Summer clematis chatter...

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

My goal is to eventually get a 'red', white, & blue clem all growing up that 20 foot tv tower. Thanks, I am happy with the color too.

Gotta love the versatility of that hat! ~j

(Zone 7a)

The chatter seems to have died down. Does that mean most of you don't have blooms to show?

My Henryi deigned to put out another bloom. Deformed but still pretty. Sort of.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Dayton, OH

Pirl, I meant to tell you I really like your female Scarecrow, I have only seen men.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I do have more blooms, Kwanjin, but I've been out working in two different gardens trying to get them done before the major heat wave hits and just finished in the last hour.

I'll return tomorrow with photos. Even my newest one from Joy Creek, 'Pauline', is in bloom.

My Henryi blooms were very few and very ugly this year - that's a first for that to happen.

Thanks, roseycats! I had only seen male scarecrows myself but wanted something different.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My Pink Champagne is blooming. I've just been so busy at work, I'm too tired when I get home to post. I'm going on vacation next week, thank goodness, so I'll try to post some pictures then. All the new clematis are putting on good growth, except Omoshiro. I hope it's growing some mighty roots. LOL,Annette

My original Omoshiro put on the growth after I doused it with a gallon of water and Epsom Salt in very early June. Here it is on July 10th, just 37 days after I fed it with the ES while it was still just a brown stick with no growth at all.

There are a few more buds yet to open.

The other two Omoshiro I bought this spring from Brushwood are fine and healthy but no big time growth showing, which is fine with me.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 7a)

Okay, good. So mine isn't the only one. All my clems are giving me trouble this year. Blue Light has stopped putting out anything, Henryi has the one bloom and Dr. Ruppel...well, it gets flower buds but then the stem tip they're on dies or entire stems wilt. More stems are being put out but I'm missing the flowers. I love that one so much and it kills me I don't have any. I have to live vicariously through yours.

Sorry about the disappointment of clem's this year, Celia. Only a few performed normally:

The President
Hagley Hybrid
Duchess of Albany
Princess Diana
Pinky
Multi Blue
Belle of Woking
Dr. Ruppel (pictured here)
Jackmanii, as always

Thumbnail by pirl

The p in pirl is for the sweet, departed, former neighbor who taught me to garden: Pauline Isabelle Reid Loeffler = pirl.

So I had to buy it when I saw it at Joy Creek and now it has begun to bloom - just three months after it arrived!

Thumbnail by pirl

It's so dainty!

Thumbnail by pirl

Not a great shot but I'll try and get better ones as they open.

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Pirl, I finnaly got a bloom on clematis that the grasshoppers did not chew up over night. It is a H.F Young I bought in Lows a month ago, it is doing nice, so lately I have been keeping eye on them in the stores. As you see in the back ground I am enlarging my sunny garden, I have been digging early in the morning, it has been in the upper 90 for weeks. I hope to plant some zinnias and some other full sun flowers. I hope you are well.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Athens, PA

I just love the bell shaped clems!

Thomaston, CT

I'm happy to hear that other folks' clems are wonky this year....Ibi & Gypsy Queen from Brushwood are climbing right up the trellis, & Ibi bloomed....Omoshiro is just a few brown dead leaves...will give it the epsom salt treatment....Ruutel is browning as well, Pink Fantasy looks healthy, but no blooms for the second year.....

Etelka - expanding gardens is a good thing and it's far easier to mow a long curve than gardens with soldier straight lines. Your H.F. Young is doing very well. While I do love zinnias they resent our humid August weather and develop mildew so the only ones that tempt me are 'State Fair'. They're big and beautiful.

Carolyn - me, too!

Wonky describes it perfectly, Marilyn. I've never had a year when so many clematises just began to bloom in July. After you water the lazy ones be sure they have a few inches of the mulch of your choice to keep the moisture in the soil. Second year for me, too, with Pink Fantasy and still not a single bloom.

