Summer clematis chatter...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1184376/

Neither rain nor drought, heat or cold should keep us from chatting endlesssly about our clematises.

The big surprise, shock and awe type, was my old Belle of Woking clem's and their blooms back in late May and early June. They performed beautifully.

Thumbnail by pirl

For the first time I noticed a fringe around the outside of each blossom - very pretty.

Thumbnail by pirl

The strong sunshine did fade them but they were still the most colorful they've ever been.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here the fringe shows a bit more clearly.

Thumbnail by pirl

Fireworks was so beautiful and the many blooms lasted a full three weeks.

Thumbnail by pirl

Dr. Ruppel, the only survivor of the disaster co-op (not Koi) from years ago, was another strong performer for me. I love the bud in front just ready to burst open.

Thumbnail by pirl

H. F. Young was as good as always.

Thumbnail by pirl

Our montana Grandiflora was a blooming mainiac.

Thumbnail by pirl

Niobe was especially beautiful showing off some great color, which varies from hour to hour here.

Thumbnail by pirl

Niobe, again, on the same trellis - same exact plant.

Thumbnail by pirl

The President is always reliable for beautiful blooms and it's still producing new blooms after close to a month.

Thumbnail by pirl
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Just set this thread to 'watch', enjoying the gorgeous bloom shots, thanks pirl for the inspirational photos!

Well, duh, if I post, it gets put put on my watch list anyways!

Taylorsville, KY

Pirl: Your words and pictures are always such an treat--thanks for everything you do here ! I LOVE the fringe ! kim

Thanks, Sue - it's been a very "duh" day here!

Kim - thanks! I don't know the official term for it so I just call it fringe. What a treat.

More to come.

This 19 year old Jackmanii had to be cut back severely even before it bloomed since it had, once again, invaded the lantern.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 1:48 PM

Thumbnail by pirl

A closer shot of it.

Thumbnail by pirl

So, did it behave and stay away from the inside of the lantern? No way!

Thumbnail by pirl

Piilu (Little Duckling) was a glorious surprise when I spotted it a few days ago. I had planned for it to bloom on hydrangea 'Tokyo Delight' but the hydrangea doesn't want to bloom yet.

Thumbnail by pirl

Hydrangea 'Tokyo Delight'. Any sane person would have seen the label saying July 27th but clearly I missed it (so much for my sanity) so it will never bloom with Piilu. Win some, lose some.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Pirl, your clems are fabulous....I have Pink Fantasy growing up my lamppost.....this is year 2, but no blooms yet.....I had one blossom of Niobe appear, & I'm afraid the clems are just getting whacked by all this heavy rain.....

Thanks! Between the rain this month and all the cool weather, it just isn't the best clematis year, Marilyn.

Here's an unbelievable clematis we spotted on Cape Cod. It goes up two stories. I think it's Broughton Star but until someone agrees or gives me another name, I am only guessing at it.

Thumbnail by pirl

A bit closer. No fragrance but just an overwhelming presence.

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Wow...that is impressive!

One more of it to come!

Close up. The best part of is that if it's Broughton Star, I just planted it before we left and it's growing by leaps and bounds.

Thumbnail by pirl

We'd never have seen it except for the fact we loved the blueberry pancakes at the restaurant across the street so we decided visit again.

Thumbnail by pirl
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Pirl how tall or big dose your Piilu get ?? I just planted one on a post thats about 5 feet tall (the post) I would love for it to cover !! I kind of new to this clem thing but all of a sudden in 2 years I have 10 ;0)
Gloria

(Debra) Garland, TX

ooh, blueberry pancakes! do we have smellovision yet?

Gloria - It's fairly new so too soon to say how tall it will get. I bought it from Brushwood and they should have information as to the height. The link says 5 to 7'.

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/small-flowered-clematis-4/clematis-piilu-169.html

Those pancakes were divine, Debra!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Pirl, your clematis are beautiful. I found my newly planted Mrs. Cholmondeley blooming last week, hidden by the iris and peony leaves. What a thrill.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Annette, that is beautiful. Isn't it so exciting when something like that happens?

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks Pirl !

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks pirl, I love surprises. When is it recommended to cut back the older clematis that have already bloomed, to get a second flush of blooms? I know it was mentioned on an earlier thread, but I can't remember which one ?

Some say just cut out anything that's weak or dead while others cut back by a half or a third. I think it's a personal decision since many of us can't bear to cut back healthy, happy growth.

Athens, PA

Cem

what zone are you in? If you cut back your clems after flowering, you should be able to get several flushes out of them. I have seen where some in the zone 8ish regions can get as many as 3 flushes of flowering from their clems.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

PIrl, so happy to see your Belle has such beautiful color!
I am in zone 8 and cut back both type 2 once and type 3 many times after they bloom. The ones that are more established get 3 -4 flower flushes. Our season starts early and ends in November, sometimes later............ Don't be too jealous...it has been close to 100F degrees for the last 3 weeks and just a few clems are happy about that.

Today I wore a long sleeved top for the entire day and wasn't even too warm for the whole day - 8+ hours in the garden. I couldn't bear 100 and come inside at 80. I know I'm a wimp!

Our high was 68 and our low was 61 and that was fine with me. I may lose some clematis blooms but I don't lose my mind trying to garden in the heat.

Please spell wimp with an upper case W. Thanks.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I can only garden before 12 and after 6 as long as it is in the shade.It has been windy which helps although it is like a blowdryer on high.When I first moved here, I almost fainted just going to the mailbox (100feet away) One August I was at my sister's house in Montreal (my hometown) and I had such a good time out in the yard that whole day. I think 60 -70 is ideal! OK I will still call you WIMP!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Carolyn, I'm in zone 7b here. This will be my first year cutting them back during growing season. I'm interested to see how they'll do. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.