and see if she's ok. I don't want to call before 10am on a Sunday in case she's still sleeping - it's the weekend, after all lol
If she doesn't post in the meantime, I'll let you know what I find out - unless of course she's white water rafting again, in which case I won't find her at home Or she's out in the garden - it's supposed to be a hot one today and after all the rain, she may be enjoying the outdoors!
Anyway - hope to have some good things to tell you.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Susan, don't we fret when our DG friends go missing??

Nice day being inside seeing as it's a rainy,humid day..seems I've kept myself busy this mornimg yet not accomplishing a whole lot! The furries are all snuggled in, even they prefer to be inside..

" M" sorry to hear of another friends passing..I have a funeral to attend tomorrow morning, old family friend. Does come to mind that we are of that age group! 50 is just too young!!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol's not answering - I expect she's gone away for the long weekend?!?! anyway, I left a message.

I do remember her brother was coming for a visit (Carols) .. so could be she's busy with that. And, yes, we do worry about one another .. nothing wrong with that ^_^

Well folks .. you'll NEVER guess what I HAD to do today !!! I had to turn the furnace from 'COOL' (as in air conditioning) to .. HEAT (as in, the furnace is set to come on overnight if need be) !!!!
Went out walking today and caught a wicked chill .. noticed the lower leaves on some of the brush have changed colour .. I don't even want to think about what that means !!
BBQ'd with a sweat shirt and track pants on as well.

Tomorrow it's off to a country fair .. its 99th year .. always a nice time :-)

TTFN

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Im fine folks. Thanks for worrying about me and thanks for calling Susan. Brother was here last weekend and the rest of the week I have just not been doing much- lurking here but not posting.

I bought a new sleep chair, a replacement for my moms sleeper sofa which was a double . The chair is a chair and a half with a single bed, takes up about 1/3 less room but then of course I had to go out and buy a lamp and twin bed sheets!.They took my old sofa away which was nice, it was in good shape and they give it to charity ( Lazy Boy is the store) so I did not have to bother trying to sell it of give it away.

Thursday I finally got Sassy into the groomer so they could brush her our and clip up her back end. Poor girl was getting so tired of me washing her bum she would not come when I called! She was quite snappy with the groomer but they can deal with that better than I can.

A couple of rainy days last week but nice since then. Working at LH today, very busy.

Next week start going to the denturist to have new dentures made. I lost so much weight last winter mine dont fit right any more. Have been putting it off but cant put it off any longer.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 5:02 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

So glad you're fine, Carol. I didn't realize you'd have to get new dentures for losing/gaining weight! I figured your jawline/gums would stay the same no matter what your weight was.
How was your visit with your brother - was he ok with the dog hair?
I'll bet Sassy is more comfortable now that she's trimmed "back there" lol

~M~ it's getting cool here too, in the morning - down to 3c, and then back up to 27c f'pete's sakes! But then........ that's Calgary for ya - even in the winter, when we have chinook winds you can start out with a parka and then end up in t-shirt and shorts by supper time!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, wondering why I have A/C on when it feels cool out there but weather is so changeable, by 10:00am or so it will be so hot!

Glad to hear to are ok Carol and that you've enjoyed your visit with your brother. As for the dentures, my denturist once told me you should have them replaced ever ten years or so but who can afford that? I had mine redone about 8 years ago, because part of my gum line no longer exists they had to all but fill it in so they would fit..I'm one of the luck ones, no problems with them, never take them out except to clean and can eat anything with them.

Winds up, look outside and see no signs of light in any of the homes, just this silly lady who could be snuggled in sleeping late is up for no reason..of course I have to be doing something so I'm knitting. Lol

Hope you all have something fun to fill in your day!! Enjoy

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

My DH always takes his dentures out at bedtime and puts them back in, in the am.
My mom never takes hers out except to clean.
They both eat anything with them, except my DH gets soooo many seeds stuck inside....

Victoria Harbour, ON

That you do Susan..furnace is on and I'm almost tempted to get an afghan to worm me up!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from Bettypauze :
That you do Susan..furnace is on and I'm almost tempted to get an afghan to worm me up!

ewwwwwww I wouldn't want to be wormed up!! LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lol. Told you the ipd can't spell half the time

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Truth is I dont wear my teeth most of the time, never around the house although if somebody who does not know me is coming in I put in the uppers! The denturist said they looked almost new when she first saw me and they are probably almost 15 years old! I like to eat without them too although if I am going to eat in public I glue them in otherwise the bottoms just pop up and down! There's a few things I learned not to try to eat in public like peanut butter and caramels! Even with them in I cannot comfortably eat nuts which I love. Corn on the cob is a bit difficult but I manage with just the uppers- somehow it never tastes quite the same if I cut it off the cob!

I was always told to remove my teeth at night .

And the denturist told me a loss of more than 15-20 lbs will change the shape of the jaw sufficiently that they wont fit properly.

When I was in hospital last year I never had them in the whole time ( cant wear them if I am feeling ill) and the morning I left I put them in and gave everybody a big smile as I departed!

A nice weekend weather wise here. Did a bit of gardening this morning, digging up some plants to pot up for plant share on the weekend and finally planted the two evergreen ground covers I bought a month ago! Other wise we have been just lying around reading or napping or sitting and staring into space!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ah - good, you've vindicated my sister who's grossed out that my mom leaves hers in all the time LOL
I wonder if weight gain has the same effect, Carol. My Bob has gained about 15 lbs since he got his dentures (I was told it's my good cooking - HA! He eats too many sweets is what it is, and I don't normally do a lot of baking - he buys it!)
I went to my veggie garden and weeded....... and my zucchini and cucumbers are doing well. Neither are big enough for me to pick yet (well, maybe, but Just!) so I'm just watering them for now. My potatoes are looking a bit sad - probably because I picked baby potatoes and wasn't able to set the plants back properly, but I suppose the potatoes are still growing underneath?!
My raddichio is looking good, but one of my tomato plants died - not enough water I guess, and I wasn't getting to it often enough.
I won't plant bok choy again - all stem, leaves and flowers - no veggie. I won't plant root celery again either - it just looks like one tiny plant with stems, no celery stick thingies. It doesn't even look like the roots would be worth anything - too small a plant.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I would think each has to find what works best for them..

Just realized that it was a long weekend and only time I was outside was to go to Walmart and groceries, all of one hour..what a waste of a long weekend.

Every year I debate wether I should plant a veggie garden but for one there is no sense

Nice to see you posting Carol .. good luck with the dentures .. I know they can cause problems now and again, my Mom used to hate hers, and I was fascinated with them .. kept asking her when my turn would come LoL ..

Super nice day at the Fair .. weather was 'stellar' :-) high of 18C .. cool crisp breeze .. lots of folks and food and farm animals ... did I mention FOOD LoL

All in all a good weekend ..

Lots of little ones must be anticipating the first day of school tomorrow .. brings back memories ..

Hope everyone has a great upcoming week

TTFN

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.