Do you grow and use herbs?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 160 votes:

Yes, I cook with my herbs. (which ones?)
(96 votes, 60%)
Red dot

I grow herbs that I use in teas.
(8 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I grow parsley and fennel for the butterflies.
(8 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I grow herbs for farmer's market sales.
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I grow herbs for scenting sachets and potpourri.
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Other?. (tell us!)
(17 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I don't grow herbs.
(26 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

I chose 'other' because I grow some herbs, but I've never used them! I put them in easy-to-reach positions in flower beds so I can pluck a leaf as I go by and enjoy their fragrance.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Raise and cook with Basil, Rosemary and Dill mostly. Every couple of years I may throw in some Cilantro too.

Doug

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

"Other" here also. I agree with Ericabelle. I love to rub and smell the plants.

"Other" because I like herbs planted among the flowers or vegetables as ornamentals.

"Other" because I use them for teas and flavorings, herbs like the lemon verbena or lemon balm.

"Other" because it is mandatory to grow catnip for my feline friends.

"Other" because I dry herbs like bay leaves and oregano for use in cooking.

"Other" because I grow the dills, parsley (I love par-cel) and fennel for the butterfly caterpillars too. And must plant extra so I can have some too... lol

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes! My dill wilted over a long weekend .... but I'll buy a plant if I can find one. I eat them.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

1, 2 and 3.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Actually the only one I have been able to keep alive is my Lavender.. I love it for my sachets. It grew well here until this last winter.. was way too cold and dry and I lost all but 3 of my plants.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I grow Basil & Cilantro for FM. Also have volunteer dill. Big demand at pickling time.
DW has pots of other things she uses in cooking.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I have some parsley, marjorum, chives and lemon balm. We use the marjorum some for chicken and fish. I read somewhere that parsley is somewhat invasive. I keep the flowers cut off so it won't go all over the place. I also have a little mint, which I have to keep under control. Luciee (:^) I did not mean marjoram, but ROSEMARY. Luciee

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 3:52 PM

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow rosemary, cilantro,some ornamental sages and some Mexican tarragon but not prompted to grow others because my neighbors on both sides grow basil, oregano, lemon balm, mint, etc. They have encouraged me to take from their supply. I really only know how to use rosemary, basil, oregano, cilantro. Ive grown parsley in a giant pot in the past but did not use it much, just liked the way it looked! I plan to sow some fennel, dill and parsley in the fall for the butterflies. I wish there was a book that talked about what herb to use with which meats or veggies. I know a few but would like a reference so I could try new things. I know rosemary goes with chicken and sage goes with beef and turkey. I know the basil and oregano are great with Italian dishes. rosemary goes with potatoes and cilantro is great in Mexican dishes. And that's the extent of my knowledge of cooking with herbs. Wish I knew more.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chives, basil, mint...I need more!!!!!!!!!!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

1, 2, 5, and 6. Planted Agastache that smells like licorice along the walk to my front door.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Flat leaf parsley, oregano, dill, sage, lemon sage, basil , rosemary, and there are volunteer chives all over the place.

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Chives (which I usually think of using just once before they bolt), dill, flat-leaved parsley, rosemary (in pots because I have to over-winter it indoors), lemongrass (ditto), lavender, thyme, orange thyme, French tarragon, oregano, summer savory, lemon balm (which I think of as "Lemon Pledge plant" -- it's taking over the world), sage. peppermint, and cilantro (because it won't die!) Don't really use the lavender, lemon balm, or cilantro, but I do like and use coriander - the seeds of the cilantro. Planted a French sorrel this year, but don't know it it's going to make it.

Hazelcrest, IL(Zone 5b)

I grow herb s for cooking and for smell as well as tea. I have sweet mint, pineapple mint, rosemary, cilantro, oregeno. basil , cat nip for my kitties,chives garlic and regular, lemon balm, sage, parsley, lavender and bee balm.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

answer 1- because I dont really pursue any of the other reasons. Rosemary, parsley-flat and curley leaf, Basils-sweet box, globe, african, lemon balm, chives-onion and garlic, green onions, Sages-pineapple, common, n the other one I cant remember name of n prefer, Thyme, Curry, Cilantro, Dill, Bronze fennel, Oregano, Marigolds, Nasturtiums, a little wild hot pepper plant, cant remember all! As for cooking, take sprigs, stick em in water to the kitchen, n sniff as you cook-your nose will tell u if the flavors like each other!! I THINK this is this springs herb pot...