Louisville, KY

It is always good to stop in here and say hello to my clem friends. My Omoshiro almost died back completely since I planted it. I decided to dig it up , repot it and
put it under lights in the basement. I began digging it up and found that it had quite a nice bit of roots. I loosened the ground around the roots and then left it in the ground . Lo and behold it has sprouted a new stem which looks to be about 4 inches long. Who knows?

Thomaston, CT

Well, that sounds promising...guess I won't touch mine....

Louisville, KY

OH NO ROBIN The terrible responsiblity . lol. I hope it works for you...and for me too.

John

Good job, John. They probably would welcome a gallon of water during this heat.

Thomaston, CT

LOL....I'm sure your suggestion, John, will be fine if Omoshiro is dead or alive.....

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's Pink Champagne that I got from Brushwood this Spring. I'm quite happy with the growth. Besides Omoshiro, Kardynal Wyszynski is now also acting foolish. It was growing fine, with nice stems, now most of the stems look dead except one. It's been cut back to the good stem, and let's see what happens.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

PC up close.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

In your garden it's much darker than it is up here, Annette. Very pretty.

Just a reminder to all clem lovers to water them well during this extreme heat and make sure they have mulch - three inches of it. Use anything you have but please protect their entire root zone. They want cool and moist conditions.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

heres my Pink Champagne

Thumbnail by glevely
Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the reminder Pirl. I have been watering it, and have mulch, but not 3 inches. I am glad to get more information. Problem is, I am 700 miles away. My pet sitter is also supposed to water, but my (single) clem is not as tall as it should be, and behind some tall daisies. But I am hearing that my area has been getting rain, so I am crossing my fingers that it comes through fine.

PC is very pretty ~Jan

Very nice, Gloria. That's more the color mine was until montana Grandiflora smothered it but I do have a new one growing.

The tall daisies should provide some shade for your clem, Jan.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I have black plastic mesh there now so it is growing up the porch post my neighbor gave me a roll of it I wish he could remember where he got it from I need LOTS more theres 8 clems growing on the porch
Gloria

I just saw a mesh that's designed for vegetables but the place might have the kind you need. Is it the same as Deer Mesh/Netting or Bird Netting? Google images for each while I look for the vegetable mesh.

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/garden-growers/supports-ties-and-fences/garden-trellis-prod001220.html?catId=3052&trail=

See if you like it and if you think it could work for you.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

nop thats not it It's black and feels like plastic not supposed to rot or stretch it has small squares may be 1/2 inch and you need SHARP knife to cut it

Like this netting (deer mesh) on the left side of the photo?

Here's a whole page from Google on different kinds of mesh and netting and various sizes and prices. Always check shipping charges.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=2&oq=deer+mesh&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS418US418&q=deer+mesh+fence

Thumbnail by pirl
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

nop smaller but that looks better going to go check out the link thank you sooo much
Gloria
mine is only 18 inches wide

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 9:46 AM

Happy hunting, Gloria. Check out Gardener's Supply and all other leads.

Dayton, OH

Maybe lowe's

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'v been serching on and off since spring but I'll find some hing by spring thats when I 'm going to realy need it thank you ladies

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My Rebecca finaly bloomed, but the flower has white streaks in it, is that from the heat, or it is not a Rebecca.??

Thumbnail by kiseta

There are times when the first blooms aren't so perfect. See how they open in another week or two. Keep the faith, Etelka!

Thomaston, CT

My new Gypsy Queen was about to bloom ....something snipped the entire top off, and ate part of the bud that was left.....the yard is fenced...no idea what could have done that!

That's strange. The deer have often nibbled on one clematis that hangs down from a large hydrangea Tardiva but I can't imagine what critter, aside from deer, could have done that to your clematis. Here they jump 12'. Any chance one could have leaped over your fence?

(Zone 7a)

Squirrels could have. We have them but only rarely do we see them. But every once in awhile, we'll see damage from them. The abundance of cats in the neighborhood keep them mostly away, thank goodness.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.