Do you grow and use herbs?

Pahrump, NV
There are a total of 160 votes:

Yes, I cook with my herbs. (which ones?)
(96 votes, 60%)
Red dot

I grow herbs that I use in teas.
(8 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I grow parsley and fennel for the butterflies.
(8 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I grow herbs for farmer's market sales.
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I grow herbs for scenting sachets and potpourri.
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Other?. (tell us!)
(17 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I don't grow herbs.
(26 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Love to cook with herbs, but

They also make wonderful companions to other plants. Most strong scented herbs make chemicals that compete with other plants, attract one type of insect while repelling another, change soil chemistry, etc. If you grow to understand these interactions (try searching on the internet for "allelopathy" or "companion planting"), you can manipulate the natural cooperations & competitions to your advantage.

Webberville, MI

Lemon balm, chives, leeks, parsley, oregano, sage, several types of mint, lavender, rosemary, fennel. Trying dill again. I've had trouble keeping it going. Can't understand why, since I've been told it will grow anywhere.

Middleburgh, NY

My goodness, do I love herbs! Can't tell by the name, can you? I grow a couple hundred herbs. I cook with them, make stuff to sell with them, (salves, balms, sprays, etc), smell them, enjoy the folk lore of them. Can't get enough herbs!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Although I grow Parsley and Fennels for butterflies. Thai basals is a must for summer dishes. Lakwas (mostly for ornamental purpose) lemon grass Beefsteak, mints and chamerleons for salads mix and more.

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

I grow herbs for all of the reasons you listed except for selling.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks to all of you who plant extras for the butterflies!! I plant solely for the butterflies, I never think to go get some for cooking. LOL! Once you have experienced raising one of the caterpillars and watching the butterflies emerge, you wouldn't be picking off any more of them. Georgeous facinating insects.

This little cat turns into a Eastern Black Swallowtail butterfly.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

I grow parsley, oregano, thyme, epazote, rosemary, lovage, sage. chives, anise, dill, hoja santa, rue, bee borage, bee balm, lemon verbena ... all of which I grow for cooking, making tea, and keeping my bees and butterflies happy ...

Plainfield, PA(Zone 6a)

I live in an apartment with a nice selection (5) of self-watering flower boxes. Basil and parsley have done especially well. Mint is indestructible. Rosemary and thyme have been fairly good. I love the smell of fresh herbs in cooking - especially rosemary and basil. Fresh basil and raw tomatoes - fantastic. Rosemary in cooking - wonderful. They are easy to grow, and still look good on my balcony with the help of a few strategic petunias. I've learned to let the last of the season's production go to seed for next year, because the cost of these seeds is rediculous. Basil does especially well branching. Keep pinching back the top and it will divide, over and over - lots of stems from one root.

Irving, TX

I grow cooking, tea, and butterfly herbs.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7b)

I have basil, woolly thyme, chives, rosemary, lavender, and 6 kinds of mint: peppermint, spearmint, Corsican, chocolate, pineapple, and orange.

I took a class on ethnobotany and learned that the Mayans did and still do have these things called door gardens, where they'd grow all the herbs and plants used in cooking right around their house, so whenever they're needed they could just go out and pick them and not have to forage for them or buy them at a market. They also used the door gardens as places to experiment with new plants.

Danville, IN(Zone 5b)

I grow my own herbs and I make tea, salves and soaps from them....almost three decades now.
I have treated my children and I now make it for their children.

Clairton, PA

I grow basil, dill, tarragon, parsley, rosemary, oregano and mint.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.