Thumbnail by kittriana
sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i grow them just to have the smell, spearmint, lemon mint, chocolate mint, rosemary, sage, oregano, apple mint, basils, thymes
peppermint.
i do share with neighbors that use them to cook and for teas.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

DParsons01 ~ I am growing the licorice Agastache for the first time this year. Its' delicate blooms are lovely.
May I ask if you intend to use it in any manner or just enjoy it?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I chose other because all apply except for selling @ farmer's market. I do give plants away to friends. Some of the herbs I grow: catnip for the kitties & tea; lemon balm to repel mosquitos & tea; tansy to repel garden pests; mint for mint jelly & tea; lavender for sachet; & dill for pickling. Mostly, I grow flowering herbs in my garden to attract beneficial insects & butterflies.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

For cooking of course,

But mostly to get swallowtails and monarchs and other beautiful butterflies to our garden. Some of the best for butterflies:

parsley
fennel
dill
rue
verbenas
borage
ammi
milkweeds
oreganos

More on Herbs that butterflies like: http://pantrygardenherbs.com/?page_id=915

(I don't find that the caterpillars munching on some of the herbs are much of a nuisance and indeed when they transform into butterflies they are a great asset to the beauty of any garden!)

Happy gardening! t.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I love mint teas, and the kitties love their catnip....plus, they're the only plants that the woodland critters don't eat! If I plant them around and between the plants they do like, they are much less likely to bother them!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I keep Spearmint and Chives year-round. Thyme & Sage during the summer months.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

French tarragon, rosemary, chives, lovage, thyme, basil - all for cooking.

Edited to add sage since WC's post reminded me of it!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 2:37 PM

Durango, CO

I put use for teas but I also cook with my herbs. Wish we could have selected multiple options... I don't really do parsley (except one year) or fennel, and I don't do many satchets either. I might just try them though now lol... :)

Peace trips

Thumbnail by thetripscaptain
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Really needed the "All of the above" option on this question☺

When I am not living in an apartment, I: grow and cook with, make teas from, and enjoy sachets made of all different kinds of herbs.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I cook with thyme, basil, rosemary and chive from my garden...

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Sweet basil, spicy globe basil, sage, rosemary, chives and mint. Will expand when the weather cools off in October.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I cook with my parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, chervil, chives, tarragon, oregano and lavender. I have some extra rosemary, thyme, lavender and basil which I keep separate in a planter and I bring it inside on my enclosed porch over the winter. The rosemary lives but the others don't always.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I have and cook with Sage, dill, parsley, basil, cilantro, chives, mint, rosemary, and trying a bay this year.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I grow and cook with: Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Parsley, Thyme, and Sage.

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

I clicked on 'Other'.......I have a Lemon Balm shrub growing and use the leaves crushed for a pretty good insect repellant. I just grab a handful and rub them over arms and legs.

Wow, thanks for that idea, Orenda!! With all the rain we've had, the number of mosquitos in these woods are at an all-time high.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Grow and cook with: Dill, Parsley, Rosemary, Cilantro, 2 kinds Basil, Sage, Chives, Thyme, and Oregano..Do Garlic and Onions count???? EVERY dish you cook is much better with fresh herbs!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Makes me happy just to think of how much growing herbs enriches the experience of gardening and cooking! I grow the usual culinary ones that everyone else does--this year I decided to cut back on tomato and squash plants and increase my herb plantings around them. So far, it's been a race between me and the chipmunks and bunnies in some cases--this is a banner year for small critters on the Cape. I also have some volunteer dill and fennel plants from last year that I'm going to grow tall for the butterflies.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I marked other because I use herbs for other things not listed like cosmetics, medicinal and feline recreation. I use them in cooking,tea and sachets as well.
Goldenseal and comfrey combined has saved me 1000's in doctor visit alone.
I also use comfrey and nettles as fertilizer. The more I think about it the more I recall. Marigold, tansy, daisy and catnip as rodent and insect repellant. Herbs are a wonderful gift from the GOD. Thank you LORD.

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

I grow and use basil, sage, rosemary, chives, parsley and cilantro. I love growing dill, but I always turn around and find it eaten entirely and while I like butterflies, that's a bit much some times! We like tarragon, but guess I missed getting any this year. Some years we plant others, but those are pretty much our basics. We move some of the pots to our garage and add a grow light for the winter months, and I keep promising myself I'll get the aero-garden going with the others this fall.

Carlsbad, NM(Zone 7b)

1,2 and 4 Dill, parsley, basil, spearmint, oregano and rosemary. Catnip for my 4 legged "children". Feverfew and St. John's wort beacause they are pretty. Soon to add a few more.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Catmint, lemon balm, mexican mint, lavendar for tea.

Chives, garlic chives, rosemary, cilantro for cooking and adding to salads.

Catnip for the cats.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I love rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, lemon balm, spearmint, dill, parsley (flat and curly) etc. I eat them, cook with them, and I'm always sure to plant lots for the butterflies.

It's nice to see all the catnip growers for all the spoiled rotten kitties! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.