Silver & Gold Fall Plant Swap at Critter's Sat. Sept. 10

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Make new friends
But keep the old
One is Silver
And the other's Gold!

It's time for another Mid-Atlantic Plant Party! I'm delighted to be hosting the Fall Plant Swap this year, and I'm sorry it took me so long to firm up the date. I'm looking forward to seeing some people from the previous swaps as well as meeting other DGers from the area. We're going to have a blast!

This is our organization and logistics thread. Please post if you're thinking of coming, even if you're not sure, so you'll stay updated. We'll use this thread for food planning, also, so if you know what you might bring, please post that also. There's a separate thread for plant trading (have/want lists and trading requests) here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1210244/ Let's try to limit chat on this thread, so people can find the information they need.

WHEN: Saturday, September 10, 2011 from noon(ish) to 6(ish)

WHERE: My place in Frederick, MD. I'll Dmail directions to people who are coming, so please check the next post to be sure your name is on the list.

WHAT to bring: An appetizer or sweet to share, if you'd like, and something for the "gift table" if you'd like to participate. We won't have a set meal time; we will just "graze" from the buffet all afternoon. If all you bring is a smile, that's fine too -- just come!

Plants and seeds for swapping are fun but optional -- these events are as much or more about just getting together as they are about trading plants.

WHO is invited: DG subscribers and their guests. If you'll be bringing kids, please let me know so we can set up some play space, movies, etc. for them.

Please check the top posts of this thread for updates, more information, and links to additional threads.

THANKS!

:-)

Critter

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 1:00 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Who is planning to attend
Critter (Jill), DH Jim, and Joyanna
Theresa, Al & Irene (Jill's friends)
Ruby & John
Pippi (& DH?)
Catbird 423
Donnerville
SallyG
Greenthumb99 & ecnalg
FoxnFirefly
ssgardener
Aspenhill (Terri)

Buffet items!

dumplings
brownies
chicken salad
"some kind of" salad
crispy cole slaw
chips
pita chips clad in clam dip
k-bars
fall salad
bread & bruschetta (garden or otherwise)
autumn casserole
Yankee iced tea
mozarella sticks
mini egg rolls

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 7:49 AM

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 8:01 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

reserved for other details

I don't think parking will be a concern, but if we run out of space in the driveway and nearby on the cul-de-sac, we can park just up the road at the community center by the pool (anybody coming in from Ballanger Creek Rd. will drive past it).

I wanted to mention that the asian tiger mosquitoes have been pretty fierce out back since the recent rain (there's still a field behind us). If we have the lovely weather we're hoping for, we don't just want to hide inside from the bugs. Covering up (lightweight pants, shirts with longer sleeves) helps. I've got "Deep Woods Off" to spray us with, and I'll light some citronella candles on the deck.

If needed, we'll designate a smoking area in the front yard. Thanks!

:-)

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 11:39 PM

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter, thank you very much for hosting the swap. Please count me in. I will bring dumplings.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

WAHOO!! Please put my name on the list of those coming. How about some chicken salad and brownies?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yippee! You're both quick off the mark, noticing the new thread. :-) Dumplings, chicken salad, brownies... check... and YUM!

I've got a new little gravel "patio" area that's in partial shade in the afternoon, and depending on the forecast we might set up another canopy for shade on the side patio. We'll keep the food inside and use the kitchen island as a buffet.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Tweedledee signing up here - gotta get Tweedledum on board as well :-)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd like to come and maybe I can talk DH to come along this time. I see you have me down. I mentioned something to Christiane(Orchidfancy) today about the upcoming swap.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, I put your name on the list after I got your email. Would love to meet your DH, and hope Christienne can come, too!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Ditto WaHOO!

Crispy (sugar and vinegar) cole slaw to go with chicken salad.
Gallon of brewed unsweetened iced tea.
Robins brownies are to die for- watch out I might fake car trouble and sit and eat extra brownies. But then I get less dumplings- dang it! Robin you ARE riding with me
= ^)

THank you Jill !!

Crozet, VA

Yippie.....sign me up for chips and dip types of foods please. Can't wait to see everyone again.

Ruby

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

uhhhm, sign me up for some kind of salad ^_^

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool!

I just picked my first ripe tomato finally (yum!!), so if my plants behave themselves I'm hoping to put out some bread & bruscetta... but I've learned not to promise tomatoes until they've ripened! LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will be coming--of course--unless Sally does not want me to ride with her any more....Boooo....Hooo.....:o(

As for food---will think on it a bit....I want to bring something really good....

Well--that didn't take long.......GOT IT! By Joe.....

I will bring my SIL's famous Clam dip and a bag of Stacy's Simply Naked Pita Chips for digging it all up....
They are also good for scooping up your fresh Tomato Salsa--Jill.....

Jill--Do you plan to have Bec--the bar-tender-extraordinaire-- mixing drinks again?
If NOT--I could bring a Box of Wine....Can't party w/o wine. At least--I can't!!! Let me know on this!

