Lets see New lilies sprouting #5

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Well, it has actually been a pretty dry warm summer thus far. Except for the last two days. Steady downpower. And since the water table went up, the main power plugs for my pond blew the breaker. Have to go out with a hair dryer and an umbrella to pull apart the plug ins and dry them reassemble.

Even in Fairbanks schools were never closed. There were too many kids out in the outlying areas who walked a mile or so to the bus stops and parents would go to work. They were afraid that they would freeze, so buses ran no matter what. Sometimes they were late and being dumb kids we never dressed well enough. I can remember standing there with solid ice feet. Then you would get on the bus and start to thaw out. Our legs would turn bright orange and splochy and oh it hurt the get the feeling back in feet, legs, hands etc. I went to Catholic School and girls had to wear dresses. I could have worn pants under the dress then changed but noooo, not me. But even the public school kids never dressed appropriately. A wonder we didn't lose toes and fingers.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Man, I hated that about Catholic school ~ no pants. We walked to school, so in the winter it was heavy cable-knit stockings and garters. Yuk.

The winters here aren't as severe as when I lived in Minnesota, where it is fairly dry. More humid here and the cold sinks right into your bones. At least in a cold climates, really good thermal-wear is easy to find and you can always put more on. Down here, people think they need to look fashionable. Ha!

How much further off-topic can we get? LOL At least talking about winter makes me feel a bit better. :)

LOL. that must have been a sight. At least your folks made sure you dressed for the weather. I wish I had a picture of my 'outfit' my last semester at UAF (University of Alaska, Fairbanks). I was 45 years old, and had taken my time getting my degree. It was January and -50-55 and just not worth moving a car so I walked a bout half a mile to a bus stop. Between a sub-zero parka down to my knees, wool knickers, sweatshirt, wool hat and scarf covering all but my eyes with the hood up and my sorels I was toasty. With my little knapsack on my back full of books...what a sight. Assuming I could be seen through the ice fog. lol. far funnier looking back on than doing.

So, back on topic.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I must say, the off topic stuff was really fun! Like mini bios of my gardening friends.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Amazing how we lived through that stuff. Also cribs with lead paint and no bicycle helmets.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And monkey bars. And see saws. And my favorite (ah, yes, Catholic schools) obligatory recess in -20 weather. We would all stand against walls shivering in our skirts (oh yes, mstella and Mar) and beg the nuns to let us in but NOOOOO!

Oh my gosh, Donna. I guess I never thought about others going through the same thing. Don't remember going outside to play in -20 but I assume we did. Play my foot. Freeze to death more like. Yup, we survived stuff that kids today have no concept of. Try 5 gallon bucket for a privy, dirt floors, melting snow for bath water... only for a short time, but I wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh yes, the monkey bars and hanging from them by your knees. Make sure you hold your skirt down (up?) so the boys don't see your panties. But did any of us think to cover the back side?

LOL. Moby I never thought about that. I remember the merry go round and the tetherball post, and something that was a tall post with chains ending in heavy metal grips. The idea was to grab hold one hand above the other and run as fast as you could ultil you were swinging around the post, with five others doing the same. Lots of owies on that heavy metal play equipment but great fun. And the mad stampede to get to the swings first.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Don't know how many times I bashed my head climbing the jungle gym. Maybe that why I can't remember?

Well, we head into our third day of ceaseless rain. I am so afraid that my lilies, yet unfurled, will rot before or upon opening, especially the doubles. I am donning my raincoat and umbrella to inspect the grounds. :(

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Another 90 plus day for us. I took quite a few lilies and put them in pots to get better access. There are still quite a few that didn't die, but didn't bloom. But the bulbs look great! More for next year!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The heat dome finally moved away from us and the forecast for the next week is mid-80's. So happy I could just about cry!

Glad for you all!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

Moby, were you asking about the purple/blue flowers in my vase with Black Beauty?
If you are, they are Texas bluebells.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, thank you.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

L. speciosum 'album'

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

'rubrum' about to open...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Black Beauty - still blooming but near it's last bloom...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Tiny Toes - minature Asiatic in a pot (purchased and potted late)

Thumbnail by jmorth
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the small ones.

Another NOID presumably from Lowe's. It is a true rich red, very short 15" or so. You have to see this in the full size picture to really appreciate it

This message was edited Aug 9, 2011 4:47 PM

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Well, crumb. Did it again. Same flower, but the one I meant to post

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That IS red. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

very nice

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Red indeed! Nice mstella.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

rubrum
My last 'in the ground' lily to bloom.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm thinking we have September weather. I keep checking the mums to see if they ate blooming.

It's hard to believe that while your lilies are about done, my most beautiful ones are yet to pop. The asiatics are about all open, still going strong, but the tall hybrids, orienpets, are still a week or two out. I love rubrum. I don't think I have a tall one that color. Closest is Star Fighter, a short asiatic. And it hasn't opened up yet.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mstella, I am really looking forward to seeing them.

Noid I just call Lily No 3

Thumbnail by Oberon46

If we are just sort of enjoying late flowers, I caught this shot across two flower gardens that has a sidewalk between that you can't see. Starting at bottom: Purple Dragon Lamium, Godetia, Lily Grand Cru, Bachelor Buttons, NOID, Snap dragons.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful arrangement!

Alchemy - should be 60" but is only about 15" tall

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice garden shots

Thanks. I have a lot of 'just green' in some places so I like to take shots like that to show that there is a lot of color overall. I still have large lilies, monaarda, daylilies, gayfeather and Little Lamb bushes to bloom yet.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

That's why I popped in a few reblooming roses. About the time the lilies stop the roses are launching into their their third bloom. Here is Gruss an Aachen today.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

I love roses. I have three in the ground that are Rugosa so they stay in the ground year round. I have tried potting them up but they only produce one or twoblooms and that's about it. My MIL in Fairbanks, where it is really sunny and hot has a deck facing south with no obstruction. Her pots are gorgeous and loaded with blooms every year. I guess I just don't have the touch or we simply have too much rain. I can't complain though, as my gladiolas and lilies will keep going through Sept since they start late, at least the tall ones. Dimensions is open (picture to follow) and Conc d'or and Mother of Pearl are just about to go. Also dahlias, the newer ones are opening up. The ones I propagated are all open and continue to bloom. Unfortunately looks like I have only one type thus far. Missing four others.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have some in the ground and some in pots. Gruss is in a pot, which I roll into the garage every winter. I have these really cool self watering pots from Gardeners Supply that I have been using for years. It's wonderful that you have blooms so late in the season, although you certainly wait long enough for them. I think that next year I will order some speciosums to keep me going. I used to grow Uchida from B&D and a formolongi from seed. Didn't do that this year and I regret it, so I will next year.

Really looking forward to your pics!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.