Summer clematis chatter...

Thomaston, CT

No, the fence is pretty high, & around trees....no clear space to jump over.....it may have been a squirrel, but the clem is up a trellis....oh, well. could have been a squirrel!

Louisville, KY

We have an abundance of squirrels and they will climb anything. We have yet to find a bird feeder that they don't finally get into.

onto my Omo Shiro. It is now 10 inches tall and appears to be thriving. I had earlier this year put a stepping stone path in the garden. I put one of the left over stones on the roots of the omo. The stone is about 3 inches thick.

Since then I have been a little side lined. I was cutting dead heads in my garden and happened to cut off just the tiniest end of my finger.

(Zone 7a)

OUCH!!!

Louisville, KY

yep it hurt pretty good the first day. The doc gave me some hydrocodone an d i used it that first day.

(Zone 7a)

I haven't done that but I have snipped the webbing between fingers. Yikes!

Athens, PA

hydrocodone makes me sleepy....

Louisville, KY

ouch to cutting the webbing between your fingers.

Carolyn the hydrocodone made me sleepy too.

(Zone 7a)

Hydrocodone puts me to sleep for hours, too. LOL

Thomaston, CT

Nasty accidents!

(Zone 7a)

I'm sure we've all had worse. It's sure hurts like the dickens at the time.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Gardeners with sharp implements... we get so excited with what we are doing, we don't pay attention to it!

Athens, PA

Is that like "Runs with Scissors"? ^_^

Louisville, KY

same thing

Athens, PA

^_^

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Carolyn, how are things in Pa. I used to live in the Norristown area, close to Phili. Here I am finnaly getting some flowers on my Clematis, just planted one more H.F. Young, it was marked down to 5 dollars, could not leave it . On my trellis is some week Rebecca, but is hanging in there, my old HF young is blooming and the new one is under the bamboo trellis. I have to build it a taller trellis.

Thumbnail by kiseta
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

When you're done, Etelka, could you come over and build me some trellises, too?

Year after year the clematis will bring you more and more blossoms. Keep them mulched!

Athens, PA

Etelka

PA is hot and dry - they keep flirting with the word 'draught'. Last year was hot and dry like this as well. Hopefully we will have some rain soon.

I put another layer of mulch into my gardens this year, but I think I lost my Graveyte Beauty. I won't really know until next year.

Such nice photos you have to share with us. Please keep them coming.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My new clematis from Brushwood Nursery gave some decent blooms in the past few weeks. This is Miguel Viso.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Clematis Huvi was found blooming when I came back from vacation.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My NOID that was cut back 2/3rds came back beautifully with a nice flush of blooms, which are larger than they were in Spring, and no green tinge to the blossoms as it had earlier this year.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

View from the driveway. I'll definitely continue to trim the clemaits from now on, knowing that I'll get more blooms instead of waiting a whole year to seem them again. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165

You did extremely well, Annette! That Huvi is a great deep color and the no ID, especially where you have it planted, looks picture perfect. Miguel Viso looks like he's climbing a tree. They are all grand! Keep up the good work.

Taylorsville, KY

Gorgeous and fun to see this time of year ! kim

Thomaston, CT

Love the saturated color of Huvi....

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks y'all :-).

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice to see the photos, thanks for posting them ~j

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

Pirl, your clems are just lovely and so many!!! I've enjoyed looking at everyone's clem.

Thank you. I enjoyed looking at all the photos and Carolyn's Madame Julia Correvon finally got me to buy one.

Has anyone ever grown a clematis in a deep hanging basket with success?

Taylorsville, KY

Pirl, if anyone can make it happen; it would be you ! I would worry about the basket being "flung" around by wind but I think it is an intriguing idea....I hope you get an affirmative from someone out there.....

Ha! I am very tempted to try Guernsey Cream in a lovely hanging basket given to me by my lovely daughter. I just don't know how brave/stupid I am to try it. Hanging it from the limb of the tree will be a daunting task.

This is the basket as I first spotted it at a nursery, last year.

The worst that can happen is that I fail so it's worth a try for the price of the clematis, right?

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

The basket is really lovely!

Thanks, Marilyn. It's very wide but not very deep. We'll find out how Guernsey Cream adapts.

Taylorsville, KY

Pirl....you go girl ! The hanging basket is gorgeous and I know you will do it and the clem justice and I'm really looking forward to seeing THAT experiment. Will you be planting it after Irene blows through...? Or, next spring ?? kim

First I have to read up on Raymond Evison's articles about planting clematis in containers, then I'll have to buy a liner to fit and then I'll need courage to do it. I do really appreciate your vote of confidence! Getting up on a ladder to hang the chain will require some kind of personal reward...maybe a box of Godiva would do it...maybe.

The area where it will go faces my late neighbor's home - her name was Irene. How ironic is that?

Thomaston, CT

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Taylorsville, KY

HA ! My middle name is Irene = ) (My initials spell my name.) That seals it pirl ! I will gladly send you said Godiva as your reward for such a feat of courage and your beautification of our clem forum. And it won't be the little box, either ! kim

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Godiva chocolates for hanging a clem, sounds like a winner!

I read somewhere that one can use bubble wrap to line pots, wonder if that would work for you? ~Jan

Thanks for the wonderful and extremely generous offer, KIM, but looking at the tree outside it somehow didn't seem that the limb was so far up the tree. I'll attach a photo and you can check the XXX mark. Our ladders don't even go that far! I'll have to see if there's a flat enough surface on the tree to put a bracket to hold the basket.

Interesting idea, Jan. I'll consider it once the storm passes. There might not be a tree! It's a Box Elder - very soft wood and my own fault that I allowed it to grow there: live and learn.

Somehow my climbing a huge ladder and attempting something so daring reminds me of when I thought it might be a neat idea to use the leaf blower to get dog hair out of the kitchen radiators. Do not try it! Pictures go flying, glass breaks, all the dog hair goes flying...but I was hysterical laughing so it was chalked up as another "life experience I wouldn't repeat".

Thumbnail by pirl
Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

I can picture that Pirl! I too have done things like that - ideas that seem like good ones at the time.... Stay dry & safe ~Jan

"Ideas that seem like good ones at the time" - too many events like that! Thanks. It's the trees and downed limbs from Irene that could have us stranded and it did happen back in '92. All the neighbors got together and cleaned up the downed trees and limbs and we were free within a few hours.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.