Bringing this one inside shortly.

Thumbnail by TPNursery
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice orientals.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Snow on the lilies.

Thumbnail by TPNursery
South Lake Tahoe, CA

Simple bouquet of lilies on my kitchen table.
Lake Carey and Stargazer

Thumbnail by TPNursery
South Lake Tahoe, CA

Same bouquet - different lighting

Thumbnail by TPNursery
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I love the picture of the snow on the lilies. I figure it will be another several weeks before I have the same. It is really nice seeing so many lovely lilies this late in the year. Thanks.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Hey TP! A little early this year huh? We actually got an inch of rain down here in Orange county today. Hoping for another winter like last year...we need your snow pack. LOL!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Amazing the difference the light makes. If you hadn't said otherwise, I would have thought that they were pictures of two completely different lilies.

Anyone interested in trading for three Pizzazz lilies? They have grown about 4 feet and lots of blooms. I just don't care for it overmuch. I got it from The Lily Garden Spring 2010 so the bulbs have grown some since then.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Sure would like to trade for some Pizzazz. :-)

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Tigrinum Splendens lily had a grand entrance this morning -
then this afternoon it was showtime

Thumbnail by TPNursery
South Lake Tahoe, CA

OCCAROL - its to early for snow!
We had snow in June too.

You're welcome to take as much as you like.
Its still dumping on us.

At least I can enjoy the lilies that I brought inside along with the lilies in the greenhouse.
I can take a few Sorbornne cuttings from the GH and make another arrangement, even one for the bathroom!
Me and my lilies. LOL.

Thumbnail by TPNursery
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm curious...how do you keep the varmints out of them? I know there is a lot of hungry wildlife up there.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I used to live in vole city (50 lilies in a single winter, with tons of trails). I was using expandable slate until I realized that miniature daffodils, planted near lilies, scare off vole and rabbits. After a year or so they didn't even tunnel to get to them.. I think they leave each other notes.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2011 9:52 AM

South Lake Tahoe, CA

LOL Donna...thanks!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think Donna meant mini daffodils ~

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Yes, to Daffodils and to Alliums on deterring voles.
I have both planted all over the garden.
And getting more of both to accent the garden.

I also use Solar Devices the send out vibrations in the ground.
But those critters are clever! They wear ear plugs and shock absorbers.

If a vole is just another mouse, I wonder if that would work for me. As you know I had a mouse infestation (don't really know how to tell the difference - these had tails) and lost tree peonies, trees, bushes, etc. They didn't touch the lily bulbs though. Seemed mostly on the surface and bored tunnels through the snow. Maybe the Alaskan version of the vole.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ack! Thank you Moby - corrected above. I find that WP Milner, a quite demure (and CHEAP) daff works well. There were tulips and lilies I hadn't seen for years because the darned rabbits were biting the stems off.

We have kept mice out of the house for 13 years with one of those sonar things in the basement. Our neighbors all have mice. Of course, we also keep our garage door closed. Not that one doesn't get the occasional bird (I try not to panic them so they won't run into spmething), chipmunk (who LOVED the tulip bulbs I dug up and put in the garage) and recently, a baby bunny - cutest darned thing you've ever seen.

Had a real thrill recently (OK, only a lily head would feel this way). Years ago I bought, from B&D, an Easter Lily Black Dragon lone called Longidragon.

http://www.lilybulb.com/l5060.html

The picture doesn't do it justice, it's breathtaking, short, strong stems, gorgeous scent. The darned rabbits bit it to the ground every year, and tree roots began growing over it. Not only could I not get it out, But I no longer knew where it was. And the crop was decimated in the B&D vole invasion of several years ago. They lost most of theor stock of several wonderful lilies.

But I got a brainwave. I planted a couple of WP Milners where I though it would be, and lo and behold this year i emerged and bloomed. So I dug it tp. Hppy Donna. Happy Longidragon.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2011 11:19 AM

I had a black dragon but I have lost it. I hope that it surfaces as yours did. It is really gorgeous. I guess I better start investing in more daffys. Do tulips do the same thing?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Unfortunately, no. They eat the tulips. I put in tulip Hearts Delight year after year only to have the bunnies eat it. Then I added WP Milner. You can see the results!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I saw that at B&D and thought of you, Donna. I couldn't find a good enough price on daffs so I bought 150 at Sam's for $45. Couldn't beat it, big bulbs for .30 each.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Good deal on the daffs Moby.
I think I'll invest in mini's too - thanks Donna!
Ooohh...they'll look so cute in a container with other spring blooming bulbs.
Oh, gift giving time soon.....

South Lake Tahoe, CA

To keep critters away from eatting dinner in the garden,
I place sharp pine cones around the base of the plants.
This has saved my hosta's too.

I have three Albums and three Miss Lucys (although one has sent up three stems). I have had them in the ground for two summers. They grow, form buds, and at least with Miss Luch, one tries to open about now. The only thing I can figure is that they are really late bloomers and/or our summers are not long or hot enough for them. Any ideas?

Dayton, OH

Oberon, I'm not sure what kind of Lilies I've seen at the store's recently, but I've been seeing some Lilies that are blooming now, I also seen some that were blooming in the summer.

Yeah, but roseycats, what is the temp down there?

Dayton, OH

OK, You've got me there.

I think it simply gets too cold here, even though the weather is nice to me. Its about 48F now, at 4pm; been cloudy and drizzly, but not a big things. The snow is coming down the mountains all around us, so I figure the first of November for sure. Neither the mums or the asters have bloomed. So I suspect as much as I hate to ditch healthy plants, I might as well dig them up. I don't have room for non-bloomers, unless by intent, say grasses, bushes, etc. And not many of those. And the bushes actually all flower: azalea, ninebark, hydrangea, lilac, chokecherry. Even the siberian pea have tiny flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.