Critters Big and Small Vol. 9

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

They are just so darn cute!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

tails! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yike, Nan. They're cute but they 'fished' on my pond and a dozen or so of gold fish and shubunkins disappeared. I wouldn't mind if they visit briefly and move on. Priceless pix!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

That spider pic on the hand is incredible! I could not have done that... but it made a great photo!

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Racoons are very cute but those of us with chickens are glad to have a good dog to keep them away. Sorry they got your fish Lily!

Jumping spiders are like pets around my house. We frequently feed them (some unlucky fly that comes in the house and gets smacked with the swatter, impaled on a pin, and then wiggled in front of the jumper, who promptly pounces on it like a cat, and then runs to a comfy spot to enjoy the easy meal.) I've never been bitten by one so I don't know how bad the bite is if they do bite. I think they know they are welcome around my place (since they eat insects I don't want around.)
The only spiders we worry about getting bit by are (of course) the black widow and brown recluse which are terminated on sight.

Thumbnail by Gazoodles

cute as buttons but I have no wish for them to stick around! Luckily no sign of them today. Did just see a fawn though!

here is the Fawn....only got a couple shots before a neighbor putting out their trash scared them off.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's a beautiful animal, nice shot Nan.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I love it when the purple prairie clover blooms because the bees get these big pollen saddlebags. At least I think it's pollen.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

oh nice shot! I tried to get one yesterday but didn't turn out so good!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've seen a bee with that 'pollen saddlebags' too, only they weren't as big a bag. lol

Damselfly on Pine Apple salvia;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

You guys have done wonders with your shots. A not so willing for a photo shoot, ladybug. Only shot of it.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I was taking pictures of the wild flowers, and didn't realize right away I had a pink moth sleeping inside a flower.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

My excitement of that day, was this bear coming toward me. I was in my van. When he saw me, I was reaching for my camera, I only caught him running off into the woods.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 3:18 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh wow, what an adventurous day Bernadette! I love the moth and the ladybug, but a bear! wow, wow, how exciting!

Well it's not a bear or adorable fawn, but a mating pair of Mydas Flies.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Marna, that's a great shot!!!

Wow..at burn's bear and another Wow for that one Mrs. Ed...nice!

Thanks burn and nan,

Chick out this one, that just happened the second or two before. The larger (male??) had landed, but the female had to hover until flying to the right and landing on the lily blade. Poor thing.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Marlton, NJ

Excellent catch Mrs_Ed!!

cool!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow! That is an incredible catch and photo Mrs_Ed!

Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

Painted Lady butterfly on a Coreopsis bloom

Thumbnail by DWMike
Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

Another of the same butterfly

Thumbnail by DWMike

We had company over yesterday and the little fawn popped out for an appearance right on que!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Beautiful butterfly photo Mike, and the fawn is such a welcoming sight for the company I'm sure, Nan.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Aww......... Nanny that is a darling fawn.

DWMike, love your butterfly shot.

Damselfly on my Calla lily leaf.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

While collecting leaves for the caterpillars, I found this fellow, don't know what he'll turn into.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Very nice capture, burn.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hmmm, could he be a "longtailed skipper". Just a wild guess. Ha.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

How I wish, but doubt it, we don't get those up here. :(

sure looks like a skipper with that head.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Kim, meant to say we don't get the long tailed, but do get other kind of Skipper. I got 2 of the Skipper cats in the box with the Silk Moth cats. Should I leave them together?

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bernadette, I wished I knew. What do they eat? grass? I found a caterpillar today, by the way its head looks, I suspected it's a skipper too. Too many butterflies too little time. lol

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

All the cats eat of the birch tree at the moment.

I like to separate species, just in case…. Probably should ask over at the butterfly forum.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Marna, I'll do that.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A water turtle of some kind.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

Found this tiny Common Tree Cricket Nymph (Oecanthus) on some spiderwort in my garden,

Thumbnail by DWMike

wow...how tiny!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.