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll give it some thought, might put the "magic bullet" to use with DIY slushy drinks, but certainly anybody is welcome to bring whatever wine, beer, or particular soft drink they'd like. (We'll have soft drinks, but I don't guarantee having "caffeine free diet purple sarsparilla with extra tiny bubbles" or whatever somebody's very favorite might be, LOL.)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Quote from critterologist :
We'll have soft drinks, but I don't guarantee having "caffeine free diet purple sarsaparilla with extra tiny bubbles" or whatever somebody's very favorite might be, LOL.)

In that case, I ain't coming - I must have sarsaparilla with tiny bubbles!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have you on my would like to do list.. let you know as it gets closer if we are too involved with halloween or not

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry to say Holly and I will be enroute home from OBX that day. We'll have to see about swinging by to say "Hey". Ric :-{

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It would be cool if you could make it down, Allison!

Aww, Ric, I hope you're able to drop in at least. I could offer to save you a couple of Catbird's brownies, but I'd need to find a pretty good hiding place. ;-)

Gita..do we have to "get naked" to eat those chips you're bringing> LOL? I couldn't resist making a joke out of that. Hey, combine those Naked chips and wine and you never know.

I'm still thinking what I'll bring. Jill, do you need any paper products like napkins, paper plates and cups or plastic cuttery? I always have that on hand.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Pippi, I think I'm set there but I'll double check. You could bring just a smile, and that would be more than enough. If you're looking for "fun & easy," maybe a bag of pretzels and some honey-mustard to complement Ruby's chips & dip? I'm really not worried that anybody will starve. :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pippi---
I don't know about YOU--but I hope I am never seen "simply naked" by anyone....

My brain keeps meandering about what food to bring. I know I announced a choice--but
other things mull through my mind...Like a load of Deviled Eggs? Muffin Pizzas??? Spinach balls??, etc..

Jill--please let me know if you have any wishes....
Wish I could make up my mind.....Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The "famous clam dip" sounded good to me! If you're looking for an alternative, though, you know how we all love those garlic pickles you make.

I'll probably hit Wegman's for a little assortment of goodies from their mediterranean bar when I pick up some good rolls/bread to go with the bruschetta I hope to have (and if my tomatoes doesn't cooperate, we'll have to make do with olive tampanade, mushroom bruschetta, various flavors of hummus, etc).

Crozet, VA

You guys are making me very hungry. I too might think of bringing along something that will travel well along with the same thoughts as Jill...I doubt that anyone will go hungry that day.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK, Jill--I will stick with the Clam Dip (I LIVE it!!!) and the Stacy's Pita Chips....

Put me down for that...No more changing my mind..... Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow! Been away and out of touch. By all means Pat (ecnalg) and I will attend. Pat will make her Special K Bars and I will make a fall salad. I've got to pack up and head out again, so I can't partake in the chit-chat. Don't mean to be unsociable.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh, special K bars... a favorite from my mom's kitchen, too! (I know the fall salad will be delicious, too, but it probably won't have chocolate, so... )

Gita, of course!
Yum yum yum

Can we chat plants here or is there/ will be another thread? I don't want to bring much but would happily bring things that can be arranged. (redbud seedlings quickly
becoming saplings 8 ^})

Yankee tea- LOL guess that makes me a darn Yankee tee hee. I can bring sugar sweetened too?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

why must I always be tweedledum....rotflol....I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make this one. :( We're leaving for the beach the following weekend...and I've got vending again...hmmm let me try to work out the logistics. Had to smile when I saw David's post above...remembering the plant that sweet Pat talked about that I was so interested in - should've seen the look that David had when I mentioned it....LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Plant Chat Thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1210244/

Chantell, I sure hope you'll be able to juggle your schedule and come!

Sally, unsweetened tea is fine, especially with a little mint added to the glass (and you know I have mint. I have sugar, too, as far as that goes.). LOL

OK thanks!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure, but I might be offline for about a week. Nothing wrong, not to worry, and I'll get back to this thread just as soon as I can. I sent out a Dmail blast to MD subscribers last night (with a nonworking link, but I'm sure people will find us anyway!). I need to update my lists of VA & PA subscribers, so those blasts might not go out for another week, but that'll work.

Big HUGS! and hopefully I'll be back sooner rather than later.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for organizing this! This would be my first ever plant swap.

I'm not 100% sure I can make it, but I'm looking forward to it!

Hope you can ssgardnener- ! sure to be a good time!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hey, Critter & all--just saw this and of course, I've been hoping to go to another swap. I will come to your Silver and Gold if I can hitch a ride with someone else going up there. If anyone has room in their car for me and a few plants, please D-mail me. I have plants to give since the May swap that I missed.

As for food, I have to think about it. I could bring an American casserole which is a great harvest dish. It's an old recipe favorite of mine.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Count me in! Been offline for a while myself. I can't wait to see everyone again. Terri

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm back online! Turns out there was no internet access at the Deep Creek Lake cottage... talk about withdrawal! LOL, actually we were much too busy with family frolics (my parents' Golden Anniversary, Joyanna's 2nd birthday, and just general lakeside fun) for me to miss all of you too very much, but I'm glad to be back.

Welcome, ssgardener! Foxy, Terri, you know I'm looking forward to seeing you also! New friends & old, that's what events like this are all about. Oh, and plants. ;-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I added a couple things to my Haves--up above. Not much, but go check it out...
Gita

Jill,
Have you posted directions yet or did I miss it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.